PDA

View Full Version : Patriots will challenge Steelers secondary with Cassel

mesaSteeler
11-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Patriots will challenge Steelers secondary with Cassel
By Jim Wexell , For the Herald-Standard
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=2280&dept_id=468632&newsid=20208820

PITTSBURGH - The writers in New England last year lambasted Anthony Smith for the so-called guarantee he made on behalf of his Pittsburgh Steelers.
The same writers are on the attack again this year. Both Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger were asked about Smith in conference calls Wednesday, and both tried to put the old story behind them.

"But he did it again!" the writers responded.

Of course, the writers are attempting to overhype another non-event. Here's what Smith actually said to a suburban Pittsburgh reporter Thursday night after the Steelers beat the Cincinnati Bengals:

"If we play like we've been playing, and our offense comes around and has a good game, and we're clicking on all cylinders, we're going to win the game."

Smith forgot to say that if his team scores a lot of points, and the Patriots score a few points, the Steelers will win the game. But that's just crazy talk.

Tomlin responded to the hyperventilating New Englanders that he hadn't heard the latest Smith comment, even though he had. The previous night, on a Fox 970 radio show, Tomlin was asked about it, and he responded this way: "Why do you interview backup safeties?"

Great point. Smith isn't starting this year. This year, the starters are back in the lineup, and Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu figure to do a better job against the Patriots' passing game.

"We were confident last year against them," said Polamalu. "Obviously they beat us up pretty good. But this year's a different story. They're a different team; we're a different team."

The Steelers will have Polamalu and Clark, not Smith and Ty Carter, in their deep patrol. And the Patriots will have Matt Cassel, not Tom Brady, throwing the ball.

Last year, Brady threw for 399 yards and four touchdowns in the Patriots' 34-13 win. At one point in the game, Brady threw 32 times in 33 plays. After Deshea Townsend got hurt, the Steelers were forced to use a linebacker to cover slot receiver Wes Welker and Brady went to him on six consecutive plays.

But the actors in this play have changed. Along with the safeties, the Steelers might also have Townsend back in the lineup. He practiced Wednesday for the first time since leaving the Indianapolis game three weeks ago with a hamstring injury. The Steelers should also have Bryant McFadden back for the first time since he broke his forearm Oct. 19 against Cincinnati.

In Brady's place is Cassel, the former college backup who's thrown for over 400 yards in each of the last two weeks. Last week, Cassel completed 30 of 43 passes for 415 yards and three touchdowns, all of which were caught by Randy Moss, who was the recipient of single coverage most of the game. The Miami Dolphins felt it was more important to use their free safety over the top of Welker instead of Moss. Clark was asked which receiver he'd cover.

"Whichever one you can hit the hardest," Clark said. "I don't really care, to be honest with you. You just do your job. The biggest thing with us this year is everyone's been doing their job. If it's my responsibility on that play to stop Randy Moss deep, I can't worry about what (Welker)'s doing, and vice versa.

"The one thing about our defense is you have to worry as much about what we're going to do as what you're trying to do. You have to keep LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison off your quarterback. So a lot of these things you have time to do against other teams, I think we don't allow those."

Clark's bravado might not rise to the level of his teammate Anthony Smith, but then again, you'd never want to say something like, "If we score more points, we'll win." It'd be too big of a deal in New England.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-27-2008, 01:00 AM
, you'd never want to say something like, "If we score more points, we'll win." It'd be too big of a deal in New England.

Great Line!!!

I thought most of those clowns would be more concerned with Manny Ramirez and Sabathia going to the Yankee's instead of the Steelers special team cover guy.

SteelersMongol
11-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Stupid writers. Always looking 4 some sh*t to get people's attentions. But I'd say our coach shut em up pretty good.

HometownGal
11-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Tomlin responded to the hyperventilating New Englanders that he hadn't heard the latest Smith comment, even though he had. The previous night, on a Fox 970 radio show, Tomlin was asked about it, and he responded this way: "Why do you interview backup safeties?"

Slammmmmm dunk!

:toofunny::toofunny::applaudit::thumbsup:

If Baby Ass Chin is given time to check his receivers and throw the ball, it's going to be a long day. The kid is a decent QB and I'm not going into this game taking him for granted. The Steelers have to keep the pressure on him the ENTIRE game and get into his head. That is when the mistakes will come and the Steelers can capitalize on them.

lilyoder6
11-27-2008, 09:19 AM
cassell coming off of back 2 back 400 yrd games will be a hard one 4 our def... i would like 2 see our def get a lot of sacks... we need to make up some from the bengals game

Guttpuppy
11-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Can't wait to see what LeBeau has planned for getting to Cassel on Sunday... dude simply hasn't seen a D like ours before and will no doubt be overwhelmed.

Fire Haley
11-27-2008, 09:51 AM
"Whichever one you can hit the hardest," Clark said.

sweet!

Ryan Clark just does not get enough love around here.

TackleMeBen
11-27-2008, 10:28 AM
tomlin gives the best answers to stupid questions...

and wont it be hard for cassel to challenge our secondary if he is laying on his back most of the game thanks to harrison and woodley?? i hope those two putting a hurting on cassel that he wont forget!!!

xfl2001fan
11-27-2008, 01:35 PM
cassell coming off of back 2 back 400 yrd games will be a hard one 4 our def... i would like 2 see our def get a lot of sacks... we need to make up some from the bengals game

Cassell coming off of back to back 400 yard games means that (in all likelihood) he'll "regress to the mean". He's far less likely to be able to produce those numbers a third consecutive week against an average defense...let alone against the Steelers defense.

LVSteelersfan
11-27-2008, 01:59 PM
I think the biggest problem we will have with Cassel is that he runs up the middle very well when things break down. I hope someone knocks him into next week if he tries it, but it is a major concern. That and keeping Welker under control.

markymarc
11-27-2008, 07:20 PM
I so can't wait until Sunday at 4:15. I love to read articles about the Steelers, but just want the game to happen. There will be a lot of match ups to analyze. The Steelers secondary may be challenged, but it sure will be nice having Troy and Ryan back there helping out.

missedgehead
11-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Cassell will have a hard time with the Steelers Defense. That is true. Should be interesting to see what happens. As long as the Steelers Offense puts up more points than the Pats' Offense, that is the key. :) Nice to have a great defense, like we got, but if your offense is not doing crap, what's the point?

MACH1
11-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Cassell will have a hard time with the Steelers Defense. That is true. Should be interesting to see what happens. As long as the Steelers Offense puts up more points than the Pats' Offense, that is the key. :) Nice to have a great defense, like we got, but if your offense is not doing crap, what's the point?

Have you picked a bandwagon yet?

The Duke
11-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Have you picked a bandwagon yet?

We'll know by February 1st :coffee:

Blonde Bomber
11-27-2008, 10:30 PM
I think the biggest problem we will have with Cassel is that he runs up the middle very well when things break down. I hope someone knocks him into next week if he tries it, but it is a major concern. That and keeping Welker under control.

53 rushes for 199 yards...maybe he will try to sneak through, Hampton grabs a leg, and well you know ....he takes it on the chin :tt:

Hines0wnz
11-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Let's be real......its the Pats vs Steelers so its going to be a dink/dunk fest for most of the game. Once Welker and the other second rate receivers get hit by a healthy Troy and Ryan that ship will sail fast. Moss will not be much of a factor unless there is blown coverage but Ike has been solid this year. The biggest offensive threat in this game (as I see it) is Faulk on screen passes. The secondary doesnt have to be great in this game, they just have to be solid like they have all year long. :coffee:

markymarc
11-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Let's be real......its the Pats vs Steelers so its going to be a dink/dunk fest for most of the game. Once Welker and the other second rate receivers get hit by a healthy Troy and Ryan that ship will sail fast. Moss will not be much of a factor unless there is blown coverage but Ike has been solid this year. The biggest offensive threat in this game (as I see it) is Faulk on screen passes. The secondary doesnt have to be great in this game, they just have to be solid like they have all year long. :coffee:

Like you stated Moss will not be a threat because Ike will shadow him all day. I've said all along that there are only 2 players that concern me for the Cheaters offense and that is Welker and Faulk. if we get Townsend and McFadden back then I could care less about Welker. If Timmons plays a lot more snaps on Sunday as he should then Faulk does not really scare me either.