PDA

View Full Version : Warren Moon-"Patriots should trade Tom Brady"

Steelcitygal87
11-25-2008, 03:00 PM
They are discussing this statement, made by Warren Moon, on ESPN. He suggested the Patriots should seriously consider trading Tom Brady and keeping Casel. His main reasoning behind this statement is:... The Pats wouldn't have to pay Casel the big bucks they are paying Brady, so it would free up some cap room which would allow them to go out and start rebuilding their aging defense. Brady is only 31 years old...I can't believe that Warren would even suggest this. I can't see the Patriots even entertaining the thought.

ShutDown24
11-25-2008, 03:03 PM
For the Patriot franchise, I really believe that would probably be the best move. Send Brady to San Francisco.

But come on, that's not going to happen and anyone who even suggests it (Such as Moon) will be called crazy.

The_WARDen
11-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Why would they be stupid enough to trade away their franchise for this decade's Rob Johnson?

:doh:

fansince'76
11-25-2008, 03:18 PM
And that, folks, is why Moon doesn't have a cushy FO gig in the NFL right now. Some horrible team (see Lions) is going to break the bank for Cassel this offseason and he'll come crashing right back down to earth.

The Patriot
11-25-2008, 03:28 PM
For the Patriot franchise, I really believe that would probably be the best move. Send Brady to San Francisco.

But come on, that's not going to happen and anyone who even suggests it (Such as Moon) will be called crazy.

What are you talking about? When you have talent you hold on to it. Buying a new defense does not guarantee it will be a good defense.

ShutDown24
11-25-2008, 03:51 PM
What are you talking about? When you have talent you hold on to it. Buying a new defense does not guarantee it will be a good defense.

Buying a new offense worked, didn't it? :flap:

All I'm saying is that if Cassel finishes the year stong and shows he can run that system this well, why pay more for the same production? There isn't even a guarantee Brady will be the same guy when he returns from his injury. He hasn't played Brady-like football since last seasons playoffs (nearly a year ago).

Crushzilla
11-25-2008, 03:58 PM

I think the suggestion was that they stock pile draft picks or young talent already in the league.

Signing a first round pick has become as expensive as signing a Pro Bowler, so anyone that plans to rebuild anything is going to need plenty of cap space.

The chance of Brady going anywhere is absolute 0%. I heard somebody at work the other day say that Brady is getting close to retirement and they need to start looking for new options.

Maybe that's what non-Patriot fans WANT to think, but you have to be out of your mind. He's 31? I'd be SHOCKED if he doesn't play for at least 7 more years. Maybe if he was a RB.

Plus, Brady rarely goes down. Yes, he's hurt this year, but other than a linger shoulder ailment (:coffee:) he's been healthy.

Maybe Warren should take at the city he used to play in because Matt Schaub has been worth every cent...

Why would you take the reins to a Super Bowl caliber team from Tom Brady and give them to a guy that has barely played a whole year.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Trading Brady would cause riots in Beantown.

I think the Patriots should do it!

Dino 6 Rings
11-25-2008, 04:33 PM
That would work out as well as dropping Favre worked out for the Packers.

Steelcitygal87
11-25-2008, 04:39 PM
I think the suggestion was that they stock pile draft picks or young talent already in the league.

Why would you take the reins to a Super Bowl caliber team from Tom Brady and give them to a guy that has barely played a whole year.

Exactly. I think everyone( mostly the media) is getting way too hyped up on Cassel. Yes, he is playing well, but as you stated...it isn't even the end of the season yet. Tom will be back and play probably as good, if not better, than he ever has.

cubanstogie
11-25-2008, 04:43 PM
No effing way.

Dino 6 Rings
11-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Some of the "chatter" about Trading Brady is probably nothing more than the Pats front office trying to trump up chatter about how "good" Cassell is and boost his trade potential. Unless of coarse he's simply a free agent, they they are s-crewed.

xfl2001fan
11-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Some of the "chatter" about Trading Brady is probably nothing more than the Pats front office trying to trump up chatter about how "good" Cassell is and boost his trade potential. Unless of coarse he's simply a free agent, they they are s-crewed.

Actually, not necessarily. They could franchise him for one year...and try to trade him. The team willing to trade draft picks for him will likely be the team that can afford his asking salary anyways.

Similar to what Green Bay did with Corey Williams.

The Patriot
11-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Actually, not necessarily. They could franchise him for one year...and try to trade him. The team willing to trade draft picks for him will likely be the team that can afford his asking salary anyways.

Similar to what Green Bay did with Corey Williams.

ShutDown24
11-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Really, I think all of this is pretty irrelevent.

Cassel will probably just get a decent deal elsewhere (Like discussed in the Lions topic) and suck it up.

Brady's success will hinge on his healthy return from the knee injury and, most likely, he will continue to lead the Pats to winning seasons for god knows how long.

steelwall
11-26-2008, 02:08 AM
Brady stays, and the bottom teams try their best to get their mits on Cassell.

stillers4me
11-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Trade Brady? Once Leftwich leaves, we could use a good quality backup. :flap:

xfl2001fan
11-26-2008, 07:17 AM

What's that about? This is the only way they can guarantee they'll get compensation for him leaving (which he likely will leave). I doubt the NFL will view him as a big enough loss for the compensation picks they might receive for losing a backup QB (which he will be viewed as by the NFL.)

lilyoder6
11-26-2008, 10:11 AM
u don't know what will happen... if u look at the hirstory of the brick of a coach.. this coupld possibly happen... i mean drew was the qb b4 he got hurt and they put brady in... they stayed with brady and they let drew go.. i wouldn't put anything past this team

The Patriot
11-26-2008, 10:20 AM
What's that about? This is the only way they can guarantee they'll get compensation for him leaving (which he likely will leave). I doubt the NFL will view him as a big enough loss for the compensation picks they might receive for losing a backup QB (which he will be viewed as by the NFL.)

Oh, I thought you were talking about Brady.

HometownGal
11-26-2008, 10:33 AM
That would work out as well as dropping Favre worked out for the Packers.

AMEN brotha! :applaudit::thumbsup:

I love the Mooner, but I think he needs to put down the crack pipe. :screwy: No way Kraft and Beliprick* trade their "money in the bank" under any circumstances. I can't stand Ass Chin's arrogance, but I can't deny that he is a great QB.

I would be more in favor of the NFL relocating the franchise to Bumfuk, Egypt. :applaudit::chuckle:

missedgehead
11-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Warren Moon should go **** himself and go to you know where. That is my opinion of what he said.

xfl2001fan
11-26-2008, 02:18 PM
AMEN brotha! :applaudit::thumbsup:

I love the Mooner, but I think he needs to put down the crack pipe. :screwy: No way Kraft and Beliprick* trade their "money in the bank" under any circumstances. I can't stand Ass Chin's arrogance, but I can't deny that he is a great QB.

I would be more in favor of the NFL relocating the franchise to Bumfuk, Egypt. :applaudit::chuckle:

The thing is, Greg Easterbrook (TMQ) pointed out that Cassell playing as well as he has speaks far more about the system in place than the QB skills. It also speaks volumes about the QB coach (can't remember his name.)

Cassell playing well actually does as much to lower Brady's value as raise his own...but only inside of NE. Outside of NE, it's something different.

It almost is like saying NE is to QBs what Denver has been to HBs.

OneForTheToe
11-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Yikes Warren!!!!

As HTG said, no mater what we think of Brady personally, the Pats trading him would be the dumbest move in the history of the NFL. There is a big difference between putting up big numbers in the regular season and leading your team to a Super Bowl. Long before he was putting up big numbers, Brady was a pretty cool customer in the pocket and had lead his team to Super Bowl victories. Yes, the cheating scandal does tarnish the accomplishment, but it doesn't add up to Cassell = or > Brady. Besides, Cassell in one pregnant and one girlfriend supermodel behind.

I actually wish Brady was healthy was playing this week because I think our D now is more equipped to play him than it has been in years. Specifically, we now have the skill level to pressure the QB without blitzing. Thus, our coverage is better than it has been in years.

The_WARDen
12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Please please please trade Brady & keep Cassell! Yesterday's thrashing was so much fun!

:drink:

LambertIsGod58
12-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Why would they be stupid enough to trade away their franchise for this decade's Rob Johnson?

OMG...we do agree on something. I don't think Cassel has proven himself over a long enough period of time to warrant trading a first ballot HOF'er who has several good year left in him. Providing he recovers from the knee injury.

The Duke
12-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Warren Moon should go **** himself and go to you know where. That is my opinion of what he said.

I wonder how our resident bandwagoner feels about the loss :coffee:

revefsreleets
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
IMO Brady would have performed not one iota better than Cassel did yesterday. Brady buckles under pressure, and we were definitely bringing the heat...

steelreserve
12-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I hope they trade him to SF or the Raiders. Let their team fall apart, and meanwhile, Brady will go 4-12 every season for the rest of his career, and probably tear BOTH ACL's behind the shitty line on one of those teams. Everybody I hate loses, which goes down as a victory in my book.

Unfortunately, after the old-fashioned ass whooping we put on them yesterday, any chance of them actually making that trade probably vanished.

T.Richardson
12-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Warren is on crack. Trade your Franchise QB for some unproven System QB? Ha!

Rinkleroot
12-06-2008, 05:20 PM
The pats have beaten 3 teams with winning records this season, the Jets, Dolphins, & Broncos and 2 of those teams the Jets & Dolphins have beaten the pats, I doubt they could beat the Broncos in a re-match. Brady's staying put.