PDA

View Full Version : We're No. 3: Packers, Red Sox overtake Steelers in fans' loyalty

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2008, 06:17 AM
We're No. 3: Packers, Red Sox overtake Steelers in fans' loyalty
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
By Timothy McNulty, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Perhaps Steelers fans could buy even more stuff.

Fresh off a huge, but rare win against the New England Patriots, the National Football League team lost on a different national stage yesterday, when a study released by a New Jersey market-research firm showed that the Steelers slipped to third nationally in local fan loyalty, after finishing first last year.

While Steelers fan support stayed nearly the same, interest in the NFL's Green Bay Packers and Major League Baseball's Boston Red Sox surged past them, the survey of 12,000 sports fans in 122 sports markets showed.

In better news, Pittsburgh-area hockey interest in the Penguins went from 20th last year among franchises in North America to eighth. Interest in baseball's bumbling Pirates stumbled from 72nd to 90th.

Only one city in the United States has more teams in the top 10 -- again, it is Boston, which can count three recent championships from the Patriots, Red Sox and the National Basketball Association's Celtics.

"The Steelers didn't do anything wrong. When you're No. 1 you have nowhere to go but down," said Lee Perna, president and CEO of Turnkey Sports & Entertainment, which produced the study. "They should be very, very proud of where they fit. There is nothing bad to say about the Steelers whatsoever."

To produce the study, Turnkey surveyed 300 sports fans in the Pittsburgh area on their perception of their hometown teams, asking questions about ticket value, team leadership and 19 other categories. The study also asked about attributes they admire in their teams, and Pittsburgh fans rated "hard-working" most important. Second was "competitive."

The study, which is used by teams and sponsors to help marketing themselves to fans, only surveys brand interest within teams' local markets, not their interest across the United States and Canada. To that end, the study also solicited fans' favorite sponsors. In Pittsburgh, they were Heinz and Giant Eagle.

The surveys were performed in the spring. According to Turnkey, interest in the Packers was surging during questions about Brett Favre's return to football and the team's 13-3 season last year.

"What this is saying is the following the Packers have is more intensely loyal to supporting the Packers than any other team," Mr. Perna said. "What this basically says is that all other things being equal, a sponsor gets more value in sponsoring the Packers than any other team."

At Steelers headquarters, there wasn't much worry about the report.

"Our fans are incredibly loyal. We feel they're the best in all of sports," said spokesman Dave Lockett. "That's seen by the fact that we're probably unparalleled in the number of fans in our colored jerseys in opposing stadiums, as well as in hotels on road trips every week."

The study found the Steelers were in the top 10 across the NFL, National Hockey League, NBA and Major League Baseball in "premium value," meaning fans see their games to be a good value even though they have a high cost.

Those findings will likely be of interest to the ownership group coming together behind Steelers chairman Dan Rooney, as he works to buy team shares from his four brothers by the end of this month.

The report had nothing but more bad news for the Pirates, who suffered through their record-tying 16th straight losing season. Their results were lower in every study category and they were the flip-flop of the Steelers on perceptions of value -- fans did not see their games as a good buy even though they offer relatively cheap prices.

Like the Steelers, fans graded the Penguins (who were on a Stanley Cup run during the survey) to be in the top 10 nationwide (and across Canada) in team popularity, fan loyalty and team ownership.

Only one hockey team was more popular. Unfortunately it was another Pittsburgh nemesis, the Detroit Red Wings.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08337/932037-66.stm

SteelMember
12-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Isn't it funny how a storied franchise such as the boston celtics were previously ranked 104, and now with their current championship, they're now at #9.

If that isn't "bandwagon", I don't know what is.

SteelersMongol
12-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Packers? I'm not surprised.

Perhaps Steelers fans could buy even more stuff.

That is happening even from Mongolia. :wink02:

jjpro11
12-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Isn't it funny how a storied franchise such as the boston celtics were previously ranked 104, and now with their current championship, they're now at #9.

If that isn't "bandwagon", I don't know what is.

that whole city is bandwagon.. once brady retires and belichick ends up getting banned, the pats will drop down to the same kind of rank as the celts a year ago.

of course the packers are up, all summer long espn was the brett favre network.

SteelMember
12-02-2008, 09:08 AM
that whole city is bandwagon.. once brady retires and belichick ends up getting banned, the pats will drop down to the same kind of rank as the celts a year ago.

of course the packers are up, all summer long espn was the brett favre network.

Yeah, packer fans seem pretty loyal, and you know that last merchandise spike for them was their fans buying the last of the #4 favre/pack jerseys. I guess they forgot about "throwbacks". It's not like they only make seattle/Franco jerseys now...thankfully. :chuckle:

Blitzburgh_Fever
12-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Red Sox most loyal? Horseshit. There were about a quarter as many Red Sox fans in 2003 than there are today.

Packers fans I got no hate for, though. Funny how us small market teams get the most loyal fans.

The_WARDen
12-02-2008, 11:09 AM
but where do we rank in the AP poll?

lilyoder6
12-02-2008, 11:29 AM
that thing bout the celtics is stupid.. b4 they got allen and kg and won there title.. no one wanted to be affiliated with that team.. what wonders 1 yr can do.. cough cough BROWNS cough cough

steelreserve
12-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Red Sox most loyal? Horseshit. There were about a quarter as many Red Sox fans in 2003 than there are today.

Seriously. Before they bought a championship, the Red Sox had about as many fans as the Patriots did in 1992. Or as the Cowboys of the late '80s. Fricking bandwagon horsecrap. Some people are just looking for an excuse to make you want to punch 'em in the mouth, I guess.

steelpride12
12-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Have to give it to the Packers. I mean the team is literally owned by the fans and such a small area, small frozen tundra, with Brett Favre or not, with a good or bad record that stadium fills up year and year again.

T.Richardson
12-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Cant argue with the Packers. Lambeau field is like Landmark for the NFL.

KeiselPower99
12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Anything in Boston is bandwagon

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Cant argue with the Packers. Lambeau field is like Landmark for the NFL.Well Fenway is a landmark.

fansince'76
12-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm sure the SAWX moving up to #2 on the list didn't have anything at all to do with the Pats* choke in the SB and having a less-than-perfect season so far this year. :rolleyes:

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-02-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm sure the SAWX moving up to #2 on the list didn't have anything at all to do with the Pats* choke in the SB and having a less-than-perfect season so far this year. :rolleyes:No. I don't think it did!

Petesburgh66
12-03-2008, 12:19 AM
What kind of BS study was this. I don't see the great number of cheese heads on the road invading like Steeler fans in other stadium across the NFL.

Also, the Detroit Red Wings the highest NHL team in terms of loyality? Over the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Montreal Canadiens? The Dead Things so called loyal fans couldn't sell out the joint last year. Hence, I call BS.

As for Boston, most of their so called sports fans are instant gratification bandwagoners.

BlackAndGold4Ever
12-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Dosn't matter what one poll says, we have the most hardcore loyal fans in the league handsdown....just look at this sight alone. We come from all over the Country and the world. Steelers Nation will always be the strongest presence in sports:tt03:

RoethlisBURGHer
12-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Dosn't matter what one poll says, we have the most hardcore loyal fans in the league handsdown....just look at this sight alone. We come from all over the Country and the world. Steelers Nation will always be the strongest presence in sports:tt03:

AMEN!

:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

BozMan
12-03-2008, 01:53 AM
To produce the study, Turnkey surveyed 300 sports fans in the Pittsburgh area on their perception of their hometown teams ...

So they didn't take into consideration Pittsburgh fans living outside of Pittsburgh? Doesn't sound like a very accurate survey.

jjpro11
12-03-2008, 03:10 AM
What kind of BS study was this. I don't see the great number of cheese heads on the road invading like Steeler fans in other stadium across the NFL.

Also, the Detroit Red Wings the highest NHL team in terms of loyality? Over the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Montreal Canadiens? The Dead Things so called loyal fans couldn't sell out the joint last year. Hence, I call BS.

As for Boston, most of their so called sports fans are instant gratification bandwagoners.

wow.. that is absurd.. detroit could barely sell out their playoff games last year. i know times are tough there, but there are season ticket waiting lists longer than the steelers in places like montreal, toronto and calgary.

SteelCityKingsVP
12-10-2008, 12:37 AM
My friends,
It has recently come to my attention that Steeler fans are no longer the no. 1 fan in the NFL. Packers fans are according to a recent poll taken from local news stations. This IS a problem. We NEED our number 1 spot back. So lets get it back. How? Im not sure. Any ideas?

Stu Pidasso
12-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Win the Super Bowl!

Sharkissle29
12-10-2008, 01:28 AM
you make a lot of threads...

XxKnightxX
12-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Yeah not to bust your balls but thats 7 threads If I can still count. Good questions youre asking though but too many and youll get the too many threads response

SteelCityKingsVP
12-10-2008, 01:53 AM
I didnt know that but thank u

XxKnightxX
12-10-2008, 02:05 AM
No problem , welcome to the forums though, enjoy yourself