PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Smith at it again - predicts win

Fire Haley
11-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Some guys never learn.

Smith offers another guarantee

New year. Same big yapper.

Pittsburgh safety Anthony Smith, who guaranteed a win over the Patriots before last season’s contest against New England only to be pan-fried during and after the game, has told reporters that with this year’s Patriots-Steelers game looming Sunday, he’ll say the same thing again this season.

While he stopped short of offering the same flat guarantee he made last year, he still didn’t back down when asked about last season’s ill-fated boast that put him right in New England’s crosshairs.

“If they ask me again, I’ll say the same thing,” Smith told Pittsburgh-area reporters.

“We’re the No. 1 defense,” Smith told the Indiana (Pa.) Gazette recently when asked about his take on this weekend’s Patriots-Steelers game. “If we play like we’ve been playing, and our offense comes around and has a good game, and we’re clicking on all cylinders, we’re going to win the game."

http://www.metrobostonnews.com/us/article/2008/11/25/00/5856-66/index.xml

------------------------------------------------

Back in the doghouse.

Dino 6 Rings
11-25-2008, 08:35 AM
"we've played against better safeties all year"

SteelMember
11-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Is the metro boston news trying to create bulleitn-board material for their own team?

No mention of billipricks new o-line tactics class...Helmet removal and hair pulling.

fansince'76
11-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Now for the full quote in context from the Indiana (PA) Gazette (http://www.indianagazette.com/articles/2008/11/21/sports/10006346.txt):

....one year later, as the Steelers are again about to prepare for a battle with the New England Patriots, the buzz around Smith is about to grow again.

Will the same reporters ask Smith to guarantee a win over the Patriots? He's ready if they ask.

``If they ask me again, I'll say the same thing,'' he said Thursday night after the Steelers beat the Cincinnati Bengals 27-10 at Heinz Field.

Some "guarantee." Sounds more like a Boston-area sports blogger fishing for bulletin board material to me. He won't be starting anyway. :coffee:

rbryan
11-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Why does anyone even care what a ST player has to say? Smith hasn't started since last year.

Obviously some asshat reporter went out of his way to coax this out him. Gee, I sure hope this doesn't make the big bad patsies mad.

RunWillieRun
11-25-2008, 08:51 AM
The whole city of Boston is one giant joke. Some retard sports reporter goes fishing for bulletin board material for his team and doesn't even use the full quote.

I would like nothing more than to see Smith deliever a knock-out blow to a Patriots kick/punt returner on Sunday.

rbryan
11-25-2008, 08:58 AM
I'd give him a few snaps in nickel situations. I wouldn't make him the last line of defense on the deep ball, but I still have visions of him blowing up either Moss or Welker underneath. A safety blitz maybe......blindside shot on Cassel would be nice.

slippy
11-25-2008, 09:27 AM
maybe he could tackle the fair catch guy again.

memphissteelergirl
11-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Now for the full quote in context from the Indiana (PA) Gazette (http://www.indianagazette.com/articles/2008/11/21/sports/10006346.txt):

Some "guarantee." Sounds more like a Boston-area sports blogger fishing for bulletin board material to me. He won't be starting anyway. :coffee:

Yeah, but at the same time Smith should know better by now than to get sucked into that word game mess. I guess in some cases getting older doesn't neccessarily make you wiser. :doh:

fansince'76
11-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah, but at the same time Smith should know better by now than to get sucked into that word game mess. I guess in some cases getting older doesn't neccessarily make you wiser. :doh:

I'll lend it more credence when an actual guarantee has been made and it's reported by someone other than a fourth-rate hack who writes for a third-rate fishwrap.

fansince'76
11-25-2008, 09:36 AM
maybe he could tackle the fair catch guy again.

Well, I would hope he would when the guy making the fair catch decides to try and run with it anyway.

KeiselPower99
11-25-2008, 09:40 AM
I hate Boston media Boston people and Boston sports teams. This is another example.

DACEB
11-25-2008, 10:02 AM
It's all over sports radio here in Mass.. Too bad they're not going against the two backup safeties this year.

XxKnightxX
11-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Regardless of the situation, he's not a starter therefor he should just shut up and play. I can only tolerate smack talk from players who back it up, he's obviously not on of them after getting bombarded all day last year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-25-2008, 10:41 AM
So a Boston area reporter is quoting the reporter from the Indiana Gazette to make his story??

Is this the same columnist from the Indiana Gazette that said last week....."Steeler Assistant Coaches Stink" ?? :rolleyes: Oh Yeah!!!.......well, my dad can beat up your dad :kick:

revefsreleets
11-25-2008, 10:42 AM
I guarantee if Smith doesn't play, we will win.

Edman
11-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Here's the thing though, unless Polo and Clark step in a pothole and twist up their knees, Smith is not playing this time. So we'll see who Cassel decides to pick on.

Stupid ass Boston media looking for bulletin board material that isn't even there.

lilyoder6
11-25-2008, 10:56 AM
i'm with 76 here.. he is not talking shit here.. he asked if he would of changed his mind last yr if he could and he said no....

and him saying if we play his and if we do that we can win is not a gurantee... he's right, if we do what we are supposed 2 do we can win this game

Tankus_Maximus
11-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Pinche Massholes lookin for bulletin board material

Chinga los Massholes!!!!

SteelersMongol
11-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Actually if U guys listen carefully, he didn't say a lie. WE are the #1 DEF in the league, & if we play is as we're suppose 2, those New England Cheating a-holes ain't got nothing on us.

steelpride12
11-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Wow, never trust Boston reporters they fix everything to get the word out. Smith really didn't guarentee as much as state facts about the defensive play.

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
11-25-2008, 12:06 PM

yeah i agree with that :doh:

7/39/43
11-25-2008, 12:08 PM
put a BULLET in him please!

randy06
11-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Why Smith why?

DACEB
11-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Why Smith why?

And that's why this kid does'nt see the field!! C'mon kid, your better than that!! Smart 'n up!!

markymarc
11-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Sorry but I blame the media for all of this B.S. By the way Smith doesn't even play on the defense this year so I am not worried what he says. Although I would love to see him get on the field just to hit Moss and Welker a few times.

The_WARDen
11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Can they please cut him after this week? Just what they need...a bench player writing checks that he can't cash!

SuzyPeppercorn
11-25-2008, 03:56 PM
what the hell is he supposed to say?

umm... ya if i could do it all over again i would have taken back what i said. didn't i look dumb when i said we would win and we didn't.

the media asks questions where you can give only one answer or else you look like a wimp. i don't blame him for anything. hopefully he has a nice hit on somebody.

Crushzilla
11-25-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't care if it is taken out of context.

Can Anthony Smith please just go away yet...

I'm so sick of this guy. :shake02:

The_WARDen
11-25-2008, 04:12 PM
what the hell is he supposed to say?

umm... ya if i could do it all over again i would have taken back what i said. didn't i look dumb when i said we would win and we didn't.

the media asks questions where you can give only one answer or else you look like a wimp. i don't blame him for anything. hopefully he has a nice hit on somebody.

no comment...especially after what transpired last year. Just shut up!

Dino 6 Rings
11-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Makaveli
11-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Personally,..no comment Smith could possibly make would bother me at all. Because whether he or anyone else plays the "P.C good sportsman" role, or talks "slick" from here until kickoff,...it won't change the fact whomever we play is coming on the field to win. (Just as we should)

IMO if you need bulletin board material to get up for any game,....your in the wrong business.

STEELAMANIA
11-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Anthony Smith isn't seeing much of the field, so its not like he is the starter.....I doubt the Pats will use this as bulletin board material because Smith is on the sidelines most of the game.........

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I knew there was a reason why this kid's head resembled a butt plug.

stillers4me
11-25-2008, 09:28 PM

I'm sure Beliprick wishes Smith was playing this week instead of Troy and Clark. :chuckle:

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with what the little punk said, anyway. Just the media creating another story and blowing it out of proportion, again.

Dino 6 Rings
11-25-2008, 10:16 PM
"The safety play at that position was pretty inviting," said Belichick.

Steelers & I
11-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Well that's it, the Steelers are going to lose again. ::yep::twocents:

lilyoder6
11-26-2008, 10:14 AM
u all need 2 chill the f out.. who cares what he said.. it's not like words are going to affect the game...

markymarc
11-26-2008, 05:35 PM
"The safety play at that position was pretty inviting," said Belichick.

And I guarantee the safety play won't be inviting this time around. Having Clark and Troy for this game really helps us defensively. Getting McFadden back will be another boost for our secondary. Can't wait to hear Belicheat's words after their loss on Sunday.

Hines0wnz
11-27-2008, 11:54 PM
This is a go nowhere story. The Pats need anything to feel their oats this season.

Preacher
11-28-2008, 03:28 AM
How worried are they when they have to drum something like this up in order to supposedly "help out" their team.

It is amazing what you'll resort to when you don't have video tapes,

St33lersguy
11-28-2008, 11:04 AM
It would be wise for him to stay away from the media but still it's just a jackass reporter from Boston trying to give material to their cheating football team to get them mad about.

HometownGal
11-28-2008, 11:09 AM
How worried are they when they have to drum something like this up in order to supposedly "help out" their team.

It is amazing what you'll resort to when you don't have video tapes,

:applaudit::thumbsup::applaudit:

Smith isn't in the equation for Sunday's game so really - who gives a rat's patoot?

43Hitman
11-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Hey, getting rid of him would be dumb. He's a backup safety with starter skills, he's not some chump who just runs his mouth and cant play football. All in all, he's done quite well over the years in limited playing time, except for the that New England game last year :coffee:

That and hurting players in non-contact drills during training camp. The guy is a numbskull and will probably be replaced in a year or two.

markymarc
11-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I think it's classic that the Boston media talking heads are trying to set up Anthony Smith again. Really sad if that's what they need to pump them up for the game on Sunday. Also, the only way Anthony Smith gets beat on Sunday is if he misses a tackle on special teams.

TeeJay
11-29-2008, 12:19 AM
:helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet:
BlitzBurgh's coming to town.

That's all their Media need to know....