PDA

View Full Version : Ben being rude to fans? (see bolded section of the article)

mesaSteeler
11-30-2008, 08:48 AM
(First time I've heard about this but given the intensity of Steeler fans it doesn't surprise me. The section that refers to Ben is bolded. - mesa)
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/11/28/sports/other/doc4930ccfcb5b3d359614384.txt

Steigerwald: QB play holding Pitt back

By John Steigerwald, Times Sports Correspondent
Published: Saturday, November 29, 2008 12:03 AM EST
Imagine if Pitt had a quarterback.

Bill Stull, a redshirt junior, is in his first year as a starter, and maybe he has played about as well as most first-year starters at the highest level of college football play. But can you count the number of games in the last two years in which Pitt has outplayed its opponent and lost or almost lost because of the stark difference in quarterback play?

It almost happened against West Virginia Friday. Take away Pat White's spectacular 54-yard touchdown run and he didn't play much better than Stull. Pitt dominated the game especially early and would have won easily if not for Stull's mistakes.

Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt took a lot of criticism his first two years for not recruiting enough Division I-A linemen on either side of the ball. You don't hear too many people complaining now, do you? Pitt beat West Virginia because of better line play.

And, of course, LeSean McCoy.

He makes Pitt a good team. A really good quarterback might have made Pitt an elite team. Great quarterbacks aren't easy to find and they're even harder to recruit when you coach in the Big East and you have a reputation as a guy who loves to run the ball.

Maybe Stull can become a really good quarterback before he's through, but Wannstedt needs to find better production from the position if he expects Pitt to be anything but a pretty good team that will probably go to a decent bowl game.

- Let's hope that LeSean McCoy finds a good insurance man. He says he's passing on the NFL draft and staying at Pitt even though he's eligible for the NFL draft after only two seasons.

McCoy is a likely first-round pick and is passing up millions of dollars, and he'll be shopping for an insurance policy that will bring him millions of dollars if he suffers a career-ending injury next season.

From here, that looks like a pretty good bet. There's a pretty good chance that, if he has another season like his first two, he could be the number one pick in the 2010 draft. That could mean several million more than he would be in line for next April.

He's not just a great college running back and he's not just a future No.1 pick. He is a once-in-a-lifetime runner. The last Pitt running back to have a long, successful NFL career was Curtis Martin. He's headed to the Hall of Fame. McCoy is better.

- Ben Roethlisberger's ears must have been burning on Tuesday. KDKA talkshow host Marty Griffin spent a good part of the morning trashing him and taking calls from fans who agreed with him and it had nothing to do with how he has played quarterback this season. It was all about his people skills.

Griffin claimed that Roethlisberger had complained to him about Steelers fans not giving him space. He said that Ben said he wished people would leave him alone.

Ben's a future Hall of Fame quarterback, but he's not going to make the goodwill ambassador hall of fame. There seem to be thousands of Ben-was-rude-to-me stories circulating in western Pennsylvania. Some of them are from fans who have been treated rudely by him, some are from people who have seen him behaving badly and some are from his own teammates and former teammates.

I'm aware of a few incidents myself, but, that doesn't mean he doesn't have a legitimate complaint. I've seen fans hanging around the entrances to hotel elevators waiting to ambush players. I've seen them waiting outside of hotel restaurants and I've heard the nasty comments directed at players who didn't feel like standing around a hotel lobby signing hundreds of autographs.

They think that because they drove five hours to Cincinnati to see a Steelers game, the players owe them something. I can only imagine what it must be like for Roethlisberger when he makes the mistake of going out in public. Fans view a Big Ben sighting as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get his autograph or to have him show up as wallpaper on their cell phone.

Ben needs to show a little more tact but the fans also need to back off.

- Steelers fans are worried about whether the Steelers are going to get home-field advantage in the playoffs. Imagine if they were hoping to see their first home playoff game since Harry Truman was president. That's what Arizona Cardinals fans are hoping Ken Whisenthut can give them.

- I had come to believe that Mike Vick had been punished enough and deserved another chance to play in the NFL. Not anymore. Not since I read that affidavits taken as testimony in Virginia claimed that Vick and his two buddies would laugh as they watched someone's pet dog being ripped to pieces after being put into the fighting pit with one of their pit bulls.

Here's hoping he never plays another down in the NFL or any other league.

l The Pirates signed two players from India a few days ago. Need I say more?

John Steigerwald is a talk show host on KDKA Radio. His column appears Saturdays.

Glace
11-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Eh, I don't know how to feel about this.

Some of these cases are like watching the paparazzi (sp?) in hollywood almost literally stalking celebrities just to get a stupid picture. You see videos of them harrassing the celebs trying to get them to do something crazy so they can make more money off of the story.

I have no doubt the same thing goes on with NFL players.

We love to watch our favorite players. We look up to them. They are like heroes to us. But at the end of the day we have to realize that they are just people too, and they need their space.

But at the same time, players need to realize that fans aren't doing it to be rude. We see one of our heroes, and all sense of logic and reasoning disappears as you get all giddy and hope that you get a chance to meet them or get them to autograph something. Maybe a picture.

I don't know. I guess the situation depends on what kind of fan you're dealing with.

Edman
11-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Here we go...:coffee:

TailgateMel
11-30-2008, 11:02 AM
I've been hearing rumors around Pittsburgh that he is pretty much a dick in person... (take that for what it's worth.. rumors)

but... I don't really care what his personality is like OFF the field.. as long as he stays out of legal trouble & his off-field activities don't affect his on-field activities.

Performance on the field is what matters.

Mel

stillers4me
11-30-2008, 11:15 AM
yada, yada, yada........back off and give the guy some privacy. He is generous enough with his money and charities. I see his face all the time on the official site during charity events. But his own time his just that........his own time. Give him some space to have a private life.

LambertIsGod58
11-30-2008, 11:17 AM
yada, yada, yada........back off and give the guy some privacy. He is generous enough with his money and charities. I see his face all the time on the official site during charity events. But his own time his just that........his own time. Give him some space to have a private life.

Exactly, I'm sure his face is all over for his charity work. After all, it's all about the image. Not the reality. This story doesn't surprise me at all.

SCSTILLER
11-30-2008, 11:30 AM

Agreed! I wish these fans would step back and look at it from Ben's perspective. I know for one that I would hate to be swamped and pressured for autographs and such everytime I went out for a bite to eat or what not. Let the man live a normal life, as long as he produces on the field, I am happy with that.

Hapa
11-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Honestly, it's hard to be one of the best at what you do in such a big market and make so much money, and be a good person.

X-Terminator
11-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately, this is the price you pay for being a star player in a football-mad city like Pittsburgh. It really isn't much different than being a star hockey player in Montreal or Toronto or a star baseball player in New York or Boston. If these rumors are true, then Ben needs to recognize that and be a little more tactful. At the same time, the fans need to understand that when Ben or any other star athlete is in public, let them live their lives in peace. They do not and should not have to be available 24/7 or be made to feel like they owe the fans anything because they are who they are. In that case, they deserve to get the cold shoulder treatment.

LambertIsGod58
11-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Unfortunately, this is the price you pay for being a star player in a football-mad city like Pittsburgh. It really isn't much different than being a star hockey player in Montreal or Toronto or a star baseball player in New York or Boston. If these rumors are true, then Ben needs to recognize that and be a little more tactful. At the same time, the fans need to understand that when Ben or any other star athlete are in public, to let them live their lives in peace. They do not and should not have to be available 24/7 or be made to feel like they owe the fans anything because they are who they are. In that case, they deserve to get the cold shoulder treatment.

I agree with most everything you said...except the part that they don't owe the fans anything. Who do you think pays their salary? In a round about way, WE do. If there were no fans to go to games or buy merchandise, where would their money come from?

stillers4me
11-30-2008, 11:47 AM
I agree with most everything you said...except the part that they don't owe the fans anything. Who do you think pays their salary? In a round about way, WE do. If there were no fans to go to games or buy merchandise, where would their money come from?

So where do you draw the line? Shouldn't he be able to eat in a restaurant or watch a hockey game in peace? I'm sure he's actually like to go out a pick out something new at a store himself, but I bet he can't even do that.

LambertIsGod58
11-30-2008, 11:54 AM
That's a tough question stillers. I hear what you are saying. But that argument can go both ways. WE are the reason they make the money that they do. It comes with the territory IMO. If he can't handle it then maybe he should have chosen another profession. I know Bussy wasn't like that. Ben's not the only player like that. It's unfortunately the way it is.

fansince'76
11-30-2008, 12:12 PM
"Eff you kid, you don't have 'boobs!'"

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

43Hitman
11-30-2008, 12:14 PM

:rofl:

The Duke
11-30-2008, 12:20 PM

:buttkick:

OneForTheToe
11-30-2008, 12:50 PM
I feel like I am in a Quantum Leap episode and I have just found myself in 2006.

So, somebodies got to have a cousin, whose sister works at an office with a guy, whose uncle is neighboors with a women who car pools with another women who dated a guy whose mechanic is married to a lawyer who goes to church with a family who has an adopted daughter that goes to Pitt and has a professor who goes to a doctor whose receptionist was friends in college with a guy who owns a store downtown who has a customer that comes in that knows a taxi driver, whose brother-in-law bumped into a guy on the street who told him that his nephew was at Steelers' training camp and that he ran into an old friend who told him one of the priests told him that his mother who lives in Buffalo has a "bridge" partner whose daughter read on a some Steelers' message board that Ben was rude.

So, it has to be true.

stillers4me
11-30-2008, 12:51 PM
My aunt actually had a Ben sighting a year or two ago up in the mountains of Pa. They have a hunting camp up there and saw Ben and a couple of guys at a small restaurant. Now I'm sure they would have loved to have an autograph and a brief conversation with Ben, but they left him alone.

stillers4me
11-30-2008, 12:52 PM
I feel like I am in a Quantum Leap episode and I have just found myself in 2006.

So, somebodies got to have a cousin, whose sister works at an office with a guy, whose uncle is neighboors with a women who car pools with another women who dated a guy whose mechanic is married to a lawyer who goes to church with a family who has an adopted daughter that goes to Pitt and has a professor who goes to a doctor whose receptionist was friends in college with a guy who owns a store downtown who has a customer that comes in that knows a taxi driver, whose brother-in-law bumped into a guy on the street who told him that his nephew was at Steelers' training camp and that he ran into an old friend who told him one of the priests told him that his mother who lives in Buffalo has a "bridge" partner whose daughter read on a some Steelers' message board that Ben was rude.

So, it has to be true.

:chuckle:

shevdog
11-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Pittsburgh is always hard on their QB's. I wasn't alive in the 70's, but I'm sure we were hard on Brashaw. Anyhow, do your job and forget about the naysayers!

siss
11-30-2008, 01:07 PM
I have a Ben story.

I have a friend who went to Miami and is a teacher in Oxford. She was friends with the late Terry Heopner (Bens College coach) and taught at the school that Jane Heopner taught at.
Well anyway, my friend is having health problems (sadly of the fatel sort).
Well to make a long story short, (and without giving away to many private details of how this transpired) through Bens agent we were able to get in contact with Ben and tell him her story. And not to long ago Ben sent her a a signed picture of him.
For every story of Ben being rude or being out of controll there are just as many of him being a good guy. He does a lot for the community of Pittsburgh and the city he plays in (through his Foundation) He has said himself that he is a private person and he doesnt just let anyone in. However, the fans will never respect that. They want him to be on all the time. When you hear these stories of Ben being rude, you only hear one side of the story. You don't hear about the fan being rude or pushy. I believe there is some truth to the stories (I've heard them all) but I also believe that fans need to let the man live his life.
Besides that, look at who the story was written by. Steggy has had it out for Ben since he got into town!

jjpro11
11-30-2008, 02:01 PM
i know for a fact there are players on the team that are "better" to the fans than ben.. make of it what you want, thats just the way it is. i still wear his jersey because i dont care.

tyler289
11-30-2008, 02:02 PM
I would be pretty annoyed as well if everywhere I went people were bombarding me with pictures and autographs.

That's why I don't go for autographs and why I can understand a player (esp. a high-profile player) being a little ticked off.

Still, he should be a little more careful with his words in public.

43Hitman
11-30-2008, 02:49 PM
I would be pretty annoyed as well if everywhere I went people were bombarding me with pictures and autographs.

That's why I don't go for autographs and why I can understand a player (esp. a high-profile player) being a little ticked off.

I agree. I went to the Steeler/Redskins preseason game the year they won the SB. I was lucky enough to score fieldpasses and was able to meet coach Cowher,Bussie, and Ben. All of them automatically asssumed that I wanted an autograph. But when I told them no, that I just wanted to chat and let them know how much I apprecieate what they do. They were really taken aback by those words. But after that they really opened up to me and had a good conversation. It was really freaking cool. I can sypathize with all the pressure they get from the fans.

markymarc
11-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Sorry but I can pretty much guarantee that every single NFL players has had "bad" incidents with fans. They are not nice to every NFL fan out there. Just not going to happen. And I can also guarantee that Ben has more "nice" incidents than "bad" ones with fans.

Godfather
11-30-2008, 10:27 PM

Yep...I live less than a five minute drive from the Favre compound. I've met Brett's mom several times, but I always ask about Jeff or Myah instead of Brett. I figure she gets enough Brett fanboys.

Preacher
11-30-2008, 10:45 PM
I heard the same thing about Joe Montana.

However, one evening, while I was working at a gas station (yeah, it was a cold, dark foggy night. . . but that is beside the point. Sure does enhance the story though doesn't it).

Since no one was coming in because of the weather, I just sat their engrossed in my book. Finally, I realized someone walked into the store and was standing there staring at me. I looked up, and there stood Joe Montana with a smirk (he knew I would probably be shocked). Instead, I just smiled and asked if I could help him. As I was making the transaction, the smart-alec in me came out just a little bit, "Don't I know you from somewhere?" He just smiled and said, "You might have seen me on tv once or twice." I said, "Oh, Ok." And just went about my business.

We talked for a minute or two about why he was driving up to Santa Rosa and how he couldn't fly up there in the fog, then left.

He was just a nice, warm, cordial guy. Now if I acted like a FAN around him, he probably would have turned-tale and ran.

I have a feeling Ben is probably in the same boat.

SteelCityMan786
11-30-2008, 11:22 PM

People do need to give Ben his free time. He's already in the public eye a lot of the time. GIVE HIM HIS MOMENT OF PEACE!

stlrtruck
12-01-2008, 08:26 AM
I've seen Steelers players walk out of elevators, restaurants, etc. and just moved along. While I like to get autographed items for my future Steelers Room, there's a time and place for it.

Fans need to recognize that if the player is at a hotel then they are there for a game and are going about their business for preparation.

So what you didn't get an autograph or a picture - too bad, get over yourself and your ego!

The_WARDen
12-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Exactly, I'm sure his face is all over for his charity work. After all, it's all about the image. Not the reality. This story doesn't surprise me at all.

I'm sure Trent Dilfer is a real swell guy.

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
12-01-2008, 09:20 AM
lets see some video footage of him being "rude", ive heard too many good things to be worried about some fan who was probably shunned off by ben for putting a jersey in his face and yelling about an autograph.

and besides, ben does no wrong

SteelMember
12-01-2008, 09:26 AM
I believe autographs are the biggest issue for any sports/entertainment personality. I would venture to say that most of these autographs eventually end up in some sports card store or eBay. Hell, they probably recognize the same people over and over again.

To quote a line from Bad Santa..."I'm on my f@#*ing lunch break!"

memphissteelergirl
12-01-2008, 09:30 AM
I agree Ben could use a little more tact in situations like this. That said, however, people do need to understand that these guys want (and deserve) their private time, too. Yeah, we invest a lot of our time and money in our favorite team and players, but that doesn't grant us 24/7 access to them, either.

Use common sense and courtesy, that's all.

LambertIsGod58
12-01-2008, 09:52 AM
I agree Ben could use a little more tact in situations like this. That said, however, people do need to understand that these guys want (and deserve) their private time, too. Yeah, we invest a lot of our time and money in our favorite team and players, but that doesn't grant us 24/7 access to them, either.

Use common sense and courtesy, that's all.

You probably said it best!!!

iloveben7
12-01-2008, 10:28 AM
They don't say what the fans did to him though. I've never heard bad stories about Ben from my friends that have seen him in public or what. My one friend saw him at Dave & Busters and he was interacting with the fans and everything. At training camp he's always nice to everyone except when they're screaming his name at the top of his lungs and I don't blame him.