PDA

View Full Version : The Home Stretch

Edman
11-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Next four games.

@Pats 7-4, Cowboys 7-4, @Ravens 7-4, and @Titans 10-1.

Can it get even more brutal? It would be nice if we got a few wins, but I don't know if the Steelers can do it. Signs are pointing to a 'limp into the playoffs' deal like last year, or we may even miss the playoffs entirely.

The Defense is awesome, but New England has owned it recently, offense is still a bit messy, and this Steelers team is prone to blowing games (Blowing 14-9 and 17-7 leads to NY and Indy).

Those Colts and Giants games really hurt now. This is not good.

Galax Steeler
11-23-2008, 04:28 PM
If we can win half them games then we will be ok I would say out of the two the Ravens and the Tiatans is going to be our toughest opponents.

The Duke
11-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Well, if they don't beat any of this team they don't deserve to be in the playoffs

I prefer playing this teams than teams like the lions. Much more exciting

All we can do is hope for the best, I know this team will get it done :tt03:

Blonde Bomber
11-23-2008, 04:33 PM
I kinda disagree, I think Dallas and the Pats will be more of a challenge, only because they can score points. If our D has troubles, it could get ugly.

Steel_Bus_24
11-23-2008, 04:42 PM
If our O plays like they have been we will get beat by 7-10 points by every one of those teams.

Its mainly the lack of a strong running game that worries me....

when your struggling to run on a Bengals front...that should scare the hell out of you

We can't play the same way against these teams....our running game has to come around or it will be the end of us.We'll become one dimensional, and they'll be able to tee off on Ben whose already gimped.

Im not saying its all doom and gloom either we absolutely have the potential to win every game but its going to take an attitude adjustment....a sense of urgency that Im not sure they have yet.

Because if we lose to NE and Bal we will be in some serious trouble with the way things are shaping up in the AFC.

chucoblack&gold
11-23-2008, 04:46 PM
I kinda disagree, I think Dallas and the Pats will be more of a challenge, only because they can score points. If our D has troubles, it could get ugly.

was thinking the same thing as well. if our D struggles we'll have issues catching up, our offense continues to sputter :doh:

OneForTheToe
11-23-2008, 04:51 PM
If we win our two remaining division games then io think we will be fine. Outside of that, becuase of tie breakers, the NE and Tenn. games are more important than beating the "cowchips."

As for NE and Dallas, neither team has a great D. They are both especially susceptible against the run. So, if we are going to get out running game going, the next two weeks are an opportunity.

X-Terminator
11-23-2008, 04:54 PM
They can beat any of those teams, especially if the D shows up and plays to their capability, which I think they will. The onus is on the O to play solid football and score to take pressure off the D and put themselves in good position to win. That said, I think they split the next 4 games, beating the Cowgirls and upsetting the Titans, and losing to the Pats* and Rats. Then all they will need to do, provided the Rats lose at least 1 more game, is beat Cleveland in the final game to lock up the division and at least the #3 seed.

NYC SteelersFan
11-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Well, if they don't beat any of this team they don't deserve to be in the playoffs

I prefer playing this teams than teams like the lions. Much more exciting

All we can do is hope for the best, I know this team will get it done :tt03:

My thoughts exactly. If they can't finish the season 3-2 then we really won't do much in the playoffs anyhow. I personally see us getting beat by the patriots and winning out the rest of the games even though Fischer has always F'ed us somehow. Alhough I hope we don't lose to the Patriots. I don't care how many times Cassel throws for 400. It's his first year, our defense needs to put the fear of horrible pain into him and then they need to make his fear a reality at some point in the game.

Steel_Bus_24
11-23-2008, 05:35 PM
My thoughts exactly. If they can't finish the season 3-2 then we really won't do much in the playoffs anyhow. I personally see us getting beat by the patriots and winning out the rest of the games even though Fischer has always F'ed us somehow. Alhough I hope we don't lose to the Patriots. I don't care how many times Cassel throws for 400. It's his first year, our defense needs to put the fear of horrible pain into him and then they need to make his fear a reality at some point in the game.

We better not let them do that dink and dunk BS and control the clock....

I cannot stand their FFing O.

And Farrior and Foote better be moving their butts to cover Faulk.......They have repeatedly been owned by him on Man Coverage in previous encounters. How many critical 3rd downs has that liitle turd picked up them over the years.

Maybe Timmons is the answer hes faster

fansince'76
11-23-2008, 05:39 PM
We better not let them do that dink and dunk BS and control the clock....

I cannot stand their FFing O.

And Farrior and Foote better be moving their butts to cover Faulk.......They have repeatedly been owned by him on Man Coverage in previous encounters. How many critical 3rd downs has that liitle turd picked up them over the years.

Maybe Timmons is the answer hes faster

We take the short stuff away and make them try to go deep - Cassel has trouble with the deep ball.

Preacher
11-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Next four games.

@Pats 7-4, Cowboys 7-4, @Ravens 7-4, and @Titans 10-1.

Can it get even more brutal? It would be nice if we got a few wins, but I don't know if the Steelers can do it. Signs are pointing to a 'limp into the playoffs' deal like last year, or we may even miss the playoffs entirely.

The Defense is awesome, but New England has owned it recently, offense is still a bit messy, and this Steelers team is prone to blowing games (Blowing 14-9 and 17-7 leads to NY and Indy).

Those Colts and Giants games really hurt now. This is not good.

I agree that the schedule is pretty tough. We NEED the win against the Ravens and the Pats IMO. We need to shoot for the 2nd playoff spot, though if the Titans lose another one and we win out, we will take the first spot by virtue of a tie breaker, either first or second place. However, if we beat the Pats, then we have the tiebreaker against them, and they still make overtake the Jets, though the Jets would have to sputter.

However, I have no idea how the "Signs are pointing to a 'limp into the playoffs' deal" like last year. Could you explain this to me? We are 7-3. We have lost only one game so far in the second half of the year (2-1), and our Defense is looking VERY strong, whereas it started falling off this time last year. Furthermore, our offensive line and offense in general are starting to come together, instead of starting to come apart like last year.

No, I think this stretch is starting to look just the OPPOSITE of last year.

We are prone to blowing games? 7-3, against three of the hottest teams in the league when we played them. No, I doubt we are truly PRONE to blowing games. How about the games we DIDN"T "blow" against the Ravens, the Chargers, and the Jags?

IMO we BLEW one game, and played bad in a couple others.

This is not good??? HUH?? 7-3, an offense that is beginning to come alive. 10 days for our injuries to heal again. Number 1 Defense in EVERY category. I think we are doing pretty dang good. . . . provided we get a new punter! :chuckle:

Preacher
11-23-2008, 05:43 PM
We take the short stuff away and make them try to go deep - Cassel has trouble with the deep ball.

Yep, and also don't forget, we are playing with a healthy Troy P. We haven't had that in a couple years.

DJ919
11-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Pats, Cowboys, Ravens, Titans...
I really think that if our Steelers play "Steelers" football, we are very much capable of getting 4 out of 4. At the least 3 out of 4.. Each of these 4 teams have QBs that WILL crack under the preasure of our Defense, so it will be very important for our Defense to establish a strong-hold. Nothing out of the norm, just intimidate the hell out of the shakey & pampered QBs that all 4 of these teams have. Punch em straight in the mouth with blitz combo packages out the wazoo. As far as Our O...Big Ben will have to be at his best. It will be all about establishing the run game to set up the pass. Pimp the hell out of the clock and keep their Os off the field for as long as possible. Our O' line will have to really step it up and keep as much heat off of Ben as possible. Should Ben become dazed and confused, or get banged up, DO NOT hesitate to make moves with B. Left. .... 4 BIG Games = 4 BIG Wins!! ... Take It To Em Steelers! :tt: ...

Ricco Suavez
11-23-2008, 06:17 PM
I agree with Preacher, this year is not like last year. Last year our defense gave up drives late in games to lose several close games. We had injuries to Aaron and then to Willie. Also Arians has changed his game plan to include more short quick passes to alleviate some pressure on our O-line. And as far as Steeler football, what we have now, is what we have. Lets face it, we our not a power running football team right now. The best we can hope for is to be as productive as possible, run as often as we pass,or close to it, keep defenses honest. I like our personnel in the backfield, but honestly we cannot run, run, then pass every series. We have to pass short, or take what the defense gives us, set up manageable 2nd and 3rd downs where we have the option of run, pass-action. I am in no way advocating that we give up on the running game, its just I do not believe we have the hogs up front to grind it out. At this moment in time we seem to be more of a finesse offense. That pains me to say that.

NYC SteelersFan
11-23-2008, 06:44 PM
I agree that the schedule is pretty tough. We NEED the win against the Ravens and the Pats IMO. We need to shoot for the 2nd playoff spot, though if the Titans lose another one and we win out, we will take the first spot by virtue of a tie breaker, either first or second place. However, if we beat the Pats, then we have the tiebreaker against them, and they still make overtake the Jets, though the Jets would have to sputter.

However, I have no idea how the "Signs are pointing to a 'limp into the playoffs' deal" like last year. Could you explain this to me? We are 7-3. We have lost only one game so far in the second half of the year (2-1), and our Defense is looking VERY strong, whereas it started falling off this time last year. Furthermore, our offensive line and offense in general are starting to come together, instead of starting to come apart like last year.

No, I think this stretch is starting to look just the OPPOSITE of last year.

We are prone to blowing games? 7-3, against three of the hottest teams in the league when we played them. No, I doubt we are truly PRONE to blowing games. How about the games we DIDN"T "blow" against the Ravens, the Chargers, and the Jags?

IMO we BLEW one game, and played bad in a couple others.

This is not good??? HUH?? 7-3, an offense that is beginning to come alive. 10 days for our injuries to heal again. Number 1 Defense in EVERY category. I think we are doing pretty dang good. . . . provided we get a new punter! :chuckle:

7-3? Preacher, are you aware we had a Thursday night game and won, making us 8-3. Or are you not counting a win against the Bengals, which I would kind of understand.

The fact is, 8 of our wins are against teams that are a combined 30-44-1. Of our 8 wins, only 2 teams have a record of .500 or better. The other 6 wins are against teams that combine to be 17-36-1. Our 3 losses are all against teams .500 or better and considering Philadelphia won't be .500 for long, our resume this year is not too good. If we had beaten one of the Giants or Colts instead of folding against both teams in similiar fashion, then I would be singing a different tune. As it stands now, If we go 4-1 to finish the season, I'll be confident in a return to the superbowl. 3-2 will get us passed the first round at the least, 2-3 or 1-4, we might as well not make the playoffs.

fansince'76
11-23-2008, 07:00 PM
The fact is, 8 of our wins are against teams that are a combined 30-44-1. Of our 8 wins, only 2 teams have a record of .500 or better. The other 6 wins are against teams that combine to be 17-36-1. Our 3 losses are all against teams .500 or better and considering Philadelphia won't be .500 for long, our resume this year is not too good.

By that rationale, you can pretty much invalidate the Titans' and Patriots' records as well, because they've been beating creampuffs all year. We also haven't gotten stomped in any of our losses by 20 points+, whereas they have.

Blonde Bomber
11-23-2008, 07:04 PM
7-3? Preacher, are you aware we had a Thursday night game and won, making us 8-3. Or are you not counting a win against the Bengals, which I would kind of understand.

The fact is, 8 of our wins are against teams that are a combined 30-44-1. Of our 8 wins, only 2 teams have a record of .500 or better. The other 6 wins are against teams that combine to be 17-36-1. Our 3 losses are all against teams .500 or better and considering Philadelphia won't be .500 for long, our resume this year is not too good. If we had beaten one of the Giants or Colts instead of folding against both teams in similiar fashion, then I would be singing a different tune. As it stands now, If we go 4-1 to finish the season, I'll be confident in a return to the superbowl. 3-2 will get us passed the first round at the least, 2-3 or 1-4, we might as well not make the playoffs.

I totally agree here. Preach is drinking some kool-aid I think. I do like his optimism though.

NYC SteelersFan
11-23-2008, 07:19 PM
By that rationale, you can pretty much invalidate the Titans' and Patriots' records as well, because they've been beating creampuffs all year. We also haven't gotten stomped in any of our losses by 20 points+, whereas they have.

The Titans have 5 wins against teams that are .500 or better vs the Steelers who have only 2. And even the Patriots have 4 wins against teams .500 or better. But I still agree with you in a sense, which is all the more reason we need to go at least 3-2 to finish up the season because in all honesty, Tennessee and the Cowboys are over-rated, thePatriots don't have their #1 quarterback and Baltimore and Cleveland in no way have a better team than us.

fansince'76
11-23-2008, 07:20 PM
The Titans have 5 wins against teams that are .500 or better vs the Steelers who have only 2. And even the Patriots have 4 wins against teams .500 or better. But I still agree with you in a sense, which is all the more reason we need to go at least 3-2 to finish up the season because in all honesty, Tennessee and the Cowboys are over-rated, thePatriots don't have their #1 quarterback and Baltimore and Cleveland in no way have a better team than us.

I didn't really check, to be honest. I agree with you - we need to go at least 3-2 down the stretch. :drink:

GridironWarrior
11-23-2008, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they lost 3 of those games. Their Oline is a complete joke and any team can get well playing those 5 up front. And NE has one of the best 3-4 lines in the league. And I shutter to think what Haynesworth will do. I can't believe some of you think the O is coming around. They couldn't run the ball against the lowly Bengals.

Edman
11-23-2008, 08:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they lost 3 of those games. Their Oline is a complete joke and any team can get well playing those 5 up front. And NE has one of the best 3-4 lines in the league. And I shutter to think what Haynesworth will do. I can't believe some of you think the O is coming around. They couldn't run the ball against the lowly Bengals.

You mean Willie Parker couldn't run the ball against the lowly Bengals. Seemed MeMo and Russell didn't have much of a problem, though.

What would get the Steelers by right now is a running back by committee system.

steelpride12
11-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Everyone the sky is not falling because injured Parker couldn't run against the Bungles.
Memo and Russell did a fine job to help seal off the game on the last two drives and the Steelers with a running game and Ben playing smart, plus being backed up by the #1 defense has a chance to AT LEAST win 2 games here.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-23-2008, 09:03 PM
If we can win half them games then we will be ok I would say out of the two the Ravens and the Tiatans is going to be our toughest opponents.

agree, but the ravens game is the most important! We can not afford to lose to them

Preacher
11-23-2008, 09:06 PM
I didn't really check, to be honest. I agree with you - we need to go at least 3-2 down the stretch. :drink:

I also would agree with that.

NYC SteelersFan
11-23-2008, 10:06 PM
You mean Willie Parker couldn't run the ball against the lowly Bengals. Seemed MeMo and Russell didn't have much of a problem, though.

What would get the Steelers by right now is a running back by committee system.

It's a combination of Willie Parker being a 3rd down back that cant catch and the O-line. The O-line is still miserable and the next 4 games will expose whether they have gotten better or if they are still absolutely worthless.

Steelers & I
11-24-2008, 12:06 AM
I'm thinking that they go 11-5 and, as bad as it will taste, hopefully they lose to the Cowboys (NFC losses hurt less) and the Titans (probably won't catch them for the #1seed anyway) in a hard fought and close game.

This is all speculation of course, but that would just about cover all bases in winning the 2nd seed, 10-2 in the conference, not bad at all, and a win with any tiebreaker scenario over the Patriots, who I believe will ultimately win the AFC East.

#2 seed, I'm hoping so man. A bye week and a home game versus, I'm guessing the Jets. AFC championship game on the road @ Tennessee, a team that we will have just played a few weeks before in a game that the Steelers clearly could have won.

Preacher
11-24-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm thinking that they go 11-5 and, as bad as it will taste, hopefully they lose to the Cowboys (NFC losses hurt less) and the Titans (probably won't catch them for the #1seed anyway) in a hard fought and close game.

This is all speculation of course, but that would just about cover all bases in winning the 2nd seed, 10-2 in the conference, not bad at all, and a win with any tiebreaker scenario over the Patriots, who I believe will ultimately win the AFC East.

#2 seed, I'm hoping so man. A bye week and a home game versus, I'm guessing the Jets. AFC championship game on the road @ Tennessee, a team that we will have just played a few weeks before in a game that the Steelers clearly could have won.

I think the Titans lose in the playoffs. They are not ready for that level of talent week in and week out.

I think the AFCCG will be played in Pittsburgh if we make it that far.

BlackAndGold4Ever
11-24-2008, 12:50 AM
I actually wasn't worried about the Pats until I saw what Cassel did against the Fins today. Now our D is a hell of alot better then theirs, but that offence can be pretty explosive if we let them. I'm not worried about Dallas as much. The Titans just got rocked by the Jets, so they ain't unstopable. In my opinion the Rat Birds are the biggest threat right now. With the win over the Eagles we have a game and a half lead, but next week we play the 7-4 Pats and they play the Bengals 1-9-1. I still have alot of faith though, and still think we have a chance for the #2 spot as long as the offence steps it up toward the home stretch

Steelers & I
11-24-2008, 05:02 AM
I think the Titans lose in the playoffs. They are not ready for that level of talent week in and week out.

I think the AFCCG will be played in Pittsburgh if we make it that far.

Yeah, after thinking about it, you're probably right. For some reason I had the Titans playing the Broncos in the Divisional round but heck, the Colts will probably be knocking the Broncos out in the Wild Card round.

After watching the Titans play, especially against the Jets, they just don't look very good. Their offense is shaky, Kerry Collins definitely exhibits happy feet when pressured, and while under duress he throws ill-advised passes. Their defensive line is great but that secondary leaves much to be desired.

AFC Championship game at Heinz Field?? I guess I'll take it. Tomlin's not Cowher so maybe the Steelers, under Tomlin, can win a home AFCCG.

jdsdaguy
11-24-2008, 06:08 AM
when these games were played, these teams were not playing well, and most of these teams still aren't playing well. the titans have the softest schedule i've seen in years. they don't and haven't played good ball all year. i really think if they do win a few more games this season and make it to the playoffs, thyey won't last long. if they do get a first round bye, they'll loose in the div game. i think your comparing apples to oranges. any fool except the idiots on tv could see their loss coming. and collinsworth was on the money when he crowned the jets yesterday.....NOOOT!!! i'm no exspert, but sometimes these idiots on tv make me feel like one.

Steelers & I
11-24-2008, 06:34 AM
when these games were played, these teams were not playing well, and most of these teams still aren't playing well. the titans have the softest schedule i've seen in years. they don't and haven't played good ball all year. i really think if they do win a few more games this season and make it to the playoffs, thyey won't last long. if they do get a first round bye, they'll loose in the div game. i think your comparing apples to oranges. any fool except the idiots on tv could see their loss coming. and collinsworth was on the money when he crowned the jets yesterday.....NOOOT!!! i'm no exspert, but sometimes these idiots on tv make me feel like one.

It seems as though the "talking heads" crown a new "best team" every couple of weeks. You're right, they don't know anymore than we do. The sad part being that they GET PAID FOR IT!

BozMan
11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Steelers are in a tough spot here. We got absolutely NO help this weekend.

Playing Baltimore @ Baltimore is always a tough game. We always play like crap there for some reason. When did we last win there? 2002?

The Dallas and Cleveland games at home should be wins. Both those teams will bring their A-games, so neither of those are gimmes.

All 3 road games will be tough but winnable games. The D will do their part. The Steelers will do as well as their O plays.

Hopefully Willie is ready to play. If he's not getting it done, I hope Tomlin and Arians do not hesitate to put Moore and/or Russell in. They seem at times to have too much loyalty to starters.

And yeah, the blown game against Indy really hurts right now.

NYC SteelersFan
11-24-2008, 11:12 AM

The comparison is definitely not 100% accurate but it's definitely not apples and oranges either. The fact still remains that we lost both games to the 2 best teams we played on our schedule so far. The Colts and Giants are both going to the playoffs and we did a great job of acting like lawn chairs the way we folded against both. The only "possible" playoff bound team we have beeaten is the Ravens and that game was way too close. The best team we've beaten is the Redskins and they are not that good. But I'm confident we go 4-1 to finish the season barring a return from Willie Parker or an increase in dispicable play calling by BA.

You think you have it bad with the media? I live in NYC, these idiots on the local news are ranting and raving about a New York Superbowl. And the FFF (Favre Fellatio Festival) is starting to kick back into high gear on ESPN and ever where else. I'm trying to figure out which team is more over-rated.

fansince'76
11-24-2008, 11:30 AM
And the FFF (Favre Fellatio Festival) is starting to kick back into high gear on ESPN and ever where else.

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

markymarc
11-25-2008, 01:56 PM
The next 4 games will tell us a lot about our team. While it is very brutal I think it only helps strengthen us for the playoff run. No question we will be tested both offensively and defensively. I truly believe we will be ready for the big tests coming up.