PDA

View Full Version : Lions should go after Cassel.

T.Richardson
11-24-2008, 12:11 PM
They need a QB, Culpepper sucks. and Cassel is lighting defense up, playing smart football, 400+ yards twice, mobile enough, he should be a good fit for them.

Also in Detroit they have Johnson, who I believe is like Randy Moss in size, and he would be Cassels number 1 target. Cassel could be a great QB for the Lions, probably better than Batch was for them all those years ago.

lilyoder6
11-24-2008, 12:39 PM
i doubt that the lions will be able 2 get cassell away from the pats... brady is getting old, and they have found a great replacement.. and even if matt would go there, he would suck b/c the lions o-line is boo-boo

ShutDown24
11-24-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't want to give the Patriots a lot of credit... But you really can't avoid it. Probably 50% of his production comes from the fact that he is on a great team. He wouldn't be anything above an average QB in Detroit.

Scott Mitchell anyone?

fansince'76
11-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't want to give the Patriots a lot of credit... But you really can't avoid it. Probably 50% of his production comes from the fact that he is on a great team.

Going up against secondaries that are ranked in the bottom 1/3 of the league (see Jets and Dolphins) doesn't hurt either.

ShutDown24
11-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Going up against secondaries that are ranked in the bottom 1/3 of the league (see Jets and Dolphins) doesn't hurt either.

Indeed.

I can see Cassell being a very good quarterback, but it would have to be in the right system. I'm not trying to say he's a complete 'system' quarterback - but he couldn't go to a team like Detroit or San Francisco and be a saviour type of player. He would need to be playing on a squad that already has some potential for success and at least a decent coaching staff.

fansince'76
11-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Indeed.

I can see Cassell being a very good quarterback, but it would have to be in the right system. I'm not trying to say he's a complete 'system' quarterback - but he couldn't go to a team like Detroit or San Francisco and be a saviour type of player. He would need to be playing on a squad that already has some potential for success and at least a decent coaching staff.

I agree - I think he could be a very good QB as well, but not if he goes to an outright lousy team. I think he'd be a great fit in Minnesota, myself. They have pretty much all the pieces in place except QB.

SCSTILLER
11-24-2008, 01:33 PM
I agree - I think he could be a very good QB as well, but not if he goes to an outright lousy team. I think he'd be a great fit in Minnesota, myself. They have pretty much all the pieces in place except QB.

I agree, the Vikes would be a great fit for Cassell. Plus, they have a dominate running back that would take pressure off of him.

I could see the 49ers making a run at him also.

How much longer does Cassell have on his contract, anyone know?

ShutDown24
11-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I agree, the Vikes would be a great fit for Cassell. Plus, they have a dominate running back that would take pressure off of him.

I could see the 49ers making a run at him also.

How much longer does Cassell have on his contract, anyone know?

He's an UFA at the end of this season.

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2008, 01:43 PM
thte NY Bretts , will be going back to being the jets soon enough. i'm sure mangenius wouldn't mind picking cassels brain. :popcorn:

ShutDown24
11-24-2008, 01:49 PM
thte NY Bretts , will be going back to being the jets soon enough. i'm sure mangenius wouldn't mind picking cassels brain. :popcorn:

That's true, but will the Jets really have that type of money? Between drafting Gholston high, signing Faneca, Pace, Jenkins, and trading for Favre the past off-season, they've dished out a lot. Favre's deal is pretty heavy, and if he sticks around for another year (I think he will) I don't see how they could pay another quarterback top dollar. People are talking about the Pats tagging Cassel; that kind of cash means he'll be one of the absolute top-paid QBs in the league. I just don't see how the Jets could afford him.

The Duke
11-24-2008, 01:50 PM
The pats gotta avoid the mistake the browns made with anderson

Trade him in the offseason!!

If he shows he was just a one year wonder in a good system then let it be some other team's problem

Unless of course golden boy doesn't come back healthy

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2008, 01:54 PM
That's true, but will the Jets really have that type of money? Between drafting Gholston high, signing Faneca, Pace, Jenkins, and trading for Favre the past off-season, they've dished out a lot. Favre's deal is pretty heavy, and if he sticks around for another year (I think he will) I don't see how they could pay another quarterback top dollar. People are talking about the Pats tagging Cassel; that kind of cash means he'll be one of the absolute top-paid QBs in the league. I just don't see how the Jets could afford him.top dollar for a 1 year wonder? what did last years 1 year wonder Anderson get? it wasn't top dollar......

SCSTILLER
11-24-2008, 02:14 PM
That's true, but will the Jets really have that type of money? Between drafting Gholston high, signing Faneca, Pace, Jenkins, and trading for Favre the past off-season, they've dished out a lot. Favre's deal is pretty heavy, and if he sticks around for another year (I think he will) I don't see how they could pay another quarterback top dollar. People are talking about the Pats tagging Cassel; that kind of cash means he'll be one of the absolute top-paid QBs in the league. I just don't see how the Jets could afford him.

Plus, if the Jets did sign him the Patriots would have an easy time game planning against the Jets, knowing exactly what Cassell is and isn't good at.

ShutDown24
11-24-2008, 02:20 PM
top dollar for a 1 year wonder? what did last years 1 year wonder Anderson get? it wasn't top dollar......

Regardless of your opinion on what 'top dollar' is, that means they would be paying two QBs starting money. With their sizeable payroll of about 120 million, and players undoubtedly wanting contract extensions after this season, I just don't see how or why the Jets would go after Cassel. The product they would recieve in return just wouldn't be worth the money.

I think he either ends up staying put, playing in Minnesota or maybe Gruden makes a push for him to play with the Bucs.

On a side note: I believe if the Patriots sign Chris Simms as was rumored when Brady went down instead of sticking with Cassel, we're having this conversation about him instead.

xfl2001fan
11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
The pats gotta avoid the mistake the browns made with anderson

Trade him in the offseason!!

If he shows he was just a one year wonder in a good system then let it be some other team's problem

Unless of course golden boy doesn't come back healthy

Can't be traded as he's a UFA. However, I can see something similar to what Green Bay did with Corey Williams. Tag him and then trade him. This way, they still get value for him...and worst case scenario, it's only 1 year.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Cassel will get himself a nice contract after this season.

He will be a UFA, able to go to any team.

The Patriots will not be giving him a huge contract. Tom Brady will be back next season so there is no reason top sign Cassel to starters money.

Franchsing him also doesn't work out because you don't franchise tag someone who would be a backup.

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Cassel will get himself a nice contract after this season.

He will be a UFA, able to go to any team.

The Patriots will not be giving him a huge contract. Tom Brady will be back next season so there is no reason top sign Cassel to starters money.

Franchsing him also doesn't work out because you don't franchise tag someone who would be a backup.max starks ......i know it was a transition tag, but.......:coffee:

RoethlisBURGHer
11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
max starks ......i know it was a transition tag, but.......:coffee:

I get your point, but I think that the Steelers FO went about this thinking that he'd easily win the starting RT job and he either (a) sucked or (b) is in Tomlin's doghouse.

It tells me that the GM didn't even talk to Tomlin about the move, he just went ahead and transition tagged him thinking he'd get the started nod due to his salary.

fansince'76
11-29-2008, 05:23 PM
He'll be an above average QB for whatever team takes him. If his performance so far on the field isnt convincnig u, remember that he's learned under Tom Brady for a couple of years, along with Bill Belichick.

So? Brian Griese also spent a couple years learning under Elway and Shanahan (when Shanahan was still regarded as a QB "guru"). He had one really good season and he's been mediocre at best ever since. Fact remains that only a month or so ago, the majority of Pats fans were calling for Cassel to be benched and the reins of the offense to be handed over to Matt Gutierrez. It's going to take more than him torching the 26th and 28th-ranked pass defenses (Jets and Dolphins, respectively) on successive weeks to convince me.

Steelman16
11-29-2008, 07:51 PM
So? Brian Griese also spent a couple years learning under Elway and Shanahan (when Shanahan was still regarded as a QB "guru"). He had one really good season and he's been mediocre at best ever since. Fact remains that only a month or so ago, the majority of Pats fans were calling for Cassel to be benched and the reins of the offense to be handed over to Matt Gutierrez. It's going to take more than him torching the 26th and 28th-ranked pass defenses (Jets and Dolphins, respectively) on successive weeks to convince me.

I agree.

I'm not sure if Golden Boy is old enough, but maybe the Pats will do a Aaron Rodgers-type deal with Cassel.

Besides, if Brady doesn't get his knee blown out, then nobody would even be discussing where Matt Cassel might end up next year. He could still be a forgotten benchwarmer.

However, back to your statement above. If Cassel can produce those kinds of numbers against our defense, I will (albeit grudgingly) give him some respect.

stlrtruck
12-01-2008, 08:00 AM
I agree.
Besides, if Brady doesn't get his knee blown out, then nobody would even be discussing where Matt Cassel might end up next year. He could still be a forgotten benchwarmer.

And he'd probably end up in detroit still. :rofl:

TackleMeBen
12-01-2008, 11:25 AM
the only way he would come to detroit would be b/c they showed him the money.... or either he wanted to end his career early. detroit is known for killing careers.