PDA

View Full Version : Plax SHOT

Sith Lord
11-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Holy shit man....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3733021

Sith Lord
11-29-2008, 10:30 AM
They are saying he shot himself in the leg accidentally.

SteelCityMan786
11-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Hopefully he at least recovers greatly.

PisnNapalm
11-29-2008, 10:43 AM
There are no accidental gunshots.... only intentional or negligent.

Hmmm... I wonder how this will play out in the judicial system. It's not easy to get a gun permit in NY. I'd be curious to know what state he was in when this happened.

missedgehead
11-29-2008, 10:59 AM
I pray for his recovery. As a Giants fan, I am disappointed that this happened as we are trying to repeat but I hope that this won't be an obstacle the team can't overcome.

stillers4me
11-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Dumbass.

Ben got himself a bodyguard instead of carrying a weapon himself. I wonder if he had his foot in his mouth at the time.

GutterflowerSteel
11-29-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm glad it wasn't life threatening, and that he'll be okay ... very fortunate. But yeah ... dumbass, wtf are you doing? He was already out with a hamstring anyway, but still ... it doesn't seem likely that he could be back for the season. The GMen can win without him though.

Reminds me of the time Peezy got shot in Denver, although that wasn't self inflicted.

Edman
11-29-2008, 11:22 AM
First off, why was he carrying a gun in the first place? Second, why did he pull it out? Well, Plax wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. Glad he's okay, but geez!

Sith Lord
11-29-2008, 11:22 AM
What club did it happen at?

steelpride12
11-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Why can't he stay out of trouble. Accidentally?! Either he shot himself for real or he got shot. First off why did he have a gun on him in the first place at a night club. TROUBLE.

The Patriot
11-29-2008, 11:55 AM
KARMA!!!!

:bonk:

fordfan485
11-29-2008, 12:37 PM
You know with all the missed meetings this year and all the other dumb shit he has done I wonder if Plax has a drug problem.

PisnNapalm
11-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Why can't he stay out of trouble. Accidentally?! Either he shot himself for real or he got shot. First off why did he have a gun on him in the first place at a night club. TROUBLE.

Alot of pro athletes carry guns if they can. They are worth millions of dollars and are often targeted for robberies. I can understand why they would want to carry.

The Patriot
11-29-2008, 01:08 PM
:chuckle: I bet Goodell will fine him

Makaveli
11-29-2008, 01:15 PM
KARMA!!!!

:bonk:

In what sense ? I wasn't aware the Plex has ever pulled a trigger on anyone in his life ?,....

BubbyBrister
11-29-2008, 01:59 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/11/29/2008-11-29_giants_receiver_plaxico_burress_accident.html

Talented but troubled Giants wideout Plaxico Burress, adding to his litany of off-field woes, accidentally shot himself in the right thigh, a source and the team said Saturday.

Burress, 31, was released from a Manhattan hospital around 2 p.m. Saturday, the team said in a statement. The Giants provided no details about the incident, although a source said it was self-inflicted.

"We are aware of the fact that Plaxico was involved in an apparent accidental shooting last night," the Giants said. "We have been in contact with Plaxico since shortly after the incident."

The Giants confirmed Burress was wounded in his right thigh, but declined to say anything more because of possible legal implications.

"This incident could become a matter for law enforcement officials," the Giants acknowledged. It was unclear if Burress was licensed to carry a weapon, or whether the gun was registered.

A Yahoo.com report said Burress suffered only a graze wound, and was expected to return to the field this season.

The gun apparently discharged while Burress was inside the Latin Quarter, a midtown nightclub on Lexington Ave., ESPN.com reported. The club's Web site advertises Friday as Latin night, with "sportsmen galore" and "man hands pulling lady legs around their waists."

Police were investigating the incident along with NFL officials. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the News it was too soon to determine if the shooting was a violation of the league's personal conduct policy.

"That is premature," Aiello said. "We are working with the Giants to determine the facts."

Super Bowl hero Burress, who caught the game-winning pass from Eli Manning, was already expected to miss Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins with a hamstring injury.

The Giants were due on a Saturday afternoon flight to Washington. The team had no comment on the report.

Burress has become a season-long distraction for the Super Bowl champions, creating endless controversy with his bad behavior.

Burress's erratic antics already cost him $204,000 in fines this year. He was suspended for one game after going AWOL, and benched for the first quarter of another game after skipping medical treatment.

Among his fines was a $45,000 penalty imposed by the NFL for verbally abusing an official.

Over his four seasons in New York, Burress was fined more than 30 times by the Giants. He was also benched for a 2005 game in San Diego after showing up late for team meetings.

The season's litany of disasters came after Burress reached the pinnacle of his career. He caught the winning TD in the Giants' Super Bowl victory, and signed a five-year, $35 million contract in September.

Despite his woes, Burress was still the Giants' second-leading receiver this year with 35 catches and four TDs.

missedgehead
11-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Well, maybe for my G Men, lightening will strike twice. Got rid of one pain in the ass: Shockey.....won Super Bowl...maybe we will just not use this pain in the ass...... :)

AKSteeler
11-29-2008, 02:30 PM
First off, why was he carrying a gun in the first place?
I assume because it is his constitutional right.

Second, why did he pull it out? If it wasn't in self defense, then there was no reason, and you are right...he is an idiot!! :doh:

fordfan485
11-29-2008, 02:47 PM
First time all season he was able to get around a safety...

nojobny
11-29-2008, 03:17 PM
First time all season he was able to get around a safety...

LOL

Preacher
11-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I assume because it is his constitutional right.

If it wasn't in self defense, then there was no reason, and you are right...he is an idiot!! :doh:

Dang.

Welcome back.

Yeah... he is an idiot. If he is carrying for protection, it should be in a FAGbag and the safety on. If he is carrying to look like a tough, well. Congratulation... he now looks like idiot.

steel striker
11-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Was Plax hanging out with pacman? lol Oh I'm sorry Adam Jones. All kidding aside I hope Plax is okay.

LambertIsGod58
11-29-2008, 04:11 PM
There are no accidental gunshots.... only intentional or negligent.

Hmmm... I wonder how this will play out in the judicial system. It's not easy to get a gun permit in NY. I'd be curious to know what state he was in when this happened.

I couldn't agree more. It's called trigger discipline. Never have your finger on the trigger unless you are willing to destroy what it's pointing at. I do armed security at a nuclear power plant and that's drilled in our heads all the time.

LambertIsGod58
11-29-2008, 04:14 PM
I hear alot of "dumb" comments made about Plax on this one. And I can't say that I disagree. But how about Ben's stunt with no helmet? Just as dumb IMO....

fansince'76
11-29-2008, 04:17 PM
But how about Ben's stunt with no helmet? Just as dumb IMO....

Yeah, it was only 2˝ years ago now and has absolutely zero relevance to this thread. :coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I hear alot of "dumb" comments made about Plax on this one. And I can't say that I disagree. But how about Ben's stunt with no helmet? Just as dumb IMO....

I used to race bicycles back 20 years ago and there were no helmets, just the padded "hairnets" like in the movie Breaking Away. IMO, shooting yourself in the leg with a gun is more dumb than a person in control riding without a helmet.

IMO, only military, cops and crooks need guns. Multi million dollar earning athletes need common sense and if they feel protection is needed............a qualified bodyguard makes sense.

The Patriot
11-29-2008, 04:58 PM
:blah:
200 people dead in India and we should be crying for Plax?

Preacher
11-29-2008, 05:01 PM
:blah:
200 people dead in India and we should be crying for Plax?

Well, outside of the hatred you must feel for him after the last SB :chuckle:

I have to agree completely. Plax is an idiot. I don't think anyone here is crying for him.

The Duke
11-29-2008, 05:19 PM
I have absolutely no problem in him having a gun. That's his right

He's no gangsta like some have said

Still, he is an idiot

cubanstogie
11-29-2008, 05:25 PM
couldn't have happen to a better guy. Well maybe Pacman.

LambertIsGod58
11-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah, it was only 2˝ years ago now and has absolutely zero relevance to this thread. :coffee:

ok...so I guess i won't see you reference anything from over 2.5 years ago, right? And surely it does have relevance. Everyone's quick to call Plax dumb....but are hypocritical when it comes to Ben. You're no different.

fansince'76
11-29-2008, 05:28 PM
ok...so I guess i won't see you reference anything from over 2.5 years ago, right? And surely it does have relevance. Everyone's quick to call Plax dumb....but are hypocritical when it comes to Ben. You're no different.

No, it's not relevant. It's only relevant to you because you saw it as another opportunity to take as shot at Ben. Nobody gave Ben a "pass" in this thread. I also didn't say squat in this thread until you shot off with another potshot at Ben. Give it a rest already, it's getting old. :coffee:

cubanstogie
11-29-2008, 05:29 PM

no doubt Ben was an idiot, especially after Winslow had just done the same. They all think they are invincible until they grow up. Few of the pro athletes are role models, they are entertainers only IMO. With that said we all make mistakes, some don't learn by them though.

LambertIsGod58
11-29-2008, 05:34 PM
I can say whatever I want about Ben...or does freedom of speech not apply unless it's in conjunction with your thoughts?

fansince'76
11-29-2008, 05:38 PM
I can say whatever I want about Ben...or does freedom of speech not apply unless it's in conjunction with your thoughts?

Sure, and Favre was an idiot for getting hooked on painkillers 12 years ago, since any NFL player's stupidity at any time is pretty much fair game and "relevant" to a thread about Plaxico Burress accidentally shooting himself. :coffee:

LambertIsGod58
11-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Sure, and Favre was an idiot for getting hooked on painkillers 12 years ago, since any NFL player's stupidity at any time is pretty much fair game. :coffee:

LOL...yeah. To keep coming back and playing every week. Is that what Ben had in mind? When he left out the helmet? Somehow I don't think so. It's pretty funny that Ben's being outplayed by a 40yr-old quarterback. On a new team this year no less. LMAO!!!! Don't bother going back 2.5 years for any material you may wanna use. We've already crossed that bridge.

Favre: 2461 yds
Ben: 2233 yds

Favre: 20 TD's
Ben: 11 TD's

Favre: 13 INT's
Ben: 11 INT's

Favre: 94 rating
Ben: 80 rating

Favre: 21 sacks
Ben: 32 sacks

Favre: 70% completions
Ben: 70% completions

Favre: 2 lost fumbles
Ben: 3 lost fumbles

X-Terminator
11-29-2008, 05:49 PM

How the HELL is anyone hypocritical in this case??? I believe the general sentiment when Ben's accident happened what that he was dumb and shouldn't have rode without one. Or was your head in the sand back then???

Fansince is right. This was nothing more than another chance for you to take a shot at Ben when he and his accident had absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

LambertIsGod58
11-29-2008, 05:53 PM
How the HELL is anyone hypocritical in this case??? I believe the general sentiment when Ben's accident happened what that he was dumb and shouldn't have rode without one. Or was your head in the sand back then???

Fansince is right. This was nothing more than another chance for you to take a shot at Ben when he and his accident had absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

So what if it was? Problem is once again, you can't take any dings on Ben.

fansince'76
11-29-2008, 05:53 PM
LOL...yeah. To keep coming back and playing every week. Is that what Ben had in mind? When he left out the helmet? Somehow I don't think so. It's pretty funny that Ben's being outplayed by a 40yr-old quarterback. On a new team this year no less. LMAO!!!! Don't bother going back 2.5 years for any material you may wanna use. We've already crossed that bridge.

Favre: 2461 yds
Ben: 2233 yds

Favre: 20 TD's
Ben: 11 TD's

Favre: 13 INT's
Ben: 11 INT's

Favre: 94 rating
Ben: 80 rating

Favre: 21 sacks
Ben: 32 sacks

Favre: 70% completions
Ben: 70% completions

Favre: 2 lost fumbles
Ben: 3 lost fumbles

Yep, excusing the object of your man-crush's behavior, but I'm the "hypocrite." 'Nuff said.

LambertIsGod58
11-29-2008, 05:56 PM
You are one obtuse individual. You just can't see when you're wrong. And BTW, you didn't address the fact that Ben's being outplayed!!!! LMFAO!!!!

X-Terminator
11-29-2008, 05:58 PM
So what if it was? Problem is once again, you can't take any dings on Ben.

Yeah, when it's IN AN UNRELATED THREAD. I can handle "dings" on Ben just fine if it's in a thread about him. YOUR problem is that YOU can't handle it whenever someone refutes your almighty opinion, so now you've reduced yourself to trolling other threads trying to get a rise out of people. Real mature.

fansince'76
11-29-2008, 06:00 PM
You are one obtuse individual. You just can't see when you're wrong. And BTW, you didn't address the fact that Ben's being outplayed!!!! LMFAO!!!!

No, you have a man-crush on Brett Favre that rivals John Madden's, and because of it, you excused his pill-popping behavior, exhibiting the same sort of hypocrisy you accuse me of. You, sir, are the only individual that is "obtuse" here. "Obtuse" is bringing up 2+ year-old accidents involving Ben Roethlisberger in a thread about Plaxico Burress accidentally shooting himself. What a joke.

MACH1
11-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Ya gotta be smarter than the gun. That doesn't apply in this case. Only a DUMBASS shoots their self accidentally.

LambertIsGod58
11-29-2008, 06:07 PM
No, you have a man-crush on Brett Favre that rivals John Madden's, and because of it, you excused his pill-popping behavior, exhibiting the same sort of hypocrisy you accuse me of. You, sir, are the only individual that is "obtuse" here. "Obtuse" is bringing up 2+ year-old accidents involving Ben Roethlisberger in a thread about Plaxico Burress accidentally shooting himself. What a joke.

I guess my man-crush on Favre rivals that of yours on Ben. And where did I excuse his addiction? I re-read my posts and I don't see it anywhere? I merely said WHY he took them. Did Ben help his team by being laid up in a hospital bed because he wanted to look cool for the ladies? No. Did Favre help his team....Yeah, he was there every Sunday. Was Ben? Once again the answer is no. And BTW, you left out that this thread had insults made toward Plaxico and his intelligence. You and other people should not be judging him, at least outwardly, when people like Ben have a history of making a decision such tas that of not wearing a helmet.

STEELtownHAVOX
11-29-2008, 06:08 PM
I don't know if any of you have seen the movie '8-Mile", but Plax pulled a Cheddar Bob. LOL, hope he's recovers soon though.

fansince'76
11-29-2008, 06:11 PM
And where did I excuse his addiction? I re-read my posts and I don't see it anywhere?

By the same token, where have I said that Ben gets a pass for not wearing a helmet? And if you bother to read the thread, you'll notice I didn't say a word about Burress or his intelligence. I didn't say anything in this thread until you used it as another excuse to take a swipe at Ben over the accident.

LambertIsGod58
11-29-2008, 06:13 PM
By the same token, where have I said that Ben gets a pass for not wearing a helmet? And if you bother to read the thread, you'll notice I didn't say a word about Burress or his intelligence. I didn't say anything in this thread until you used it as another excuse to take a swipe at Ben over the accident.

For once we agree....I'd agree with this entire post. However, I'd point out that I didn't respond to YOUR post calling Plax stupid, dumb or dumbass. Other people posted it.

NYC SteelersFan
11-29-2008, 06:51 PM

Man-crush is not the word for LambertIsGod58, it's actually getting pretty creepy and gross. "Oh but he's such a cute good ole' boy who plays the game like a little boy with such passion". Why don't you go alternate with ESPN employees in sucking off Favre and maybe he'll come play for us next season. And when he gets his inconsistent, pass-happy arm torn out of the socket playing behind the Pittsburgh O-line against teams on Pittsburgh's schedule instead of the Jet's cake walk schedule, then post your lovers stats for everyone.

NYC SteelersFan
11-29-2008, 06:57 PM
And as for Burress? #$%^ him! He wouldn't pray or care for anyone of you or your family members so none of you should waste a breath or prayer for that punk. Poor guy got killed at wal-mart opening the doors for a bunch of savages looking to save a few bucks. He was just working a part-time job for the hollidays, that's someone to feel for. If Burress ended up getting his leg amputated, I still wouldn't feel bad or even care.

beSteelmyheart
11-29-2008, 07:12 PM
What a dumbass.
"Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

Steelman16
11-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Whadda loser. You carry a gun to protect yourself, not almost kill yourself. :coffee:

Grow up already Plax.

BrandonCarr39
11-29-2008, 08:08 PM
This will actually help the Giants.

When Plax missed a couple of games this year, Eli started spreading the ball around more, making his reads more quickly.

No-not saying that he's been having a bad year with him, but there's been times where Eli would try to force-feed it to him when he had other Giants receivers.

Plus the Giants have quality depth in their 53 man roster.

Preacher
11-29-2008, 08:46 PM
For once we agree....I'd agree with this entire post. However, I'd point out that I didn't respond to YOUR post calling Plax stupid, dumb or dumbass. Other people posted it.

I said none of those.

I called him an IDIOT.

There IS a difference between Plax and Ben here. Plax was hurt by an instrument doing what it is PRIMARILY used for. As a result, he didn't use the instrument PROPERLY and caused damage.

Ben was using the instrument of his accident PROPERLY. It was someone else's fault by not obeying the laws. It was a secondary issue that caused Ben to be in the situation he was in.

In other words, It would be like Plax wrecking a motorcycle because he DIDNT KNOW HOW TO RIDE ONE. Or Ben hurting himself because a round breached and Ben didn't know it, firing a second round.

One is a first order mistake, the other a second order mistake.

Both are, ultimately, the fault of the person. But they are not equivelent.

BTW, are you sure you aren't just mad at Ben because he supposedly said something to your nephew... :chuckle:

St33lersguy
11-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Plex=total dumbass. Who said he accidentaly shot himself? Whoever it is (probably Plex) should realize thatyou don't shoot yourself accidentaly or accidentally hold a loaded rifle and accidentally pull the trigger while you accidentaly pointed the gun in your direction. Giants don't need him anyway they have 25 other guys with talent

stillers4me
11-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Plaxico ....... looking at 3.5 years in prison for having an illegally concealed weapon. And shoots self in leg.

Ben...... rode motorcycle without helmet (not against the law) when old lady in New Yorker tuned in front of him.

Plax dumbness>>Ben dumbness.

NYC SteelersFan
11-29-2008, 10:04 PM
This will actually help the Giants.

When Plax missed a couple of games this year, Eli started spreading the ball around more, making his reads more quickly.

No-not saying that he's been having a bad year with him, but there's been times where Eli would try to force-feed it to him when he had other Giants receivers.

Plus the Giants have quality depth in their 53 man roster.

Both times the Giants opponents defenses were not 100% sure that plax wasn't playing and still had to practice as if he was. The teams beat without Burress was Arizona and Seattle which have the 18th and 31st passing defense in the league and 11th and 29th total defense in the league. Eli has a 55.8% pass completion. If it were not for Burress making circus catches that only he or Moss could make half the time, Eli would be in danger of being below 50% for his career. Without Burress, Eli is a dead man.

fordfan485
11-29-2008, 10:19 PM
found this on a redskins forum thought it was pretty funny, should get a good laugh if your a CSI fan

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o177/saleen-311/Plaxicogotshot_CSIMiami-1.jpg

RoethlisBURGHer
11-29-2008, 10:39 PM
First, if his hamsting is too bad to play in this week's football game...then shouldn't it be too bad to be dancing at a club.

He has every right to pack heat. However guns are not normally allowed in night clubs, rather you have your lisence to conceal a gun or not. Maybe it's not so in New York, but I know it is in Ohio.

What was the reason the gun was no longer concealed? Was he feeling threatened by someone? Was he trying to show off his gun to look like a tough guy?

I would assume he felt threatened since the saftey was off, otherwise the gun would have never fired. So why did he shoot himself in the thigh instead of shooting what/who ever was threatening him?

Plax is going to catch a lot of heat for this. From the judicial system and from the NFL.

T&B fan
11-29-2008, 10:40 PM
First off, why was he carrying a gun in the first place? Second, why did he pull it out? Well, Plax wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. Glad he's okay, but geez!

Ya gotta be smarter than the gun. That doesn't apply in this case. Only a DUMBASS shoots their self accidentally.

you too got it right ,

you own a gun know how to use it safely . tack a class or two . last time I drove truck in NYC it was a 1 yr jail term for haveing a unregisterd gun in the city . then you add the unlawfull disscharge of that gun in city limits . he better hope he has been doing some good will in the city to help get him off .

fordfan485
11-29-2008, 10:55 PM
BURRESS COULD BE FACING 3.5 YEARS IN JAIL
Posted by Mike Florio on November 29, 2008, 5:55 p.m.
As it turns out, the accidental self-shooting of Giants receiver Plaxico Burress occurred in a Manhattan night club on Friday night. Per ESPN’s Jeremy Schaap, the incident occurred at the Latin Quarter, a 15,000-square foot restaurant and club located in a Radisson Hotel.

ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports that the bullet went through skin and muscle tissue in the right thigh. No arteries were struck, and no bones were broken.

The Giants have confirmed generally that Burress suffered a bullet wound to his right thigh. However, the team’s statement did not address the cause of the shooting.

“We are aware of the fact that Plaxico was involved in an apparent accidental shooting last night. We have been in contact with Plaxico since shortly after the incident,” the statement said. “Obviously, our primary concern is for Plaxico’s health and well-being, and given the circumstances, we are relieved to say he was released from a New York City hospital at approximately 2 p.m. today.

Per the ESPN report, police said that Burress could face criminal charges if he was not licensed to carry a concealed weapon in New York.

And that’s where things get problematic for Burress. (Apart from, you know, the bullet in the thigh.)

If, as we’ve heard it, the accidental bullet came from a gun that Burress was carrying and if Burress was not in legal possession of the loaded weapon at the time of the incident, he could be facing a mandatory minimum jail sentence of 3.5 years.

In 2006, New York beefed up its laws regarding illegal gun possession. The following year, New York City officials embarked on a campaign aimed at communicating to all citizens the serious consequences of illegal gun possession.

“GUNS = PRISON” was the message.

“Last year, our Administration succeeded in pushing through a law that gives New York the toughest penalty in the country for carrying an illegal loaded handgun,” New York mayor Michael Bloomberg said in July 2007. “Now, if you are convicted, you will serve a minimum of 3-1/2 years behind bars — no exceptions.”

Though it’s entirely possible that Burress dotted every “i” and crossed every “t” required to ensure that he would have the ability to legally take a loaded gun into a public club, he doesn’t have a reputation for following rules, either when imposed by society or by his employer. The Giants and the NFL have fined him multiple times, and he has had problems with unpaid parking tickets and delinquent taxes in the past.

It’ll be very interesting to see how this one plays out.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-30-2008, 12:16 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/11292008/sports/giants/plaxico_burress_accidentally_shot_himsel_141427.ht m

PLAXICO BURRESS ACCIDENTALLY SHOOTS SELF IN LEG
FUMBLING WITH A GUN WHILE TRYING TO GET INTO CLUB WITH ANTONIO PIERCE
Posted: 12:19 pm
November 29, 2008

Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress Plaxico Burress caught a bullet in his leg while fumbling with a gun in the vestibule of a Manhattan nightclub early today, sources said.

The trouble-plagued NFL star blasted himself through his right thigh just after midnight near the VIP entrance to the LQ nightclub on Lexington Avenue and had to be hospitalized, sources said.

Burress, 31, was allegedly inside the hot spot with teammate Antonio Pierce when they were confronted by security guards looking for weapons, sources said.

The Super Bowl hero, who nabbed the game-winning catch in the Giants' monumental win over the Patriots in February, admitted to the guards that he was packing heat, sources said.

After moving to a secluded area with a guard, he allegedly took the gun out and started to unload the bullets while drinking a glass of wine.

But the sure-handed wideout began to bobble the firearm, accidentally firing a shot that ripped through his leg but missed the bone.

A source said a guard came over in the aftermath, emptied the gun's chamber and then gave it back to Burress.

Security personnel tried to call an ambulance, but the grid great stopped them.

He was driven to Cornell Medical Center by a friend, who left immediately after dropping him off at around 2 a.m. It's not clear where Burress was in the time between the shooting and arriving at the hospital.

Burress, who was already scratched from today's game against the Redskins because of an injury, was treated and released at 2 p.m. today.

The club did not make a report of the incident, but NYPD detectives were investigating today.

It was not clear what kind of pistol Burress shot himself with or where he got it. He has an expired license to carry a gun in Florida, which would not have allowed him to have one in New York.

The NYPD, along with local police, arrived at Burress' sprawling Totowa, NJ, home at around 4:30 p.m. today.

But wife Tiffany responded through the intercom that "we've been through a lot," and said "you can't talk to my husband."

She then told the officers she needed to get dressed and asked them to wait. After more than 30 minutes, the cops left. They returned shortly before 8 p.m. but there was no answer .

Police sources said a team representative volunteered to take detectives to the weapon, which is believed to be in New Jersey.

Sources said Pierce was the person last seen with the weapon and police were seen arriving at his house tonight.

Team brass were scrambling for answers.

"Obviously, our primary concern is for Plaxico's health and well-being and, given the circumstances, we are relieved to say he was released from a New York City hospital," team officials said in a statement.

Burress, who signed a $35 million contract with the team in September, has been a big magnet for trouble this season.

He was suspended one game for failing to show up for practice and was also fined $45,000 for verbally abusing an official.

More seriously, cops were twice called to his home on reports of domestic disturbances.

fansince'76
11-30-2008, 12:47 AM
“Last year, our Administration succeeded in pushing through a law that gives New York the toughest penalty in the country for carrying an illegal loaded handgun,” New York mayor Michael Bloomberg said in July 2007. “Now, if you are convicted, you will serve a minimum of 3-1/2 years behind bars — no exceptions.”

Yeah, right. No exceptions beside celebs who can afford the best Harvard-educated lawyers money can buy, anyway. :coffee:

BrandonCarr39
11-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Both times the Giants opponents defenses were not 100% sure that plax wasn't playing and still had to practice as if he was. The teams beat without Burress was Arizona and Seattle which have the 18th and 31st passing defense in the league and 11th and 29th total defense in the league. Eli has a 55.8% pass completion. If it were not for Burress making circus catches that only he or Moss could make half the time, Eli would be in danger of being below 50% for his career. Without Burress, Eli is a dead man.

We also have this same conversation almost every week about our own troubled WR(Terrell Owens) on our board.

Yes-while he hasn't been the cancerous personality here in Dallas like he was in SF/Philly, to say he's "matured" is a HUGE stretch.

Anyhow-all the homers and haters are always argueing back and forth how whether or not he's a pain in the ***, a disruptive force, a selfish teammate, quits on routes, gives up on blocks, pouts if a ball doesn't get thrown his way(or even looks like it), and pretty much every little detail you can poke holes through.

Ultimately-just like with Burress in NY, Owens is the same way here in Dallas-you have to outweigh the good against the bad. There's no question that TO is the engine that makes our O's engine run(although to some extent, you can make the same case for Jason Witten). If he goes down, then Witten gets double teamed, and we don't have a receiver where opposing defenses can respect in terms of stretching the field.(Roy Williams11 is really a possession receiver)

Pt being that we end up pointing out ALL of the players' faults, but it's not until they're gone when we realize how valuable to the team they really are.

BrandonCarr39
11-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Just curious-when you guys had Burress, was he a disruptive force to the team like this?

Were there incidents where he cussed out Cowher, Wisenhunt, or any of the other Steelers coaches?

NYC SteelersFan
11-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Just curious-when you guys had Burress, was he a disruptive force to the team like this?

Were there incidents where he cussed out Cowher, Wisenhunt, or any of the other Steelers coaches?

I remember seeing his first catch ever or first game at least (don't remember exactly which one), after the catch for about 10 yards or so, he spiked the ball and got a penalty and then got a dose of Cowher chin. I honestly don't remember him being too much of a hassel after that. No way near in comparison to what he is now.

NYC SteelersFan
11-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Also, in all honestly Burress is a lot more valuable to Eli than Owens is to Romo. Although he has improved, he still makes horrific passes that only Burress or Moss could catch. Like i said, without Burress, Eli would be hovering just around 50% pass completion.

tony hipchest
11-30-2008, 01:02 AM

Were there incidents where he cussed out Cowher, Wisenhunt, or any of the other Steelers coaches?he spiked a live ball as a rookie, played poorly with a broken hand as a rookie, and skipped a mini camp scheduled on mothers day, within a year after his mother had died.

after that, he was pretty much considered a turd and didnt really have much of a chance with the fans. :noidea:

being a #8 pick, i think many were just hoping for urlacher or pennington rather than a "non productive" wr.

fansince'76
11-30-2008, 01:18 AM

I personally never had anything against him until his spoiled brat routine in the locker room after the '04 AFCCG loss and then this little gem the following summer, and he was already gone by then:

Burress off base

Ward said Plaxico Burress was off the mark when his former teammate accused the Steelers of putting him in "shackles" and their fans of racism.

Burress told WTAE-TV's Jon Burton recently that, with the Steelers, "I felt my opportunities were kind of limited, so to speak, and at times, I kind of felt myself like playing in shackles. They weren't going to change, and I wasn't going to change."

Burress, who signed as a free agent with the New York Giants after five years with the Steelers, told Burton that "I was never really liked in that city. I mean, I don't think I was liked as a person. I was kind of seen as a black kid, young African-American, cornrows, drives fancy cars, wears diamond earrings, things like that. They just kind of based their perception off of what I drove and what I did and things like that. All those things were never a part of any other player on that team but me."

Ward, who wears matching 2-carat diamond earrings himself, said the only prejudice Steelers fans show is against players who do not produce.

"As far as the city and him with cornrows and stuff, they love everybody. You go out there and perform, regardless of race, color, ethnic, how you wear your hair, they don't care. The fans here know football. They know the guys who produce and give it all they got and they appreciate it. To sit there and say the city had it out against him, I don't really go along with that. I saw a lot of No. 80 jerseys in the stands."

Burress, in the interview with Burton from Giants training camp in Albany, N.Y., said fans got down on him after he dropped a pass in the end zone in the AFC championship game in January and they never let him forget it.

"It kind of seemed like everything was thrown on my back off of one play that I didn't make," Burress said, "and I took that kind of personal, from the people in that city and some of the things that were said about me."

It's different with the Giants, he said.

"I fit New York more than what I fit Pittsburgh. Nobody's worrying about my big truck or my Rolls-Royce or what I have on. That makes me feel good. People just accept me how I am instead of looking at me and judging me."

Burress also told Burton that the team needs to sign Ward to the long-term contract extension he's seeking.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05242/562302.stm

"Everything thrown on his back because of one play he didn't make?" Funny, but I think that his very public whining, bitching and moaning to the media afterward in the locker room about his "lack of touches" probably had more to do with it - it did with me, at least. And then to diss the city and fanbase as being "racist" after leaving? Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say. Assclown.

LambertIsGod58
11-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Man-crush is not the word for LambertIsGod58, it's actually getting pretty creepy and gross. "Oh but he's such a cute good ole' boy who plays the game like a little boy with such passion". Why don't you go alternate with ESPN employees in sucking off Favre and maybe he'll come play for us next season. And when he gets his inconsistent, pass-happy arm torn out of the socket playing behind the Pittsburgh O-line against teams on Pittsburgh's schedule instead of the Jet's cake walk schedule, then post your lovers stats for everyone.

See...you have no argument to the fact that Ben is being out played by a 40 yr old. And on a new team. All you have are "gay" comments or comebacks. That shows not only your intelligence but your maturity level. Tom Brady had owned the Steelers for years and all you and other fans can do is make homosexual jokes or comments about him too. You're a joke!! Next time I need a flyer at Wal-Mart, I'll be sure to look you up.

LambertIsGod58
11-30-2008, 07:21 AM
I said none of those.

I called him an IDIOT.

There IS a difference between Plax and Ben here. Plax was hurt by an instrument doing what it is PRIMARILY used for. As a result, he didn't use the instrument PROPERLY and caused damage.

Ben was using the instrument of his accident PROPERLY. It was someone else's fault by not obeying the laws. It was a secondary issue that caused Ben to be in the situation he was in.

In other words, It would be like Plax wrecking a motorcycle because he DIDNT KNOW HOW TO RIDE ONE. Or Ben hurting himself because a round breached and Ben didn't know it, firing a second round.

One is a first order mistake, the other a second order mistake.

Both are, ultimately, the fault of the person. But they are not equivelent.

BTW, are you sure you aren't just mad at Ben because he supposedly said
something to your nephew... :chuckle:

So what are helmets primarily used for then? Decoration? Hello? Primarily used for, are you serious? Was Ben the only person on the road when he was on the bike? If you need someone to tell you that you need to worry about the other drivers on the road then I'll stay clear of where you live. Once again, Ben gets a pass. I didn't feel bad for Ben at all when that happend. If he's stupid enough not to wear a helmet, that shows me in how high of a regard he holds his own safety.

GBMelBlount
11-30-2008, 07:36 AM
I didn't feel bad for Ben at all when that happend. If he's stupid enough not to wear a helmet, that shows me in how high of a regard he holds his own safety.

It surprises me that you would say that Lambert. I mean we've all made bad decisions at one time or another. It doesn't necessarily mean we're stupid. If this had happened to Tom Brady, or anyone else, I would feel terrible for that person, especially when it happened.

stillers4me
11-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Ben made a personal decision not to wear a helmet that day. (story goes that it was in the shop getting painted to match the bike that day. :noidea:) . It may not have been the decision that you or I would have made, but it was his. The law in Pa. does not require you to wear a helmet.

Plax carried a gun without a permit to protect himself. He was tipsy, tried to unload it, and shot himself in the leg. Ben hired a bodyguard for protection instead of carrying a weapon himself.

Looks to me like Ben made the smarter decision.

BubbyBrister
11-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Didn't see this thread yesterday and I posted the same thing in another thread.
Anyway, on ESPN this morning they were saying that it slipped down his leg and when he went to grab it, it went off...he didn't actually pull it out.

The big things that the league is looking at is a) was it registered? and b) Antonio Pierce was with him and supposively got rid of the gun afterwards.

cubanstogie
11-30-2008, 10:31 AM
See...you have no argument to the fact that Ben is being out played by a 40 yr old. And on a new team. All you have are "gay" comments or comebacks. That shows not only your intelligence but your maturity level. Tom Brady had owned the Steelers for years and all you and other fans can do is make homosexual jokes or comments about him too. You're a joke!! Next time I need a flyer at Wal-Mart, I'll be sure to look you up.

You can have Favre stats all you want, fact is early in year he was considered a bust. Now he has come alive and you are ready to blow him. The season starts with the playoffs, most Steelers fans could give a rats arse about QB stats. Ben has had a below avg year for him, BFD we are still 8-3 with our way below avg offensive line. So your stats mean jack. And as far as Ben compared to Plaxico, the only common denominator is that they both felt invincible. Ben was careless in not wearing helmet and irresponsible being that he let his team and the Rooneys down, but his not wearing a helmet had no potential of injuring or killing another human like Plaxico. Not to mention its probably a felony. The citizens of New York are lucky the Plaxico shot himself as opposed to the poor guy in Vegas who Pac man shot. Ben used poor judgment one day, Plaxico has been using the same poor judgement his whole gangster one a be life. Why would you take a gun to a night club. Why would you go to a night club when you are injured and not playing.

lilyoder6
11-30-2008, 10:33 AM
no plax does not have a concealed gun permit and that peirce "only" helped him out of the club... this was a stupid move by plax i think..

Preacher
11-30-2008, 10:38 AM
So what are helmets primarily used for then? Decoration? Hello? Primarily used for, are you serious? Was Ben the only person on the road when he was on the bike? If you need someone to tell you that you need to worry about the other drivers on the road then I'll stay clear of where you live. Once again, Ben gets a pass. I didn't feel bad for Ben at all when that happend. If he's stupid enough not to wear a helmet, that shows me in how high of a regard he holds his own safety.

OK..Sure.

Jerem. . . er. LIG.

T&B fan
11-30-2008, 11:10 AM
no plax does not have a concealed gun permit and that peirce "only" helped him out of the club... this was a stupid move by plax i think..

everyone is saying he dos not have a permit , is this a fact post a link please . and I don't think you can get a concealed gun permit in NYC .

LambertIsGod58
11-30-2008, 11:19 AM
It surprises me that you would say that Lambert. I mean we've all made bad decisions at one time or another. It doesn't necessarily mean we're stupid. If this had happened to Tom Brady, or anyone else, I would feel terrible for that person, especially when it happened.

Look back at the previous posts Mel. Apparently many of our fellow fans disagree with you. Several people stated or implied that they could care less what happens to Plax from a health standpoint.

stillers4me
11-30-2008, 11:19 AM
everyone is saying he dos not have a permit , is this a fact post a link please . and I don't think you can get a concealed gun permit in NYC .

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11292008/sports/giants/plaxico_burress_could_catch_a_felony_rap_141431.ht m

LambertIsGod58
11-30-2008, 11:22 AM
You can have Favre stats all you want, fact is early in year he was considered a bust. Now he has come alive and you are ready to blow him. The season starts with the playoffs, most Steelers fans could give a rats arse about QB stats. Ben has had a below avg year for him, BFD we are still 8-3 with our way below avg offensive line. So your stats mean jack. And as far as Ben compared to Plaxico, the only common denominator is that they both felt invincible. Ben was careless in not wearing helmet and irresponsible being that he let his team and the Rooneys down, but his not wearing a helmet had no potential of injuring or killing another human like Plaxico. Not to mention its probably a felony. The citizens of New York are lucky the Plaxico shot himself as opposed to the poor guy in Vegas who Pac man shot. Ben used poor judgment one day, Plaxico has been using the same poor judgement his whole gangster one a be life. Why would you take a gun to a night club. Why would you go to a night club when you are injured and not playing.

So if you're happy with below avg, let Leftwich play. And save the money to use for our O-line that keeps getting blamed for Ben getting sacked. And as far as blowing Favre, that's not my thing. But it seems to be on the forefront of other people's brain on here. It just so happens that Ben is over-hyped especially when he should be in the prime of his career and is being outplayed by Favre.

BubbyBrister
11-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Stumbled across this.
Top ten reasons Plax shot himself

http://www.gunaxin.com/ten-reasons-why-new-york-giants-wide-receiver-plaxico-burress-shot-himself-at-a-club/4462

GBMelBlount
11-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Look back at the previous posts Mel. Apparently many of our fellow fans disagree with you. Several people stated or implied that they could care less what happens to Plax from a health standpoint.

I don't necessarily agree with their thoughts towards Plax either Lambert. I guess I look at things a little differently. For instance, when someone cracks a funny joke about Brady, although I know it's absurd and untrue, I will laugh because it is funny. Or if someone posts a joke about the reasons Plax shot himself, although that is absurd and untrue as well, I will laugh because it's funny. But when I initially found out that Plax shot himself or that Ben almost died, the first thing I felt was concern for their well being. Just like when Joey got shot in the ass in Denver, well, once I knew he was OK, then I thought it was funny as hell. That's all.

cubanstogie
11-30-2008, 11:52 AM

I am one of them. I could care less what happens to Plaxico or Vick or Pacman. They made their own bed.

MACH1
11-30-2008, 12:08 PM

:busted:Closet Pats* fan:busted:

Only a DUMBASS would shoot themselves.

This thread is not about Ben or your God of football Brady*

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-30-2008, 12:22 PM
stupid is as stupid does. Looks like Pierce is going to be drug into this too and possibly a third Giants player. Plex will surrender to authorities on Monday.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/11/burress_will_surrender_to_auth.html

Giants' Burress will surrender to authorities as early as tomorrow
by Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger
Sunday November 30, 2008, 11:28 AM

Giants WR Plaxico Burress will surrender to authorities when requested -- without a warrant -- and will address his legal issues as early as tomorrow, according to the lawyer who will be representing him, Benjamin Brafman.

Brafman, who just visited with Burress at his Totowa home for an hour, said he has been in contact with NYPD and will speak with the New York County District Attorney's office later today. Brafman discussed the situation with Burress and said they will "responsibly address these legal issues in short order."

"We will make arrangements for Mr. Burress to be present when required," Brafman said. "He's not running away from this. He intends to deal with this responsibly, and we hope it works out in the end. I would ask that the public, the Giants, the media and everybody else withhold judgment. He's presumed innocent, hasn't been convicted of anything, and we have a long road ahead of us."

Brafman declined to go into specifics of what went on Friday night and Saturday but did say that Burress is "physically okay and thank God it was not a serious injury."

As Brafman addressed reporters, Burress' wife, Tiffany, left the house in a white Range Rover.

profootballtalk.com

PLAX, PIERCE FACING CRIMINAL CHARGES
Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2008, 7:23 a.m.

As previously expected, Giants receiver Plaxico Burress is in big trouble. Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reports that Burress likely will be arrested on felony weapons charges in the coming days after shooting himself in the leg at a Manhattan club with a weapon that he wasn’t properly licensed to carry.

As not previously expected, Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce could face charges of his own for allegedly taking the gun and stashing it in New Jersey after the incident.

(This would have been a great Playmakers episode if the show wasn’t so unrealistic in its depiction of the lifestyles of pro football players.)

Per Vacchiano, police became aware of the incident only after Giants employees “reached out quietly” to report it. A representative of the team was planning to retrieve the gun and surrender it to police.

Translation: The New York Giants will do nothing at all to shield Burress from the consequences of his conduct. In fact, the New York Giants seem to be more than willing to help the authorities take Burress off their hands.

As to Pierce, his attorney told police he’d cooperate in the investigation in exchange for a promise that he won’t be charged. But why would police need Pierce’s voluntary cooperation? Burress has a .40 caliber hole in his leg that wasn’t caused by a stapler, and his employer is actively assisting the investigation. Pierce has no leverage here, and his best bet is to cooperate fully and then hope for lenience.

For Plaxico, the law seemingly prevents much lenience. As we explained on Saturday night, illegal possession of a firearm in New York City results in a mandatory 3.5 year prison sentence, without exception.

And as to anyone who thinks that the Poindexter effect might prompt police to look the other way, New York City ain’t Surry County, Virginia. As one police source told Vacchiano regarding Burress, “He went for his gun and fumbled it. And now it will cost him.”

tony hipchest
11-30-2008, 12:23 PM
1. dont wear a gat tucked inside your baggy jeans next to your junk.

2. if you do, have the safety on.

fansince'76
11-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Not a thing is going to happen to either of them.

The Patriot
11-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Goodell will fine him for endangering a player's safety.

XxKnightxX
11-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Talk about moronic, unless he has a gun permit to carry concealed in which impossible where he resides in NJ, because only police officers or military if IM right are allowed to, and if his gun is registered. Very very veeeerrryy, STUPID. THe way Im seein the Gians play today, then Im pretty sure that 5 year extension plax go is looking more like a 2 year one,because hes slowly shoving himself out the door.

XxKnightxX
11-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Just Heard that Plax will get criminally charged for the possession of an illegal firearm. If Im correct in NY or NJ thats minimum 5 years prison, he better have a hell of a lawyer.

MACH1
11-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Just Heard that Plax will get criminally charged for the possession of an illegal firearm. If Im correct in NY or NJ thats minimum 5 years prison, he better have a hell of a lawyer.

Yep....Dumb just got dumber.

cubanstogie
11-30-2008, 07:20 PM

Favre played like a forty year old today. Jones rushed for 130 or so and they still get crushed. Ben played pretty well except for a play or two. Should have had a third TD pass but Nate sucks balls. I am really starting to dislike Nate. Not sure why you have it out for Ben. To each his own.

lilyoder6
11-30-2008, 09:18 PM
i beleive that the nyc law is at least 3 and 1/2 yrs of prison and a max up 2 7 yrs so the fact remains.. is that will the law treat him as a nfl superstar w/ a slap on the wrist or an avg person... my guess would be an nfl superstar and he'll just get a slap on the wrist... and as 4 peirce is going.. i don't think he should be charged.. he is helping the police in evrything

brick
11-30-2008, 10:30 PM
what an idiot, he has no business carrying one of those things around. plax becoming next pacman?

lilyoder6
12-01-2008, 12:48 AM
i don't know if u can call him the next pac-man.... in pac-man cases it involved other ppl that was harmed... plax is doing it to himself

TackleMeBen
12-01-2008, 10:43 AM
1. dont wear a gat tucked inside your baggy jeans next to your junk.

2. if you do, have the safety on.
well for his wife sake, he didnt shoot himself in the junk..lol.. :wink02:

Dumbass.

Ben got himself a bodyguard instead of carrying a weapon himself.
yeah, why carry a weapon when you can hire someone to do it for you... :thumbsup:

XxKnightxX
12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
LIke the news mentioned earlier this weekend, Plaxico has been criminally charged with possession of a LOADED, unregistered gun. Man this guy has just finished ruining his career. Hes gonna have to do time, I see no way in hell that he will get acquitted over in NY, gun laws are too strict over there. Just goes to show the smart move the rooneys made, and how the giants managed to get the best out of him as they could, because coughlin wont want anything to do with this guy after this. I say the giants should get rid of him, hes gotta face goodell as well so I see a massive suspension and fine coming. I just dont get it Plax. My former teacher and coach told me today too that he had media all over his block since he lives right around where plax lives in totowa.

As far as Pierce goes too, hes gonna have to cover his ass too because he was involved in hiding the gun, basically obstruction of justice. What a mess this is.

lilyoder6
12-01-2008, 12:52 PM
there are many threads about this.. didn't rly need 2 start a new one

LambertIsGod58
12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
The Rooneys almost always get rid of players at the right time. It's a revolving door with our linebackers and we never miss a beat.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Just goes to show the smart move the rooneys made, and how the giants managed to get the best out of him as they could, .

Yeah, remember the whole ..."should we pay Burress or pay Ward the big contract?" debate. I like how things worked out.

steelreserve
12-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah, remember the whole ..."should we pay Burress or pay Ward the big contract?" debate. I like how things worked out.

Yeah, plus if we kept him around, we would've broken the limit on talented-but-ghetto receivers who get into off-the-field trouble over stupid sh*t but you're willing to put up with it to a certain point. You're only allowed to have one of them at a time, and we've already got ours.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, plus if we kept him around, we would've broken the limit on talented-but-ghetto receivers who get into off-the-field trouble over stupid sh*t but you're willing to put up with it to a certain point. You're only allowed to have one of them at a time, and we've already got ours.

I assume you're talking about Santonio Holmes.

For what it's worth, if we would have kept Plax I don't think we would have drafted Holmes.

steelpride12
12-01-2008, 07:35 PM
He won't get the punishment he deserves.

T.Richardson
12-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I hate how players like Burress will get a "free get out of jail card"

T&B fan
12-01-2008, 08:14 PM
hes going to jail , the team don't need him to win and he cost them a lot of cash , hell the Gaints turned him in to the cops :laughing: the mayor of NYC is looking for heads to roll at the hospital for not turning in a gunshot wound . Bloomberg has already said ( no free pass ) . bye bye Plax bye bye no $$$ for you , Vick lost almost 95m out of a 100m . so he wont get much from his 35m .

on a funnyer note Plax get ready to do a lot of open receiving :chuckle:
over herd in the yard hay man I just ____ a million doller NFL star ..:wink02:
also that mans got great HANDS :chuckle::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2008, 11:36 PM
3.5 years minimum......in the pen ,if convicted...:wave: ....

XxKnightxX
12-01-2008, 11:42 PM
yeah but theres always plea deals that he can get from, but I see this guy doing time regardless, it will be almost impossible for him not to. So sad to see such a thing like this happens when you have a wife and a kid man, youre a dumbass man, thats where your whole "Im above everybody" mentality bites you in the ass, big time. You asked for your contract extension, and you got it, and you crap it all out in less than one year. Hopefully you can finish out your degree over at my college :), its not far from your house lol.

but above all, you do this when you have a kid, tsk tsk tsk, you should knonw better. Hire a body guard next time.

stlrtruck
12-02-2008, 08:07 AM
I like what the governor was saying last night that there are strict laws and that allowing one person to get off because of their position is a mockery of the system and he wants to see the Burress prosecuted to the full extent of the law....finally someone with a freakin' backbone against these idiot NFL players thinking they are above the law.

TackleMeBen
12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
I like what the governor was saying last night that there are strict laws and that allowing one person to get off because of their position is a mockery of the system and he wants to see the Burress prosecuted to the full extent of the law....finally someone with a freakin' backbone against these idiot NFL players thinking they are above the law.
any chance we can get him for commissioner??:wink02:. at least he follows the laws that are already written and doesnt make them up as he goes... unlike a certain commissioner we know of.. goodell???

fansince'76
12-02-2008, 09:24 AM

I'll believe it when I see it - the "Super Bowl hero" already has people trying to cover his ass:

(NYC Mayor Bloomberg) also lashed out at the hospital, based on the allegation that officials may not have properly reported the shooting.

"It's just an outrage that the hospital didn't do what they were legally required to do. It's a misdemeanor, it's a chargeable offense, and I think the district attorney should certainly go after the management of this hospital. The lame excuse that they didn't know -- this is a world-class hospital," he said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ce8eda&template=with-video&confirm=true

T&B fan
12-02-2008, 09:43 AM
any chance we can get him for commissioner??:wink02:. at least he follows the laws that are already written and doesnt make them up as he goes... unlike a certain commissioner we know of.. goodell???

well not realy he is ( was ) term limmited till he changed the law so he can run agen . thats ok hes still cool :tt03:

lilyoder6
12-02-2008, 10:07 AM
and the reason he changed the law was b/c of the p. diddy case a few yrs ago

Edman
12-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Yet another real dumbass who throws away his career on dumb shit.

KeiselPower99
12-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Imtired of hearing about this. He shot himslef and its every where. That guy from Jacksonille was shot and list his legs and it seems like nothing has been said about him. Just cause its the NY media its everywhere.

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Was placed on the non football injury list, according to ESPN.

Pittsburghfan
12-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Just heard this on KDKA. Not really surprised, the Giants are doing fine without him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Can they cut him?? I think there are conduct clauses in his contract and I'm sure weapons possession fits that category.

What a knucklehead.

stillers4me
12-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm just glad he's not our problem.

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Can they cut him?? I think there are conduct clauses in his contract and I'm sure weapons possession fits that category.

What a knucklehead.I guess they could. I do know they don't have to pay him for the remainder of the year.

43Hitman
12-02-2008, 05:29 PM
At least he isn't a problem for the Steelers anymore.

XxKnightxX
12-02-2008, 05:39 PM
and hes a wide receiver too. ny media can find out everything from you. they will take your soul away and spy on you lol. colliers sotry was pretty bad to but theyre more restricted to info due to family request and the fact that the perpretator is still out there free.

OneForTheToe
12-02-2008, 05:40 PM

What a knucklehead.

I'm not sure about this, but I think if they cut him it has a bigger salary cap implications next year. Also, I seem to remember with the Vick mess that if they want to recoup some of his bonus money he has to be on the roster.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I highly doubt there is anything about not being allowed to carry a weapon in his contract.

Im sorry, but the right to bear arms is a right that everyone other than the mentally insane and convicted felons has a right to, and nobidy including an employer can take that away.

The ironic thing is that while using his right to bear arms, Plax was doing it illegally and now might become a convicted felon bcause of it....causing him to lose his right to bear arms and his right to vote.

steelreserve
12-02-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure about this, but I think if they cut him it has a bigger salary cap implications next year. Also, I seem to remember with the Vick mess that if they want to recoup some of his bonus money he has to be on the roster.

I thought if someone hurts himself doing something stupid outside of football, the team can claim a pro-rated amount of whatever signing bonus he was paid (e.g. 40% if he's played out 60% of his contract, 20% if he's played out 80% of his contract, etc.). The idea being that if they decide to cut him for violating his contract, it'll basically wipe all his remaining salary off the books and they start from square one.

I'm pretty sure shooting yourself with a gun counts as a violation of the standard dangerous-behavior part of the standard NFL contract.

Also, whatever the Giants do, if anyone files a grievance with the players' union, that person should have a football shoved up his ass. I cannot believe some of the ridiculous situations they'll stick up for a player in and say the team is being unfair. It seems like in order to be a legitimate suspension in the union's eyes, the player would have to shoot himself in the head while doing a handstand on a motorcycle in the snow, while he was trying to jump it over 20 school buses, in jail.

OneForTheToe
12-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I highly doubt there is anything about not being allowed to carry a weapon in his contract.

Im sorry, but the right to bear arms is a right that everyone other than the mentally insane and convicted felons has a right to, and nobidy including an employer can take that away.

The ironic thing is that while using his right to bear arms, Plax was doing it illegally and now might become a convicted felon bcause of it....causing him to lose his right to bear arms and his right to vote.

I am a supporter of the right to bear arms, but theoretically an employer can take away your "right to bear arms," since you do not have "right" to a particular job. However, I agree that there is almost certainly nothing in his contract forbidding gun possession. I do know that the NFL has a policy that forbids a player from carrying a gun into lockerrooms,on team flights,or any function related to the NFL.

But, the only issue here, as you said, is that Plax broke the law.

OneForTheToe
12-02-2008, 06:15 PM
I thought if someone hurts himself doing something stupid outside of football, the team can claim a pro-rated amount of whatever signing bonus he was paid (e.g. 40% if he's played out 60% of his contract, 20% if he's played out 80% of his contract, etc.). The idea being that if they decide to cut him for violating his contract, it'll basically wipe all his remaining salary off the books and they start from square one.

I'm pretty sure shooting yourself with a gun counts as a violation of the standard dangerous-behavior part of the standard NFL contract.

Also, whatever the Giants do, if anyone files a grievance with the players' union, that person should have a football shoved up his ass. I cannot believe some of the ridiculous situations they'll stick up for a player in and say the team is being unfair. It seems like in order to be a legitimate suspension in the union's eyes, the player would have to shoot himself in the head while doing a handstand on a motorcycle in the snow, while he was trying to jump it over 20 school buses, in jail.

I'm not sure steelreserve, but I do remember something about the Falcons having to leave Vick on the roster (inactrive) in order to recoup their money.

steelreserve
12-02-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure steelreserve, but I do remember something about the Falcons having to leave Vick on the roster (inactrive) in order to recoup their money.

You were right, although it looks like it's somewhere in between what each of us thought. It said that under the collective bargaining agreement, a player has to be on the roster while you make a legal claim to recover his signing bonus. So it sounds like they would have to keep him on the roster while the legal fight went on, but no more than that.

The difference here, though, is that Vick had a huge signing bonus in his contract, something like $22 million. But Burress only got $4.5 million, and the Giants only still owe him $1 million of that -- most of his contract was in non-guaranteed base salary. So the bigger hit to him is if they cut him, he loses close to $30 million in base pay, and there isn't shit he can do about that. And as soon as you cut a player, his base pay doesn't count against the salary cap anymore, just whatever prorated amount of his bonus is left.

But since he didn't get a huge bonus, I don't know if it'll matter that much.

OneForTheToe
12-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Good point. I think they will keep him on the roster this year while the legal system playss out, and cut him next year either way. I read that he gets $100,000 a week for any week he is active, so at the very least he is out 400,000 K the rest of the season.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I am a supporter of the right to bear arms, but theoretically an employer can take away your "right to bear arms," since you do not have "right" to a particular job. However, I agree that there is almost certainly nothing in his contract forbidding gun possession. I do know that the NFL has a policy that forbids a player from carrying a gun into lockerrooms,on team flights,or any function related to the NFL.

But, the only issue here, as you said, is that Plax broke the law.

What I meant by an employer cannot take away your right to bear arms is that they cannot fire you for owning a gun. However, they can fire you for bringing said gun onto company policy.

But then again, if a company wanted to fire you for owning a gun they can just fire you without explanation. If one is forced by a lawyer, they can just say that they feel you weren't doing the job up to par. Bam, not illegal and you're still out of a job.

steelreserve
12-03-2008, 11:40 AM
What I meant by an employer cannot take away your right to bear arms is that they cannot fire you for owning a gun. However, they can fire you for bringing said gun onto company policy.

But then again, if a company wanted to fire you for owning a gun they can just fire you without explanation. If one is forced by a lawyer, they can just say that they feel you weren't doing the job up to par. Bam, not illegal and you're still out of a job.

I don't think the team would have fired him just for having a gun. Everyone knows that a lot of pro athletes carry guns for "protection" because they see themselves as targets when they go out in public. Fair enough.

But I think the other issue here is, if you're an NFL player, you're a public figure, and if you get in trouble, it has other effects -- making the team look bad and distracting the other players are two things that actually matter more in the NFL, and they make the rules different from what you'd get as a generic "employee". I imagine that if a Supreme Court judge or the CEO of General Motors got into a fistfight on the street, they'd probably have some explaining to do as well, for the same reason. Especially if it was with each other.

Godfather
12-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I don't think the team would have fired him just for having a gun. Everyone knows that a lot of pro athletes carry guns for "protection" because they see themselves as targets when they go out in public. Fair enough.

Agree. That's why I was sympathetic to Plax at first. Ask Sean Taylor or Richard Collier or Darrent Williams about players being targets.

But a couple of the players-turned-sportscasters said that every team has a security officer who can make one phone call and hire an off-duty cop for a player who wants to go out. That makes it unnecessary for a player to take a gun out for a night on the town. It also makes sure someone properly trained in the use of firearms is the one pulling the trigger if it becomes necessary and gives the player legal and political cover if there's an incident.

Other problem here is Plax is obviously too stupid to have a gun.

steelreserve
12-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Agree. That's why I was sympathetic to Plax at first. Ask Sean Taylor or Richard Collier or Darrent Williams about players being targets.

But a couple of the players-turned-sportscasters said that every team has a security officer who can make one phone call and hire an off-duty cop for a player who wants to go out. That makes it unnecessary for a player to take a gun out for a night on the town. It also makes sure someone properly trained in the use of firearms is the one pulling the trigger if it becomes necessary and gives the player legal and political cover if there's an incident.

Other problem here is Plax is obviously too stupid to have a gun.

Right. I mean, I understand why players would feel like they're walking around with a bull's-eye on their chests, but have you ever heard of anything good happening as a result of a player pulling out a gun at a nightclub? For that matter, ever heard of a gang of thugs trying to mug a player, but he pulled out his gun and chased them off? It's just not a good thing for them to get pulled into where they're using the weapon themselves.

And as someone who owns two guns myself, I've got to say: UNBELIEVABLY stupid move there, Plax. It's pretty questionable to be carrying around a loaded gun in the first place, since, you know, you're in a nightclub where you're moving around and getting bumped into by drunks. It takes maybe a second to load a gun using a magazine, so why not keep them separate? And having the safety off just makes you retarded. If it was the kind of safety that can get "accidentally" switched off if you bump it wrong, then you probably shouldn't have had that gun in public. You make millions of dollars; go buy a different one.

Basically, on top of being an ill-advised place to bring a weapon, it was the epitome of gun un-safety.