PDA

View Full Version : Steelers bring back Berger to punt

BozMan
11-24-2008, 11:05 AM
From P-G (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08329/930397-100.stm):

The Steelers have decided to bring back punter Mitch Berger as a replacement for Paul Ernster -- the second time this season Ernster has been waived in favor of Berger.

CanadianSteel
11-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Well I hope his injurie(s) are healed as he was just as bad in that Skins game.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-24-2008, 11:33 AM
KDKA just reporting that Ernster has been cut and Mitch Berger is back!!!

T.Richardson
11-24-2008, 01:17 PM
whooo!

SCSTILLER
11-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Well I hope his injurie(s) are healed as he was just as bad in that Skins game.

If they aren't healed, hope the Cortizone injections work!

tyler289
11-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Thank God, I'm sick of watching 20-yard punts.

lilyoder6
11-24-2008, 01:37 PM
woohooo.. our 4th punter of the season..

steelreserve
11-24-2008, 01:55 PM
So long, Ernster. I hope you break your arm.

Fire Haley
11-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Holy crap! The cripple?

There are only two punters in the whole wide world of sports?
I find this hard to believe.

NYC SteelersFan
11-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Maybe the rest are holding out for more money cause they know how desperate the Steelers are? Scott Boras clients perhaps?

ShutDown24
11-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Holy crap! The cripple?

I find this hard to believe.

I think this indicates that Berger is healthy. He was doing an alright job before the injury, I feel this move was the best option the team had.

steelpride12
11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Ernsters career is good as over and let's hope Bergers Hammies are healed up.

Dino 6 Rings
11-24-2008, 02:42 PM
I can punt, not sure about holding the snap though on FGs.

But I can punt the heck out of a nerf ball in my backyard playing with my daughters...Hire Me!

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Holy crap! The cripple?

I find this hard to believe.every year dozens of college punters hit the unemployment line.:coffee:

msafford
11-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Just think of the cheers Sepulveda will get when he walks on the field next year. :tt:

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Berger punted better on two bum hammies than Ernster did on two good ones!

Preacher
11-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Just think of the cheers Sepulveda will get when he walks on the field next year. :tt:

:laughing: I think we know someone on this board that will be cheering REAL lound! :wink02:

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
11-24-2008, 04:26 PM
lets just get rid of the whole punting game...

just play 4 down football :)

billybob
11-24-2008, 05:01 PM
They did not even try putting a "Help Wanted " sign at the entrance of the stadium yet. Or an advertisement in the paper, Punter wanted for up and coming team. Hamstrings do not heal that quickly.

T&B fan
11-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Berger punted better on two bum hammies than Ernster did on two good ones!

:rofl::rofl::laughing:

Glace
11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
man, thank you football gods!!!

I don't know that I've ever seen a PUNTER boo'd so many times during a game!!

stillers4me
11-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Hallelujah!

At least until Danny comes back.........Berger can at least punt past the 50 yard line.

GBMelBlount
11-24-2008, 08:05 PM
While I'm certainly not flipping over Berger, I'm glad he got his buns back over here.

43Hitman
11-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Hell, if it comes down to it, Ben could always throw a 50-60 yard interception. That would be better than a 20 yard shank.

tyler289
11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
While I'm certainly not flipping over Berger, I'm glad he got his buns back over here.

*crickets*

:hatsoff:

GBMelBlount
11-24-2008, 09:03 PM
*crickets*

:hatsoff:

Ya, that was a bit of a reach... :chuckle:

Fordy
11-24-2008, 09:50 PM
I cant believe how bad Ernster was.:doh: Glad to see Berger back even though he isnt gods gift to punting, I still feel more comfortable with him in there.

Steelman16
11-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Of course, the obvious solution is just to score on every drive. :chuckle:

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
11-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Of course, the obvious solution is just to score on every drive. :chuckle:

thats what im talkin about.

and whoever mentioned the idea of throwing 50yd interceptions...

I LIKE IT!

but we will make lefty do it just to pad ben's stats haha

Steelers & I
11-24-2008, 11:47 PM
I cant believe how bad Ernster was.:doh: Glad to see Berger back even though he isnt gods gift to punting, I still feel more comfortable with him in there.

I read somewhere that Ernster performed so poorly due to "stage fright". Can anyone confirm this? Anxiety, paranoia, damn! A real head case I guess.

Ernster probably stood on the sideline and believed that the players huddling on the field were talking bad about him. :toofunny:

Steelman16
11-24-2008, 11:50 PM
I read somewhere that Ernster performed so poorly due to "stage fright". Can anyone confirm this? Anxiety, paranoia, damn! A real head case I guess.

Ernster probably believed that the players were talking bad about him each time that they huddled up. :toofunny:

And you're saying you wouldn't snicker a bit too if your punter was doing worse than your 3yr old little boy? :chuckle:

I wouldn't put it past him though. Something about him...

Steelers & I
11-25-2008, 12:07 AM

Ernster probably stood on the sideline and believed that the players huddling on the field were talking bad about him. :toofunny:

I was able to find this link: I don't know how accurate it is????

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08326/929733-367.stm

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Anybody ever try to hit a golf ball too hard and end up shanking it?? How about swinging for the fences and popping up in the infield??

Pretty easy to get inside your own head, rather than trusting your ability and just punting the ball. Its why sport psychologists make some good $$ in pro sports.

sackmaster56
11-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Are these the only punters that can be found? Hamies dont heal 2 fast...

Preacher
11-25-2008, 04:07 AM
Are these the only punters that can be found? Hamies dont heal 2 fast...

A few weeks of rest, plus another week this week. . . I think he will be fine.

However, I'll guarantee you he won't do much running!

Galax Steeler
11-25-2008, 04:37 AM
Thank god Berger is back Ernster just plain sucks he couldn't punt on a pee wee team.

markymarc
11-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Good to see our FO was not smart enough to bring in at least 5-6 punters to have an open tryout. I can't wait to get Sepulveda back healthy so we won't have to talk about the punter position every week next year :laughing:

fansince'76
11-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Why do so many people think that there is some huge glut of quality NFL-caliber punting talent out there? If there was, we would have done a LOT better than Ernster after Berger got cut due to the hammy and what's more, we would have done a LOT better than Berger to begin with. Like I've said before, punters who are unemployed at this point are unemployed for a reason.

markymarc
11-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Like I've said before, punters who are unemployed at this point are unemployed for a reason.

Not necessarily. You have to figure there are 32 punters employed in the NFL right now. How many punters played last year in the NCAA? Sorry, but I have to believe there are still a few good punters out there unemployed. By the way, can you really say the FO made a good effort on trying to find someone when Ernster was brought back and now Berger. God forbid Colbert actually have to work a little and find 5-6 guys to have an open competition. There is no way you can sit there and tell me there aren't 5-6 "legit" punters out there.

fansince'76
11-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Not necessarily. You have to figure there are 32 punters employed in the NFL right now. How many punters played last year in the NCAA? Sorry, but I have to believe there are still a few good punters out there unemployed. By the way, can you really say the FO made a good effort on trying to find someone when Ernster was brought back and now Berger. God forbid Colbert actually have to work a little and find 5-6 guys to have an open competition. There is no way you can sit there and tell me there aren't 5-6 "legit" punters out there.

And how many guys played RB, QB, LT, and every other position in the NCAA last year? Doesn't make them NFL-caliber. Sorry, but there's no way you can sit there and tell me that the coaching staff didn't do their due diligence. If there was somebody better available, I think they'd have signed them.

markymarc
11-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Sorry, but there's no way you can sit there and tell me that the coaching staff didn't do their due diligence. If there was somebody better available, I think they'd have signed them.

Sorry, but I totally disagree. I truly believe the only reason Berger was brought back was because of holding for Jeff Reed on field goals and extra points. Also, whatever happened to Schmitt that was on the PS a few weeks ago? Why wasn't he brought back? The only other question I have is if they really want a punter that is good at holding on extra points and field goal attempts why don't we sign and keep a punter on the PS? This way he can continue to practice and get more comfortable with holding on field goal and extra point attempts. Plus then you have someone if Berger struggles and we don't have to bring back Ernster again. I also don't see how Berger can be 100% after only a couple weeks. Don't forget he had 2 bad hammies when he was cut.

billybob
11-25-2008, 11:48 PM
i don't know how old he is. Hamstring injuries can linger the older you are. There is someone on that team that can punt, right now! you best better believe that! I applaud coach for that call.

markymarc
11-26-2008, 05:16 PM
And I guarantee that if Berger still has 2 bad hamstrings this discussion will continue the next few weeks. That is the biggest reason why it only makes sense to me that we sign another punter to the PS. In case Berger part II doesn't work out.