PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Can Dominate Wounded Dallas

mesaSteeler
12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Steelers-Cowboys: Pittsburgh Can Dominate Wounded Dallas
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/88130-steelers-cowboys-pittsburgh-can-dominate-wounded-dallas/poll_results#poll
by Leo Hayes (Contributor)

December 02, 2008

Big Ben Roethlisberger said Sunday evening after beating the Patriots that he doesn't look ahead in the schedule, so we are going to do that for him.

The Steelers have a tough schedule coming up, all but one of their opponents have winning records and two of the four are division rivals. Of the remaining four opponents there are two of the top five defenses, one of the most explosive offenses, and one bad team whose coach only keeps his job with a miracle finish (something tells me that means beating the Steelers more than winning out).

Most of the teams in the NFL would be worried going into this stretch when more wins are needed to guarantee a playoff spot. The Steelers are not, and need not, be one of those teams.

This week we will look at the Cowboys. Tony Romo is an over-hyped quarterback who still likely has a lingering injury to his throwing hand. This will not be a good thing to have against the Steelers who will hit him hard and often. He has not done well against a consistent pass rush, and quarterbacks do not have good days when they play Pittsburgh.

The Cowboys do, however have some very talented receivers on offense. This, however did not help New England who had one of the best of all time on their team dropping balls because he was afraid to get wrecked as he landed. Terrel Owens also does not match-up well against the Steelers, with his last game against the Black and Gold coming back in 2004 when his Eagles were demolished 27-3. He did not contribute significantly to his team's three points.

The running game of the Cowboys will have to face the NFL's best defense in all major categories, allowing only 71.2 rushing yards per game. With a running back coming off of an injury in week 13, this is not a good match-up for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys also have to come to Pittsburgh, to the cold, snow, and ice to play the Steelers in "Steeler Weather." This will make passing all the more difficult, likely resulting in either the Cowboys becoming more one-dimensional toward the run, or becoming indecisive with passes as more of them are dropped and more difficult to throw. This indecision will result in sacks. Sacks will cause more indecision. You can see where I am going with this.

If the Steelers defense shows up, as it does week in and week out, the Cowboys will need to be perfect if they hope to win, and in Pittsburgh in December, perfection is highly improbable, if not impossible.

The Steelers offensive line also showed signs of improving last week against an admittedly weak New England defense. If the line can remain consistent, or improve further, and the Steelers keep their running game going, it will create problems for a Dallas defense who have suffered several key injuries this year; a defense that has allowed 260 points this season, 90 more than the Steelers top ranked defense.

The Cowboys with Romo have had troubles in big games, especially those in December and into the playoffs. All four of the Cowboys' losses this years have also come when they have scored fewer than 28 points. No team has scored more than 24 points against the Steelers' defense.

This game will come down to a few key factors.

First whether or not injured Cowboys players, including Barber, Ware, and Romo can play at their normal level.

Second: how the Cowboys react to the exotic looks and intense pass rush of the Steelers defense.

Thirdly, if the Steelers offense can continue to get back on track and perform at their top level with injuries to some of their key players including Roethlisberger, Parker, Miller, and the offensive line in general.

The Steelers will win this game 28-7.

As an interesting side note, the Steelers were able to hold the Patriots to 1-of-13 on third downs. The Patriots were, before last week, in the top ten in that category. If the Steelers' defense can have another performance near that level, the game will become very winnable.

Winning this game will put the Steelers in good position for the playoff race this year, and with Baltimore playing a difficult game against the Redskins it may provide the chance for a comfortable two game lead in the AFC North.

Dallas Cowboys' Strategy Against the Pittsburgh Steelers

by Alan Carter (Contributor)

December 01, 2008

Offense

The Cowboys donít need the run to pass the ball but it would greatly help against the sack leaders of the NFL. Marion Barber might be out with a injured foot. If Barber canít play, rookie Tashard Choice will start.

Choice had consecutive 1,300 yard seasons at Georgia Tech. Barber will be missed most of all in the pass blocking. Look for the Cowboys to use a lot of two-tight-end sets to help with the Pittsburgh linebackers.

Leonard Davis can match up against Pro-Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton. If Davis can keep Hampton from taking on double teams, the Cowboys will be able to run the ball.

Jason Witten looks to be an important part of the piece but will go against Troy Polamalu, one of the best safeties in the league. Martellus Bennett has shown Tony Romo that he is a worthy option.

Romo must extend the play just that extra second that he does so well at. Romo has only been sacked eight times on the season. If Romo can avoid the rush, he should see big things downfield.

Owens will definitely get a safety over top, so look for Roy Williams to play a larger role. He should garner single coverage most of the day and has the skill set to take advantage.

Defense

The Cowboys are second in sacks, only two behind Pittsburgh. DeMarcus Ware is expected to play and now leads the NFL with 15 sacks.

The Steelers have struggled with protecting Ben Roethlisberger and it has shown up in his stats. Ben has thrown 12 interceptions to only 13 touchdowns.

The Cowboys will set Ware loose on Ben. Jay Ratliff is having a season year with six sacks. Ben has been sacked 33 times this season; second worst in the league.

Mewelde Moore and Willie Parker will share the load. Parker is fast, but could blow a tire any play. Moore is a shifty runner that can catch the ball. Neither is known for pushing the pile.

The Cowboys have been playing fantastic red-zone defense. Pittsburgh lacks a goal-line back so Ben will probably be asked to punch it in the end zone.

Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes are playing well, but are seeing the ball less and less. The odd statistic is that Ben is being sacked less than he was last year.

If Ben can stay upright long enough the Cowboys are notoriously bad against the long throw. The mere seconds of space between Ware and Roethlisberger could decide the game.

Special Teams

Sam Paulescu has filled in admirably for injured punter Mat McBriar. Paulescu already has more downs in the 20 than McBriar.

Nick Folk has made 15 of his 17 field goal attempt and is a reliable kick from 40 and 50 yards away.

Orlando Scandrick or Isaiah Stanback will fill in as Kickoff returners. Neither one can match the speed that Felix Jones had but do an admirable job. Patrick Crayton will return punts. The most important thing is that none of them have fumbled.

stillers4me
12-02-2008, 09:04 PM
They need to keep Ware away from Ben.....somehow, someway. Mario Williams got to him one too many times, and we've paid for it all season. We don't need a reinjured Ben going into the final stretch.

Tony Womo doesn't worry me. DeMarcus Ware scares me.

ben7
12-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Eat some Tony Romo

Hapa
12-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Double Ware pl0x

BrandonCarr39
12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Just a couple of things on this article...

1) Since Parcells came(and then handed the reigns to Phillips), we've had incredible luck of being one of the most healthiest teams in the league(aside from '04 and '05), part of the reason is that we have one of the best S&C coaches in the league.

Pt being that with the number of wounded guys we've had this year, we should have seen it coming. We're not in that bad of a shape, but with our difficult Dec schedule, it would sure help to have them.

2) For some unknown reasons, we would be going into Dec supposedly peaking at the right time, getting stronger, playing with a swagger, etc, etc...but out of nowhere, TSHTF. '06 was a prime example when we went from being Super Bowl favorites after taking a commanding lead in the NFCE to Christmas Day a few weeks later watching the Eagles destroy us at our house to take over this division. Every Dec is alot like watching a slasher horror flick with this team. Why other teams with less talent finish strong in the final spring is mystifying.

Anyhow-that's my rants for now.

BTW-Tony Romo is NOT over-hyped.:drink:

lilyoder6
12-02-2008, 09:28 PM
i would bet that ben should be doing a lot of quick passes so he doesn't get hit by ware on evry play... i doubt barber will be out.. he will play and try to play the whole game..

BrandonCarr39
12-02-2008, 09:39 PM
i would bet that ben should be doing a lot of quick passes so he doesn't get hit by ware on evry play... i doubt barber will be out.. he will play and try to play the whole game..

He's been knicked up all year-in the opener against Cleveland, he suffered torn rib cartilage, and now the toe injury.

mesaSteeler
12-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Just a couple of things on this article...

BTW-Tony Romo is NOT over-hyped.:drink:

And how many playoffs games has he won?

What was that again?

Funny I can't hear you.

Let me help you out.

ZIP, ZERO, NONE, NADA!!!!

Tony Blomo is just a creation of the media sucking of the "South" Americas Team.

Mill Write
12-02-2008, 11:53 PM
That line about the PK. 15 of 17, "reliable" from 40 to 50 yards. Yeah, them stats ain't from Heinz Field on a December night.

BrandonCarr39
12-02-2008, 11:57 PM
I dont like articles like this. They sound highly biased against the Steelers's opponents and make them look bad. Pittsburgh 28-7? That's a terrible score prediction. The cowboys can score well, and they can play defense. Im not bowing down to the cowboys, but show some respect for a very good football team. It should be a close game. Were not gonna blow out every good team we face. It should be a really tough ball game.

National Enquirer >>> Bleacher Report

BrandonCarr39
12-03-2008, 12:01 AM
That line about the PK. 15 of 17, "reliable" from 40 to 50 yards. Yeah, them stats ain't from Heinz Field on a December night.

Nick Folk has been a very, very, very stud kicker for us. He's made some of the clutchest kicks in the most pressure of situations.

Last year in Buffalo, a game you probably saw that we miraculously pulled out despite 5 Romo INTs, he kicked not one, but TWO 53 yarders as time expired.(The reason why I said 2 is b/c Buffalo called a TO thanks to that new bogus rule after the first one)

I know it was fair weather then, and the field conditions will be horrible, but it's been YEARS since we've had a halfway decent kicker. The ones we had under Parcells were the most rotten I've ever seen.

tony hipchest
12-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Nick Folk has been a very, very, very stud kicker for us. He's made some of the clutchest kicks in the most pressure of situations.

Last year in Buffalo, a game you probably saw that we miraculously pulled out despite 5 Romo INTs, he kicked not one, but TWO 53 yarders as time expired.(The reason why I said 2 is b/c Buffalo called a TO thanks to that new bogus rule after the first one)

I know it was fair weather then, and the field conditions will be horrible, but it's been YEARS since we've had a halfway decent kicker. The ones we had under Parcells were the most rotten I've ever seen.
this will be dallas's 1st trip to heinz field. id say their maximum range is 43 yds then. anything else will be missed. im trying to think if wade phillips (with n. kaeding or buffalo ever kicked there and how they did- cant remember off hand).

i say cowboys either punt, go for it, or miss, from anything further than 40 yds.

while they are the cowboys, theyre not used to playing in the cow pasture.

BrandonCarr39
12-03-2008, 12:30 AM
this will be dallas's 1st trip to heinz field. id say their maximum range is 43 yds then. anything else will be missed. im trying to think if wade phillips (with n. kaeding or buffalo ever kicked there and how they did- cant remember off hand).

i say cowboys either punt, go for it, or miss, from anything further than 40 yds.

while they are the cowboys, theyre not used to playing in the cow pasture.

I know-was just pointing out what this writer was saying. Parcells had one heck of a time trying to find a decent kicker while he was here, to the point where it became near-comical. In '05, 2 bad kickers costed us 2-3 games. In '06, he made Matt Vandergact(believe it or not) the highest paid kicker in the league...only to cut him after Thanksgiving which costed us a cap hit, but then lucked out with Martin Gramatica(through his ties with Belichick) for the remainder of the season.

The season after when we drafted Folk, we lucked out AGAIN when Gramatica got injured in preseason-otherwise, Folk would have likely been a Giant.

But yeah-having seen a number of Steelers home games on tv, the announcers would talk about having to kick on the field alot.

MACH1
12-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Whats the longest field goal kicked at Heinz? I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any 50 yders.

SunshineMan21
12-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Tony Blomo is just a creation of the media sucking of the "South" Americas Team.

I don't like Romo any more than the next Steeler's fan, but the Romo trashing is just stupid.

Romo is a mobile, intelligent quarterback playing behind a good offensive line. He has good receivers, although they may be missing MBIII at RB. I don't think Dallas' offense will do much, but that's more a reflection on our defense than their offense--they're certainly good enough that if our offense gives them short fields with turnovers we could lose.

The most critical matchup in this game is Steelers O-Line vs. DeMarcus Ware. If Starks+assorted TEs and backs can contain Ware, we'll be fine.

tony hipchest
12-03-2008, 12:43 AM
lol. picking a kicker is like picking a booger. you can pick both but you cant wipe your kickers on the couch.

didnt the cowboys have todd suisham(?) at one point?

i think he was once thought to give reed competition in camp at one point (still cant remember for sure- he did alright 1 pre-season for us)

tony hipchest
12-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Whats the longest field goal kicked at Hinz? I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any 50 yders.its vinatieri. i think it was 48-49 yder. (04 afcc game in the blistering cold i think).

jeff reed may have beaten that this year though (i think he missed it).

BrandonCarr39
12-03-2008, 12:50 AM
lol. picking a kicker is like picking a booger. you can pick both but you cant wipe your kickers on the couch.

didnt the cowboys have todd suisham(?) at one point?

i think he was once thought to give reed competition in camp at one point (still cant remember for sure- he did alright 1 pre-season for us)

He plays with the Redskins now-while he can be wildly inconsistent for them once in awhile, he's been a good clutch kicker for them overall.

He didn't play well for us in the few games here, but somehow, he started booming them from 50 yards the minute he put on a Skins uniform.

BrandonCarr39
12-03-2008, 12:51 AM
its vinatieri. i think it was 48-49 yder. (04 afcc game in the blistering cold i think).

Vinetierri is Houdini-the minute he put on a Colts uniform, his old self never went away.

fansince'76
12-03-2008, 01:13 AM
its vinatieri. i think it was 48-49 yder. (04 afcc game in the blistering cold i think).

Reed hit a 50-yarder on 12/3/06 vs. TB:

12/3 vs. Tampa Bay: Converted a 50-yard field goal, the longest field goal made at Heinz Field by an NFL player....

http://news.steelers.com/Team/Player%7C73

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-03-2008, 01:43 AM
I don't like Romo any more than the next Steeler's fan, but the Romo trashing is just stupid.

Romo is a mobile, intelligent quarterback playing behind a good offensive line. He has good receivers, although they may be missing MBIII at RB. I don't think Dallas' offense will do much, but that's more a reflection on our defense than their offense--they're certainly good enough that if our offense gives them short fields with turnovers we could lose.

The most critical matchup in this game is Steelers O-Line vs. DeMarcus Ware. If Starks+assorted TEs and backs can contain Ware, we'll be fine.

All true. Oddly enough, I think we can run the ball against Dallas because they run a 3-4 defense. Stapleton is argueably our weakest lineman, but has quick feet. Without an O lineman over Stapelton, he can get to a LB and we can get some positive yards on the ground.

Think of it. The 3 losses we have came against 4-3 defenses. Maybe just a coincidence?? :noidea:

jjpro11
12-03-2008, 03:22 AM
every time articles like these start popping up we go out and play like shit. the steelers still need to prove to me that they can be a great team week in and week out. they did it in 2004, so im sure they know how to do it again.

KeiselPower99
12-03-2008, 08:56 AM
I dont care what the final score reads as long as we are up. Dallas has some great players but they aint played a D like ours all year. As for Romo Im not convinced he is as good as the media makes him out to be. Good? Yes. Great and an elite qb??? Not yet. Itll be a tough physical game and one Im really excited about watching.

tyler289
12-03-2008, 09:09 AM
This article just screams Steelers bias.

Writing "an over-hyped Tony Romo" is the most obvious example.

And God, is this website not edited? There are tons of grammatical errors and just poor writing.

XxKnightxX
12-03-2008, 09:54 AM
All true. Oddly enough, I think we can run the ball against Dallas because they run a 3-4 defense. Stapleton is argueably our weakest lineman, but has quick feet. Without an O lineman over Stapelton, he can get to a LB and we can get some positive yards on the ground.

Think of it. The 3 losses we have came against 4-3 defenses. Maybe just a coincidence?? :noidea:

I noticed that about stapleton from watching the nfl replay. He gets a good explosion and start and gets his body in front of his man, but he stalls out, he needs to use his hips and restart his motor, instead of raising his knees and legs which leads to nothing, He still needs to improve in his technique.

The Duke
12-03-2008, 10:55 AM
This article just screams Steelers bias.

Writing "an over-hyped Tony Romo" is the most obvious example.

And God, is this website not edited? There are tons of grammatical errors and just poor writing.

Totally agree

I have seen some good articles there, but this one was just awful

Anyway, I dout we see a "domination" like the author talks about

drizze99
12-03-2008, 12:47 PM
every time articles like these start popping up we go out and play like shit. the steelers still need to prove to me that they can be a great team week in and week out. they did it in 2004, so im sure they know how to do it again.

I couldn't agree with you more! I hate these articles. I want to see articles that say the Steelers suck and they are not worthy of being a playoff team.

These articles that blow smoke up our ass piss me off.

Dino 6 Rings
12-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Stop Ware, that's all that really concerns me. I predict a few draw plays that undercut his speed as he rushes up field and a couple screen plays thrown left (his side) to prevent him from coming at Ben with his ears pinned back.

I see a few deep throws to Washington (butter fingers) to keep the safeties out of the box and a lot of short passes to Ward, Holmes, Moore and Miller to move the chains.

Then I see our defense, doing what it does.

Punching the other team right in the face. Wanna bet that TO wants no part of a crossing route this week. Everyone has seen the Clark hit, and it'll be in the back of all the Cowboy's receivers minds.

That Hit set a tone for the rest of our year. We are going to smash you, break you and beat you into submission. bottom line.

lilyoder6
12-03-2008, 01:04 PM
even tho i think our def is great.. i still think that the cowboys offense will still have at least 1 big scoring drive maybe 2... it's just the way they play w/ romo they are always dangerous on off

FCBarca
12-03-2008, 02:56 PM
LOS...That's where game will be won/lost...If Pitt can follow through on their strengths (Pass rush & defending the run), then they'll enjoy successes...If Dallas can capitalize on their strengths (Offense & Pass rush), then it can be a successful day for them too

I honestly have no idea how it will turn out...Haven't seen Pitt enough to know much of a problem Harrison and Woodley will be although the good, for Dallas, is that momentum is building after a lackluster season

randy06
12-03-2008, 03:01 PM
LOS...That's where game will be won/lost...If Pitt can follow through on their strengths (Pass rush & defending the run), then they'll enjoy successes...If Dallas can capitalize on their strengths (Offense & Pass rush), then it can be a successful day for them too

I honestly have no idea how it will turn out...Haven't seen Pitt enough to know much of a problem Harrison and Woodley will be although the good, for Dallas, is that momentum is building after a lackluster season

Do you not watch or read, Harrison and Woodley are a pair of beasts!

FCBarca
12-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Do you not watch or read, Harrison and Woodley are a pair of beasts!

I've read it but I haven't seen it. :hatsoff:

revefsreleets
12-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Before this article, I had the Steelers winning by 17. Now that I've seen this, and realize that this will probably be the majority of the sentiment out there, I'm downgrading this to a 1 point squeeker decided in the last minute.

ANY time we are supposed to win big we blow it...

fansince'76
12-03-2008, 07:44 PM
It isn't an article, it's a blog, and most blogs are shit.

steeltheone
12-03-2008, 10:35 PM
It still states the truth....Romo has won nothing yet...Untill then, over - hyped

markymarc
12-04-2008, 07:21 AM
And how many playoffs games has he won?

What was that again?

Funny I can't hear you.

Let me help you out.

ZIP, ZERO, NONE, NADA!!!!

Very well stated Mesa!