PDA

View Full Version : Difference between this year and last year?

Edman
12-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Remember, at this point last year the Steelers were at 9-3. Before proceeding to collapse down the stretch to finish 10-6. The Run Defense crumbled. And the Offense was beginning to fade. The following weeks they were blown out by the Patriots, and were literally ran over by Jacksonville, another Pittsburgh nemesis at home.

Now, one year later, the Steelers are once again 9-3.

Is there any difference between now and then?

HereWeGoSteelers219
12-01-2008, 04:58 PM
We are a lot healthier right now. The only injuries we have are Brett Keisel and Marvel Smith, assuming McFadden returns this week. Also, we have much better depth than we did last year.

PisnNapalm
12-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Confidence.... They have it this year.

Lamarr Woodley has upped his game big time. Hell, the whole defense is playing out of their minds. I love it!

Polamalu is healthy. Ben is reasonably healthy. He's not being dinged quite as much as last year.

Makaveli
12-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Remember, at this point last year the Steelers were at 9-3. Before proceeding to collapse down the stretch to finish 10-6. The Run Defense crumbled. And the Offense was beginning to fade. The following weeks they were blown out by the Patriots, and were literally ran over by Jacksonville, another Pittsburgh nemesis at home.

Now, one year later, the Steelers are once again 9-3.

Is there any difference between now and then?

A healthy Troy Polamalu (FIGHT ON), Big Deisel (Aaron) Lamar Woodley, Ike Taylor ballin and silverback "playing lights out".

Ricco Suavez
12-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Last year we had a good defense, but we gave up late game drives to lose games like Denver, Jets, and Jags. I have much more confidence in this years version. Plus we lost FWP , Aaron Smith, Ryan Clark, and a banged-up Troy. Now I've seen improvement in our offense especially our play calling that seems to have taken some pressure from our Line and Ben. If we can run a little better on obvious short yardage situations, and see Ben throw with more confidence(do not make throws like the first series yesterday) I can see us go far in the playoffs. The real measuring stick will be the next three weeks.

steelpride12
12-01-2008, 05:25 PM
having Troy healthy believe it or not has made a huge difference for our defense.
Plus last season our defense fell apart at the end of the season where this season they have only grown stronger each game and having youngsters like Timmons and Woodley getting playing time and doing well helps alot.

The Duke
12-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Injuries

Troy was banged up, clark was out. then aaron smith and marvel got hurt during that stretch

fansince'76
12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Where to start - as other folks have pointed out, and most importantly, injuries. Emergence of Woodley (big upgrade over Haggans' play from last year) and Troy is finally back to his '04-'05 form. To top it off, we're winning on the road (which we didn't do a whole lot of last year). I also don't get the impression now of the team being gassed (particularly on D) like I did at this point last year, which points to Tomlin being a little wiser in how he conducted TC this year as opposed to last.

LambertIsGod58
12-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Defense is better IMO...which has already been pointed out. They are plain stingy!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2008, 06:01 PM
'76 has covered all the bases on Defense and coaching.

Offensively, we have the same injuries and inability to convert on 3rd and short yardage. At least the prospects of FWP being back are good.....but I still think our achilles heel will be not being able to convert 3rd and 2 or shorter.

The Jags in the playoffs last season were able to gamble on 4th down a couple times and convert behind Jones-Drew and that O line. We still dont seem to have that ability.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Troy Polamalu is healthy.

Ryan Clark is healthy.

Aaron Smith is healthy.

We have an excellent pass rush from all of our linebackers, something we didn't have last year because Haggans was average at best when it came to rushing the passer.

We have depth among the defensive line and in the run game, which is keeping guys fresh.

tony hipchest
12-01-2008, 09:03 PM
since most bases have been covered, i'll add special teams even though the loss of sepelveda has been significant. teams just dont look at returning against us as a scoring opportunity any more more. they look at it as a chance to get their heads knocked off.

how many fumbles have we lost? i think none by our rb's and maybe 1 or 2 by ben. wr's and returners have been great at holding onto the ball.

tomlin was given some shit for bringing in mahan, and timmons. what an unheralded crop of FA's, this year, with moore, hartwig, and fox. bringing back madison and russell was huge too. 6 tomlin guys who are solid contributors.

not enough can be said about smith, troy, and clark.

Stlrs4Life
12-01-2008, 09:12 PM
A healthy Aaron Smith is another reason.

steeltheone
12-01-2008, 09:14 PM
The next step is getting Timmons on the field more. Foote is very average. Timmons is a game changer!

Hapa
12-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Health and pass rush

Pidots55
12-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Hartwig over Mahan is another great improvement. I also think that Stapleton is plating much better than struggling Simmons

the DL's backups are also playing much better. They are capable of playing at a very good level and are keeping our startes fresh

B-Mac has become a much better CB than Townsend was last year. William Gay is also playing at a high level

last year we lost Parker due to overuse. We might not see that this year as Mewelde Moore is rotating with Parker. Keeping Parker fresh to the post season will be huge

NYC SteelersFan
12-01-2008, 10:38 PM
If the Defense was a 7 out of 10 last year, it's a 12 out of 10 this year. A healthy Polamalu makes a huge difference, scares a lot of teams and forces them to prepare their offensive game plan far differently than if Polamalu wasn't playing or was playing very hurt.

As good as the defense was last year, as others have pointed out, they single handedly (without the Pittsburgh offense turning it over in the opponents territory) gave up game-winning drives to Arizona, Denver and Jacksonville. This years defense is an offense's worst nightmare. However I do feel that our offense in worse than last years.

BrandonCarr39
12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
We are a lot healthier right now. The only injuries we have are Brett Keisel and Marvel Smith, assuming McFadden returns this week. Also, we have much better depth than we did last year.

That was the big difference b/w the Giants of '07 and '06-it wasn't so much they had lots of explosive personalities in their locker room who didn't like Coughlin, but they not only had significant injuries, but the most key ones as well-their defensive captain(Strahan), Eli's safety valve(Toomer), Eli's bodyguard(Luke Pettigout), their WLB, and their other DEs(Osi/Tuck) missed significant time as well.

They still had quality depth, but you just can't replace a player who has a big voice on the team like Strahan nor your LT and expect to keep winning. While they had their fair share of injuries last year, luckily, they weren't their best players, and they had backups who were able to do good jobs.

TailgateMel
12-01-2008, 10:56 PM
A healthy Aaron Smith is another reason.

I think that is a HUGE reason... esp for the run D.. .Jax ran all over us..

we need to go into the playoffs on an UP swing rather than limping in like last year

Mel

WWIIOwheelz
12-01-2008, 11:15 PM
The synergy between Lamar Woodley and James Harrison is a very big part of the reason the defense has taken it to another level this year. It's been a beautiful thing to watch, and I can honestly say that I enjoy watching our defense put on a show more than the offense.

NYC SteelersFan
12-01-2008, 11:28 PM
The synergy between Lamar Woodley and James Harrison is a very big part of the reason the defense has taken it to another level this year. It's been a beautiful thing to watch, and I can honestly say that I enjoy watching our defense put on a show more than the offense.

Definitely enjoy watching the defense more than the offense also. It's kind of like the same feeling you get when you watch an explosive offense and you just know something big is going to happen, well our offense doesn't provide that. But when I watch the defense, I get this exhilarating and tingly feeling that someone on the opponents team is going to feel horrible pain.