PDA

View Full Version : Prayers needed

Mamaduck43
11-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I am a strong believer in the power of the prayers and positive thoughts of my cyber friends from all over the world, and I am here asking for some help from the greatest group of people that I know....

I have been scarce here for a few weeks - - as the reminder on the top of the page is telling me.... It is for a good/bad reason.... My younger daughter, started having back pain while on a business trip to Reno last Month..... Several visits to ER's and then to her doctor here resulted in a midnight ambulance ride from Colorado Springs to Denver, a multitude of tests, an exploratory surgery and a diagnosis of Cancer..... She has a tumor at the base of her spinal cord - where it becomes a bunch of nerve endings that send signals out to the body to make 'things work'...... The tumor is firmly intermeshed with the bundle of nerves, and as soon as she recovers from the surgery, she will be taking a series of radiation treatments... The prognosis is optimistic, and I have given up searching on Google - - my head is full of way too much knowledge......

She is my 'baby' - - even though she will be celebrating her 40th birthday, two days after Christmas.... Her recovery from the surgery has had its ups and downs... We feel that she is in very good hands.... We go back to Denver on Tuesday for a few more tests and a visit to her surgeon... Her radiation treatments will be handled here in the Springs....

Please send some positive thoughts and prayers when you think about it.... She, her hubby, and her two beautiful daughters, plus her mom, would really appreciate it.....

Thank you all so much.....
Pat

Polamalu Princess
11-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Praying Pat!!!! Take care - okay?

HometownGal
11-29-2008, 09:34 AM
I will definitely keep you, your daughter and family in my nightly prayers, Pat. :hug::hug:

Keeping a positive outlook and attitude is vital here, as I'm sure you already know. I am pleased to hear that the prognosis is good and would appreciate you keeping us all updated on how she (and you) are doing.

My shoulders are always here for you, Pat. You've been a great friend to me over the years and I want to be there for you. I've PM'd you my cell number if you feel the need.

As I've learned so many times going through difficult situations myself - if God brings you to it, He will always bring you through it! :hug::hug:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Praying for you mamaduck!!!

stillers4me
11-29-2008, 10:56 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

fansince'76
11-29-2008, 11:57 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Pat. God bless.

steelpride12
11-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Pat, my deepest thoughts and prayers are with your daughter and family. Stay strong, believe and let god to the rest.

nojobny
11-29-2008, 04:32 PM
My prayers and thoughts. Please keep us up to date.

Preacher
11-29-2008, 05:43 PM
I am praying for her as we speak...

remember to keep yourself rested and relaxed. Get sleep and time away from the situation. Don't forget to eat either. She needs a firm, stable shoulder to lean on and those three things go 95% of the way in helping you continue to provide it.

Believe it or not, a number of people forget those three simple steps... especially eating. It is amazing.

God bless, I will pray for you as well.

TroysBadDawg
11-30-2008, 04:16 AM
Our prayers going your way.

Texasteel
11-30-2008, 02:10 PM
It doesn't matter how old they are, they are still our babies aren't they.
You have my prayers.

Mamaduck43
11-30-2008, 04:45 PM
You guys are the greatest.... I appreciate all of the prayers and positive thoughts headed up for Karen.... We are taking one day at a time - - and the road might be a bumpy one, but it is going to be easier because the load is spread out and is being carried by so many good friends...

Thank you all so much....

PAMillerGrrl83
11-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Thoughts and prayers to your daughter and family.

Galax Steeler
12-02-2008, 05:07 AM
Thoughts and prayers.

GBMelBlount
12-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Both you, and your daughter, are in my thoughts and prayers.

HometownGal
12-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Just checking to see how your daughter is Mamaduck. I hope things are looking brighter for her and that she is doing much better! I'm still sending those positive vibes! :hug::hug:

LambertIsGod58
12-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey HD, I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter. My family and I will keep your daughter and your family in our prayers.

Mamaduck43
12-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Karen started the radiation treatments on Tuesday - - this was a partial week due to the Holidays - - thank goodness.... Her first treatment knocked her for a loop - - - since she is getting a huge area treated, I guess her side effects are even stronger than expected.... Her overwhelming nausea as soon as they started on the main tumor location was instantaneous and awful... They put her on stronger meds, and that helped yesterday, but it seems that the treatment is working - - she has been sick off and on all day today with no treatment at all....

We are going to defeat this thing..... Keep the prayers coming - - they are really appreciated....

Mamaduck43
01-01-2009, 06:44 AM
UPDATE:
We aren't sure just what is happening, but Karen has had three treatments this week (she is off today) and is doing surprisingly well... An underlying uneasy feeling in her tummy - - but not enough to really cause problems.... They started a course of steroids to combat the brain swelling that has been causing headaches, and that is the only change, but we are wondering if that is what is making a difference...

She has had a little problem with 'plumbing' control, but that is one of the things that she has been warned about, and she has now taken to setting her alarm to remind her to visit the loo... That seems to be working too....

I think it might have something to do with her sister, Linda's, scheduled visit this week from Green Bay.... They are both really excited about it.... I don't blame them - - I am, too....

I know that this is probably too good to be true and it most likely won't last, but we will take and enjoy the good days while we can....

Keep 'em coming..... And thanks for the prayers that have been doing a good job so far.... Love you guys and gals....

HometownGal
01-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the updates, hon. It sounds like Karen is one tough cookie and is keeping up the good fight! :thumbsup::drink: You are a wonderful Mom and I know your strength and positive attitude is helping her to deal with everything! :hug::hug:

Hope you enjoy the time with both daughters and please continue to keep us updated. The prayers will keep on coming! :hug:

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Prayers from Hollidaysburg. Sounds like your daughter is a tough cookie as HTG said.

Galax Steeler
01-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Hang in there thoughts and prayers

Polamalu Princess
01-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Still praying...please keep us posted and may God bless you and keep you in His loving care.

Mamaduck43
01-04-2009, 10:03 PM
UPDATE:
Karen's week had some ups and downs... For the most part, I think that we were expecting more severe side effects, and we are thankful that the discomfort and ill feelings aren't debilitating so far... The nausea has been under control - - they added steroids to her treatments to keep the brain swelling down somewhat - - we determined that a lot of the headaches caused by the swelling were making the nausea worse... She says that she gets a closing up feeling in her throat a lot of the time, but she hasn't gone into the full-blown nausea of the first week....

They did a repositioning on Friday so that they can attack "Basil and the Blips" from a different angle... We decided that Basil got po'd at this and Karen has had random severe and fleeting back and leg pains as a result....

My older daughter will be in from Green Bay this week - - and she is happy to be here for the playoff game on Sunday - - we have a party set up for our local group of avid Steelers fans - - can't wait for that.... I have to give my granddaughter her birthday present a couple of weeks early - - a brand new Polamalu jersey!!!!! She will love it!!!!

Karen had planned to shave her head on New Year's day, but outside of some scalp uneasiness, she hasn't been bothered by handfuls of hair yet - - they say that hits after 10 treatments - - this week will cross that.... They say that you might as well shave since the hair loss is a very visible and scary result of the treatment.... And I think that if Linda and I go and hold her hand, it might help.....

Keep 'em coming - - I know that all of the prayers and positive thoughts do help.....

Pat

Polamalu Princess
01-04-2009, 10:16 PM
UPDATE:
Karen's week had some ups and downs... For the most part, I think that we were expecting more severe side effects, and we are thankful that the discomfort and ill feelings aren't debilitating so far... The nausea has been under control - - they added steroids to her treatments to keep the brain swelling down somewhat - - we determined that a lot of the headaches caused by the swelling were making the nausea worse... She says that she gets a closing up feeling in her throat a lot of the time, but she hasn't gone into the full-blown nausea of the first week....

They did a repositioning on Friday so that they can attack "Basil and the Blips" from a different angle... We decided that Basil got po'd at this and Karen has had random severe and fleeting back and leg pains as a result....

My older daughter will be in from Green Bay this week - - and she is happy to be here for the playoff game on Sunday - - we have a party set up for our local group of avid Steelers fans - - can't wait for that.... I have to give my granddaughter her birthday present a couple of weeks early - - a brand new Polamalu jersey!!!!! She will love it!!!!

Karen had planned to shave her head on New Year's day, but outside of some scalp uneasiness, she hasn't been bothered by handfuls of hair yet - - they say that hits after 10 treatments - - this week will cross that.... They say that you might as well shave since the hair loss is a very visible and scary result of the treatment.... And I think that if Linda and I go and hold her hand, it might help.....

Keep 'em coming - - I know that all of the prayers and positive thoughts do help.....

Pat
Pat - my prayers and my family are with you on this journey. It will be in God's hands and all will be for the glory of God. Hang tight with your faith - okay?

Godfather
01-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Prayers sent.

Mamaduck43
01-07-2009, 10:05 PM
UPDATE: 1/7

Well tonight is the shaving party - - - today was a horrendous day - - she was in bad pain from some 'plumbing' problems and on top of that, after her shower this morning, she had noticeable hair loss - - not to the handful stage but enough that she decided not to wait until tomorrow when her sister flies in from Green Bay...... Her buddies from work are coming over - - armed with clippers and cameras and the deed will be done.... At least one of her co-workers will join her wonderful baldness..... I am tempted - - I have a super high forehead, and it would be neat to not have to worry about bangs for a while..... We shall see....

I do think that this is the lowest day she has had so far.... I was headed over to her house and she told me that she was going to curl up and nap - - so I stayed home and curled up and cried a lot..... This is most definitely the hardest thing I have ever encountered... The one saving grace is that if she is feeling so crummy, the tumor, "Basil" has got to be suffering, too.......

Keep 'em coming.....

stlrtruck
01-07-2009, 10:24 PM
She will continue to be in our prayers

Polamalu Princess
01-07-2009, 10:28 PM
UPDATE: 1/7

Well tonight is the shaving party - - - today was a horrendous day - - she was in bad pain from some 'plumbing' problems and on top of that, after her shower this morning, she had noticeable hair loss - - not to the handful stage but enough that she decided not to wait until tomorrow when her sister flies in from Green Bay...... Her buddies from work are coming over - - armed with clippers and cameras and the deed will be done.... At least one of her co-workers will join her wonderful baldness..... I am tempted - - I have a super high forehead, and it would be neat to not have to worry about bangs for a while..... We shall see....

I do think that this is the lowest day she has had so far.... I was headed over to her house and she told me that she was going to curl up and nap - - so I stayed home and curled up and cried a lot..... This is most definitely the hardest thing I have ever encountered... The one saving grace is that if she is feeling so crummy, the tumor, "Basil" has got to be suffering, too.......

Keep 'em coming.....
Still praying - we are here on SF and care and love so very much.:hug:

Mamaduck43
01-08-2009, 11:35 PM
I am so proud of my baby girl - - - she had the gang over for a shaving party last night and she drew so much strength from her wonderful circle of friends... Everybody joined in in some way - - with token locks by some folks to a full blown mohawk by one of her co-workers... Karen ended up with a mohawk for a day, but today we went to a salon and while I got my hair cut, she went all the way down to a 1.5 comb length..... She looks absolutely beautiful - - she never met a camera that didn't like her.....

Yesterday's 'down' feeling came from the reality that her hair was falling out and that this is really happening.... Her friends helped her over that hump and her sister's arrival in about an hour will be a big help, as well..... We are very excited......

She actually has an appetite, and that is amazing the doctors.... She has not had any bad taste sensations, so that is a good thing..... Tomorrow, we will go to L&L Hawaiian Barbecue and get some 'local' style food.... 20+ years of Hawaii is hard to get out of your system......

Keep 'em coming, my friends - - I just want you to know that this prayer thing works both ways, too - - I thank God every day for the wonderful folks in Cyberspace who take the time to share their love and caring with virtual strangers... You guys are great.... :hug:

fansince'76
01-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the update, Pat! Continuing to pray for you, Karen and the rest of your family. God bless!

Preacher
01-08-2009, 11:43 PM
She has my prayers still.

Please keep us updated.

Mamaduck43
01-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Quick Update - - 1/27/09

We are doing a Happy Dance!!!!! She found out today that she has only two more radiation treatments - - they amped up the power this past week, and refocused the target areas.... She thought that she had to go until 2/4......

We know that there are still some bumps in the road, but we feel like it is a downhill run now...... They told her that next week would probably be BAD, but then she should start getting her strength back.... She has done an amazing job of holding tough all the way through this..... The past couple of weeks, though, she became very reclusive - - but her voice and attitude this morning on the phone were absolutely amazing......

Please continue your prayers and positive thoughts.... They are working - - we do have faith...... And be assured, that our prayers and thoughts are heading in your directions, too.....

Pat

Polamalu Princess
01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Thank God - we are still praying. You take care and God Bless!