PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Clark awaits NFL fine

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2008, 05:09 AM
Steelers' Clark awaits NFL fine
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Steelers free safety Ryan Clark will almost certainly get fined by the NFL for the hit that knocked Wes Welker out of Sunday's game. Clark decked Welker after a pass over the middle to the Patriots' wide receiver fell incomplete. He drew a 15-yard penalty on the play for unnecessary roughness.

"It was not like I was trying to be cheap," Clark said. "The ball got tipped, but (the referees) said I should not have left my feet. I do not know how to control that."

Clark said he apologized to Patriots running back Kevin Faulk, a former teammate of his at LSU, for the result of the hit.

"I could not find Welker after the game to tell him I was not trying to be dirty," Clark said.

The Steelers added defensive tackle Scott Paxson to their 53-man roster Monday and released veteran running back Najeh Davenport for the second time this season. Paxson has been with the Steelers' practice squad for parts of the past three seasons. The Penn State product played in his first NFL game Oct. 5 in Jacksonville because of injuries along the Steelers' defensive line. The Steelers signed rookie cornerback Roy Lewis to take Paxson's place on the practice squad. Lewis has played in one game this season, and the Steelers released him from their 53-man roster last Thursday to make room for Davenport. The Steelers had brought back Davenport because of concerns over Willie Parker's left knee. Parker, however, started Sunday in New England and rushed for a game-high 87 yards on 16 carries in the Steelers' 33-10 win.

Outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley already have set a Steelers record for sacks in a season by a pair of teammates. With 25.5 between them, the duo could approach the 36 sacks the Steelers had as a team last season.

"We're trying to raise that total to 30-plus," Harrison said.

Harrison sacked Matt Cassel twice, and Woodley took down the Patriots quarterback once in the Steelers' 33-10 win. Harrison is third in the NFL with 14 sacks; he trails the Cowboys' DeMarcus Ware (15) and the Dolphins' Joey Porter (14.5). Woodley is tied for fifth with 11.5.

Veteran cornerback Deshea Townsend said of Harrison, "This year is just a true testament of what he did last year was not a fluke. He is one of those guys that is a true professional and has worked his way to being a great player. If he keeps doing that, the sky is the limit."

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger didn't get much time to rest in the second half of Sunday's game. That is because all five of the turnovers that the Steelers forced in their 33-10 win came after halftime.

"You just get to the sideline, put your coat on, your hat on, and all of a sudden you're ready to go back on the field," Roethlisberger said. "We're glad we could capitalize (on the turnovers); we'd like to capitalize better with more points, but we did what we did and it was a team win."

Digits

6 Games this season in which Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has thrown for at least 300 yards.

166.8 Passing yards per game the Steelers have allowed this season, the fewest in the NFL.

6 Interceptions by Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu, the most in the NFL.

20 Percentage of fourth downs the Steelers have converted this season (10 attempts).

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_601000.html

TackleMeBen
12-02-2008, 09:25 AM
well we all knew that a fine would be coming for clark. it still was a great hit though.

lilyoder6
12-02-2008, 10:14 AM
it's sad that i know that ur going to get fined after making a great hit... should just put an advancement for the next hit he'll have sometime in the next couple of weeks

TackleMeBen
12-02-2008, 10:21 AM
clark needs to be like tony stewart.. he knows that he will do something that nascar will fine him for so he puts money into a savings account for that...lol..

clark knows that he will hit people(even if they are legal) bc he plays for the steelers he will get fined.. so set up an account and call it my hit fines account..lol..

jjpro11
12-02-2008, 10:55 AM
money well spent

steelreserve
12-02-2008, 10:59 AM
I think every QB and wide receiver in the league (not named Roethlisberger or Ward) should chip in to buy Goodell a new set of knee pads, because if he hasn't worn out his current pair, he's going to soon.

TackleMeBen
12-02-2008, 11:01 AM
I think every QB and wide receiver in the league (not named Roethlisberger or Ward) should chip in to buy Goodell a new set of knee pads, because if he hasn't worn out his current pair, he's going to soon.
:chuckle::chuckle: there went my coke all over my keyboard and screen...

Hines0wnz
12-02-2008, 01:47 PM

Funniest post I may have seen from you, evar. :laughing:

steelreserve
12-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Funniest post I may have seen from you, evar. :laughing:

Hey, don't thank me, thank the commissioner -- it's his own balls-on-chin management style that makes all the jokes possible.

MACH1
12-02-2008, 02:12 PM

How do you think he got that little bald spot on the back of his head? From his head rubbing on the underside of Kraft's desk.

SteelCityMan786
12-02-2008, 02:29 PM
well we all knew that a fine would be coming for clark. it still was a great hit though.

I'm thinking a hit like that could get a real hefty fine.