PDA

View Full Version : Sweed

STEELAMANIA
11-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Cmon Ben.......look his way some more and he will catch the ball before he tries to run with it unlike Nate....

It's time to cut Dallas Baker........

steelpride12
11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Cmon Ben.......look his way some more and he will catch the ball before he tries to run with it unlike Nate....

It's time to cut Dallas Baker........

Baker already was cut.

fansince'76
11-25-2008, 07:43 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEED! :chuckle:

STEELAMANIA
11-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Baker already was cut.
When was Baker cut?

STEELAMANIA
11-25-2008, 07:47 PM

I was saying that alot after his sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet catch against the Bolts.

STEELAMANIA
11-25-2008, 07:48 PM
I was saying that alot after his sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet catch against the Bolts.

I meant the Banguls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fansince'76
11-25-2008, 07:48 PM
When was Baker cut?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08321/928330-66.stm

meelanova
11-25-2008, 07:49 PM
When was Baker cut?

About two weeks ago. I think they made room for a linebacker for special teams.

markymarc
11-25-2008, 08:08 PM
I loved that big 3rd down catch Sweed had late in the Bungles game. Also, Baker is now on the PS for us. I wonder if Martin Nance is showing anything in practices.

fansince'76
11-25-2008, 08:11 PM
I loved that big 3rd down catch Sweed had late in the Bungles game. Also, Baker is now on the PS for us. I wonder if Martin Nance is showing anything in practices.

Ahhh, so Baker did clear waivers and is back on the PS - hadn't heard about that.

markymarc
11-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Ahhh, so Baker did clear waivers and is back on the PS - hadn't heard about that.

Yea once he cleared waivers he was put back on the PS. At this point I don't think Baker will amount to much with the Steelers. Sweed will continue to develop nicely and hopefully Martin Nance can show something next year and stick on the roster.

Shoes
11-25-2008, 08:14 PM

:chuckle:

steeltheone
11-25-2008, 09:25 PM
In order for us to make significant improvement heading in the playoffs...Sweed needs to step it up.....he really could take our passing game up to a whole new level.

Galax Steeler
11-26-2008, 03:46 AM
It would be good to see Sweed step it up a notch if this could happen then we would have some great weapons on offense and one more Ben could look to on critical third down passes.

SteelMember
11-26-2008, 08:24 AM
I've nothing but high hopes for the Sweeeeeed, but like one of the announcers said during the bungals game (phil simms I think), "with his size, he needs to be more physical". This in reference to the catch near the 1st down marker, near the endzone. A little contact on his legs and he layed down. Plays like that he will need to convert in the future.

lilyoder6
11-26-2008, 09:09 AM
well grant it.. he was alrdy at the side line falling down.. it looked like he rly didn't have anytime 2 reach out his hands b4 his knee was down

SteelMember
11-26-2008, 11:13 AM
I guess my point was he just needs to use his body. Whether it's fighting for the sticks, or going up for a jump ball in the endzone, he needs to position himself better.

drizze99
11-26-2008, 12:29 PM
He is what Big Ben asked for, so now use him!

warddj86
11-26-2008, 01:57 PM
I would personally like to see a lob into the end zone by Ben that Sweed jumps over a DB to get for a TD, thats what will make the pick worth it.

SteelMember
11-26-2008, 02:08 PM
I would personally like to see a lob into the end zone by Ben that Sweed jumps over a DB to get for a TD, thats what will make the pick worth it.

:iagree:

I would like to see many of those. :tt03:

#1LambertFan
11-26-2008, 02:47 PM
But baker came back now and it was to make room for Fernando Bryant.

Hapa
11-26-2008, 03:54 PM
I've nothing but high hopes for the Sweeeeeed, but like one of the announcers said during the bungals game (phil simms I think), "with his size, he needs to be more physical". This in reference to the catch near the 1st down marker, near the endzone. A little contact on his legs and he layed down. Plays like that he will need to convert in the future.

Nothing you can do if someone tangle your legs.

The most physical running back in the league, a guy like Brandon Jacobs, can't do shit if someone tangles his legs.

markymarc
11-26-2008, 04:55 PM
I just want to continue to see Sweed and Ben gain rapport in the passing game. Sweed will be a good NFL WR and Ben just needs to continue throwing to him. This can only help in his development.

lilyoder6
11-26-2008, 05:36 PM
i think we should start using sweed more in the redzone since he has the height adv... just going to the corner of the endzone and ben throwing it up. it can work

Preacher
11-26-2008, 06:01 PM
i think we should start using sweed more in the redzone since he has the height adv... just going to the corner of the endzone and ben throwing it up. it can work

Aint No Way!

Not this year.

1. Sweed has dropped too many balls this year, both in practice and in games. That will change, again he is a rookie that is learning the system. I am not down on him at all, but I don't expect him to change overnight as well. He needs to be the LAST read on any play.

2. We have massive TE's that can go up and get the ball in the endzone. They are the ones that need to be thrown to first, or hit Hines coming up through the middle.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-26-2008, 09:05 PM
I wonder if Martin Nance is showing anything in practices.
Martin Nance is the new Dallas Baker, who was the new Walter Young.

markymarc
11-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Martin Nance is the new Dallas Baker, who was the new Walter Young.

You may be right, but I don't think that will happen. Remember Nance is coming off a knee injury and seemed to be playing well in Minnesota. Even Brad Childress said he is a good player and didn't make their team due to the numbers. Give him time to work with Ben again and it might turn out alright.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-27-2008, 12:39 AM
You may be right, but I don't think that will happen. Remember Nance is coming off a knee injury and seemed to be playing well in Minnesota. Even Brad Childress said he is a good player and didn't make their team due to the numbers. Give him time to work with Ben again and it might turn out alright.

I know....never say never. Nance was undrafted and signed with the Bills, then released and signed by the Vikings as "the numbers" were in favor of Aundrae Allison.????

If Childress thought Nance was so good, then why not sign him to their practice squad?? Instead they kept rookie 6th rounder Jaymar Johnson. Nance is here because of Ben and if Washinton leaves next season either Baker or Nance will get a shot at the #4 WR.......unless another rookie is drafted that can return kicks.

lilyoder6
11-27-2008, 09:37 AM
preacher even if so.. if u start having sweed going 2 the corner the def is going to have to recognize it and cover it, or it would be a easy td.. and when they do wry bout the corner route with sweed,,, then u can have 1 of our beast te's or ward come across the middle or sit down when sweed makes his cut towards the corner..

The Duke
11-27-2008, 09:49 AM
preacher even if so.. if u start having sweed going 2 the corner the def is going to have to recognize it and cover it, or it would be a easy td.. and when they do wry bout the corner route with sweed,,, then u can have 1 of our beast te's or ward come across the middle or sit down when sweed makes his cut towards the corner..

Believe me, if it was that easy they would have tried it already

This isn't madden

steeltheone
11-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Our receiving corps IMO is average at best .....We need to get Sweed ready for the playoffs....

steelpride12
11-27-2008, 12:57 PM
I truly think we have one of the top 5 receiving corps in the NFL right now. Ward being himself being a clutch player always good hands and gets the ball in times of need. Holmes and Washington being our more speedy as well as deep threats on the team and a player like Sweed who is a promising young talent for a 4th WR position!

I have not seen much out of Sweed this season so i can't jump on his bandwagon just yet. I truly want him to get time get out there and prove to the black and gold that he is a worthy receiver and will make us big plays game in and game out.

markymarc
11-27-2008, 03:28 PM
I know....never say never. Nance was undrafted and signed with the Bills, then released and signed by the Vikings as "the numbers" were in favor of Aundrae Allison.????

If Childress thought Nance was so good, then why not sign him to their practice squad?? Instead they kept rookie 6th rounder Jaymar Johnson. Nance is here because of Ben and if Washinton leaves next season either Baker or Nance will get a shot at the #4 WR.......unless another rookie is drafted that can return kicks.

Every organization has to play the numbers game. Let's not forget Nance went undrafted and the Jills and Vikings felt more comfortable with rookies they took in the draft. For the record who has a better shot at turning around an undrafted FA than the Steelers. We have been rock solid in that area. Ben and Nance had a history in college and who says that can't be rekindled in the NFL. At this point I stop wasting a roster spot on Dallas Baker. I thought this kid could show something but hasn't done squat. The only way we draft another WR next year is if Washington leaves.

markymarc
11-27-2008, 03:30 PM
All that I ask the final 5 weeks and our playoff run is the drops get fixed with our RBs, WRs and TEs. That and Arians keeps calling for short quick passes.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Ben and Nance had a history in college and who says that can't be rekindled in the NFL.

Jerry Rice and Willie Totten had chemistry at Miss. Valley St.

Peyton Manning had a history with Jermaine Copeland.

None of it means squat!!

Texasteel
11-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Believe me, if it was that easy they would have tried it already

This isn't madden

I agree Duke, we fans have a habit of over reacting on both good plays and bad. I really can't see us change our game plan to try to get the ball to a WR that is still our #4 WR.

markymarc
11-27-2008, 07:27 PM

None of it means squat!!

Well I guess that means you won't be sending Martin Nance any Christmas cards anytime soon. Also, it's funny how you talk about Nance or Baker fighting for the #4 WR spot if Washington leaves. What exactly has Baker done to show he belongs in the NFL........exactly he hasn't done shit, but the funny thing is Baker and Nance are both on the PS. Just like you don't hold out hope for Nance, I definitely won't hold my breath for Baker.

markymarc
11-27-2008, 07:39 PM

None of it means squat!!

Guess not if they never played on the same team at the NFL level. But hey Nance and Ben are now on the same team again and anything can happen.

lilyoder6
11-27-2008, 08:49 PM
are u ser... the only reason we haven't tried it was A: he is a rookie and needed 2 learn the playbook.. B: he was blind as a bat and got contacts or w/e and needed 2 adjust.. and C: b/c all of this he was 5th of the chart and needed 2 move up..

it's not the fact they tried it and it did not work.. it's the fact that they were not able 2 try it b/c of all of those factors.. and now at least he can see and knows enough of the playbook 2 go out and make some plays

the_king_from_leon
11-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Im definately showing some love for Limas! He was on form the other day against the Bungles and definately think they need to move him into a few more plays!

markymarc
11-28-2008, 10:48 PM
If Sweed can continue to grab 1-2 passes a game the rest of this year, maybe he will win the Steelers ROY award.