PDA

View Full Version : Kids I Have Seen

Texasteel
11-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Lets try to keep our breakdowns in one place so they will be easy to find and go back to.

Alex Mack / Center / Cal. / 6'5" - 315 - 5.13/40 / 1st round.
Strong in run blocking and pass protection. Great footwork and technique. Hardly ever misses a block and can engage at the line, slip the block and move down field. Works till after the whistle, and I have seen him get a little nasty. Could probably start for most teams next year, could start for ours tomorrow. I haven't wanted anyone this bad since that little blond in the 10th grade.

Eric Wood / Center / Louisville / 6'4" - 305 - 5.10/40 / Probably 3rd round.
Saw him for the 1st time yesterday and he surprised the hell out of me. Very strong, with good footwork. Will drive the DT off the line often 5 yards deep. Not as good at down field blocking as Mack, but not bad either. Keeps in front of his man on pass protection and never gets driven back, at one point I saw him block 2 pass rushers and neither of them got close to the QB. Seems to control his man easily. A lot like Mack but not as good at this time. If we don't get Mack or Luigs, I would grab him in the 3rd.

Peria Jerry / DT-DE / Old Miss. / 6'2" - 300 - 4.95/40 / 2nd, maybe 1st round.
Quick for his size. Strong and will take on blockers and hold at the line. Comes of the line low and has good drive in pass rush. Looks to me that he may rely a bit to much on his physical strength and may need to develop a couple more moves in the pros. Kids got one hell on a motor, and just wouldn't quit. Can he play DE for us? I think so. Don't think I want him in the 1st, but if he's there in the 2nd I got to think hard about it. 3rd round, no brainier, but not going to happen.

Mitch King / DE / Iowa / 6'3" - 278 - 4.70/4 / 5th or 6th round.
Now you knew there would be 1 Iowa Kid. The heart and sole of a very good D-line. Strong, hard working , blue collar type, the type Pittsburgh and their fans fall in love with. Plays for whistle to whistle, will not give up on any play. Good tackler, it he gets his hands on them, they go down, and hits like a truck. Could make a very good backup in our 3-4 line.

Mark Parson / CB / Ohio / 5'10" - 195 - 4.39/40 / 4th or 3rd round.
Can play man to man and is not afraid on anyone. Will run stride for stride with almost any WR. and breaks up a lot of passes. Will punish a WR after he does make the catch. Hits very very hard. Doesn't give up the big play to often. This is my 2nd favorite player in the draft.

Louis Vasquez / Guard / Texas Tech. / 6'6" - 335 - 5.25/40 / 5th or 6th round.
Is sliding because of injury's this year, but he does not have a history of injures. I believe he played 22 consecutive games before this year. Did not give up a sack last year playing for pass happy Texas Tech. Big body with descent footwork, will help to hold the middle of the line which I think we need help at. Probably would need a years work before he is ready to really contribute.

The Duke
11-23-2008, 09:53 AM
I like what I saw in Eric Wood. Mack is great, but something tells me he'll be picked before the steelers

In that case, Wood could work as a 2nd-3rd rounder. I like the the way he always drive forward, that's just what we need

Mark Parson / CB / Ohio / 5'10" - 195 - 4.39/40 / 4th or 3rd round.
Can play man to man and is not afraid on anyone. Will run stride for stride with almost any WR. and breaks up a lot of passes. Will punish a WR after he does make the catch. Hits very very hard. Doesn't give up the big play to often. This is my 2nd favorite player in the draft.

He sounds pretty good too :thumbsup:

Good breakdown tex

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Tex, did you see the LSU-Ole Miss game? Had a look at some guys that I already mentioned in the 2009 Mock thread, but here are a few more.

Curtis Taylor- FS, LSU....big and tall safety, but didnt look like he had great range. Was late getting over on a few pass plays and while a good hitter, he wasnt in the action a lot in run support.

Marlon Favorite- DT-LSU.....solid 3 technique guy that plugs the middle on run plays and gets a good bull rush in the pass to disrupt the pocket. Looks like a 4-3 DT, but not a 3-4 DE. Might be a 3rd round or later guy.

Tyson Jackson- DE, LSU- Again, I dont see the hype on Jackson. He likes to stand up and play "patty-cake" in pass rush. The rebels TE #80 handled him in pass blocking several times. In the run game Jackson holds his own, but not what I would call a premier run stuffer. He could go in the first round by all the hype, or could slide and be the Dre Moore of this years draft.

Herman Johnson OG LSU- Just a massive man. Comes out low in run blocking and immediately stands up which allows the DT's to get leverage on him. He just falls forward and moves the pile. Good feet for such a large guy and handles his own in pass protection. Not a guy that is gonna pull or get downfield well on screens, but more a Larry Allen, Flozell Adams guy that locks onto defenders and keeps pushing. If he can learn to keep low he can be great, or if he can drop some LB's he might be a better RT.

Michael Oher- OT Ole Miss- like I said before, he is the total package in a LT and will go in the top 5 or 10 picks.

Peria Jerry, DT Ole Miss- Posted elsewhere that I like his game, strong, great motor, stays low and might be a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. Should go in the end of the 1st or then the 2nd round.

Ciron Black- OT LSU. Saw some of the same things here as in the Alabama game. not great technique, decent feet, but dips his head in pass protection a lot. He got swam, ripped and bull rushed by Hardy several times and beat, but luckily the pass plays were quick 3 step drops. Run plays he looks to use a shoulder and defenders slip off him, but when he uses his hands he locks on well. At least he stayed on his feet more than compared to the Bama game. Black should stay another year. All I have seen says he is a 4th rounder or later, but many have him as a top 5 tackle......he just hasnt show it that much to me.

Greg Hardy DE Ole Miss- Hardy looked quick and surprisingly powerful for a smaller DE. At 265 lbs, he looked more powerful than Tyson Jackson did, or he just did a better job bull rushing Ciron Black than Jackson did John Jerry. He was apparently injured or coming off one, but looked like an interesting prospect for a 4-3 DE. Might be too big to play OLB for a 3-4, but can rush the passer.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Lets try to keep our breakdowns in one place so they will be easy to find and go back to.

Alex Mack / Center / Cal. / 6'5" - 315 - 5.13/40 / 1st round.
Strong in run blocking and pass protection. Great footwork and technique. Hardly ever misses a block and can engage at the line, slip the block and move down field. Works till after the whistle, and I have seen him get a little nasty. Could probably start for most teams next year, could start for ours tomorrow. I haven't wanted anyone this bad since that little blond in the 10th grade.

Eric Wood / Center / Louisville / 6'4" - 305 - 5.10/40 / Probably 3rd round.
Saw him for the 1st time yesterday and he surprised the hell out of me. Very strong, with good footwork. Will drive the DT off the line often 5 yards deep. Not as good at down field blocking as Mack, but not bad either. Keeps in front of his man on pass protection and never gets driven back, at one point I saw him block 2 pass rushers and neither of them got close to the QB. Seems to control his man easily. A lot like Mack but not as good at this time. If we don't get Mack or Luigs, I would grab him in the 3rd.

Glad to see you are coming around to Wood....I still have him graded above Luigs (only because I think he fits our scheme better)

Nice to think that we could possibley get a OC in the 1st....2nd...or 3rd round. I think this draft is going to provide us with an OT..and an OC...but we may find it harder to come up with the DE that we need..

I have been looking at some other DT's that may be able to play DE in the 3-4...

Fili Moala USC...6'4. 292 lbs
Been in some legal trouble but he has the muscle..

Vince Oghobaase from Duke 6'6 310 lbs
I dont see an ounce of fat on this dude...His size reminds me a little of Mario Williams

Jarron Gilbert from San Jose State 6'5 286 lbs
My sleeper favorite for this year....He has 21.5 tackles for loss and 9 sacks ....We may be able to get him at the end of the 3rd to 4th round.

Dorell Scott of Clemson 6'4 310 lbs
Described as having a great work ethic...and can bench press a mini-van

Texasteel
11-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Glad to see you are coming around to Wood....I still have him graded above Luigs (only because I think he fits our scheme better)

Nice to think that we could possibley get a OC in the 1st....2nd...or 3rd round. I think this draft is going to provide us with an OT..and an OC...but we may find it harder to come up with the DE that we need..

I have been looking at some other DT's that may be able to play DE in the 3-4...

Fili Moala USC...6'4. 292 lbs
Been in some legal trouble but he has the muscle..

Vince Oghobaase from Duke 6'6 310 lbs
I dont see an ounce of fat on this dude...His size reminds me a little of Mario Williams

Jarron Gilbert from San Jose State 6'5 286 lbs
My sleeper favorite for this year....He has 21.5 tackles for loss and 9 sacks ....We may be able to get him at the end of the 3rd to 4th round.

Dorell Scott of Clemson 6'4 310 lbs
Described as having a great work ethic...and can bench press a mini-van

You can put me on the Wood bandwagon, but I do want to see him again.. I would still rather have Mack, but say we could make a move to get one of the sure fire OTs and still pick up Wood. That could instantly improve out O-line.

Oghobaase, and Scott both look to me to have more of a NT mentality, but that doesn't mean they couldn't make the switch. I think there may be a few other names you may be able to add, Evander Hood of Missu. Vance Walker of GT, Ricky Jean-Fancois of LSU if he comes out. We may not be able to find an starter, but there may be a quality backup there. I don't know anything about Jarron Gilbert, but if you like him I intend to watch for him.

Texasteel
11-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Tex, did you see the LSU-Ole Miss game? Had a look at some guys that I already mentioned in the 2009 Mock thread, but here are a few more.

Curtis Taylor- FS, LSU....big and tall safety, but didnt look like he had great range. Was late getting over on a few pass plays and while a good hitter, he wasnt in the action a lot in run support.

Marlon Favorite- DT-LSU.....solid 3 technique guy that plugs the middle on run plays and gets a good bull rush in the pass to disrupt the pocket. Looks like a 4-3 DT, but not a 3-4 DE. Might be a 3rd round or later guy.

Tyson Jackson- DE, LSU- Again, I dont see the hype on Jackson. He likes to stand up and play "patty-cake" in pass rush. The rebels TE #80 handled him in pass blocking several times. In the run game Jackson holds his own, but not what I would call a premier run stuffer. He could go in the first round by all the hype, or could slide and be the Dre Moore of this years draft.

Herman Johnson OG LSU- Just a massive man. Comes out low in run blocking and immediately stands up which allows the DT's to get leverage on him. He just falls forward and moves the pile. Good feet for such a large guy and handles his own in pass protection. Not a guy that is gonna pull or get downfield well on screens, but more a Larry Allen, Flozell Adams guy that locks onto defenders and keeps pushing. If he can learn to keep low he can be great, or if he can drop some LB's he might be a better RT.

Michael Oher- OT Ole Miss- like I said before, he is the total package in a LT and will go in the top 5 or 10 picks.

Peria Jerry, DT Ole Miss- Posted elsewhere that I like his game, strong, great motor, stays low and might be a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. Should go in the end of the 1st or then the 2nd round.

Ciron Black- OT LSU. Saw some of the same things here as in the Alabama game. not great technique, decent feet, but dips his head in pass protection a lot. He got swam, ripped and bull rushed by Hardy several times and beat, but luckily the pass plays were quick 3 step drops. Run plays he looks to use a shoulder and defenders slip off him, but when he uses his hands he locks on well. At least he stayed on his feet more than compared to the Bama game. Black should stay another year. All I have seen says he is a 4th rounder or later, but many have him as a top 5 tackle......he just hasnt show it that much to me.

Greg Hardy DE Ole Miss- Hardy looked quick and surprisingly powerful for a smaller DE. At 265 lbs, he looked more powerful than Tyson Jackson did, or he just did a better job bull rushing Ciron Black than Jackson did John Jerry. He was apparently injured or coming off one, but looked like an interesting prospect for a 4-3 DE. Might be too big to play OLB for a 3-4, but can rush the passer.

Yes I did see the game and got it recorded and I will be watching it again.

I've always liked Favorite but I'm not sure he has a place on our line.

Both Jackson and Black are really pissing me off, cause I know they are better that they are playing. Jackson seems to just want to try an run around blocks and Black has gotten to where he just throws himself and the defenders legs instead of taking them on. Right now they can both take a flying leap for all I care..

Did It look to you like Curtis Taylor got a late brake on all most every play. He just didn't look to me that he was sure what he was going to do next.

Oher is Oher and will be gone before I get back from the bathroom.

I really like Jerry, but I think we would have to us our 1st pick on him.

Herman Johnson is now LSUs best lineman, but I am afraid will cost to much. Besides I still really like Vasquez of Texas Tech.

Have you see Jason Smith of Baylor this year?

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-26-2008, 03:51 AM
You can put me on the Wood bandwagon, but I do want to see him again.. I would still rather have Mack, but say we could make a move to get one of the sure fire OTs and still pick up Wood. That could instantly improve out O-line.

Oghobaase, and Scott both look to me to have more of a NT mentality, but that doesn't mean they couldn't make the switch. I think there may be a few other names you may be able to add, Evander Hood of Missu. Vance Walker of GT, Ricky Jean-Fancois of LSU if he comes out. We may not be able to find an starter, but there may be a quality backup there. I don't know anything about Jarron Gilbert, but if you like him I intend to watch for him.

I think he has quietly led the nation in tackles for loss....granted we have to take his level of competition into consideration...but I think he is this years "Langford"

(Of course that means that he will shoot up the boards and we will have no chance to get him:banging:)

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Yes I did see the game and got it recorded and I will be watching it again.

I've always liked Favorite but I'm not sure he has a place on our line.

Both Jackson and Black are really pissing me off, cause I know they are better that they are playing. Jackson seems to just want to try an run around blocks and Black has gotten to where he just throws himself and the defenders legs instead of taking them on. Right now they can both take a flying leap for all I care..

Did It look to you like Curtis Taylor got a late brake on all most every play. He just didn't look to me that he was sure what he was going to do next.

Oher is Oher and will be gone before I get back from the bathroom.

I really like Jerry, but I think we would have to us our 1st pick on him.

Herman Johnson is now LSUs best lineman, but I am afraid will cost to much. Besides I still really like Vasquez of Texas Tech.

Have you see Jason Smith of Baylor this year?

I agree. Favorite is pretty much a 4-3 DT and doesnt fit well in a 3-4. Jackson plays much like Bruce Davis did at UCLA...he doesnt engage the blocker in pass rush and actually seeing the Miss TE handle him wasnt impressive.

Yeah, Taylor looked like a slow 230lb safety, but he only weighs somewhere around 205. Pass on him. Jerry could possibly be around in the top of the 2nd and we would have to trade up and get him, much like was done to draft Marvel Smith in the 2nd round.

Herman Johnson doesnt fit with the Steelers IMO. He's like a bigger,stiffer version of Max Starks that plays guard. I too like what I saw of Vasquez, also like Dockery from Texas and the Wisconsin guard Kemp. Robinson will be gone early.

I havent seen Jason Smith at all. Read some good things, but tough to say. Converted TE, has the height at 6'5", but a little light at under 300lbs. Have to see if he has the frame to add more weight and how he is in the run game.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-29-2008, 09:48 AM
I havent seen Jason Smith at all. Read some good things, but tough to say. Converted TE, has the height at 6'5", but a little light at under 300lbs. Have to see if he has the frame to add more weight and how he is in the run game.

Smith might be another one of those players that drive us crazy...by shooting up the draft board when we think that he might be a steal in the second round

Smith played one year at TE at Baylor then switched to OT in 2006......he has pretty quick feet and therefore nice footwork and he has a very nice hand punch....I have him at 6'4 and 305.... some scouts say that his negatives are that he has been hampered by a bad knee, missing three games in 2007 and two this year. Also said that he has room to gain strenth.

I havent seen anywhere where he has pigeon-holed him as a zone blocker,,,but have seen several draftnicks say that it is very hard for DE's to get the corner on him.

Very intriguing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Smith might be another one of those players that drive us crazy...by shooting up the draft board when we think that he might be a steal in the second round

Smith played one year at TE at Baylor then switched to OT in 2006......he has pretty quick feet and therefore nice footwork and he has a very nice hand punch....I have him at 6'4 and 305.... some scouts say that his negatives are that he has been hampered by a bad knee, missing three games in 2007 and two this year. Also said that he has room to gain strenth.

I havent seen anywhere where he has pigeon-holed him as a zone blocker,,,but have seen several draftnicks say that it is very hard for DE's to get the corner on him.

Very intriguing.
Thanks, I cant find any Baylor games on to watch, so this is good to hear. I think Kiper has him as the #3 OT, so probably already shooting up the boards. If he is to be a Steeler, he needs to run block, so I would like to see him do that.

Guys in last years draft like Chris Williams, Sam Baker I thought didnt have the run game to be Steelers and Cherilus had trouble with speed rushers, so scared me too. Oher, Monroe, Andre Smith, Loadholt, Boone all can run block, but maybe only Loadholt and Boone will be there when we pick. If this Smith is a solid run blocker....he is in the mix and may help another quality guy drop to us.

Texasteel
11-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Well, with the season Baylors had we won't be seeing anymore of their games. I guessing that we will probably see him in the Senior Bowl, then the combine. I just never have gotten all that excited by converted TEs. I remember one Iowa had.

Texasteel
11-30-2008, 01:56 PM
I would like to hear your oppinions of Mitch King. I won't ever pertend to be objective.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-01-2008, 05:09 AM
I would like to hear your oppinions of Mitch King. I won't ever pertend to be objective.

LOL...at least your honest.

I see him at 15.5 tackles for loss..4 sacks..and 52 tackles for the season...which tells me that as a DT he has the ability to take on offensive linemen and get into the backfield.

My one concern with King is his size...I have seen him listed at 6'3 280...but other sites have him as small as 6'1 264 lbs. At the lower size he has no chance as a DT in the pros and no chance as a DE in a 3-4 defense. His best bet may be as a DE with a team like the Colts.

All that being said...if he is 6'3 280....I think he is a legit 5-6 round pick as a potential reserve DE for a team that runs a 3-4.

Texasteel
12-01-2008, 05:34 AM
LOL...at least your honest.

I see him at 15.5 tackles for loss..4 sacks..and 52 tackles for the season...which tells me that as a DT he has the ability to take on offensive linemen and get into the backfield.

My one concern with King is his size...I have seen him listed at 6'3 280...but other sites have him as small as 6'1 264 lbs. At the lower size he has no chance as a DT in the pros and no chance as a DE in a 3-4 defense. His best bet may be as a DE with a team like the Colts.

All that being said...if he is 6'3 280....I think he is a legit 5-6 round pick as a potential reserve DE for a team that runs a 3-4.

I believe the 6'3", but think his weight is going to be in the mid 270s, I would expect him to try to bulk up before the combines. We may not have a honest answer before the combines.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-01-2008, 05:44 AM
I believe the 6'3", but think his weight is going to be in the mid 270s, I would expect him to try to bulk up before the combines. We may not have a honest answer before the combines.

You are probably right...I remember Timmons being listed as 6'3 until the combine.

I like the numbers your boy is putting up...(and still have a feeling that Humpal will surprise some people next year)

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I just never have gotten all that excited by converted TEs. I remember one Iowa had. :chuckle: I'm still baffled by that one. Gallery was to many "the safest pick on the board"

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-01-2008, 10:29 AM
:chuckle: I'm still baffled by that one. Gallery was to many "the safest pick on the board"

Gallery is soooo inconsistent with his hand technique... he remains too upright in his stance...and for a man who is 6'7 his arms are too short .... measured at 32 1/4 inches rather than the 35 inches preferred by NFL teams.

It doesnt help that he has been playing on a unsettled line for one of the worst teams in the league. He had four O-line coaches in four years...and has moved between left tackle, left guard and right tackle.

I think when a player has incredible measurables....and if the college team he played for was able to hide his deficiencies...it is next to impossible for a Pro team to weed out players like Gallery.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2008, 11:20 AM
LLT, the flip side is that a guy like Sam Baker with short arms, low weight and good technique too could look good in college and not be a good pro. Its such a crazy process.

Hoping to see more of Jason Smith in a bowl game or Senior Bowl. Honestly, Senior Bowl week is my favorite week of football(way better than the combine), I know I'm not normal. :noidea:

Texasteel
12-02-2008, 02:02 AM
LLT, the flip side is that a guy like Sam Baker with short arms, low weight and good technique too could look good in college and not be a good pro. Its such a crazy process.

Hoping to see more of Jason Smith in a bowl game or Senior Bowl. Honestly, Senior Bowl week is my favorite week of football(way better than the combine), I know I'm not normal. :noidea:

I'm ashamed to say, living here I could have watched him any time I wanted but have him pegged as a zone blocker and just didn't pay much attention. I believe the Senior Bowl will be the next chance to see want he can really do. If he does well I think he will go before we pick, but, like you said, would then push one more player to us. I have all his measurable except his arm length. Does anyone know that?

By the way point to the one of us you think IS normal.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2008, 03:41 AM
OL class is talented, balanced
By Nolan Nawrocki
Pro Football Weekly
Nov. 26, 2008

This season’s OT class might not feature eight first-round left tackles like there were in 2008, but it should feature at least half as many and could be very good with the help of some underclassmen. There are some solid interior linemen as well, with more talented centers in this year’s draft than usual. The OG class is not especially strong and does not figure to receive a lot of help from the underclassmen ranks, which only should increase the premium that recently has been placed on the position in free agency.

OT prospects

1. OLT Andre Smith, Alabama (Jr.)
6-4e, 330e, 5.3e

A massive, naturally strong left tackle who earned a starting job the minute he stepped on campus, Smith shed 25 pounds in the offseason and improved his agility and balance. A key reason why the Crimson Tide has risen to the top of the college football world and have yet to lose a game, Smith mashes defensive linemen with his overpowering size and physicality and clears wide running lanes. Does not have as much length as Orlando Pace but is a similar type of natural talent. With more athletic feet than Panthers ORT Jeff Otah, Smith possesses the reflexes and recovery speed to stay on the left side in the pros. Should step into a starting lineup immediately and start a long time in the NFL. Will improve if he can convert more baby fat into muscle.

2. OLT Eugene Monroe, Virginia (Sr.)
6-5 1⁄8, 310, 5.2e

Excellent-sized, finesse left tackle with very good feet, Monroe has the ease of movement to mirror his man effortlessly and handle the speed rush. Is not a glass eater and overall toughness could be called into question, although he did show he would hit USC LB Brian Cushing in the mouth. Furthermore, Monroe does not need to be a war daddy on the left side, where his most important assignment is in pass protection. A well-coached, solid technician who understands blocking angles and maintains good positioning, he should be able to contribute readily in a similar mold as Jets 2005 fourth overall selection D’Brickashaw Ferguson, whom he backed up upon entering Virginia. Was not elected a team captain and may not be a vocal leader but is a solid, smart, steady presence.

3. OLT Jason Smith, Baylor (Sr.)
6-4½e, 300e, 5.15e

A converted tight end with natural athletic ability and foot quickness, Smith plays in an option offense where he’s asked to vertical set out of a two-point stance and could take some time adjusting to the pro game. However, he has shown he can kickslide and protect the edge and should get better with coaching. He lacks lower-body strength to anchor and needs to continue getting stronger, but Smith is smart, has very good work habits, has continually improved and shows the attitude and desire on tape to excite evaluators. Flashes some nastiness and is very efficient pulling and moving in space. If he can retrain his feet to where he does not have to rely so much on his upper-body strength, he could start for 10 years.

4. OLT Michael Oher, Mississippi (Sr.)
6-5e, 330e, 5.2e

Oher is an enigma who looks every bit the part with long arms and natural strength and athletic ability that cannot be taught. After cycling through the foster system, he has had to deal with three different position coaches in four years and has had difficulty finding the stability and continuity needed to truly blossom. Shows the ability to knock defenders on their backs one play but can look completely disinterested the next. Has been coddled throughout college and could be challenged to handle the trappings of success that come with the NFL. Initially began his career inside at Ole Miss, where he had help on each side and could be better covered up, and some evaluators are convinced his best chance will come inside. Whether inside or outside, Oher will require some time to adapt to the pro game and possesses as much bust potential as any elite tackle in the draft.

5. OLT Trent Williams, Oklahoma (Jr.)
6-4½e, 310e, 5.15e

Similar to Saints ORT Jammal Brown, who played on the right side at Oklahoma before being moved to the left side in the NFL, Williams has the athletic ability and foot quickness to project to the left side in the pros. He is a more natural athlete than Sooners OLT Phil Loadholt, grades out highly as a run blocker and pass protector and shows the ability to dominate. The most talented blocker on a solid, senior-laden offensive line, Williams could benefit by returning to school for another season, but he has the type of physical traits to warrant considerable interest.

Interior OL prospects

1. C-OG-OT Max Unger, Oregon (Sr.)
6-4½, 310, 5.25e

Not many centers or guards have the foot quickness and playing strength to handle playing on an island, but Unger has shown he can and his five-position versatility has drawn a lot of attention from NFL evaluators. Few NFL teams have a center with his size, quickness and versatility, and those that do still can plug him in as a guard. Would not be effective starting at left tackle but is good enough to fill in during a pinch, as he has done at Oregon, and can get a team through a game or two. Has good balance, hand quickness and efficiency to get to the second level and has positioned himself as the top center in the draft.

2. OLG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma (Sr.)
6-5½e, 335e, 5.3e

When Robinson wants to play, he can be very effective and block out the moon with his sheer size and overall mass, but he too often has gotten away with just going through the motions. With a bad body that looks like it has never seen a weight room, Robinson needs to commit himself to the game and reshape himself to correct his balance issues, stay healthy and remain out of trouble. A big, physical road grader who knocks defenders off the ball and flashes the ability to dominate as a drive blocker, Robinson has been slowed by an ankle injury this season and needs to take the game more seriously to maximize his potential.

3. C Alex Mack, California (Sr.)
6-3 7⁄8, 310, 5.1e

Is smart, naturally strong, very tough and will grind defenders into the ground with the warrior’s mentality with which he plays. However, he does not always play to his size because his hips are so tightly wound that he struggles to bend, uncoil and stay on his feet, resulting in too much time on the ground. His lack of hip flexibility has left evaluators questioning his core functional football playing strength, which is very important when trying to match up with big-bodied pluggers. Should be a solid NFL starter but always could struggle handling massive widebodies.

4. OLG Herman Johnson, LSU (Sr.)
6-6 7⁄8, 370e, 5.3e

A big-boned, massive power masher who can bring value as a run blocker, Johnson’s giant size and lack of quickness will knock him off the draft boards of teams such as the Broncos and Texans, who desire more quickness in the trenches to reach, pull and zone off areas. However, for teams such as the Dolphins, Panthers and Bears that favor a power running game, Johnson will warrant more interest. Has weighed as much as 400 pounds and must show that he can control his weight to make it in the NFL. The heavier he gets, the more he struggles bending and finishing blocks. Would be most effective at less than 350 pounds.

5. OG-C Andy Levitre, Oregon State (Sr.)
6-2, 320, 5.25e

A college left tackle who will be limited on the outside in the pros by his lack of height and arm length, Levitre projects to guard in the NFL. Has the intelligence and quickness to perhaps be an even better center than guard. However, he never has played guard to date and will have to show evaluators in postseason all-star games that he can handle the move. Is innately strong with quick and strong hands and shows enough athletic ability to pull, trap and move in space. A good, tough football player with inside versatility, Levitre has improved his draft stock with a solid senior showing.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/posrptol.htm

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2008, 03:44 AM
I'm ashamed to say, living here I could have watched him any time I wanted but have him pegged as a zone blocker and just didn't pay much attention. I believe the Senior Bowl will be the next chance to see want he can really do. If he does well I think he will go before we pick, but, like you said, would then push one more player to us. I have all his measurable except his arm length. Does anyone know that?

By the way point to the one of us you think IS normal.

At the 2005 Nike camp his arm length measured at 35 inches.

Texasteel
12-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Is it possable that Oher falls into the teens? If he does do we give want ever it takes to move up for him?

Maybe a draft of Oher, Wood. I might be happy if those were the only picks we got.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2008, 05:05 AM
Is it possable that Oher falls into the teens? If he does do we give want ever it takes to move up for him?

Maybe a draft of Oher, Wood. I might be happy if those were the only picks we got.

I think it is more likely that Jason Smith...Ciron Black....and Eben Britton are the three top OT's left on the board by the end of the 1st.

I think we can get Wood in the 4th round..so that shouldn't be a problem....I was just crunching some of the draft data...and trying to see where people may fall (as of now)...

We could have a draft as good as this:

1) OT Jason Smith, Baylor
Height: 6-5. Weight: 305.

2) NT B.J. Raji, Boston College
Height: 6-1. Weight: 325.

3) CB Mark Parson, Ohio
Height: 5-10. Weight: 195.

3c) DE Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 287.

4) OC Eric Wood, Louisville
Height: 6-4. Weight: 305.

5) FB Jorvorskie Lane, Texas A&M
Height: 6-0. Weight: 285.

6) OT Jason Watkins, Florida
Height: 6-6. Weight: 310.

7) DE Will Johnson, Michigan
Height: 6-5. Weight: 295.

Texasteel
12-02-2008, 05:42 AM
I think it is more likely that Jason Smith...Ciron Black....and Eben Britton are the three top OT's left on the board by the end of the 1st.

I think we can get Wood in the 4th round..so that shouldn't be a problem....I was just crunching some of the draft data...and trying to see where people may fall (as of now)...

We could have a draft as good as this:

1) OT Jason Smith, Baylor
Height: 6-5. Weight: 305.

2) NT B.J. Raji, Boston College
Height: 6-1. Weight: 325.

3) CB Mark Parson, Ohio
Height: 5-10. Weight: 195.

3c) DE Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 287.

4) OC Eric Wood, Louisville
Height: 6-4. Weight: 305.

5) FB Jorvorskie Lane, Texas A&M
Height: 6-0. Weight: 285.

6) OT Jason Watkins, Florida
Height: 6-6. Weight: 310.

7) DE Will Johnson, Michigan
Height: 6-5. Weight: 295.

Still need to see Smith and Gilbert, but at this moment I like that draft.
Would you consider Brannan Southerland for Lane? I think he blocks better and is a better receiver out of the backfield, without giving up to much in short yardage.
I love Wood in the 4th, and you know you made me smile with the Parson pick.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Still need to see Smith and Gilbert, but at this moment I like that draft.
Would you consider Brannan Southerland for Lane? I think he blocks better and is a better receiver out of the backfield, without giving up to much in short yardage.
I love Wood in the 4th, and you know you made me smile with the Parson pick.

Parson is a beast...and yea...I would consider Southerland...I havent heard much about his foot injury but he is legit.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-02-2008, 01:33 PM
That PFW article is interesting.....but really shocking to me.

Jason Smith not having lower body strength is a red flag to me. Says zone block scheme.

Max Unger rated over Mack is shocking too. If Mack is there...we take him!! I taped the Oregon-Cal game and broke it down. Mack blocks with that warrior mentality and IS naturally strong. Unger looks like a guy that lacks leg strength and routinely got pushed in the backfield. Steelers may decide that Hartwig is good for a few more years and pass....but I like Mack a lot.

The Oher eval is interesting. Maybe he has the bust potential, but on film my top OT's are 1. Oher 2. Monroe 3. Andre Smith 4. Phil Loadholt 5. Boone (J. Smith sounds like he will go ahead of Boone or Loadholt). Is Britton coming out this year????

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2008, 02:50 PM
That PFW article is interesting.....but really shocking to me.

Jason Smith not having lower body strength is a red flag to me. Says zone block scheme.

Max Unger rated over Mack is shocking too. If Mack is there...we take him!! I taped the Oregon-Cal game and broke it down. Mack blocks with that warrior mentality and IS naturally strong. Unger looks like a guy that lacks leg strength and routinely got pushed in the backfield. Steelers may decide that Hartwig is good for a few more years and pass....but I like Mack a lot.

The Oher eval is interesting. Maybe he has the bust potential, but on film my top OT's are 1. Oher 2. Monroe 3. Andre Smith 4. Phil Loadholt 5. Boone (J. Smith sounds like he will go ahead of Boone or Loadholt). Is Britton coming out this year????

PFW is a strange duck....they are usually pretty on track with the largest percentage of players...but then will have HUGE gaffes with other players that are head-scratching. (I think that is the deal with Mack)...

In the Pro game they also tend to be rather prejudiced against certain teams...like the Steelers...and are some of the BIGGEST knob-slobberers for the Patriots.

So take about 90% of what they say and throw away the info that goes against every other draft board.

Mack WILL go before Unger...and Smith's strength is still an unknown.

I dont think Britton has declared yet...but I think he will.

XxKnightxX
12-03-2008, 09:14 AM
OL class is talented, balanced
By Nolan Nawrocki
Pro Football Weekly
Nov. 26, 2008

This season’s OT class might not feature eight first-round left tackles like there were in 2008, but it should feature at least half as many and could be very good with the help of some underclassmen. There are some solid interior linemen as well, with more talented centers in this year’s draft than usual. The OG class is not especially strong and does not figure to receive a lot of help from the underclassmen ranks, which only should increase the premium that recently has been placed on the position in free agency.

OT prospects

1. OLT Andre Smith, Alabama (Jr.)
6-4e, 330e, 5.3e

A massive, naturally strong left tackle who earned a starting job the minute he stepped on campus, Smith shed 25 pounds in the offseason and improved his agility and balance. A key reason why the Crimson Tide has risen to the top of the college football world and have yet to lose a game, Smith mashes defensive linemen with his overpowering size and physicality and clears wide running lanes. Does not have as much length as Orlando Pace but is a similar type of natural talent. With more athletic feet than Panthers ORT Jeff Otah, Smith possesses the reflexes and recovery speed to stay on the left side in the pros. Should step into a starting lineup immediately and start a long time in the NFL. Will improve if he can convert more baby fat into muscle.
2. OLT Eugene Monroe, Virginia (Sr.)
6-5 1⁄8, 310, 5.2e

Excellent-sized, finesse left tackle with very good feet, Monroe has the ease of movement to mirror his man effortlessly and handle the speed rush. Is not a glass eater and overall toughness could be called into question, although he did show he would hit USC LB Brian Cushing in the mouth. Furthermore, Monroe does not need to be a war daddy on the left side, where his most important assignment is in pass protection. A well-coached, solid technician who understands blocking angles and maintains good positioning, he should be able to contribute readily in a similar mold as Jets 2005 fourth overall selection D’Brickashaw Ferguson, whom he backed up upon entering Virginia. Was not elected a team captain and may not be a vocal leader but is a solid, smart, steady presence.

3. OLT Jason Smith, Baylor (Sr.)
6-4½e, 300e, 5.15e

A converted tight end with natural athletic ability and foot quickness, Smith plays in an option offense where he’s asked to vertical set out of a two-point stance and could take some time adjusting to the pro game. However, he has shown he can kickslide and protect the edge and should get better with coaching. He lacks lower-body strength to anchor and needs to continue getting stronger, but Smith is smart, has very good work habits, has continually improved and shows the attitude and desire on tape to excite evaluators. Flashes some nastiness and is very efficient pulling and moving in space. If he can retrain his feet to where he does not have to rely so much on his upper-body strength, he could start for 10 years.

4. OLT Michael Oher, Mississippi (Sr.)
6-5e, 330e, 5.2e

Oher is an enigma who looks every bit the part with long arms and natural strength and athletic ability that cannot be taught. After cycling through the foster system, he has had to deal with three different position coaches in four years and has had difficulty finding the stability and continuity needed to truly blossom. Shows the ability to knock defenders on their backs one play but can look completely disinterested the next. Has been coddled throughout college and could be challenged to handle the trappings of success that come with the NFL. Initially began his career inside at Ole Miss, where he had help on each side and could be better covered up, and some evaluators are convinced his best chance will come inside. Whether inside or outside, Oher will require some time to adapt to the pro game and possesses as much bust potential as any elite tackle in the draft.

5. OLT Trent Williams, Oklahoma (Jr.)
6-4½e, 310e, 5.15e

Similar to Saints ORT Jammal Brown, who played on the right side at Oklahoma before being moved to the left side in the NFL, Williams has the athletic ability and foot quickness to project to the left side in the pros. He is a more natural athlete than Sooners OLT Phil Loadholt, grades out highly as a run blocker and pass protector and shows the ability to dominate. The most talented blocker on a solid, senior-laden offensive line, Williams could benefit by returning to school for another season, but he has the type of physical traits to warrant considerable interest.

Interior OL prospects

1. C-OG-OT Max Unger, Oregon (Sr.)
6-4½, 310, 5.25e

Not many centers or guards have the foot quickness and playing strength to handle playing on an island, but Unger has shown he can and his five-position versatility has drawn a lot of attention from NFL evaluators. Few NFL teams have a center with his size, quickness and versatility, and those that do still can plug him in as a guard. Would not be effective starting at left tackle but is good enough to fill in during a pinch, as he has done at Oregon, and can get a team through a game or two. Has good balance, hand quickness and efficiency to get to the second level and has positioned himself as the top center in the draft.

2. OLG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma (Sr.)
6-5½e, 335e, 5.3e

When Robinson wants to play, he can be very effective and block out the moon with his sheer size and overall mass, but he too often has gotten away with just going through the motions. With a bad body that looks like it has never seen a weight room, Robinson needs to commit himself to the game and reshape himself to correct his balance issues, stay healthy and remain out of trouble. A big, physical road grader who knocks defenders off the ball and flashes the ability to dominate as a drive blocker, Robinson has been slowed by an ankle injury this season and needs to take the game more seriously to maximize his potential.

3. C Alex Mack, California (Sr.)
6-3 7⁄8, 310, 5.1e

Is smart, naturally strong, very tough and will grind defenders into the ground with the warrior’s mentality with which he plays. However, he does not always play to his size because his hips are so tightly wound that he struggles to bend, uncoil and stay on his feet, resulting in too much time on the ground. His lack of hip flexibility has left evaluators questioning his core functional football playing strength, which is very important when trying to match up with big-bodied pluggers. Should be a solid NFL starter but always could struggle handling massive widebodies.

4. OLG Herman Johnson, LSU (Sr.)
6-6 7⁄8, 370e, 5.3e

A big-boned, massive power masher who can bring value as a run blocker, Johnson’s giant size and lack of quickness will knock him off the draft boards of teams such as the Broncos and Texans, who desire more quickness in the trenches to reach, pull and zone off areas. However, for teams such as the Dolphins, Panthers and Bears that favor a power running game, Johnson will warrant more interest. Has weighed as much as 400 pounds and must show that he can control his weight to make it in the NFL. The heavier he gets, the more he struggles bending and finishing blocks. Would be most effective at less than 350 pounds.

5. OG-C Andy Levitre, Oregon State (Sr.)
6-2, 320, 5.25e

A college left tackle who will be limited on the outside in the pros by his lack of height and arm length, Levitre projects to guard in the NFL. Has the intelligence and quickness to perhaps be an even better center than guard. However, he never has played guard to date and will have to show evaluators in postseason all-star games that he can handle the move. Is innately strong with quick and strong hands and shows enough athletic ability to pull, trap and move in space. A good, tough football player with inside versatility, Levitre has improved his draft stock with a solid senior showing.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/posrptol.htm

I love all the guys in the Alabama line, they are smashsmouth guys who get so low and just snowplow anyone in front of them. Best of all they dont wait for plays to develop, they will just kick you in the ass plain and simple.

As far as the other guy I like him as well, I did watch him go hard against cushing, but then again, Cushing was a juicer.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Anybody see FB Conridge Collins at Pitt?? Reading up that he is a good blocker, but really good receiver out of the backfield.

He might fit Arians pass catching needs and possibly be a better blocker than Davis.

Texasteel
12-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Anybody see FB Conridge Collins at Pitt?? Reading up that he is a good blocker, but really good receiver out of the backfield.

He might fit Arians pass catching needs and possibly be a better blocker than Davis.
I am looking forward to seeing a lot of these kids I have missed in the bowl games, but expecaly in the Senior Bowl, or the Blue-Gray game

MasterOfPuppets
12-10-2008, 11:25 AM

He might fit Arians pass catching needs and possibly be a better blocker than Davis.haven't you heard ? .....the fans are firing arians.....:toofunny:

Texasteel
12-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I just read that Eben Britton has sent the paperwork to th NFL Draft Advisory Committee to determine his draft status this year. I would think the answer would come back mid 1st round and he would enter the 2009 draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-13-2008, 08:44 PM
haven't you heard ? .....the fans are firing arians.....:toofunny:

Its OK, I have been educated that Arians doesnt draft players so I guess its some more LB's and RB's in the draft anyways.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-13-2008, 08:50 PM
I just read that Eben Britton has sent the paperwork to th NFL Draft Advisory Committee to determine his draft status this year. I would think the answer would come back mid 1st round and he would enter the 2009 draft.

Wow......this could make things interesting. He may be the best OT in the Pac-10 and possibly the 5th best in the draft. Hey Tex.....hypothetical question....say Mack, Britton, Loadholt, Black, Tyson Jackson are still on the board at #30 for the Steelers. Who do you pick?

MasterOfPuppets
12-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Its OK, I have been educated that Arians doesnt draft players so I guess its some more LB's and RB's in the draft anyways.
sweed's a bust, so they could go WR....:wink02: ......Tyson jackson has been tossed out of every first rd mock i've seen lately. out of your options, why not take the not only best player at his position, but some consider "the best" center to come out in a long time....Mack....i'd also be happy with duke robinson .i'd REALLY like to see the war room get agressive this year and make some trades to land at least 2 of this years top Olinemen. trade future draft picks and get these guys NOW while we have a good core of skill players. by the time they fix the line woes, it'll be time to fix every other position.

Aussie_steeler
12-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Wow......this could make things interesting. He may be the best OT in the Pac-10 and possibly the 5th best in the draft. Hey Tex.....hypothetical question....say Mack, Britton, Loadholt, Black, Tyson Jackson are still on the board at #30 for the Steelers. Who do you pick?

Definitely Mack is the guy to pick closely followed by Britton. Loadhold will still be around in the 2nd to be taken. Black and Jackson will go somewhere in between our first and second picks.

However I could go with this scenario

#1 - Britton LT
#2 - Tupou RT
#3a - Wood C
#3b - Urbik G
#4 - Brace DT

That could fill some gaps in a hurry.

Texasteel
12-14-2008, 06:22 AM

I haven't seen Britton yet, only know him by reputation. But if what I hear is right and he can play in our system. I would probably go with him.
I still love Mack and think he would be a great pick for us, but I think that there are other centers that would greatly upgrade our line that we can get in the 2nd or 3rd round. ( I still like Wood ). I do think that Britton would be our last chance in this draft to get one of the top echelon OTs, and I don't think we could pass on that. Black has disappointed me greatly recently, and if Britton was gone I would probably take Mack and hope for Loadholt or Boone later.