PDA

View Full Version : No suspension for Matt Light.

The Duke
11-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Suspensions for fight won’t come this week

New England and Miami have been waiting to hear whether Patriots left tackle Matt Light and Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder will be suspended for fighting during Sunday’s fourth quarter.

They’ll be waiting for a while, which is good news for both teams.

An NFL official confirmed the league would not issue any rulings Tuesday, an ideal day to announce suspensions. If suspensions don’t come Tuesday, they usually wait until the next week — if they come at all.

So no news in this case is good news. Fines still could be handed down this week, but it is unlikely suspensions will.

But that’s a decision for NFL director of football operations Gene Washington, who has been reviewing the incident that resulted in the ejection of both players.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/25/suspensions-for-fight-wont-come-this-week/

Edman
11-25-2008, 08:23 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/25/suspensions-for-fight-wont-come-this-week/

No sign of a fine, either.

Disgusting.

The Patriot
11-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Football just loses so much of its essence when it becomes like a pansy game.

beSteelmyheart
11-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Especially for those who don't get fined.

Hapa
11-25-2008, 08:48 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS? THATS RIDICULOUS! HE HIT HIM REPEATEDLY ON THE BACK OF THE HEAD! WTF

PisnNapalm
11-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Of course he isn't suspended. We play them.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2008, 09:16 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS? THATS RIDICULOUS! HE HIT HIM REPEATEDLY ON THE BACK OF THE HEAD! WTF

That warrants suspension right there. No reason to do it repeatedly.

MACH1
11-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Of course not. Goodeal has a hard on for the cheats*.

HereWeGoSteelers219
11-25-2008, 10:04 PM
What an absolute joke. Roger Goodell will protect his beloved Patriots any way he can.

I guess the NFL now condones fights on the field.

fansince'76
11-25-2008, 10:06 PM
The statement in my sig line illustrates where I stand. :coffee:

XxKnightxX
11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Is amazing how I tried to Google Roger Goodell and bad bing!, first thing that comes up is people inquiring his contact information. Hopefully the e mail address that they provided is a legitimate one, but I will also try to give in a hand written letter to him explaining how by him not taking any action on this incident will be amazingly stupid and showing how he can be biased about situations, that profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering scumbag goodell man

devilsdancefloor
11-25-2008, 10:28 PM
What an absolute joke. Roger Goodell will protect his beloved Patriots any way he can.

I guess the NFL now condones fights on the field.

Maybe marty mcsorley is free. we could sign him for 1 game and have him pull lights helmet off and well do what marty is good at..... just a thought:wink02:

anyway this is BS but i have come to expect it from the commish

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Really should this surprise anyone? Anything connected to the Cheatriots smells like :poop:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Did you honestly expect anything less from a team that WAS CAUGHT CHEATING and only got a slap on the wrist? C'mon...

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Football just loses so much of its essence when you aren't allowed to film another teams playbook

spoken like a true Patriot :thumbsup: (sorry, had to bust your balls...I am still bitter and always will be)

The Patriot
11-26-2008, 10:18 AM
spoken like a true Patriot :thumbsup: (sorry, had to bust your balls...I am still bitter and always will be)

Ha! Well, I do say that.

The_WARDen
11-26-2008, 12:12 PM
he was fined $15,000.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=An8r.yikdqUk_MF1gdkX55U5nYcB?slug=ap-light-crowderfined&prov=ap&type=lgns

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-26-2008, 12:51 PM
he was fined $15,000.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=An8r.yikdqUk_MF1gdkX55U5nYcB?slug=ap-light-crowderfined&prov=ap&type=lgns

Which is what some have been fined for tackles or blocks that the commish has decided were "too rough" ...not sure why the fine should be the same for an obvious case of Roid Rage.:noidea:

X-Terminator
11-26-2008, 12:56 PM
he was fined $15,000.

So let me get this straight...if you pull someone's hair and punch the back of his head, it's worth $15,000. But if you hit someone a little too hard or complain about the incompetent refs, it's worth $20,000 or more? Something is seriously wrong with this picture.

Oh yeah, Light should have also received a suspension, but we all know Mr. Good Deal would never, ever suspend anyone on his favorite team.

filthyfan
11-26-2008, 01:35 PM
......Light NOT suspended...fined 15k by commish....Harrison/Woodley will get after Cassel regardless.....they are well rested Manimals right now....
Big test on our secondary this weekend....Cassel will try to get ball out quickly....need to squash the slant and the screens.....

The_WARDen
11-26-2008, 01:40 PM
So let me get this straight...if you pull someone's hair and punch the back of his head, it's worth $15,000. But if you hit someone a little too hard or complain about the incompetent refs, it's worth $20,000 or more? Something is seriously wrong with this picture.

Oh yeah, Light should have also received a suspension, but we all know Mr. Good Deal would never, ever suspend anyone on his favorite team.

you fail to see the logic?

:eyecrazy:

fdp
11-26-2008, 01:42 PM
FOXBOROUGH -- The NFL has confirmed, through Patriots spokesman Stacey James, that LT Matt Light has not been suspended for his role in an on-field fight with Dolphins LB Channing Crowder on Sunday.

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network is reporting that the league will fine Light $15,000. Crowder will also be fined $15,000, according to Schefter.

Light answered questions from media members this morning, as it was the first time he spoke with reporters since his on-field fight on Sunday.

The highlight came when he was asked if he was worried about other opponents trying to get under his skin.

"I've been here eight years boss, and this isn't my first rodeo," he said. "I think we're all good."

Light ended his interview on that note, telling the assembled reporters that it was a "good talk" and that "you guys rock."

The rest of the Q&A:

You must feel the weight of the world is off your shoulders a bit...
"Just really, right now, it's a matter of getting ready for these guys [the Steelers]. This is about as big a game as you can get, although we've been saying that for the last two or three weeks."

Were you worried at all, after Sunday, that you might get suspended?
"You know what, honestly, I think that matter is kind of a closed deal now. It was what it was. Obviously, I'm not happy with what my actions were and I don't think that was the way to go. In my mind, it's a closed deal now. They've made a decision on it and we're going to move forward and get ready to play a good Steelers team. I think that's where everybody's concentration should be right now, and that's definitely where mine is at this point."

In that regard, how do you prepare for a team that you know is going to bring pressure every which way?
"Yeah, they're about as good as doing it as anybody. Over the years, it's always been a certain style down in Pittsburgh. They've always been a very physical team. I think back to my rookie year [in 2001], going back and playing those guys, it was always about playing a physical team that can move around a lot and they'd hit you at every angle. I think for us up front, it's just a matter of recognizing what they do, trying to get a hat on a hat, and it really comes down to the physical side of it -- who can outlast the other guy. I think this is going to be a really big challenge for us offensively."

Bill said he keeps notes, and he went all the way back to his days in Cleveland to read some on Pittsburgh. Do you, as an offensive lineman, keep mental notes on how best to prepare for them?
"I think you have to look at the way in which they play. Their style, their 3-4, is a little different than other people's 3-4. Not that any two teams are alike, but they're very unique in how they play defenses. I think with the personnel they have -- with the guys they have coming in and out of there -- those guys provide a lot for them and create a lot of issues for us. Like I said, it's recognize what they do to you up front and how they do it, the style in which they play, and really it's a one-on-one battle with each one of those guys. They're all pretty good at what they do."

Said QB Matt Cassel this morning: "It will be great to have Light out there, and I'm happy they came up with that ruling. As a quarterback, you love your left tackle, especially Matt Light. He's such a great player."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/11/no_suspension_f_1.html

msafford
11-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Which is what some have been fined for tackles or blocks that the commish has decided were "too rough" ...not sure why the fine should be the same for an obvious case of Roid Rage.:noidea:

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.:mad:

CanadianSteel
11-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Its becoming clear that Godell doesn't like the Steelers organization/players.
If it were say Harrison who did that you think he would be playing this week?
PacMan Jones will be back for guess when... Steeler game.
He watched the Steeler/Redskins game from Snyders box and just loves tdouchbag owners like Snyder, Jones, and Kraft....

The_WARDen
11-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Its becoming clear that Godell doesn't like the Steelers organization/players.
If it were say Harrison who did that you think he would be playing this week?
PacMan Jones will be back for guess when... Steeler game.
He watched the Steeler/Redskins game from Snyders box and just loves tdouchbag owners like Snyder, Jones, and Kraft....

actually, I think Pacman being back for our game gives an advantage to the Steelers. He sucks.

Steelman16
11-26-2008, 02:27 PM
actually, I think Pacman being back for our game gives an advantage to the Steelers. He sucks.

Hines will beat him like a rent mule. :applaudit:

Goodell sucks. :coffee:

sixstringlass
11-26-2008, 02:30 PM
So... Light punches an opponent in the head three times, and gets fined LESS than Harrison - who let up on that QB - and Ward - who was never told WTH he did to deserve it?

Fire Goodell. He's worthless.

Steelman16
11-26-2008, 02:36 PM
So... Light punches an opponent in the head three times, and gets fined LESS than Harrison - who let up on that QB - and Ward - who was never told WTH he did to deserve it?

Fire Goodell. He's worthless.

He's a freakin' joke. :coffee:

Harrison will get held more times than is possible, but he'll never get any compensation for it. :mad:

I seriously hope Light allows 3 sacks to Harrison and the entire collective Patriots O-line gets schooled for 61 minutes.

tyler289
11-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Goodell continues to prove he is a huge toolbag

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Ward fined one years salary
11/26/2008
Lambert Brokaw

The NFL has decided that Hines Ward will give the remainder of his salary to Tom Brady this year.

When asked to explain the decision, the commisioner stated, "I was having dinner with Tommy....uh...Tom... the other night while the Steeler/Bengals game was on TV. I noticed that on several occasions Hines was smiling and soon came to believe that he was mocking Toms medical condition. I immediately turned off the television but on further contemplation decided that a severe punishment should be forthcoming for such an obvious unsportsmanlike attitude.......besides.....I really, really think Tom is neato."

The commisioner declined to comment further on the incident, stating that he considered the situation closed.The remainder of the press conference was spent on Goodall and Brady showing off their marching charm bracelets.

www.thecommishisinKraftspocket.com

Steelman16
11-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Ward fined one years salary
11/26/2008
Lambert Brokaw

The NFL has decided that Hines Ward will give the remainder of his salary to Tom Brady this year.

When asked to explain the decision, the commisioner stated, "I was having dinner with Tommy....uh...Tom... the other night while the Steeler/Bengals game was on TV. I noticed that on several occasions Hines was smiling and soon came to believe that he was mocking Toms medical condition. I immediately turned off the television but on further contemplation decided that a severe punishment should be forthcoming for such an obvious unsportsmanlike attitude.......besides.....I really, really think Tom is neato."

The commisioner declined to comment further on the incident, stating that he considered the situation closed.The remainder of the press conference was spent on Goodall and Brady showing off their marching charm bracelets.

www.thecommishisinKraftspocket.com

"Sorry, 'www.thecommishisinkraftspocket.com' does not exist or is not available."

:toofunny: :rofl: :laughing: :chuckle:

Good one bro!

missedgehead
11-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Good Lord, Light and Crowder or whatever the Dolphin's name was both got fined 15,000 dollars. Good Lord, what do you all what, Light to be abolished from the league for a stupid fight? Dry your tears already!!

Steelman16
11-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Good Lord, Light and Crowder or whatever the Dolphin's name was both got fined 15,000 dollars. Good Lord, what do you all what, Light to be abolished from the league for a stupid fight? Dry your tears already!!

Can we get Tom Brady in that deal too? :chuckle:

No, it has nothing to do with the fight. It's called fairness. Hines gets slammed 15k for "unsportsmanlike conduct" (the ol' helmet slap...).

Matt Light and Crowder get into a fight, one beating the other over the head without his helmet on, and they get the same amount Hines did?

Somethin' don't add up. :coffee:

devilsdancefloor
11-26-2008, 03:45 PM
its not wrastling those where real punches! and yes something doesnt add up for sure.:noidea:

The Patriot
11-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Can we get Tom Brady in that deal too? :chuckle:

No, it has nothing to do with the fight. It's called fairness. Hines gets slammed 15k for "unsportsmanlike conduct" (the ol' helmet slap...).

Matt Light and Crowder get into a fight, one beating the other over the head without his helmet on, and they get the same amount Hines did?

Somethin' don't add up. :coffee:

Light probably should have been suspended but I have to admit I enjoyed the fight. :chuckle:

The Duke
11-26-2008, 05:50 PM

Choose a team already!!

markymarc
11-26-2008, 05:52 PM
More Goodell nonsense. So let me get this straight, Crowder has his helmet tore off, locks grabbed and punched in the head several times and still gets a $15,000 fine. The NFL continues to go down the wrong path with Goodell in charge.

Preacher
11-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Light probably should have been suspended but I have to admit I enjoyed the fight. :chuckle:

Sounds like a good hockey fan.

You know, I wouldn't have a problem with Light not being suspended, if Ward didn't get fined for what he did. However, Gooddeal just made a tap on the back of the helmet and a fist fight morally equivalent in the NFL (don't get hung up on the word morally anyone, it is meant as what is right and wrong WITHIN THE NFL).

He also just said that it is better to fight someone, repeatedly punching them in the back of the head, then it is to throw a block at the end of a play, or hit a QB a wittle too hard.

The Patriot
11-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Sounds like a good hockey fan.

You know, I wouldn't have a problem with Light not being suspended, if Ward didn't get fined for what he did. However, Gooddeal just made a tap on the back of the helmet and a fist fight morally equivalent in the NFL (don't get hung up on the word morally anyone, it is meant as what is right and wrong WITHIN THE NFL).

He also just said that it is better to fight someone, repeatedly punching them in the back of the head, then it is to throw a block at the end of a play, or hit a QB a wittle too hard.

That's why we need a uniform code of punishment. The owners and officials should get together and discuss how they want to protect and repremand the players.

steel striker
11-26-2008, 09:53 PM
It isa given that most of the calls we go against us no matter what. Goodell is a joke and, probably is on the cheaters payroll. Yeah we get fined for hitting too hard and, being too threatening.

steel striker
11-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Gee no suspension for Light big surprise there. NOT! The league has lost touch with the game and, they have there certain favorites. If one of our linemen have done that it would have been a 3 game suspension end of story.

X-Terminator
11-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Who said that? We don't expect a lynching, but for Hine's to get fined for blocking too hard, and this guy grabs a player by the hair and punches his head in... well I think one should have more consequence then the other. You must be a * fan.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

mesaSteeler
11-26-2008, 11:02 PM
(If Light had been a Steeler he would have been banned for life by that f'n loser Goodell. Belichat must have some pics or something of the Goodlell since every time a Patsicheat gets in trouble all they do is get a token fine where as Pacman gets banned for a year. It's enough to make you sick. - mesa)

No suspension for Matt Light
By John Tomase | Wednesday, November 26, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com | N.E. Patriots
Photo
Photo by Matthew West

Matt Light will indeed be in the starting lineup this Sunday when the Patriots [team stats] take on the 8-3 Pittsburgh Steelers. A league official has confirmed that the Patriots offensive lineman was fined – not suspended – for his altercation with Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder near the end of last Sunday’s game.

Light and Crowder were both fined $15,000 for the fight, which started during Stephen Gostkowski’s fourth-quarter field goal that gave the Pats a 41-28 lead at Dolphins Stadium. Light and Crowder continued wrestling after the kick and Crowder eventually lost his helmet. Light then got a couple of free shots on Crowder’s head before calm was restored.

The fine was the same received by Jacksonville’s John Henderson in an altercation with Cincinnati’s Andrew Whitworth a few weeks ago. Whitworth was fined $10,000.

The announcement earned a big sigh of relief in Foxboro. Light will be counted on in a big way against the Steelers’ top-ranked defense. Pittsburgh features a great pass rush, headed by outside linebackers LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison, who have combined for 22.5 sacks this season.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1135074

The Patriot
11-26-2008, 11:37 PM
(If Light had been a Steeler he would have been banned for life by that f'n loser Goodell. Belichat must have some pics or something of the Goodlell since every time a Patsicheat gets in trouble all they do is get a token fine where as Pacman gets banned for a year. It's enough to make you sick. - mesa)

Poor innocent Pacman. :shake01:

Preacher
11-27-2008, 02:51 AM

No suspension for Matt Light
By John Tomase | Wednesday, November 26, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com | N.E. Patriots
Photo
Photo by Matthew West

Matt Light will indeed be in the starting lineup this Sunday when the Patriots [team stats] take on the 8-3 Pittsburgh Steelers. A league official has confirmed that the Patriots offensive lineman was fined – not suspended – for his altercation with Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder near the end of last Sunday’s game.

Light and Crowder were both fined $15,000 for the fight, which started during Stephen Gostkowski’s fourth-quarter field goal that gave the Pats a 41-28 lead at Dolphins Stadium. Light and Crowder continued wrestling after the kick and Crowder eventually lost his helmet. Light then got a couple of free shots on Crowder’s head before calm was restored.

The fine was the same received by Jacksonville’s John Henderson in an altercation with Cincinnati’s Andrew Whitworth a few weeks ago. Whitworth was fined $10,000.

The announcement earned a big sigh of relief in Foxboro. Light will be counted on in a big way against the Steelers’ top-ranked defense. Pittsburgh features a great pass rush, headed by outside linebackers LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison, who have combined for 22.5 sacks this season.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1135074

Anyone wanna guess how many quarters it takes for Harrison to set off Light's temper?

Steelman16
11-27-2008, 03:27 AM
How about the first 10 minutes when he gets pushed by Harrison right into Cassel's legs...?

lilyoder6
11-27-2008, 10:32 AM
this is so stupid.... these players actually fight on national television but just get a slap on the wrist.. when pacman gets into a arguement thats heard by a few sorrounding ppl he is done...

xfl2001fan
11-27-2008, 02:40 PM
this is so stupid.... these players actually fight on national television but just get a slap on the wrist.. when pacman gets into a arguement thats heard by a few sorrounding ppl he is done...
You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. Jones is a thug who consistently gets into (or is surrounded by) trouble. He has a track record.

I agree with others that the stupidity of this is that Hines Ward made a perfectly legal (however hard) block and get's fined for 15K....and this guy is punching on the back of the head/pulling hair of helmetless football player and gets the exact same fine.

If the league was really concerned about player safety (I believe that was the excuse for the excessive fine) they'd make it so that all cutblocks are illegal.

But apparently a crackback block from a 200lb WR is far more dangerous than a 300+ lb offensive lineman throwing his body at your legs.

#1LambertFan
11-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Crowder was the victim and he gets fined 15,000 the same as Light. But what Light did would have gotten anybody else suspended but he is the most holding (yet never penalized) lineman in the history of football. Oh but Hines Ward making clean blocks or Woodley for his tackling the QB in an "intimidating manner" gets you fined and Goodeal talks about suspending them, but oh no god forbid his Patriots do anything wrong. They're Saints you know! I want to see Harrison lay him out.

#1LambertFan
11-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Anyone wanna guess how many quarters it takes for Harrison to set off Light's temper?

Hopefully none because if Harrison gets punched and goes in the fetal position (hypothetical of course) Harrison would likely get suspended and Light will get a pat on the back.

The Patriot
11-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Hopefully none because if Harrison gets punched and goes in the fetal position (hypothetical of course) Harrison would likely get suspended and Light will get a pat on the back.

:toofunny: I don't care if Light got suspended. If Harrison went down into the fetal position the whole season would be worth it.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Don't you get fined in MMA for punches to the back of the head?

fansince'76
11-28-2008, 12:28 PM

Hope it happens and Harrison beats his ass.

The Patriot
11-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Don't you get fined in MMA for punches to the back of the head?

The fight looks pretty fair to me. They even punched eachother at the exact same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA-z1KIamrI&feature=related

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-01-2008, 06:48 AM
Hope it happens and Harrison beats his ass.

I think you are a prophet...Harrison beat Lights ass several times yesterday.

stlrtruck
12-01-2008, 09:10 AM

Just before he welcomed Cassel to what it means to play a real defense!

The Duke
12-01-2008, 11:12 AM

Hmm.....maybe having harrison beat him up was the punishment....

Lol, for a second there I believed Goodell could be fair :flap:

tony hipchest
12-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Said QB Matt Cassel this morning: "It will be great to have Light out there, and I'm happy they came up with that ruling. As a quarterback, you love your left tackle, especially Matt Light. He's such a great player."

:chuckle: what a dumbass.

BrandonCarr39
12-03-2008, 12:35 AM
For the most part, the Pats are fortunate they have Brady who has that ultra-lightning release.

With that being said-I can't think of any worse LT than Matt Light. For the most part, LTs ARE your best OL b/c they protect the QBs blind side. However-I can't recall anyone like Light who constantly gets beat time and time and time again.

Tankus_Maximus
12-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Football just loses so much of its essence when it becomes like a pansy game.

What are you talking about?!

The UFC doesn't even allow the tactics Light used on Crowder! (pulling his hair and repeatedly hitting him in the back of the head with hammer punches).

Well, karma had a thing or two (as in strip-sacks) to say about your pinche tramposos....and it's name is JAMES HARRISON!

Putos.