PDA

View Full Version : Savin' Money !!!!

Hammer Of The GODS
11-30-2008, 12:29 AM
I believe in passing on good advice and helping my fellow man. Especially my Steeler bretheren! So I posted this video on youtube of my new pellet/corn stove. I am saving more than half of what I paid last year in natural gas cost. This stove is 99.7% efficient. That's better than my 3yr old natural gas furnace!

If you're looking to save on heating cost this is the best alternative I could find for whole house heating! It will pay for itself in about 2-3 winters. It's not for the lazy though. It requires fuel once a day and cleaning once a week. But my house is a toasty 75 degrees while it's below freezing outside at a cost of about 5 bucks a day/24hrs.!

Best part is, is that it's nice to look at too!

kryaysSmBus

xfl2001fan
11-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Where did you get it from?

GutterflowerSteel
11-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Cool - thanks for sharing that. I've heard of pellet stoves but don't know anyone who actually has one. It hardly takes up any room at all :thumbsup:

Hammer Of The GODS
11-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Where did you get it from?

I actually bought this one used from a guy who was selling his house and the new owners didn't want it. It;s 2 years old but runs like new. I saved about 2 grand from new by searching craigs list..

You can actually find them on Ebay brand new for about $2400 but with no factory waranty. Brand new from Bixby costs about 4k but it eventually pays for itself. Of course there are cheaper brands but the Bixby has the highest effeciency and in my opinion looks the best.

Polamalu Princess
11-30-2008, 10:23 AM
That sounds great!

Preacher
11-30-2008, 10:27 AM
That sounds great.... Except that, well.

I live in the Bay area. We have something call "Spare the Air" days.

It is illegal to burn any type of wood fireplace during those days.

Ther's about 20 of them from Novemember through February, which means almost a month is lost of heating by pellet.

Hammer Of The GODS
11-30-2008, 01:07 PM
That sounds great.... Except that, well.

I live in the Bay area. We have something call "Spare the Air" days.

It is illegal to burn any type of wood fireplace during those days.

Ther's about 20 of them from Novemember through February, which means almost a month is lost of heating by pellet.

I was told that the higher the efficiency the less pollution, so I did a quick search and found this article and quote.

Pellet fuel appliances burn small, 3/81 inch (100254 millimeter [mm])-long pellets that look like rabbit feed. Pellets are made from compacted sawdust, wood chips, bark, agricultural crop waste, waste paper, and other organic materials. Some models can also burn nutshells, corn kernels, and small wood chips. They are more convenient to operate and have much higher combustion and heating efficiencies than ordinary wood stoves or fireplaces. As a consequence of this, they produce very little air pollution. In fact, pellet stoves are the cleanest of solid fuel-burning residential heating appliances. With combustion efficiencies of 78%85%, they are also exempt from United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) smoke-emission testing requirements. Pellet stoves have heating capacities that range between 8,000 and 90,000 Btu per hour. They are suitable for homes as well as apartments or condominiums.

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/space_heating_cooling/index.cfm/mytopic=12570

If you are indeed looking to save money it would be worth looking into the details of those laws out there in that crazy state your in.