PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Clinchers?

WVUSteelers
11-24-2008, 11:52 PM
I know I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I might ask anyway. As of now, there is a way the Steelers don't get in the playoffs. But my question is, what has to happen for either:

A: #1 Seed in the AFC
or
B: Division title?

I was thinking:
A: Titans must go at least 3-2 their last 5 games and one of those losses must be Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh must win out. Titans can also lose more than 2 games, just as long as the Steelers match their losses.

B: Ravens can not win out, due to the game against us. They can go 4-1, with the loss going against us, and Pittsburgh can not do worse than 4-1 in the remaining 5 games.

Am I right?

Edman
11-25-2008, 11:39 AM
All I know is that the Steelers don't have much room for error. They got NO help last weekend. They're on such a thin line between getting the number 2 seed and missing the playoffs entirely. That matchup in Baltimore in two weeks is huge. A Win there effectively wins the North.

Fire Haley
11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Better root for the Browns and Bengals to win this week over the Colts and Ratbirds.

Every game counts.

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
11-25-2008, 12:03 PM
they are not on a thin line of missing the playoffs.

if for some godforesaken reason we do not win the division, which is going to happen. The wildcard is on lock. If we continue to play like we have the past two weeks we will get in the playoffs as division leader.

Fire Haley
11-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Whistling past the graveyard. We had our "easy games", now the asswhack.

I don't blame people for being tighter than a librarian's sphincter, this next game could be the season.

headymessman86
11-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Unless the Bungles surprise this week. I can see the Ravens finishing 11-5. We're going to have to steal a road game in that case. Beat the Ravens and it's a mute point. Lose and the Colts loss and possible loss to the Pats kills us with the head-to head tiebreaker.

T&B fan
11-25-2008, 01:04 PM
next game NE ,,, thats all we need to be looking at right now .. in short win ,win, win win, win and we are in for sure

DACEB
11-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Better root for the Browns and Bengals to win this week over the Colts and Ratbirds.

Every game counts.

Damn, did you just say root for the Browns and Bengals!?!?

steelreserve
11-25-2008, 01:40 PM
B: Ravens can not win out, due to the game against us. They can go 4-1, with the loss going against us, and Pittsburgh can not do worse than 4-1 in the remaining 5 games.

Am I right?

Don't worry; the Ravens will be lucky to go .500 for the rest of the season. All of their victories have come over terrible teams, except for the Eagles and Dolphins, who are merely mediocre.

I can easily see them losing two out of three against Washington, Dallas and Jacksonville -- maybe they'll even lose all three. We ought to have a lot easier time against them now that our quarterback's got his act together and the line seems to be on the same page with him now.

Fire Haley
11-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Damn, did you just say root for the Browns and Bengals!?!?

It is what it is.

markymarc
11-25-2008, 02:41 PM
We beat the Rats the 2nd time around and the division is ours.

Makaveli
11-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Lot easier said than done for us as of late. When was the last time we beat the Rats in Baltimore ? And perhaps more importantly,.....when was the last time that we "swept" them in a season ?

steelpride12
11-25-2008, 08:16 PM
We beat the Rats the 2nd time around and the division is ours.

Pretty much being 5-0 in the division we would have to lose the rest of our games and the Ravens would have to win out in the rest of their season to win it, So this next game against them is Huge!

STEELAMANIA
11-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I would like it if the Steelers get 6th seed and embarrass everyone at their stadiums like in 05.....the play great as underdogs.

markymarc
11-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Lot easier said than done for us as of late. When was the last time we beat the Rats in Baltimore ? And perhaps more importantly,.....when was the last time that we "swept" them in a season ?

Let's not forget Flacco is still a rookie QB and only reading half the football field at this point. Defensively all we have to do is shut down their running game which will happen and stop Mason from catching the ball. While the Rats defense is good, it's not great. Ben and Arians seem to betting better the past 2 weeks. That trend continues on Sunday against the Cheaters, next Sunday against the Cowgirls and of course the following Sunday against the Rats.

rich4eagle
11-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Better hope the Ravens lose regular and often cause the home stretch looks like 2-3 losses

Makaveli
11-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Let's not forget Flacco is still a rookie QB and only reading half the football field at this point. Defensively all we have to do is shut down their running game which will happen and stop Mason from catching the ball. While the Rats defense is good, it's not great. .

I feel what your saying here, and in theory it's very sound to say the least. But it always seems to come down "intangibles" (if you will) and or whomever wins the battle of turnovers whenever we play these guys IMO. And i expect the usual dog fight.

markymarc
11-26-2008, 06:03 PM
I feel what your saying here, and in theory it's very sound to say the least. But it always seems to come down "intangibles" (if you will) and or whomever wins the battle of turnovers whenever we play these guys IMO. And i expect the usual dog fight.

Oh I completely agree with the turnover comment. That will be huge for the 2nd game against the Rats. I do realize it's always a dog fight with the Rats game. One other note is I think LeBeau knows what went wrong with our first match up this year and I am complete confidence in him scheming something up for Flacco on the 2nd time around. I just want to crush the Rats because behind the Cheaters the Rats are my 2nd hated NFL team.

steelwall
11-26-2008, 07:03 PM
I would like it if the Steelers get 6th seed and embarrass everyone at their stadiums like in 05.....the play great as underdogs.

Exactly, even if we don't win out. We have done it before from the wildcard stand point. I think it added a spark to our team in 05. After all we are the only team to pull that off, and we can do it again if need be.

markymarc
11-27-2008, 12:39 AM
I am definitely rooting for the Stains and Bungles this weekend. Hopefully they can knock off the Rats and Colts. Would really help us especially after we beat the Cheaters!

lilyoder6
11-27-2008, 10:39 AM
i honestly would not want a colts team coming in ur stadium in the playoffs.. there off is getting in there groove and can be very scary 5 or 6th seed

markymarc
11-27-2008, 04:03 PM
I would not be afraid of the Colts and actually would love a rematch at Heinz Field. Ben's 2 bad interceptions is the only thing that kept them in the game last time.

geo123
11-27-2008, 09:01 PM
I hate to be a pessimist, but...
5 of our 8 wins are against teams with losing records(Cin.2)
Of the top 3 AFC teams we have the hardest remaining schedule.
I didn't see the last game(Cin.), but up till then the offense has been poor. The offense has to do better, they need to be more consistant. Ben has not played well. I know he has openly take the resposibility & blame for his bad outings, but now it's time to stop apologizing and making excuses and start playing. They are not going to beat the Pats,Cowboys, or Titans playing the way they've been playing.

markymarc
11-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Yes the offense has struggled, but the past 2 games they have shown life, not much but they are improving. The biggest thing Ben is playing better and Arians is actually calling better games. By the way with this defense we can win any game no matter what the offense is doing. How many times do they have to prove that they can keep us in games. I tell you what, if the offense continues to improve this will be a very scary team come playoff time.

geo123
11-29-2008, 06:35 AM
The D is good but they can only do so much. In this league if your offense can't score a min. of 17 pts.its not likely you'll win too many games; and you really don't deserve to.
Not to mention that not scoring is bad enough, but turnovers on your own end of the field really hurt.The D would definitely have better stats if they weren't defending a short field so often.
Finally what's so frustrating offensively is that we have the talent we're just not making the plays.

markymarc
11-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Well considering how inconsistent the offense has played our defense remains #1 across the board in all categories and they are doing that with short fields and spending quite a bit of time on the field. Also the most points we have given up in a game so far this year is 24. Not too shabby. Yes it would be great to have a very good offense to go along with this lights out defense. Baby steps at this time and I still believe they will get into gear come playoff time.