View Full Version : Welker, Patriots feel wrath -- pain -- of Steelers football

mesaSteeler
11-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Welker, Patriots feel wrath -- pain -- of Steelers football
Nov. 30, 2008
By Mike Freeman
CBSSports.com National Columnist
http://www.sportsline.com/print/nfl/story/11143041/rss

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- You could see it coming. You knew that Wes Welker was just seconds away from losing his senses, his head or both.

As Welker approached the middle of the field while running a crossing route, Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark had a radar lock on him. The pass to Welker was thrown slightly in front of him, leaving Welker more than slightly vulnerable. Clark was going to take advantage of the dangerous throw by Matt Cassel.

Clark put a hit on Welker that caused anyone who saw it to violently gasp. Welker looked like one of those boardwalk whack-a-mole games. His body crumbled to the ground, and how he was able to walk away from the hit is a testament to the toughness and malleability of the human body. The hit was brutal, nasty and frightening.

But it wasn't dirty.

It was football.

Clark was penalized for the hit by game officials -- he shouldn't have been -- and he'll likely be fined by the league. But the hit wasn't dirty. It was intimidating and facemask-bending, but it wasn't dirty.

"It wasn't like I was trying to be cheap," Clark said. "Anybody that comes across (the middle) it's my job to tackle them. The ball got tipped, but (the official) said I shouldn't have left my feet. I didn't know how to control that. I talked to (Patriots running back) Kevin Faulk and apologized. I couldn't find Welker after the game to tell him I wasn't trying to be dirty."

There was no need to apologize to anybody. Don't be a wuss.

The Steelers won, 33-10, in an ugly game played mostly in a steady rain. That's the good news for Pittsburgh. The Steelers are clearly one of the premier teams of the league. They established that fact with a convincing victory over a solid Patriots team.

But the Steelers also are likely to inspire another round of questions about their style of play after the Welker hit and another hit witnessed by me that many people didn't notice.

Thus all of this leads to a question. Does Pittsburgh play dirty?

My answer? Hell, no. But dirty appears to be in the eye of the observer.

Many people will say the Steelers play cheap after the hit on Welker is dissected and discussed.

Yet just because the hit was violent doesn't mean it was dirty. Nor was it excessive.

It was football.

Remember what that is?

There was a similar play in the game few likely spotted that involved another Steelers player, this one accused of crossing the line in the past, wide receiver Hines Ward.

In the second quarter, Ward was in the slot position, on the right side of the field. After the ball was snapped he traversed across the grain and zeroed in on an unsuspecting Brandon Meriweather, the safety for the Patriots, who was providing run support.

Meriweather didn't see the receiver barreling down until it was too late. Ward knew this. He increased his speed and bashed an unprepared Meriweather up high. Meriweather was knocked to the ground and looked to be momentarily stunned and after the play exchanged words with Ward.

"Ward is the best in the league at making you pay when you're not paying attention," Meriweather said. "That's his reputation."

Was it dirty?

"It wasn't dirty," Meriweather said. "It's just part of the game."

The play was not so different from the one where Ward cracked back on Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers in a game in October. The hit led to Rivers suffering a broken jaw.

"That's what he's known for," Bengals safety Chinedum Ndukwe said at the time about Ward. "You expect that coming in. People are going to take their shots when they can. Too bad he can't hit someone face up. It's too bad he has to wait until he's not looking to get him. It's unfortunate. It's the type of guy he is. That's all right. We play them again. He's a blind-side guy."

He is a blind-side guy.

But as Meriweather said, that's not dirty. It's borderline. It's angering. It gets opposing teams and opposing fans riled up, but it's not dirty.

When you play the Steelers, you know it's coming. So just be ready for it.

And stop crying.

So are the Steelers dirty?

Hell, no. But let the debate begin.

Or rather, let the debate continue.

(I know the answer. The PatsiCheat defense should all wear nice, cute, little pink dresses and hair ribbions. (Paraphrasing the great Lambert). If the crybaby PatsiWussy's can't handle the Steelers then let them play soccer. - mesa)

XxKnightxX
11-30-2008, 09:33 PM
I seriously think that the Steelers are the only ones keeping the physical integrity of the game alive, and I seriously hope that they dont change at all or get intimidated by that grasshole goodell. I seriously hope the coaches and league put heat on this, because this was the year of the omg he hit me too hard give me money year.

PisnNapalm
11-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Excellent article. Thanks for posting.

X-Terminator
11-30-2008, 09:36 PM
The Steelers prefer to kick the shit out of you than try to be cute and fancy, and the rest of the league can't handle it. That's all it boils down to. Instead of whining to the media and the league, do something about it on the field, or take your ass whoopin' like a man.

mesaSteeler
11-30-2008, 09:52 PM
The Steelers prefer to kick the shit out of you than try to be cute and fancy, and the rest of the league can't handle it. That's all it boils down to. Instead of whining to the media and the league, do something about it on the field, or take your ass whoopin' like a man.

Couldn't agree more. I'm sure the PatsCheat whoosies will be whining. Since the PatsiCheat's have the corrupt totally Goodell on a leash I'm concerned he may suspend some Steelers.

Pittsky
11-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Great article. thanks!

mesaSteeler
11-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Glad yuins liked it. I thought it was pretty good myself.

Steelers & I
11-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Ryan Clark has been rocking opposing players quite a bit this season. I think that Anthony Smith has passed his hard hitting on to Clark. :banging::banging::banging:

steelreserve
11-30-2008, 11:08 PM
If anyone gets fined for that play, it should be Welker, for being a f***ing vagina and not finishing the play. I hope he's missing some teeth, because that's what you get.

markymarc
11-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Great article Mesa and thanks for posting. Here is my biggest complaint. The ball is tipped and if Welker still makes the catch and runs in for a TD, do the Cheaters get penalized for playing aggressive? Hell no. Clark did his job and that is total B.S he got flagged. And the penalty explanation was lame by Ed. The ball was tipped right to the side of Welker and he still could have caught the ball. Another terrible call by Ed and company. Clark will be lighter in the pocket, but I loved the statement hit. Great job Ryan.

jjpro11
11-30-2008, 11:43 PM
its pretty simple.. clark got flagged because he hit welker too hard.. if he merely pushed him out of the way, no flag.. but because clark made a big scary hit on a little wide receiver, the refs panicked and did what they do best.. throw the flag.

the league is so full of shit anymore regarding hitting, they dont even know the rules anymore themselves.. tonight gus frerotte got hit probably 2-3 full seconds after he threw the ball from behind of all places.. now, he may have embellished a bit after he hit the ground.. but it was clearly cheap and wasnt called. yet i see guys getting flagged for merely hitting a qb and landing on top of them a split second after they release the ball.. wtf?

Preacher
12-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Great article Mesa and thanks for posting. Here is my biggest complaint. The ball is tipped and if Welker still makes the catch and runs in for a TD, do the Cheaters get penalized for playing aggressive? Hell no. Clark did his job and that is total B.S he got flagged. And the penalty explanation was lame by Ed. The ball was tipped right to the side of Welker and he still could have caught the ball. Another terrible call by Ed and company. Clark will be lighter in the pocket, but I loved the statement hit. Great job Ryan.

its pretty simple.. clark got flagged because he hit welker too hard.. if he merely pushed him out of the way, no flag.. but because clark made a big scary hit on a little wide receiver, the refs panicked and did what they do best.. throw the flag.

the league is so full of shit anymore regarding hitting, they dont even know the rules anymore themselves.. tonight gus frerotte got hit probably 2-3 full seconds after he threw the ball from behind of all places.. now, he may have embellished a bit after he hit the ground.. but it was clearly cheap and wasnt called. yet i see guys getting flagged for merely hitting a qb and landing on top of them a split second after they release the ball.. wtf?

Let's come back to reality people.

That is NOT why he was flagged.

He was flagged because he launched into the guy, turning himself into a projectile against a receiver that was not looking. IF HE KEPT HIS FEET ON THE GROUND, then it is not a penalty.

He LEFT HIS FEET, thus it WAS a penalty.

Rewind to last week. Santo got DRILLED by a LB that came across VERY hard, but DIDN'T leave his feet when he hit Santo. Thus, no penalty.

Steelman16
12-01-2008, 12:19 AM

And, by Jove, it was worth every inch of those penalty yards! :tt02:

lilyoder6
12-01-2008, 12:26 AM
but going back 2 yrs ago and the hit brown had on bush.. he left his feet and there was no penalty.. i just think that sometimes that momentum will take the legs off the ground

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
12-01-2008, 12:28 AM
the steelers are the only team in the NFL still playing smash mouth football

and maybe joey porter, but we all know where he came from

Steelers & I
12-01-2008, 12:59 AM
might as well post gif here too, cant get enough

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr175/gosteelers4life/steelers/welkerowned.gif

If you look real close, you can see the gas passing from Welker's A$$, lol.

Dodt
12-01-2008, 01:13 AM
great read.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-01-2008, 02:48 AM
Let's come back to reality people.

From a physics standpoint, wouldn't the hit have had more force if he didn't leave his feet and thus more brutal?

The NFL is becoming so sissified it is getting unbearable. This isn't touch football.

Hines0wnz
12-01-2008, 03:00 AM
Stupid DBs bitchin about Hines lighting them up when they can blindside hit any WR as they make a reception legally. Its part of the game and any coach should have taught you to keep your head on a swivel during the game.

OX1947
12-01-2008, 03:20 AM
God, I have been waiting for someone to do that to that little **** the last 2 years. I went nuts and didn't give two craps about it. I love Ryan Clark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Galax Steeler
12-01-2008, 03:42 AM
Nice article I didn't think the hit was dirty we was just playing some nasty deffense hard hitting football.

stillers4me
12-01-2008, 04:48 AM
I love me some Steelers football!! :tt02:

Great article........written by someone who obviously loves and understands the game.

klick81
12-01-2008, 11:23 AM

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr175/gosteelers4life/steelers/welkerowned.gif

Thanks for posting this. So looking at this clip, it is obvious that he did not "launch" himself at Welker. His feet are still planted and do not leave the ground until the two players collide. How is Clark supposed to avoid that???

I call BULLSHIT.

memphissteelergirl
12-01-2008, 11:58 AM

:applaudit: Well said!

And I say the hit was not dirty.....pretty intense, but not dirty.
I agree with klick...Clark couldn't exactly stop in mid-air, could he???

DACEB
12-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for posting this. So looking at this clip, it is obvious that he did not "launch" himself at Welker. His feet are still planted and do not leave the ground until the two players collide. How is Clark supposed to avoid that???

I call BULLSHIT.

Same here! The tipped pass has always been a dangerous situation for WRs. That was a great hit! I also feel that Clark did not launch himself into Welker, he definetly didn't go helmet to helmet. Great hit, don't be deterred Ryan, do it again if the situation presents itself!

steelpride12
12-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Mack Truck.

The_WARDen
12-01-2008, 01:36 PM
It was great hit period!

Ronnie Lott would be ashamed to play in a league where those kind of hits are even questioned...

:helmet:

Hines0wnz
12-01-2008, 06:04 PM
God, I have been waiting for someone to do that to that little **** the last 2 years. I went nuts and didn't give two craps about it. I love Ryan Clark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked it too and it pretty much deflated the other WRs for the rest of the game.

Who would want to go over the middle after that hit? :wink02:

steelwall
12-01-2008, 06:14 PM

Thats not making himself a projectile, he's a more like an ICBM there. Hello and goodnight...

steelreserve
12-01-2008, 06:57 PM
It was great hit period!

Ronnie Lott would be ashamed to play in a league where those kind of hits are even questioned...

:helmet:

Seriously. Even 10-15 years ago, to be a late hit, it had to be blatantly out of bounds or well after the whistle had been blown. To be a dirty hit on a "defenseless receiver", you pretty much had to nail a guy right in the back who had stopped trying because he was nowhere near the ball.

There was none of this horseshit where you get whistled for being too rough while the ball is still in play, or you get called for a late hit when a guy barely stepped on the out of bounds line and is still going forward like he's trying to gain yards.

Anyway, here's a video of about 50 vicious hits from the 80s and earlier. They'd probably call every one of them penalties today (even though a few of them are admittedly facemasks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ8eHXFrnQ0

steelerallstar
12-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Loved the article....but it made me a little angry because I know that Clark will probably be fined by the league for a "legit" hit... Stan Savran said that he thought the hit was "illegal"...I thought it was late, but only because Clark did not have time to pull up...and also he did not see the ball get tipped.....

BlackAndGold4Ever
12-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Great article, and jaysee thanks for posting that clip. I stared at it for 5min straight and I swear it got better and harder each time. I don't think there he should have been flagged but whatever, it was well worth the penalty yards. In the new kinder and gentler NFL its awesome to see the the Steelers still playing balls to the wall smash mouth Old School football

Murabma
12-01-2008, 09:43 PM
If only Roger Goodell wasnt such die hard Steeler-Hater

...and don't forget, he's clearly a Cheatriot* lover, too, to boot, so Clark better bring a big check signing pen. Still, it was worth it to see the Patsies* get crushed. Thanks for providing me (and all other Bills fans) with the only positive football news yesterday.....

The Patriot
12-01-2008, 09:52 PM
...and don't forget, he's clearly a Cheatriot* lover, too, to boot, so Clark better bring a big check signing pen. Still, it was worth it to see the Patsies* get crushed. Thanks for providing me (and all other Bills fans) with the only positive football news yesterday.....

Here's a model of the Bills' 2008 season.

http://dumbonyc.com/images/blog/teardrop_park_slide.jpg

WEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

stillers4me
12-01-2008, 10:09 PM

WEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Kind of reminds of the Pattywankers* season.

The Patriot
12-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Kind of reminds of the Pattywankers* season.

Our slide's longer.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Our slide's longer.

I think someone just cut your slide short.

markymarc
12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
If only Roger Goodell wasnt such die hard Steeler-Hater

No kidding. Really sad to see how bad Goodell has been since the whole spygate incident.

TheWarDen86
12-02-2008, 08:36 PM

WEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

:laughing:

Our slide's longer.

And the one in San Diego is longer yet.