PDA

View Full Version : Steelers face daunting schedule

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Steelers face daunting schedule
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Looks like the NFL's most difficult schedule is about to become even more challenging.

At 8-3, the Steelers lead Baltimore by a game in the AFC North and have positioned themselves as a top playoff contender. However, given the dynamics of head-to-head matchups and tiebreakers, the next four weeks could determine the Steelers' playoff position -- or if they even will advance to the postseason for the second consecutive year under coach Mike Tomlin.

Starting with Sunday's game at New England, the Steelers will face their toughest stretch of games under Tomlin.

After facing the 7-4 Patriots, the Steelers will host Dallas (7-4) before returning to the road against Baltimore (7-4) and Tennessee (10-1).

The combined 31-13 record of those four opponents is good for a .705 winning percentage. The winning percentage of the Steelers' first 11 opponents this season was .450.

"I didn't care about the schedule in March. I don't care about the schedule now. I really don't," Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly news conference. "We play New England this week, and that's where we're at. That's where our attention needs to be. I (couldn't) care less what's going to happen in the upcoming month, or the subsequent weeks. That's never been our mentality and won't be."

Four of the Steelers' first 11 opponents have winning records. The Steelers defeated Baltimore, in overtime, and Washington (7-4), but lost to the New York Giants (10-1) and Indianapolis (7-4).

New England, Sunday's opponent, overcame the loss of superstar quarterback Tom Brady in the opener to trail the New York Jets by one game in the AFC East.

Quarterback Matt Cassel, Brady's understudy who never started a game in college, has posted back-to-back 400-yard passing performances. He will test a Steelers defense that hasn't permitted an opposing quarterback to pass for 250 yards this season.

"Our guys know about New England. They're a great football team," Tomlin said. "Well-coached. Rock solid in all three phases (offense, defense, special teams)."

Last season, New England won, 34-13, marking the largest scoring output against the Steelers.

The Steelers haven't beaten the Patriots on the road since 1997.

"It's good to have a veteran football team, one that undrestands what this time of year is about and what we're trying to do," Tomlin said. "But at the same time, as a coach, you don't take that for granted. You talk about what's required this time of year, you talk about what's necessary for us to continue to move in the direction that we're headed."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_600174.html

KeiselPower99
11-26-2008, 09:30 AM
We play the games we have to play and see what happens. 5 games left and 4 against really good teams. if we can go 3-2 at least over theose games and I think we will be fine.

HometownGal
11-26-2008, 09:41 AM
We play the games we have to play and see what happens. 5 games left and 4 against really good teams. if we can go 3-2 at least over theose games and I think we will be fine.

Exactly. One game at a time.

We really need to score W's against the Pats*, Rats and Tites and hopefully, we will have a more healthy corps by the time those games roll around.

This is the time of the season where the playoff contenders begin to separate themselves from the playoff pretenders. If the Steelers can send the Pats* packing in their own backyard and come out of that game healthy and strong, their momentum will only continue to build in the weeks to follow. It's gonna be one helluva ride! :tt03::tt02:

Steelerfreak58
11-26-2008, 10:05 AM
This isn't a surprise we knew the schedule was brutal. The only real shocker is that the Ravens have a decent offensive attack which helps out their defense now. Everyone knew this year was going to be rough.

With the way the offense is performing getting in to the playoffs this year will be a treat.

Blitzburgh_Fever
11-26-2008, 10:13 AM
This isn't a surprise we knew the schedule was brutal. The only real shocker is that the Ravens have a decent offensive attack which helps out their defense now. Everyone knew this year was going to be rough.

With the way the offense is performing getting in to the playoffs this year will be a treat.

Hopefully Ben is about to turn it around. I really wish we would've let Ben play a half and then put Leftwich in against the Bengals. Given the schedule we have ahead of us, benching Ben as a pre-emptive injury safeguard is out of the question now.

KeiselPower99
11-26-2008, 12:47 PM
In the words of Denny Green The schedule is what we thought it is.

iDash
11-26-2008, 01:14 PM
A Carolina Fan Pointed this Out to me,

Hopefully, it will make Pitt better in the Playoffs!

Dino 6 Rings
11-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Bring it on!

This week, the Patriots. Prevent them from cracking 200 in passing yards and bring home a W and I'll be happy.

markymarc
11-26-2008, 04:49 PM
I truly believe our final 5 games will make us much stronger for the playoff run. Yes they are very tough games, but let's not forget the Steelers are not slouches either. The Cheaters, Cowgirls, Rats, Titans and Stains have to play the Steelers. Like I said this will make us a better team once in the playoffs.

Steelersfootball1208
11-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Hopefully, it will make Pitt better in the Playoffs!

I definately think its gonna help. If we beat some of these tough teams it will give us a lot of confidence heading into the playoffs. The most important game remaining though is Baltimore. I would love nothing more than to sweep them for the first time in Forever and get the division title sealed. I also think the Titans are overated and we match up great with them.

Go Steelers!

tyler289
11-26-2008, 05:25 PM
It just means every game is basically a playoff game, which only helps us if we do make the playoffs.

lilyoder6
11-26-2008, 05:31 PM
this stretch is also important 2 whether we win the division or not.. we are only 1 game ahead.. and that game against the ravens could be the most import game out of the remaining games

Steelersfootball1208
11-26-2008, 05:38 PM
I would absolutely love to sweep the Ravens!!

xbroughneck
11-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Wouldn't have it any other way. The Steelers will be tested by the time the playoffs come around. :tt:

GridironWarrior
11-26-2008, 07:33 PM
With the Oline plays against good Dlines I could see 4 of these games being loses. I hope they prove me wrong though.

steel striker
11-26-2008, 08:24 PM
We all knew about our schedule this year but, we did not think the rats would be this close like it was mentioned above. Look one game at a time don't look ahead. So GridironWarrior who's side are you on here? j/k lol Again if we play mistake free football we can beat any team. It all comes down to Ben playing smart and our defense taking care of business.

GBMelBlount
11-26-2008, 09:01 PM
The Steelers have what it takes to win it all. If they are collectively focused on winning the Superbowl and play that way, it shouldn't matter whether the teams they play have a winning percentage of .400 or .700.....

stlrtruck
11-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Here's a daunting schedule...

ONE GAME AT A TIME, PERIOD!

markymarc
11-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Here's a daunting schedule...

ONE GAME AT A TIME, PERIOD!

Now what fun is that :laughing: