PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Crennel to lose Browns job unless team has miracle finish

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Browns head coach Romeo Crennel stated emphatically this week that Brady Quinn will be Cleveland's starting quarterback in 2009. Crennel might not be Quinn's head coach next season, however.

Crennel will need a miracle finish with Derek Anderson at quarterback to save his own job, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Quinn will miss the rest of this season with a broken finger on his throwing hand.

Several notable names will be available for a potential opening in Cleveland.

Among the names topping a possible candidate list: Bill Cowher, Marty Scottenheimer, and coordinators like the Jets' Brian Schottenheimer, the Giants' Steve Spagnuolo, the Titans' Jim Schwartz, the Falcons' Mike Mularkey and the Ravens' Rex Ryan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3735059

Cowher and the CBS pregame crew were acting very odd this morning. Think somethings up there?

SteelCityMan786
11-30-2008, 01:54 PM
No surprises here.

xfl2001fan
11-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Steve Spagnuolo

There's the guy they'll likely hire (because I don't see Cowher coming out of retirement.)

X-Terminator
11-30-2008, 01:57 PM
If they want a proven winner, then Cowher's their man. If they want another new face, then Steve Spagnuolo or Rex Ryan are the best choices, IMO. I still don't see Cowher going to Cleveland unless he's coach and GM, and it doesn't sound like your GM is in danger of losing his job.

Crushzilla
11-30-2008, 01:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3735059

Cowher and the CBS pregame crew were acting very odd this morning. Think somethings up there?

Didn't see it... but... does it generally ooze professionalism? :noidea:

xfl2001fan
11-30-2008, 02:03 PM
If they want a proven winner, then Cowher's their man. If they want another new face, then Steve Spagnuolo or Rex Ryan are the best choices, IMO. I still don't see Cowher going to Cleveland unless he's coach and GM, and it doesn't sound like your GM is in danger of losing his job.

Exactly. Up until Savage, we had no GM...and that didn't do us any good. Savage has brought in some pretty good players for us...though his staff/staph management needs a little more work. He's a hell of a scout.

Rex Ryan may make it...and it wouldn't be a bad thing if he did come along...because he'd have us go to a 4-3 defense...which (IMO) our personnel is a better fit for anyways.

Steeler in Carolina
11-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I would hate to see Cowher go to Cleveland and ruin his legacy with a bunch of losers that they have. They need a good QB. Need a running back. They need a WR who doesn't drop balls. They need a TE who isn't a jerk. I could go on and on.

XxKnightxX
11-30-2008, 02:46 PM
I wouldnt see Cowher coming to Cleveland unless he got control of the whole team, I think I will see him bump heads with savage. Yes, I might be delusional, but I dont want Cowher going to Cleveland,and if by any chance he does, then we will have a hell of a rivalry and emotion ridden 2 game showdown. ONe person i would defintely see back in coaching is Marty, Man did that guy get screwed out of his job and now the Dolts are paying for it.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-30-2008, 02:58 PM
I wouldnt see Cowher coming to Cleveland unless he got control of the whole team, I think I will see him bump heads with savage. Yes, I might be delusional, but I dont want Cowher going to Cleveland,and if by any chance he does, then we will have a hell of a rivalry and emotion ridden 2 game showdown. ONe person i would defintely see back in coaching is Marty, Man did that guy get screwed out of his job and now the Dolts are paying for it.

Marty is my 2nd choice is we can't get the chin.

This team is a joke right now..prepare for a 45-0 victory week 17 so ya'll can clinch the AFC north.

revefsreleets
11-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Jesus. The Cleveland fans can't believe it. The Pittsburgh fans WON'T believe it.

It's going to happen. Cowher does NOT have this phantom loyalty to Rooney. He wants money. He wants to coach at Cleveland. He will coach at Cleveland next year.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Jesus. The Cleveland fans can't believe it. The Pittsburgh fans WON'T believe it.

It's going to happen. Cowher does NOT have this phantom loyalty to Rooney. He wants money. He wants to coach at Cleveland. He will coach at Cleveland next year.

That Would make my christmas if that happened.

Heres to hoping you're right. :drink:

xfl2001fan
11-30-2008, 09:46 PM

I don't see savage going anywhere...which means we either go old school with Marty...or try to get another new face like Rex Ryan or Steve S (NY Giants).

ShutDown24
11-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Steve Spagnuolo

There's the guy they'll likely hire (because I don't see Cowher coming out of retirement.)

I don't think Spagnuolo would go to Cleveland... He turned down teams with a better reputation than the Browns have last year because he didn't feel they had enough talent... (Redskins). That is what came from Spagnuolo's mouth anyway. If that's true, why would he go to coach killing Cleveland? Better teams will probably be in the running for a head coach and his services this off-season.

xfl2001fan
11-30-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't think Spagnuolo would go to Cleveland... He turned down teams with a better reputation than the Browns have last year because he didn't feel they had enough talent... (Redskins). That is what came from Spagnuolo's mouth anyway. If that's true, why would he go to coach killing Cleveland? Better teams will probably be in the running for a head coach and his services this off-season.

We've got talent...it's just piss-poor coached.

How does Braylon/Kellen go from Pro Bowl worthy to not good enough for 2nd string?

Why didn't DA come close to matching his 29 TD season?

Why is our best defensive player a lazy bum from the Lions? Why didn't anyone else in the front 7 play better despite Rogers?

This season is the epitome of bad coaching. Last season may very well have been about over-achieving...but then this season has been the exact opposite.

A good coach could do our team wonders...and it's becoming very apparent that Crennel isn't the guy.

KeiselPower99
11-30-2008, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE=xfl2001fan;485837]We've got talent...it's just piss-poor coached.

How does Braylon/Kellen go from Pro Bowl worthy to not good enough for 2nd string? Dropped balls????

Why didn't DA come close to matching his 29 TD season? See above answer and the fact he had no legit number 2 to throw at. Last year he had Edwards and Jurivicious. This year all he has had is Edwards and Stallworth didnt play til late in the year and Winslow has been out and more of a mouth peice then anything.

Why is our best defensive player a lazy bum from the Lions? Why didn't anyone else in the front 7 play better despite Rogers? Williams got hurt and yall do have a pretty decent front 7 Its your secondary that sucks. Yall got rid of your top 2 corners during the offseason remember.

This season is the epitome of bad coaching. Last season may very well have been about over-achieving...but then this season has been the exact opposite.
You cant go out and buy a championship. If you want bad coaching look in Detroit or San Deigo.

A good coach could do our team wonders...and it's becoming very apparent that Crennel isn't the guy.

If you look inside the facts there are your answers. Stop jumping the gun and admit that its been bad breaks and bad luck more then Romeos fault.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-01-2008, 12:37 AM
No offense, but the "fat and lazy bum" thing about Rogers isn't fair. Guy actually has been playing pretty well for us and has made a few good plays. If there's anyone that deserves to make the pro bowl on this team, its that guy. Dude seemed to have a lot heart, and was pretty pissed off after the Colts loss. I'd love to see what he could do with some actual talent occupying the spaces reserved for linebackers.

We only got rid of one corner (who ended up being a third stringer on the lions), but point well taken, something is going to have to be done about that in the offseason.

I do think one of the reasons is coaching. And Crennel just does not have what it takes to be a head man in the NFL. He's a nice guy that someone like Belichick or Parcells would have talk to the players after they ripped them a new a-hole, and when you don't have at least some what of a passion to win, you aren't going to last long in the NFL. The players walked all over him.

Bad breaks have occured, in fact every game the Browns have played has been a winnable ball game, including week 2 against you guys, but good coaching and strong leadership at least would have prevented us from sliding farther and farther into suckitude, and would have won us some of thos e game. The Browns have neither at this point in time.

Its been a frustrating season to say the least, we have some form of talent on this roster, just no heart, and no leader to lead them.

lilyoder6
12-01-2008, 12:37 AM
i agree with some of the things u said xfl.. but maybe the fact the D.A couldn't match his 29 td total from last yr was due 2 the fact he had a 1 and done.. and was very over-rated in the off-season

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-01-2008, 12:38 AM
i agree with some of the things u said xfl.. but maybe the fact the D.A couldn't match his 29 td total from last yr was due 2 the fact he had a 1 and done.. and was very over-rated in the off-season

So D.A. is sorta like Tommy Maddox's long lost twin?

xfl2001fan
12-01-2008, 07:17 AM
If you look inside the facts there are your answers. Stop jumping the gun and admit that its been bad breaks and bad luck more then Romeos fault.
Bad luck and bad breaks? To some extent, yes. But it's been season long if not seasons long...with last season being an aberration. That shows precedent. What do we have in common with every other season since we came back?

Romeo Crennel (2005-present) 24-36 (.400)
Terrie Robiskie (2004) Interim HC 1-4 (.2)
Butch Davis (2001-2004) HC 24-35 (.405)
Chris Palmer (1999-2000) HC 5-27 (.156)

Last coach that we had who left with a winning record?

Marty Schottenheimer (1984-1988) 44-27 (.620)

Either (as many Cleveland fans...and Rev believes) we are cursed...or we just haven't been able to find a good coach in a looooong time.

No offense, but the "fat and lazy bum" thing about Rogers isn't fair.

Wasn't meant as an actual attack against Rogers...though looking back, I can see why it would be read that way. I should have reworded that entirely. What I was meaning to convey, was that our best player on defense was considered by many experts (and a few armchair experts on this site) to be a "fat and lazy castoff from the Lions."

Personally, I think he's performing despite our coaching staph. He does deserve some strong Pro-Bowl consideration...unfortunately...in the AFC, we've got a very strong cast of DTs to choose from...and he's not playing for a winning team.

KeiselPower99
12-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Didnt Belicheck have a winning record when Modell canned him on the move to Baltimore?

revefsreleets
12-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Savage can stay if he likes...the point is that Cowher would have veto power over his decisions.

Why would the Browns have so much loyalty to Savage anyway? It's not like he's had the greatest drafts ever...and they gave up WAY too much for Quinn, then screwed the pooch by not trading DA when he was still worth a bucket of warm piss.

xfl2001fan
12-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Because, despite his flaws, he's still done some good things as well.

Our offensive line is still one of the better lines in the league, despite the lack of performance from the "skilled" players.

Our defensive line (particularly Rogers) has been playing pretty decently (despite injuries to Robaire Smith and Corey Williams.)

D'Qwell Jackson has played well at ILB.

Our young corners have (overall) played significantly better as the season has progressed.

Nobody drafts perfect. Not the Steelers, Ravens, Colts, Giants or *'s (all of whom are considered amongst the better drafters.)

revefsreleets
12-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I just don't see the correlation. Cowher isn't going to demand the GM job (that has never worked, and he knows that) so there's no reason for Savage to go anywhere unless he has an ego problem and can't work under Cowher.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-01-2008, 02:06 PM
My questions are this:

How loyal is he to Pittsburgh and the Rooneys? And is his daughter still playing basketball at princeton?

those are two roadblocks I see in him re-joining the Dark Side. :)

iloveben7
12-01-2008, 02:14 PM
I hope Cowher coaches in Cleveland, so we can whoop their butts twice a year

KeiselPower99
12-01-2008, 02:19 PM
I was watching All Bets Are Off with Bruce Drenen and he said that they would be better off not going after Cowher.

xfl2001fan
12-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I just don't see the correlation. Cowher isn't going to demand the GM job (that has never worked, and he knows that) so there's no reason for Savage to go anywhere unless he has an ego problem and can't work under Cowher.

I apoligize...I thought I has seen somehwere where you who had said that Cowher would want to be both GM/Coach.

Actually, if Savage sceded some of the staph management duties to Cowher, he might be better off. At this time, he's still more head scout than actual GM and I believe Cowher can handle turning staph management to staff management.

msafford
12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
I apoligize...I thought I has seen somehwere where you who had said that Cowher would want to be both GM/Coach.

Actually, if Savage sceded some of the staph management duties to Cowher, he might be better off. At this time, he's still more head scout than actual GM and I believe Cowher can handle turning staph management to staff management.

:laughing:

Nice suttle reference.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Steve Spagnuolo

I dont know. Spagnolo runs a 4-3 and the Browns have pretty much a lot of 3-4 personell. It would mean blowing up a lot of the defensive front 7 and for that matter you should give K2 a ticket out of town because he is a cancer in that team.

If I am Spagnolo......I want the Rams job instead.

Savage will probably be gone and I like Josh Daniels to come in to work with Quinn if I am a betting man. DA gets traded for a 5th round pick.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2008, 03:36 PM
I hope Cowher coaches in Cleveland, so we can whoop their butts twice a year

Yeah, that would ruin his legacy IMO. Almost like Joe Gibbs coming back and sucking with the Redskins.

fansince'76
12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
How about Jim Mora, Sr.? Sure he's old as dirt, but man, I sure do miss his postgame rants. Comedy gold.

Tie0tz7jGDI Qwq7BYOnDrM

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

xfl2001fan
12-02-2008, 05:45 AM
I dont know. Spagnolo runs a 4-3 and the Browns have pretty much a lot of 3-4 personell. It would mean blowing up a lot of the defensive front 7 and for that matter you should give K2 a ticket out of town because he is a cancer in that team.

If I am Spagnolo......I want the Rams job instead.

Savage will probably be gone and I like Josh Daniels to come in to work with Quinn if I am a betting man. DA gets traded for a 5th round pick.

Actually, I believe our personnel match a 4-3 defense much more.

DTs, Rogers, R. Smith, S. Smith (for a decent rotation).

DEs Alex Hall, K. Wimbley on the weak side, Corey Williams and (possibly) W. McGinnest on the strong side.

Andre Davis would still likely be our MLB with D. Jackson posssibly taking the strong side. We may have Alex Hall be our Weakside LB instead of a DE...

Our front four should be able to generate it's own pressure in that scenario (which Spagnolo loves!!!)

revefsreleets
12-02-2008, 09:47 AM
I think the rampant denial is pretty comical.

The other "intangible" of bringing in Cowher (well, it's actually twofold) is it shows the fans that management is deadly serious about winning, and it also gets the fans off their back. The fans in Cleveland are not happy right now...they cheered DA's injury. I heard a "joke" on a local radio station that the only way to fix the Browns is the "Marshall U Plan". Classless? Sure, but it IS, after all, Cleveland, and the fans are bordering on mutiny. A Cowher hiring fixes all that in one fell swoop.

TackleMeBen
12-02-2008, 10:00 AM
How about Jim Mora, Sr.? Sure he's old as dirt, but man, I sure do miss his postgame rants. Comedy gold.

Tie0tz7jGDI Qwq7BYOnDrM

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
:iagree: i loved the one about playoffs..that is classic:chuckle:

The_WARDen
12-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah, that would ruin his legacy IMO. Almost like Joe Gibbs coming back and sucking with the Redskins.

a very big almost...Cowher was nowhere near the coach that Gibbs was during his heyday.

lilyoder6
12-02-2008, 10:05 AM
i thought that willie mcginest is going 2 retire at the end of the yr...

they have the right peices in the front 7 but they need to find someone in the sec...

and lets see how dorsey does 4 the rest of the yr!!

fansince'76
12-02-2008, 10:46 AM
:iagree: i loved the one about playoffs..that is classic:chuckle:

Mora Sr. MUST get another NFL coaching gig soon - preferably with a really bad team. I miss his rants! "We SUCK!" :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
12-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Mora Sr. MUST get another NFL coaching gig soon - preferably with a really bad team. I miss his rants! "We SUCK!" :chuckle:
well i am pretty sure that the lions job will be open at the end of the season :wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2008, 11:03 AM

Then the Browns would be the perfect fit...he could recycle his rants!!!!...playoffs!!!!...PLAYOFFS???

CB1977
12-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I would hate to see Cowher go to Cleveland and ruin his legacy with a bunch of losers that they have. They need a good QB. Need a running back. They need a WR who doesn't drop balls. They need a TE who isn't a jerk. I could go on and on.

He was here once. Didn't seem to do him any harm. :coffee:

Bring on the chin! Cleveland needs him!!!

MACH1
12-02-2008, 11:14 AM
He was here once. Didn't seem to do him any harm. :coffee:

Bring on the chin! Cleveland needs him!!!

NEVERRRRR!!!!!!!!!

fansince'76
12-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Cowher was nowhere near the coach that Gibbs was during his heyday.

Gotta agree - any guy that can win a SB with Mark Rypien under center is a miracle worker.

CB1977
12-02-2008, 01:56 PM
NEVERRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Did I hit a nerve??!! :wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Actually, I believe our personnel match a 4-3 defense much more.

DTs, Rogers, R. Smith, S. Smith (for a decent rotation).

DEs Alex Hall, K. Wimbley on the weak side, Corey Williams and (possibly) W. McGinnest on the strong side.

Andre Davis would still likely be our MLB with D. Jackson posssibly taking the strong side. We may have Alex Hall be our Weakside LB instead of a DE...

Our front four should be able to generate it's own pressure in that scenario (which Spagnolo loves!!!)

I agree that Wimbley is a good 4-3 DE prospect, but Williams at his size would need to play DT as would Rogers. Those 3 would be the start of a good run stuffing line up the middle, but Wimbley would get manhandled by OT's in the run game, and the 2 DT's couldnt play in pass situations without needing oxygen all the time.

Cowher would bring a 3-4 D and focus on the run game. McDaniels would probably recruit a 3-4 D coach or keep the current defensive coord. and look to improve the offense and clean house of the bad seeds. Got the nucleus of a good team, but eventually they all realize.........WE....ARE......CLEVELAND!!! :puke:

The_WARDen
12-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Gotta agree - any guy that can win a SB with Mark Rypien under center is a miracle worker.

Now, had Cowher actually pulled it off with Kordell? I may have had a different opinion.

:laughing:

KeiselPower99
12-02-2008, 02:52 PM

The other "intangible" of bringing in Cowher (well, it's actually twofold) is it shows the fans that management is deadly serious about winning, and it also gets the fans off their back. The fans in Cleveland are not happy right now...they cheered DA's injury. I heard a "joke" on a local radio station that the only way to fix the Browns is the "Marshall U Plan". Classless? Sure, but it IS, after all, Cleveland, and the fans are bordering on mutiny. A Cowher hiring fixes all that in one fell swoop.

I do find that offensive and very classless. Not suprisingly it did come from Cleveland.

The_WARDen
12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I do find that offensive and very classless. Not suprisingly it did come from Cleveland.

You all do realize that Pittsburgh did the same thing to Bradshaw right?

:noidea:

xfl2001fan
12-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I agree that Wimbley is a good 4-3 DE prospect, but Williams at his size would need to play DT as would Rogers. Those 3 would be the start of a good run stuffing line up the middle, but Wimbley would get manhandled by OT's in the run game, and the 2 DT's couldnt play in pass situations without needing oxygen all the time.

Williams wouldn't be bad as a strong side DE (hence having him at LE.) Still, he's a pretty decent pass rushing DT...and so could be Rogers replacement when he get's winded. Then you have one Smith replace the other as the primary run stuffer for a nice 4-DT rotation going on.

Wimbley being out done in the run game is exactly why I'd place him on the weakside. Possibly have Alex Hall as our WLB or weakside DE with Wimbley being the weakside LB.

Then have Davis in the middle with Jackson playing strong side. Now our concern is strongside DE.

Thank you. You give speculation...however reasoned...and nothing more.

I heard a "joke" on a local radio station that the only way to fix the Browns is the "Marshall U Plan".

Sad...sick...reprehensible. Pick your adjective...multiply it by a 1000...and you still aren't close.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-02-2008, 03:52 PM
My one friend gave a reason that's actually kind of good on why he doesn't really want Cowher as bad as some people.

After Cowher won Super Bowl XL, he kind of mailed it in through the 2006 season. Then he resigned.

What's to make anyone think that if he were to win a Super Bowl with the Browns, that the same thing wouldn't happen.

My friend's plan would be to hire Marty Schottenheimer and have him rebuild the team. He'd probally bring his son (who's name escapes me) in as offensive coordinator/assitant head coach. Marty, if he can bring the team back to a competitive status might retire at the end of his contract. You name his son the Head Coach in Waiting. That brings hope for now, and a longevity with his son becoming the head coach when Marty rides off into the sunset.

KeiselPower99
12-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Bruce and he is the OC for the Jets,

KeiselPower99
12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
By the way whatever happened to Ron Rivera being a cant miss HC is waiting?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
What's to make anyone think that if he were to win a Super Bowl with the Browns, that the same thing wouldn't happen.

Wow

IMO, I dont see him winning a super bowl for us....I see him getting us at least to respectability, and then handing the gig to an assistant. If we did ever make it to the promised land, just...I can't even imagine that..

RoethlisBURGHer
12-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Wow

IMO, I dont see him winning a super bowl for us....I see him getting us at least to respectability, and then handing the gig to an assistant. If we did ever make it to the promised land, just...I can't even imagine that..

The furthest the Browns would make it is the AFC Championship game...then lose to the Broncos in the final minutes.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-02-2008, 04:39 PM
The furthest the Browns would make it is the AFC Championship game...then lose to the Broncos in the final minutes.

:flap:

At this point I might even take that over what we currently have.

I still think cleveland breaks the curse, hopefully with LBJ and the Cavs. I'm praying for that every night. :wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
He is hanging out with the "Russ Grimm should have got the Steelers job" fans. :wink:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-02-2008, 04:54 PM
:flap:

I still think cleveland breaks the curse, hopefully with LBJ and the Cavs. I'm praying for that every night. :wink02: Dont pray to Jesus (Shuttlesworth), because he, Pierce and KG aint hearin' any of that pipe dream.

fansince'76
12-02-2008, 05:31 PM

Have you seen SD's defense lately?

Big D
12-02-2008, 07:13 PM
What is more likely to happen???? cowher going to cleveland or me scoring with angelina jolie?

KeiselPower99
12-03-2008, 08:01 AM
What is more likely to happen???? cowher going to cleveland or me scoring with angelina jolie?

Can I answer that one for ya??? As for Rivera I dont think a guy can go from Dc of a Super Bowl team to crap just like that can he?? San Deigos D is more Cottrells fault.

revefsreleets
12-03-2008, 08:04 AM
The Cavs gave all Boston could handle last year, and that was without Mo Williams. If Cleveland is EVER going to win a championship, it'll be the Cavs this year.

By the by, I have CBS Media loge seats tonight against the Knicks...my chick has sweet media connects throughout the whole Cleveland market. Rock on!

xfl2001fan
12-03-2008, 09:28 AM
The Cavs gave all Boston could handle last year, and that was without Mo Williams. If Cleveland is EVER going to win a championship, it'll be the Cavs this year.

By the by, I have CBS Media loge seats tonight against the Knicks...my chick has sweet media connects throughout the whole Cleveland market. Rock on!

Now I'm truly jealous! I know my Aunt will be at that game tonight...(she's been a season ticket holder for nearly 10 years now). Unfortunately I haven't been able to work my schedule (or budget...it is Christmas afterall) into this.