PDA

View Full Version : Please don't let Potsie cover Welker

STEELAMANIA
11-25-2008, 07:27 PM
From last years's game, I thought it was ridiculous that Farrior was covering Wes Welker most of the time which was a mismatch. Ike is gonna shadow Moss the whole game this time and Welker should have Troy or Timmons shadowing him instead of Farrior. Either way, With Woodley in and a healthy Troy, I think the Pats won't score more than 17.
:popcorn:

Makaveli
11-25-2008, 07:36 PM
From last years's game, I thought it was ridiculous that Farrior was covering Wes Welker most of the time which was a mismatch. Ike is gonna shadow Moss the whole game this time and Welker should have Troy or Timmons shadowing him instead of Farrior. Either way, With Woodley in and a healthy Troy, I think the Pats won't score more than 17.
:popcorn:

It's gotta be Troy,.....Welker will kill Bryant,(Fernando) Townsend(?) OR Timmons. But there in lies the rub,.....it diminishes a bit of Coach Lebeau's flexibility.

Hapa
11-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Troy would be perfect because his kamikaze style is perfect on short yardage receivers- doesn't really work on deep play guys.

STEELAMANIA
11-25-2008, 07:44 PM
It's gotta be Troy,.....Welker will kill Bryant, Townsend(?) OR Timmons. But there in lies the rub,.....it diminishes a bit of Coach Lebeau's flexibility.

Timmons is a faster coverage guy in the flat than Farrior.......Timmons might not be able to run stride for stride with Welker, but his closing speed will be alot better than Farriors in this game.....

meelanova
11-25-2008, 07:47 PM
How about Ike shadowing Welker and a corner cover Moss with a safety over top?

STEELAMANIA
11-25-2008, 07:50 PM
How about Ike shadowing Welker and a corner cover Moss with a safety over top?

Ike is better shadowing Moss since he is the highest leaper in the secondary.........remember that leaping pick he did against Brady in Ben's rookie year?

Hapa
11-25-2008, 07:53 PM
The Steelers don't run much man-to-man defense, because it is risky and easy to defeat when you blitz heavily.

Rarely will you see on 3rd and long (obvious passing downs) the Steelers play man-to-man, because they will be zone blitzing.

Therefore, they're either playing cover 2, cover 3, or cover 4.

Cover 2 means that 2 players have deep zone responsibilities while everyone else that isn't blitzing (or qb spying) has an underneath zone.

Linebackers like Farrior, Foote, Timmons, and sometimes the corners will have these underneath zones.

Polamalu is likely to have a deep zone in cover 2, 3, or 4. There will be times, especially in cover 3, where Polamalu will have a shallow zone, but he will go deep a lot.

Therefore, that's why LBs were covering Welker last time. Because Welker runs mostly into the underneath zones and catches the short passes that move the chains. Guys from the secondary are usually deep, so they aren't covering him.

Hope this helped :)

Steeldude
11-25-2008, 07:57 PM
i don't think it's going to matter who is covering welker. whoever it is i am sure is going to give a 10 yard cushion.

has the steelers' D ever really stopped the short passing game with any consistency? that has been their weakness for a very long time.

STEELAMANIA
11-25-2008, 07:58 PM
If I were Lebeau, I would run the Nickel and Dime most of the game and use 1 middle linebacker. I would use the nickelback to cover Welker instead of Farrior. I hope they learned that it was a mismatch and adjust properly.

Makaveli
11-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Timmons is a faster coverage guy in the flat than Farrior.......Timmons might not be able to run stride for stride with Welker, but his closing speed will be alot better than Farriors in this game.....

I'm not so sure about the speed differential. (Didn't Timmons run like a 4.7, 4.8 coming out ?) But i digress as the "killer' will be his lack of quickness. Welker hits him with a double move on a timing pattern,.....and he (Timmons),..... is,....gone. (To say the least)

STEELAMANIA
11-25-2008, 08:04 PM
i don't think it's going to matter who is covering welker. whoever it is i am sure is going to give a 10 yard cushion.

has the steelers' D ever really stopped the short passing game with any consistency? that has been their weakness for a very long time.

After looking at last years game, Brady went to Welker alot and if I was Brady i would've went to Welker alot because of the mismatch. Farrior was just too slow to even at least knock the ball loose or get a good hit on Welker who always had time to run after the catch was made. With Brady gone, I'm sure Cassell is studying last years game. Hopefully the defense will play like their true identity this time.

billybob
11-25-2008, 10:00 PM
I know for a fact that Dick is not dumb. He has seen more than most of us ,when it comes to coverages , It very well could be easy pickens...for" Dicks Gang". Mike kept him for a reason.

meelanova
11-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Who is covering Moss or Welker he'll receive a lot of help. Dick should be running the nickel and dime defense like he does against good passing teams like Indy and Pats.

The Duke
11-26-2008, 01:51 PM
I honestly think the colts have a better offense than the pats, and the defense kept the colts controlled most of the game

It comes down to the steelers offense imo. They SHOULD be able to beat the pats soft D

#1LambertFan
11-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Or maybe let Troy be Troy and play zone coverage in th middle and take whoever has the ball out.

steelreserve
11-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Last year against the Patriots, our defense's problem was that it was passive and completely unimaginative. If we returned to the more aggressive style we played during our Super bowl run (and also in the time we beat the hell out of NE the year before that), that's what works. Seems like we've been doing that more often this year, probably because we have two complete stud linebackers that let us get more pressure. It'll be interesting to see what happens this time around, but I don't think they'll find it quite as easy to pass on us as last year.

markymarc
11-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Let's not forget last year we did not have Troy, Clark, Smith (most of the game) or even Timmons and Woodley. Woodley is now starting for us. Timmons plays often in this defense and should see a lot of playing time on Sunday. Troy and Clark will be helping out a lot with the short passing game. Our defense is heads and shoulders above last year's unit. I also think LeBeau will have something for Cassel and the Cheaters offense.

tyler289
11-26-2008, 05:27 PM
I would use Timmons to cover Kevin Faulk on 3rd downs, and Polamalu to handle Welker. Let Harrison and Woodley rush the passer and Farrior can handle the TEs.

lilyoder6
11-26-2008, 05:30 PM
i agree.. i think that the colts have a better off than the pats do... other than moss and welker, there other receiving personal rly don't get much attention unlike gonz and clark in indy.. timmons and his speed will help out a lot 2 cover the rb's coming out of the back-field on passing situations

markymarc
11-27-2008, 02:52 PM
That would be smart to have Troy shadow Welker and the biggest thing with Wes is to tackle him immediately so he doesn't get those big YACs.

steelpride12
11-27-2008, 03:20 PM
It will be up to a quick linebacker over the middle as all i see Welker doing is playing the short screens passes or short 5-6 yards passes over the middle and if not contained will burn out secondary good. I look for the young talented Timmons to play alot Sunday and see how he fares against him.

Hines0wnz
11-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Wasnt he covered by a LB due to a DB injury last year? I think Gay will do a decent job on him with Clark looking to unload a hit on him if he tries to squeak through over the middle. :wink02:

markymarc
11-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Wasnt he covered by a LB due to a DB injury last year? I think Gay will do a decent job on him with Clark looking to unload a hit on him if he tries to squeak through over the middle. :wink02:

Yea and unfortunately that LB was Farrior. I still believe a healthy Troy and Ryan will make a big difference this year since they were out last year. And no question Gay has done a very nice job this year. He has stepped up big time when given the opportunities.

BozMan
11-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Another interesting situation to bring up. Who would play better Sunday: 2nd year CB William Gay, or recovering, and questionable Bryant Mcfadden?

Good question. Who knows how well McFadden will play if this is indeed his first game back.

markymarc
11-28-2008, 11:22 PM
I would actually have Gay start and ease McFadden back as the dime/nickel CB for Sunday. He was off the past 5 weeks so McFadden is going to have plenty of rust to knock off and get his game legs back. Still is sweet that he is close to getting back.