PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Parker might be out Sunday

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Steelers Notebook: Parker might be out Sunday
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Swollen knee makes him questionable for game against New England
Halfback Willie Parker has swelling in his left knee and coach Mike Tomlin listed him as questionable to play Sunday for the Steelers at the New England Patriots.

Parker left in the third quarter of the game Thursday against Cincinnati after he pulled up out of bounds after a 15-yard run.

Mewelde Moore will start at halfback if Parker cannot return.

Cornerback Bryant McFadden could return to play; Tomlin also listed him as questionable. McFadden has not played since his right forearm was broken Oct. 19.

Tomlin listed cornerback Deshea Townsend as doubtful with a hamstring injury that has caused him to miss the past two games, and offensive left tackle Marvel Smith is "status quo," not a good sign since Smith has missed the past six games with a back problem.

The coach confirmed that defensive end Brett Keisel will miss the New England game with a sprained MCL in his left knee and may miss two more games after that.

No full endorsement
Mitch Berger was not given a ringing endorsement the day Tomlin released him in favor of Paul Ernster, and it was not the case again just because Berger is back in place of Ernster.

Apparently, the tipping point for re-signing Berger is his ability to hold for kicker Jeff Reed.

"Mitch, when we made the decision to go to Paul, I characterized it as not up to snuff," Tomlin said. "Obviously, not up to snuff is relative. We're glad to have Mitch back.

"The reason you go back to him is continuity. Jeff is having an awesome season, has been very consistent for us. When you bring in a guy like Mitch, who's got experience with him in the holding category, it weighs into your decision. Hopefully, it continues to be an effective element of our game. I'm talking about place-kicking, and Mitch will be a big part of that. We'll need Mitch to do a quality job punting as well."

Just being Anthony Smith
Just when everyone thought Anthony Smith could not top his guaranteed victory call against New England last season, he came close.

Smith was torched for two long touchdown passes as the starting safety in the Steelers' 34-13 loss at New England last season. It came days after he guaranteed a victory.

Oops, he's at it again.

"If they ask me again, I'll say the same thing," he told the Indiana Gazette after the game Thursday night.

"We're the No. 1 defense. If we play like we've been playing, and our offense comes around and has a good game, and we're clicking on all cylinders, we're going to win the game."

Smith no longer is the first safety into the game for injuries. That job belongs to Tyrone Carter. Smith has played in all but one game this season, mostly on special teams.

Tomlin, asked yesterday if that game affected Smith's career, replied:

"You'd have to ask Anthony that. I'm not going to use that game as a turning point or benchmark for anyone or anybody. His career is his career."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08331/930838-66.stm

iDash
11-26-2008, 02:15 PM
That bites to bad My Mend is Out!

eafratitpm3
11-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I thought I already heard yesterday he was out for sure.

markymarc
11-26-2008, 05:46 PM
That sucks for FWP. I just want him to get healthy for our playoff run. I have complete faith in Moore and Russell getting the job done until FWP is ready again. I do believe Moore and Russell could have big games on Sunday.

Galax Steeler
11-27-2008, 05:27 AM
It would be good if we can get Parker back but we will be ok with Moore he has already proven himself this year and should be able to run against the Patriots.

HometownGal
11-27-2008, 09:47 AM
We are going to need both FWP and MeMo for the playoffs and I'd prefer if Willie isn't near 100% with that knee, he takes the time to get it to where it needs to be. We'll be fine with MeMo and Russell until he is ready to get out there and pound the turf again. :tt02:

lilyoder6
11-27-2008, 10:16 AM
i would like 2 have willie right now b/c we are gonna need our 3 rb's with the stretch we have now... but i agree that willie should be rest and healed 4 playoff time... we still have davis who can run and block... and he is capable of doing that well enough

steelpride12
11-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Lets just let FWP heal up for the playoffs him and Memo will be out 1-2 punch and will be big threats in the running game when healthy.

markymarc
11-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Just means more carries for Russell and that is not a bad thing. Get well soon FWP.