PDA

View Full Version : Nice Jack Lambert story

mesaSteeler
12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
From Peter King's MMQB
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/11/30/week13/index.html?eref=T1

Zimmmerman on Jack Lambert, from 1984:

"The painting hangs on the wall outside the office of Art Rooney Jr., the coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers' scouting operations. It's not the kind of thing you'd want your mother or your wife to see.

It's what Attila must have looked like while he was sacking a village, or the way a Viking chieftain was with his blood lust up. Only this Viking wears No. 58 and he's dressed out in the gold and black of the Steelers, eyes flashing in a maniacal frenzy; blood flecking his nose; his mouth, minus three front teeth, bared in a hideous leer.

Jack Lambert's portrait epitomizes the viciousness and cruelty of our national game.

The portrait was done by Merv Corning. It was one of two he submitted to the Steelers' publicity director, Joe Gordon, for possible use as a program cover, and it was rejected immediately. Too scary. Rooney saw it. He called Corning. 'Can I buy the original?' he said. The deal was made, and Rooney hung it outside his office.

"... The kids in Pittsburgh saw another side of him, though. So did the people who'd get him to make one of his rare banquet appearances -- always unpaid. 'In the old days players would go into a place, tell a couple of locker-room stories, talk about the team, take the money and run,' he said. 'I decided I wasn't going to cheat people.'

So he began to talk about drugs, and senseless vandalism, about respect and the pride that he felt when he stood at attention before a game and heard the national anthem played. The audience would stare at him. Is this a put-on or what? Then they'd applaud. At one affair someone asked him what he'd do to the drug dealers. His reply was typically blunt. 'Hang them by their feet in Market Square until the wind whistles through their bones.'"

XxKnightxX
12-01-2008, 07:49 PM
thats a lamber story all right, oh so nice but always violent lol. my former high school trainer actually told me a story of jack when he was in kent state doing his masters. he was in football practice when jack all of a sudden saw how weak the linebackers were hitting in drills, so he went and got a helmet and told my trainer to pad up his forearms, My trainer didnt hesitate since he told me how intimidating it was when he spoke to him and he went out and joined the linebackers in the drill and was jacking them up as they rushed towards him. and this story is pretty recent. mant i love lambert, thats why i own his jerser, toughest sob period.

stillers4me
12-01-2008, 08:03 PM
My husband was also at Kent when Jack was a senior there. There was only one bar in town that would let him in. :chuckle:

beSteelmyheart
12-01-2008, 08:05 PM
"The painting hangs on the wall outside the office of Art Rooney Jr., the coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers' scouting operations. It's not the kind of thing you'd want your mother or your wife to see.

It's what Attila must have looked like while he was sacking a village, or the way a Viking chieftain was with his blood lust up. Only this Viking wears No. 58 and he's dressed out in the gold and black of the Steelers, eyes flashing in a maniacal frenzy; blood flecking his nose; his mouth, minus three front teeth, bared in a hideous leer.

It's an awesome portrait, too (a portrait artist's opinion)that deserves to hang in the Hall!

LambertIsGod58
12-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Great post Mesa!!

Galax Steeler
12-02-2008, 04:28 AM
Nice read thanks.

markymarc
12-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Very nice read on Lambert. Thanks for posting Mesa.

Michael Keller
12-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks , my all time favorite football player.

steel striker
12-02-2008, 07:44 PM
That was a neat stuff on Lambert. Thanks

NV STEELERS 723
12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
my sig says it all!