PDA

View Full Version : William Gay played well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I still didnt see McFadden and Gay got the cover assignment of Gaffney most of the day from what I saw. He played pretty well, IMO. I have thought of him as the next Townsend....a guy that doesnt have the speed, but plays smart and with instincts. I think he is ahead of the learning curve in his 2nd season.

If the Steelers can re-sign McFadden, then going forward with Taylor, McFadden, Gay and Roy Lewis, might not be a bad young group.

The Duke
12-01-2008, 10:57 AM
I knew you'd start to like Gay :chuckle:

But really, he played well

BMac was out again. I'm already thinking he'll be gone next year. I heard his agent advised him not to play, obviously not to risk an injury when his big contract is coming

Maybe I'm seeing too much into it, but that doesn't seem like team work to me

Anyway....Ike, Gay, Lewis sounds great for the future. With possibly a 1st-3rd round CB coming in the next 2 years

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2008, 11:15 AM
I knew you'd start to like Gay :chuckle:

But really, he played well

BMac was out again. I'm already thinking he'll be gone next year. I heard his agent advised him not to play, obviously not to risk an injury when his big contract is coming

Maybe I'm seeing too much into it, but that doesn't seem like team work to me

Anyway....Ike, Gay, Lewis sounds great for the future. With possibly a 1st-3rd round CB coming in the next 2 years

I always did like Gay...."not that there's anything wrong with him" :wink: I just like him better as a nickel corner instead of a guy on the island. I think Lewis is similarly a nickel corner prospect.

I can see the Steelers making contract pitches to B-Mac, Kemo and Starks(which I still dont like), so I think its a good possibility McFadden remains a Steeler.

XxKnightxX
12-01-2008, 11:19 AM
well whos bmacs agent? rosenhaus, so hell be feeding things into his head, but i think the steelers will try to re sign him,but i think they are holding him off until next weeks game with the cowboys to match up with willaims and TO and crayton.

steeltheone
12-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Gay stood out in his rookie year preseason. Always seems to be in the right spot ala Darren Perry

DACEB
12-01-2008, 11:25 AM
We have quite a few young up and comers on D. Gay is an extremely solid tackler as well.

Sharkissle29
12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
if we dont sign mcfadden, that will be a huge mistake....

lilyoder6
12-01-2008, 12:57 PM
i thought roy lewis got cut... unless i was in a stupor when i thought of that... but gay has been playing good... and i honestly think that b-mac not playing is hurting his chances of getting that big paid day

steelpride12
12-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Gay caught my eye last season as a player with potential. He now has been our nickle corner and is playing well.
I feel about Townsend retires or leaves the Steelers Gay will take the second string job, because B-Mac does a great job at the nickle coverage.

Steelman16
12-01-2008, 02:04 PM
i thought roy lewis got cut... unless i was in a stupor when i thought of that... but gay has been playing good... and i honestly think that b-mac not playing is hurting his chances of getting that big paid day

We cut Roy Lewis in order to sign Dookie. :doh:

Sharkissle29
12-01-2008, 02:11 PM
We cut Roy Lewis in order to sign Dookie. :doh:

and we just cut dookie to sign paxson.

Preacher
12-02-2008, 12:33 AM
I am actually pretty happy with his development.

Let's hope he continues. It sure would be nice to have 3 good younger (ish) CB's on this team.

Galax Steeler
12-02-2008, 03:36 AM
Gay has come a long ways he will have a future with the steelers for years.

markymarc
12-02-2008, 06:41 PM
William Gay has definitely performed very well in his starting opportunities. I also think Roy Lewis could be pretty solid down the road. I would really hate to lose McFadden in the off season and think he should be our #1 signing priority. Tomlin has done a really nice job elevating the play of Ike and develop players like McFadden and Gay.

steelreserve
12-02-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm all for keeping him around, and McFadden too, if we can.

Way I see it, we have about $11 million coming free when Starks and Smith's contracts run out, probably another $6 or $7 million from the regular salary cap increase, and maybe $2 or $3 million depending on what we do about Batch and Washington. Then you have some assorted role players who probably amount to a couple million who we may or may not bring back.

So we've got $20 million-plus to sign our free agents and next year's rookies. The only absolutely key free agents I see coming up for a contract are McFadden and (depending on how you look at it) Starks and Kemo. So we ought to have a good shot at keeping whoever we feel we need to.

Seems like next year is going to be the one for some tough decisions. If I'm not mistaken, that year Hampton comes up (no replacement yet), along with Parker (good riddance). Of course, after that, who knows if there'll even be a salary cap?

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-02-2008, 08:19 PM
So we've got $20 million-plus to sign our free agents and next year's rookies. The only absolutely key free agents I see coming up for a contract are McFadden and (depending on how you look at it) Starks and Kemo. So we ought to have a good shot at keeping whoever we feel we need to.

I would like to see a real effort at keeping McFadden, tender Kemo a reasonable offer and let Starks go to instead sign another free agent OT, like St. Clair, Stinchcomb or Columbo.

If McFadden signs with the Steelers, then he, Ike, Townsend, Gay and Roy Lewis are a decent group with only Townsend being over the hill. It would allow us to draft OT, OG, DE, NT, or WR in the first 3 rounds.

stillers4me
12-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Isn't Harrison on his last contract year next year? We really, really need to lock him up. Pay the man.

lilyoder6
12-02-2008, 08:24 PM
with deshea getting up there in age i would like b-mac 2 stay,.,, then if he does then we wouldn't rly have to wry bout db's

tony hipchest
12-02-2008, 08:43 PM
everyone seems proud of how gay has played with limited experience.

nice to see all the gay pride. :chuckle:

:tt02: just with the salary cap increase and smith and starks salaries alone, will free up 20+ mil (and were also cleared of about 3-4 mil of dead money from this season.

mcfadden is a top priority, but i think ryan clark and heath miller are just as big. then kemo (spaeth needs an extension too.)

with woodley and harrison close to a big raise and with plaxico incident and santonio's third "strike" (plus potential no cap) im guessing '10 will be holmes' last year in pittsburgh. what we do with nate should be a good indicator.

NJarhead
12-02-2008, 08:49 PM
everyone seems proud of how gay has played with limited experience.

nice to see all the gay pride. :chuckle:

:tt02: just with the salary cap increase and smith and starks salaries alone, will free up 20+ mil (and were also cleared of about 3-4 mil of dead money from this season.

mcfadden is a top priority, but i think ryan clark and heath miller are just as big. then kemo (spaeth needs an extension too.)

with woodley and harrison close to a big raise and with plaxico incident and santonio's third "strike" (plus potential no cap) im guessing '10 will be holmes' last year in pittsburgh. what we do with nate should be a good indicator.

Well, as a Lib, you should be happy. OH DAMN! :chuckle:

tony hipchest
12-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Well, as a Lib, you should be happy. OH DAMN! :chuckle:

nope. gay marriage is for massholes :flap:

NJarhead
12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
nope. gay marriage is for massholes :flap:

......must......resist....."chowda"......joke..... :chuckle:

tony hipchest
12-02-2008, 09:07 PM
......must......resist....."chowda"......joke..... :chuckle:especially since Eric Manchowda now coaches the Jets. :sofunny:

NJarhead
12-02-2008, 09:12 PM
especially since Eric Manchowda now coaches the Jets. :sofunny:

I think you mean the New York Brets. :chuckle: