PDA

View Full Version : Farrior still playing at elite level

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Farrior still playing at elite level
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 24, 2008

Steelers defensive captain James Farrior didn't even bother knocking on wood for good luck.

Farrior made his 11th start of the 2008 season, and his 54th consecutive start (including the playoffs) in Thursday night's 27-10 win against the Cincinnati Bengals.

"My body feels good," Farrior said. "I feel good mentally. I'm just ready to keep playing football.''

Since 2007, Farrior, fellow linebackers James Harrison and Larry Foote, cornerback Ike Taylor and tackle Willie Colon are the only starters who haven't been sidelined because of injury or illness.

Not bad for a 33-year-old who signed a five-year contract extension in August. Farrior is three years older than Harrison, five years older than Foote, five years older than Taylor and eight years older than Colon.

Despite the obligatory bumps and bruises that result from a dozen years of toiling in the NFL, Farrior not only lines up and starts every week, he continues to excel.

This season, given the success of the Steelers' top-ranked defense, Farrior is playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Farrior is on pace to lead the Steelers in tackles for the third year in a row, and the fifth time in six years.

Asked about the longevity and endurance that belies his age, Farrior credited his intense offseason workouts with famed speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw at Walt Disney's Wide World of Sports.

"To be in good shape at this time of the year, you've got to do a lot of work in the offseason," Farrior said. "Tom Shaw, I don't know what I would do without him.

"I give him a lot of the credit to keep me this healthy this time of season. Guys are usually starting to get banged up. Injuries are starting to be a hassle. But if you train and work out good during your off-time and keep your body healthy, you get yourself ready for that stretch run at the end of the season.''

Shaw said Farrior is a special talent because he continues to work hard even as some of his peers are resting their bodies from the rigors of the previous season.

Other Steelers who trained regularly with Shaw last offseason included Taylor, fellow cornerback Bryant McFadden and receiver Santonio Holmes.

"James really is good at what he does, but (his) body has to adapt to the stress that he's going to put on it," Shaw said. "That's why we continue to work hard in the offseason. We're trying to work them but not kill them. We train hard - but smart. I want you to work as hard as you can to get your body in shape.''

The hard work paid off. Farrior entered his 12th training camp at a physical level not much different from when he joined the league as a first-round draft pick.

"We test - that's the big difference in our program,'' Shaw said. "I want to make sure that if your vertical jump was this high when you came out, it's the same thing for your 12th year.''

Said Farrior: "This is what I expected. This is what I go down there and do all that hard work for, to feel like this late in the season.''

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_599860.html

SteelersMongol
11-24-2008, 07:22 AM
That's why I want this guy's autographed item so bad.

SCSTILLER
11-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Farrior has to be one of the Steelers best FA signings in history. He got robbed of the defensive MVP award a few years back when RayRay won it. Hopefully he keeps playing up to this level throughout the rest of his new contract.

TailgateMel
11-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Link to a video about the aformentioned Tom Shaw workouts:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DsP_c_MyJWI

lilyoder6
11-24-2008, 09:03 AM
james is playing lights out football as of now.. and he is making evryone else around him better... just keep it up

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
11-24-2008, 03:24 PM
james is playing lights out football as of now.. and he is making evryone else around him better... just keep it up

He is a key reason the steelers lead the league in....

well,

every defensive statistic

Fire Haley
11-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Farrior has to be one of the Steelers best FA signings in history..

You got that right.

Him and the Bus.

Although not in the same class yet, Ryan Clark and M Moore have been nice recent additions too, so yes, it can be done.

Edman
11-24-2008, 03:44 PM
James Farrior and Aaron Smith are the most underrated defensive players in the league. I wonder if James talked more and danced like Ray Ray, he'd get a lot more attention. Eh, why not?

Oh yeah, next to the Bus in 1996, Farrior is the best Steelers FA signing in history. Fits this team like a glove.

steeltheone
11-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Bettis was a draft day trade......

Steelman16
11-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Farrior just plain rocks. We have a lot of underrated players on this team. He's an unselfish player that plays for the love of the game and nothing more.

Classic Steeler! :drink:

Bettis was a draft day trade......

Uh, he played two years in St. Louis...

Galax Steeler
11-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Keep up the good work Farrior our deffense is just awesome making plays week after week.

steelpride12
11-25-2008, 06:52 AM
The why he is our defensive captain, becuase year in and year out no matter o age he leads the team in tackles and plays hard!

GutterflowerSteel
11-25-2008, 08:13 AM
2 minute video clip of Farrior:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80cc7205

chenzzo
11-25-2008, 08:40 AM
This is pretty wild.

The company I work for prints t-shirts for Tom Shaw, and I just got an email from Tom this morning with a link to this article.

I gotta see if he can get me an autographed ball like the Tom Brady ball he got my boss a couple of years ago. :)

SteelMember
11-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Farrior has been playing exceptional.
Bettis was a draft day trade
Uh, he played two years in St. Louis...
Exactly. Similar to the Moss trade. Just done on the day of the draft.
After a disappointing third season with the Rams, Jerome Bettis moved east to become a Pittsburgh Steeler in a trade for a second and fourth round draft pick.

http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/steelers/p/bettis.htm

TeeJay
11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Farrior can walk on water, (if he wanted to) and turns QB's to Jelly........(I'm guessing that'll be jello to you! :wink02:)

Plenty more miles in the ole boy yet!

HometownGal
11-28-2008, 04:48 PM
That's why I want this guy's autographed item so bad.

One of my dearest friends got me a framed, autographed pic of James several years ago for my birthday and it sits proudly on my armoire! :thumbsup:

Imho, Potsie is one of the BEST FA signings in Steelers history. The guy is a true testament to what it takes to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. :applaudit::tt02:

TeeJay
11-28-2008, 04:56 PM
One of my dearest friends got me a framed, autographed pic of James several years ago for my birthday and it sits proudly on my armoire! :thumbsup:

I'll swap you for a Jerry Rice hand signed Sports Illustrated.....:yikes:

......I'm stuck with it aren't I! :crying01:......:thumbsup:

It seemed a good idea at the time....what can I say....I was young........(Not Steve though!)

Preacher
11-28-2008, 05:01 PM
He seems to be the link in between our Linbackers of 90's fame (with Gildon staying on in 2002, Farriors first year) and our LB's of today. Think about it, during that time we have seen the rising and falling of Porter AND Bell, and now the rising of Harrison, Woodley, and Timmons (as the nickel LB).

HometownGal
11-28-2008, 05:06 PM
I'll swap you for a Jerry Rice hand signed Sports Illustrated.....:yikes:

......I'm stuck with it aren't I! :crying01:......:thumbsup:

It seemed a good idea at the time....what can I say....I was young........(Not Steve though!)

Hey - that Jerry Rice SI may have a lot of value down the road - hang on to it! :drink:

Besides - Jerry finished 2nd in Dancing With the Stars a few seasons back so you may be holding on to a gold mine! :chuckle::wink02:

TeeJay
11-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Hey - that Jerry Rice SI may have a lot of value down the road - hang on to it! :drink:

Besides - Jerry finished 2nd in Dancing With the Stars a few seasons back so you may be holding on to a gold mine! :chuckle::wink02:

Dancing with the Stars!! :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Now it just feels tainted! :wink02:

HometownGal
11-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Dancing with the Stars!! :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Now it just feels tainted! :wink02:

LOL! Jerry was in the finals and finished 2nd behind Drew Lachey in Season 2. For a tall drink of water, he can really get down! :getdown:

VtFjwX-5ATc

TeeJay
11-28-2008, 06:14 PM
LOL! Jerry was in the finals and finished 2nd behind Drew Lachey in Season 2. For a tall drink of water, he can really get down! :getdown:

VtFjwX-5ATc

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Now I feel tainted!!.....

But Jerry is still 'the man' - especially if you grew up on Channel 4's coverage of American Football in the late 80's early 90's. Damn you San Fran!

But you'll have to excuse my ignorance.....I haven't a clue who the heck Drew Lachery is! :noidea:......and to be honest. I probably don't want to! Sounds like the noise you make after you've sniffed back a stubborn nose clingy!

Sorry James.......seem to have hijacked your thread here!

GBMelBlount
11-28-2008, 06:28 PM
"To be in good shape at this time of the year, you've got to do a lot of work in the offseason," Farrior said. "Tom Shaw, I don't know what I would do without him.

...if you train and work out good during your off-time and keep your body healthy, you get yourself ready for that stretch run at the end of the season.''

Shaw said Farrior is a special talent because he continues to work hard even as some of his peers are resting their bodies from the rigors of the previous season.

Other Steelers who trained regularly with Shaw last offseason included Taylor, fellow cornerback Bryant McFadden and receiver Santonio Holmes.

I tend to agree with this philosophy. That is why I roll my eyes when people complain about difficult training camps causing injuries and burnout, etc. If you're in good shape and take care of yourself, you should blow right through that stuff and be less prone to injury throughout the season imo.

Preacher
11-28-2008, 06:34 PM
I tend to agree with this philosophy. That is why I roll my eyes when people complain about difficult training camps causing injuries and burnout, etc. If you're in good shape and take care of yourself, you should blow right through that stuff and be less prone to injury throughout the season imo.

Yes and no. I think the problem with training camps are the physical htting before the season.

The body takes a lot longer to heal from violent hits then it does from windsprints.

Now, when you are in excellent shape, the body will heal better, all around. But it still taxes the body to make it heal.

GBMelBlount
11-28-2008, 07:05 PM
My primary point is, all other things being equal, you are better off training in the off season (barring off season injury surgery / rehab, etc.) and coming into camp strong, healthy and in good shape vs. using camp solely to get into shape. You should have less injuries/burnout through camp and the season if you stay in good physical shape year round.

WWIIOwheelz
11-28-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm originally from Virginia & still have family there, so whenever I visit, I'm always talking to the people there about Farrior & Miller, telling them how popular they are up here. After those 2, it makes you think about the UVa football program in a very favorable manner.

markymarc
11-29-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm originally from Virginia & still have family there, so whenever I visit, I'm always talking to the people there about Farrior & Miller, telling them how popular they are up here. After those 2, it makes you think about the UVa football program in a very favorable manner.

We are blessed to have Miller and Farrior. We know Farrior will retire a Steeler. I just hope we make sure Miller will retire a Steeler as well.