PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart worker trampled to death

KeiselPower99
11-28-2008, 02:28 PM
NEW YORK A worker was killed in the crush Friday after a throng of shoppers eager for post-Thanksgiving bargains burst through the doors at a suburban Wal-Mart, authorities said.

At least four other people were injured, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island was closed.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a "tragic situation" and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," co-worker Jimmy Overby, 43, told the Daily News. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too. ... I literally had to fight people off my back."

Nassau County police said the 34-year-old worker was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m. The man's name was not released and the cause of death was not immediately known.

A police statement said shortly after the store's 5 a.m. opening time, shoppers "physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to the ground."

A metal portion of the door was crumpled like an accordion.

Shoppers around the country lined up early outside stores in the annual bargain hunting ritual known as Black Friday. Many stores open early and stay open late, and some of the most dramatic bargains are available in limited quantities.

Among the bargains offered by Wal-Mart for Friday were Samsung 50-inch high definition Plasma TVs for less than $800.

Witnesses told the Daily News that before the store was closed, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the worker's life.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead," said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation, and she and the unborn baby were both reported to be OK, said Sgt. Anthony Repalone, a Nassau County police spokesman. Four or five other people suffered minor injuries, he said.

Ellen Davis, a spokeswoman at National Retail Federation, said the group knew of no other incident where a retail employee has died working on the day after Thanksgiving.

Wal-Mart is working closely with police, company spokesman Dan Fogleman said.

"The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority," Fogleman said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families at this difficult time."

fansince'76
11-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Idiots. I personally never go near a store, any store, on Black Friday. I don't care how good the bargains are, it's simply not worth it.

xfl2001fan
11-28-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm with the boxing-pig (on both statements!)

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Luckily for me I close every year on Black Friday....

Just goes to show you how crowd mentality works...

SteelCityMan786
11-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Luckily for me I close every year on Black Friday....

Just goes to show you how crowd mentality works...

People need to grow up. There is still almost 4 weeks to go until Christmas. Plenty of time.

touchdownward
11-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Stores like Walmart create these scenarios, with offering great deals with a very limited supply. People know this and act like animals, irregardless of others safety. Walmart should take some of the blame as well.

X-Terminator
11-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I normally do not go shopping early on Black Friday because of situations like this, but I did this morning in order to pick up a gift for a friend that I know for a fact I will not get any cheaper before Christmas. There were the typical big crowds, but nothing like what happened in that store. I've seen it from both sides, having worked Black Friday years ago in a local JC Penney - people go completely nuts and will run you over so that they can get that big bargain. The one way to stop all of this insanity is to make larger quantities available so that people don't have to storm the entrances to get them, but I don't see that happening. It's unfortunate, and my prayers go out to this person's family.

MACH1
11-28-2008, 05:09 PM
I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than go out on black friday.

SteelCityMan786
11-28-2008, 05:30 PM

Or I'd rather be a business that limits the amount of people in the store at a time.

HometownGal
11-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Freakin' rabid dogs. :mad: I stay as far away from stores as possible on Black Friday. I do most of my holiday shopping online and get deals just as good (and sometimes even better) than I would buying them directly at the stores.

What a tragic and unfortunate end to such a young life. I pray for him and his family and hope they sue the living shit out of Wal Mart. It won't bring their loved one back, but maybe stores like this who don't give a flying fandoozle about anything other than the almighty dollar will learn a very valuable (and costly) lesson.

Preacher
11-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Freakin' rabid dogs. :mad: I stay as far away from stores as possible on Black Friday. I do most of my holiday shopping online and get deals just as good (and sometimes even better) than I would buying them directly at the stores.

What a tragic and unfortunate end to such a young life. I pray for him and his family and hope they sue the living shit out of Wal Mart. It won't bring their loved one back, but maybe stores like this who don't give a flying fandoozle about anything other than the almighty dollar will learn a very valuable (and costly) lesson.

Ding Ding Ding.

I understand what you're saying about Walmart. However, those who stampeded, and lost their humanity as they crushed a human being under them are just as guilty. Granted, Wal-mart is a bigger target and easier to sue, but the individuals who acted like animals are just as guilty.

Hammer Of The GODS
11-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Absolutely unreal!

WTF goes through a persons mind when they are stepping all over someone to save a couple of bucks?

A little reality check for my fellow Steeler fans......................

If a dirty nuke (or worse) is set off by terrorists in this country and the water and food supply is effected which it surely will be, this country will be 3rd world overnight! It will be a free for all and it will be................ dog eat dog!

If a couple of dollars saved on a TV is worth trampling a man to death what will people do to get water and food?

This country is rapidly filling up with people who don't give a shit about nothing but themselves and the stupid crap they can collect!

This country is full of floaters that need to be flushed swirl :poop: swirl

MACH1
11-28-2008, 06:35 PM
There was something just on the news that a couple people got shot at a toy store somewhere, I missed where.

The Patriot
11-28-2008, 07:07 PM
There was something just on the news that a couple people got shot at a toy store somewhere, I missed where.

But all in Christmas spirit!

HometownGal
11-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Granted, Wal-mart is a bigger target and easier to sue, but the individuals who acted like animals are just as guilty.

Oh absolutely, but good luck trying to find those who trampled that poor man. It's sickening that human beings feel the need to act like this just to save a couple of dollars. :mad:

HometownGal
11-28-2008, 07:09 PM

I heard about that. I believe it was in Boston where hoardes of Pats* fans were desperately trying to find wheels for their bandwagons. :chuckle:

MACH1
11-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I heard about that. I believe it was in Boston where hoardes of Pats* fans were desperately trying to find wheels for their bandwagons. :chuckle:

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Preacher
11-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Oh absolutely, but good luck trying to find those who trampled that poor man. It's sickening that human beings feel the need to act like this just to save a couple of dollars. :mad:

Video cameras!

:eye:

Sure makes you understand that people have NO CLUE what Christmas is about. Oh wait, it isn't Christmas anymore, its now holidays.

No wonder.

MACH1
11-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Video cameras!

Were the Pats* in town? :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
11-28-2008, 08:02 PM
We all live in the "What have you done for me lately?" society. This country is too self centered.

cubanstogie
11-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Video cameras!

Sure makes you understand that people have NO CLUE what Christmas is about. Oh wait, it isn't Christmas anymore, its now holidays.

No wonder.

I was about to ask if we can say merry christmas on this site. We don't want to offend any secularists.

The Patriot
11-28-2008, 08:32 PM
We all live in the "What have you done for me lately?" society. This country is too self centered.

:blah:
People have always been self-centered.

SteelCityMan786
11-28-2008, 08:40 PM
:blah:
People have always been self-centered.

It's probably even worse now then in the past.

HometownGal
11-28-2008, 08:48 PM

It sure is. Americans are now so spoiled rotten and want the "gimme now' instead of earning their keep with blood, sweat and tears. It's just too easy in this day and age for Americans to be lazy and it's sad.

SteelCityMan786
11-28-2008, 09:09 PM
It sure is. Americans are now so spoiled rotten and want the "gimme now' instead of earning their keep with blood, sweat and tears. It's just too easy in this day and age for Americans to be lazy and it's sad.

Yep, one more reason why Government well fair needs reformed!!!

System where the only way you can have permanent welfare is if you fail a physical! Otherwise you only get temporary.

beSteelmyheart
11-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Another perfect example of this annual materialistic horror that we call Christmas. And the idiots who still buy into the whole sickening culture of the Christmas spending binge.

X-Terminator
11-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I also found out tonight that another worker at a local Wal-Mart was also knocked down and trampled, but fortunately he only suffered a broken arm.

I think I'll be taking a pass next year on Black Friday. People today have lost their minds.

Preacher
11-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Another perfect example of this annual materialistic horror that we call Christmas. And the idiots who still buy into the whole sickening culture of the Christmas spending binge.

Yep.

Who would EVER think, that the origin of this holiday is a belief that God become man and sacrificing for humanity.

Today, people would ask for 40% off on tickets to the birth, 50% off and early seats to the crucifixion.

SteelCityMan786
11-28-2008, 10:55 PM
I also found out tonight that another worker at a local Wal-Mart was also knocked down and trampled, but fortunately he only suffered a broken arm.

I think I'll be taking a pass next year on Black Friday. People today have lost their minds.

I think people need to grow the hell up. No reason to be jagoffs during the holidays. Black Friday is one of the many things that forces people into debt.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-28-2008, 11:39 PM
How about only let say 5 people in the store. As one comes out, another goes in.

or

Have some sort of "ticket" for doorbuster items. Only have enough tickets for the amount of items you have. Give them to people in line "first come first serve", and when you run out...tough doody! Keep the ticket items in the back and have store associates (armed with pepper spray and tazers) bring the items to the customer at the checkouts.

The Patriot
11-29-2008, 01:17 AM

Let's not make bleak statements about modern society because a few idiots from New Jersey killed somebody.

Steelman16
11-29-2008, 01:49 AM
They say money is the root of all evil. Actually it's greed.

Plain and simple greed.

Those people have blood on their hands because of their greed; all to save $5 on a toy that will be stuffed in the closet in 3 months.

"Here Sonny, Merry Christmas! I had to murder someone in order to get you this worthless toy. I hope you like it."

Irks my blood. :mad:

Preacher
11-29-2008, 03:45 AM
They say money is the root of all evil. Actually it's greed.

Plain and simple greed.

Those people have blood on their hands because of their greed; all to save $5 on a toy that will be stuffed in the closet in 3 months.

"Here Sonny, Merry Christmas! I had to murder someone in order to get you this worthless toy. I hope you like it."

Irks my blood. :mad:

Actually, the verse is, "The LOVE of money is the root of all evil"
Yes, that would be greed.

lambertlunaticfan
11-29-2008, 04:25 AM
all i have to say is,its a sad world,when things like this happen,you have to think,whats it all for.......and to blame the stores like walmart and others for making the sales etc.is a weak arguement......cause if youre going to blame them,then you have to blame the media for making the "black friday" such a event ,and over hypeing it up like they do,i mean coming up with that name like its always been called that......its funny,when i was a kid,we just called it the day after thanksgiving......but now the media came up with that name themselves,and just ran with it, the catchy catch phase as the media loves to do,every story needs thier own tag line and theme music.......and then they sit outside of these stores with thier cameras and mention the crowds....and people love attention, and being on tv makes people go crazy,nothing incits a riot more than a camera showing them on tv...............but at the end of the day,its the people who did it are to blame......dont blame the situation that led to it,blame the people who pushed at the door and brought the door into that poor person,and now thier familys are having to deal with thier lose now,my heart goes out to them,thats no way to end this life,by shoppers crushing you...and all of them should have guilt that they killed someone..................its doesnt get sadder than that......other than maybe the ones that cared so much with a fallen fellow human by walking past the people trying to save this person and going "get a cart lets shop"....guess i had more to say,than its a sad world........:pde:.

GBMelBlount
11-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Although I'm not a fan of black Friday, I personally wouldn't blame Walmart. A good parallel is blaming gun manufacturers when people shoot and murder others. This all comes down to the breakdown of our society imo. People have always been selfish and greedy, but the norms and values as far as what is considered to be right, good and obligatory, are not being imparted to our current generation.

X-Terminator
11-29-2008, 08:52 AM
How about only let say 5 people in the store. As one comes out, another goes in.

or

Have some sort of "ticket" for doorbuster items. Only have enough tickets for the amount of items you have. Give them to people in line "first come first serve", and when you run out...tough doody! Keep the ticket items in the back and have store associates (armed with pepper spray and tazers) bring the items to the customer at the checkouts.

That is how Best Buy does it, because they had a similar situation a few years ago where fights would break out among people trying to get in their stores. They went to the ticket system, and I've not heard of any problems since then. It's something that Wal-Mart should consider.

Also, to the person who said the media came up with the term "Black Friday," actually it was the retail companies that came up with it because they base all of their Christmas sales on that day and hope they end up in the black. Hence, "Black Friday." I don't think they envisioned people trampling another person to death to get in the store, though. So in that regard, Wal-Mart can't be blamed.

SteelCityMan786
11-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Let's not make bleak statements about modern society because a few idiots from New Jersey killed somebody.

Why? It's the truth. A good portion of the rest of our society is greedy and are in the mind set of "What have you done for me lately?"

lambertlunaticfan
11-30-2008, 02:51 AM
hi there-i dont know if youre talking about me,but i said that about the media and what i ment about that was the media found out that name and ran with that catch phase,as i know retailers might have always called it that,as i know the history behind it,but it wasnt always known outside of them,it was a trade nickname for it,but with the media now days they run with things like that.....but i was replying to some one blaming walmart for it by having the big sales and all i was saying,is if youre blaming them, you have to blame the media for promoting it with thier cameras being there and the news storys about the crowds and hyping it up etc.......have you ever been somewhere the news is and people around you get a camera pointed at them,they go nuts...............and i would never say they envisioned people get trampled like that,so i sure hope thats not about me........and like the one post said on here,its like blaming gun makers for someone shooting someone,blame the people who did,not the events that led up or made it happen..........but i will say this,i think that walmart couldve maybe prevented it,by not opening the doors and having securty go out there and make the crowd be more human and not like animals......That is how Best Buy does it, because they had a similar situation a few years ago where fights would break out among people trying to get in their stores. They went to the ticket system, and I've not heard of any problems since then. It's something that Wal-Mart should consider.

Also, to the person who said the media came up with the term "Black Friday," actually it was the retail companies that came up with it because they base all of their Christmas sales on that day and hope they end up in the black. Hence, "Black Friday." I don't think they envisioned people trampling another person to death to get in the store, though. So in that regard, Wal-Mart can't be blamed.

tony hipchest
11-30-2008, 02:58 AM
Yep.

Today, people would ask for 40% off on tickets to the birth, 50% off and early seats to the crucifixion.

...yet would gladly pay $7 for cups 'o brew, $4 hot dogs, and $6 nachos at a viewing of each. :doh:

tis the season to be a society of gluttony....

touchdownward
11-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Video cameras!

No wonder.
Police are now viewing video tape, but as Gal said, good luck being able to prosecute anyone.

Just a really sad situation, that shows how callose some people can be. The part where people were stepping over the dead body to continue shopping really bothered me.

http://www.embarqmail.com/news/read.php?ps=1011&rip_id=%3CD94OUF8G0%40news.ap.org%3E&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCLM_UNEWS

Preacher
11-30-2008, 11:05 AM
...yet would gladly pay $7 for cups 'o brew, $4 hot dogs, and $6 nachos at a viewing of each. :doh:

tis the season to be a society of gluttony....

Can't argue with you there.

Preacher
11-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Police are now viewing video tape, but as Gal said, good luck being able to prosecute anyone.

Just a really sad situation, that shows how callose some people can be. The part where people were stepping over the dead body to continue shopping really bothered me.

http://www.embarqmail.com/news/read.php?ps=1011&rip_id=%3CD94OUF8G0%40news.ap.org%3E&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCLM_UNEWS

I didn't read that part.

How shameful.

lambertlunaticfan
12-01-2008, 03:04 AM
the whole thing is sad, but youre right,the fact that people were stepping over another fallen fellow human being so they could save money on like a tv really saddens me...what have we become people?:noidea:Police are now viewing video tape, but as Gal said, good luck being able to prosecute anyone.

Preacher
12-01-2008, 04:07 AM
the whole thing is sad, but youre right,the fact that people were stepping over another fallen fellow human being so they could save money on like a tv really saddens me...what have we become people?:noidea:

Well, honestly. when you tell people that they have no future (this is all there is), they are nothing but animals (evolution), there is no absolute truth (antirealism, the core of postmodernism), and replace it all with consumerism, what else do we expect?

Maybe it is time to stop saying "happy holidays".

No, taking Christmas away didn't cause this. But reminding people, whether it be Hannukah, Kwanzaa, Christmas, or Ramadan (which sometimes falls in this time) of something bigger than them may at least get their eyes off of themselves for a while.

I am not even talking religion or theology here, but rather tradition. Other humans that have gone before us and the ways which they enjoyed their lives, passing down those traditions and enjoyments to us.

Well, that is a dream. After all, it IS all about the newest talking robot or wretch on me Elmo.

Texasteel
12-01-2008, 06:48 AM

I've been in a store on black friday. Believe me, you can have both.

stlrtruck
12-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Stores play a part in this and all they need to do is eliminate the morning price busters and keep the things at the same price the entire day. You want to open early - fine, but don't make it that everyone has to camp out or wake up at some ungodly hour of the morning to save $$$ on something that 2 weeks from now, you'll still have plenty of product on the shelves.

My prayers for the employees family and all those injured in the stampede of human cattle.

revefsreleets
12-01-2008, 09:57 AM
I tend to think this is just further evidence that no matter how far we evolve, we will never completely shed that which is atavistic in us...

I saw somewhere else that when Wal-Mart announced they were closing the store due to the death, the customers essentially started rioting.

KeiselPower99
12-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I went to Wal Mart yesterday and fought the crowd just to get a few items for my house. The wife asked me why I hated this time of year and I pointed this out. Peoplethis is to be the happiest time of year not lets kill each other for a free guitarhero when you buy an xbox 360. People are selfish and should really be ashamed for their actions but they aint.

CB1977
12-02-2008, 10:00 AM

That was a Toys "R" Us store in Palm Desert, California. One of the councilmen of the city asked the police if it was a dispute over a toy or whether it was gang-related, but the police were not going to release further details until the victims' relatives were notified. He was quoted as saying, "I think the obvious question everyone has is who takes loaded weapons into a Toys "R" Us?".

Good question!

Hammer67
12-02-2008, 10:02 AM
I went to Wal Mart yesterday and fought the crowd just to get a few items for my house. The wife asked me why I hated this time of year and I pointed this out. Peoplethis is to be the happiest time of year not lets kill each other for a free guitarhero when you buy an xbox 360. People are selfish and should really be ashamed for their actions but they aint.

Absofreakinglutely. This is why I only shop online during the holidays...who wants to fight that craziness?

Over saving a couple $$ at Wal Mart....freaking shame...

:coffee:

X-Terminator
12-02-2008, 10:21 AM
One thing you can be assured of is that there WILL be changes made next year for Black Friday, so that this doesn't happen again. It's just a shame that someone had to die for them to make those changes.

lilyoder6
12-02-2008, 11:18 AM
it is a shame.. it's not even a safe place for anyone rly under 16 anymore.

revefsreleets
12-02-2008, 11:31 AM
People shouldn't be shopping at Wal-Mart anyway. Local mom and pop companies keep the money local, they are better for the Country, they provide better service, and nobody ever gets trampled at a local store

beSteelmyheart
12-04-2008, 09:56 PM
People shouldn't be shopping at Wal-Mart anyway. Local mom and pop companies keep the money local, they are better for the Country, they provide better service, and nobody ever gets trampled at a local store

I couldn't agree more!
But the trouble with that is with the franchising of America-the big box stores have all but taken over & have destroyed many local downtown economies. Many people are stuck with going to these horrible stores, because they don't have much choice elsewhere...Why? Because the big stores have taken over & the locals have been driven out of business.
If you think about it, a huge percentage of our spending money seems to be going into franchised stores & restuarants. We are all being conditioned for uniformity-we wear the same clothes, eat the same food at the same places, etc. All in the name of convenience & low prices, so while we've let ourselves be treated like cattle by the corporate powers that be, we've done it to ourselves.

revefsreleets
12-05-2008, 05:59 PM
It's called "The Homogenization of America", and it's actually becoming a global thing. In ten years, you'll probably have a tough time distinguishing a suburb of Chicago from a suburb of Hamburg or London or Shanghai...

SteelCurtain7
12-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Rev, in theory your idea works...but in practical, real-life application, it's far easier to buy everything you need at one place. The price of gas and time are also huge factors here.

revefsreleets
12-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Rev, in theory your idea works...but in practical, real-life application, it's far easier to buy everything you need at one place. The price of gas and time are also huge factors here.

Easier? Sure. Better? No way.

People don't want to be bothered to do the right thing anymore, so the country deserves the handbasket it's being delivered to Hell in.