PDA

View Full Version : NFL defends Wes Welker hit

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-03-2008, 08:50 AM
NFL defends Wes Welker hit
Blow to Welker legal, part of game
By Ron Borges
Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It looked bad and surely it felt worse, but Ryan Clark’s explosive hit on Wes Welker on Sunday was neither illegal nor unnecessary. It was a consequence of what pro football is and what Welker has done to opposing teams the past few seasons. Most importantly, it was within the rules.

When the Steelers free safety all but split the tiny wide receiver in half as he ran across the face of Pittsburgh’s defense, it felt like you could hear the collision in the stands. It looked even worse on television as a slowing Welker was leveled by a speeding bullet who threw his shoulder into the receiver’s body as Matt Cassel’s errant pass twisted in the air behind him.

It was gruesome, yet Patriots fans and radio talk show hosts who chattered on about how Clark “launched himself” at Welker, leaving his feet and throwing his shoulder illegally, are wrong. They, like Donovan McNabb, do not know the rules.

“A lot of people think it’s a foul to leave your feet,” NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira said yesterday from New York. “Launching is not a foul. There is nothing in the rulebook that states that at all. It’s a misconception people have.

“It is a foul to hit with your helmet against a defenseless receiver. It is a foul to throw a forearm into the neck or head area of your opponent. I don’t think either of those things happened. I’m not a fan of those high hits but if you do it with your shoulder you’re OK.”

Next we come to the fact the ball still was live. It had not hit the ground and it still was in front of Clark. In fact, a teammate to his left, had he reacted quicker, might have intercepted it.

As for Welker being defenseless, he was running across the defense in Clark’s direction. If he didn’t see him it was because he wasn’t looking, and if he wasn’t looking it was because he was looking back for the football. What he was doing was slowing up in the middle of a highway, a decision that defies common sense and is one he is not likely to repeat.

As to the hit itself, Pereira was clear (as was the video) Clark made sure to stay within the rules.

“He does actually lead with the shoulder on a high hit up in the area of the neck, but he left the helmet out of the contact,” Pereira said. “When you look at it and slow it down it probably was not an illegal hit. You might have to factor in that it was deflected early and does that make it become late. But the actual hit itself is probably OK.”

Immediately after the game Clark was unapologetic beyond his concern for Welker’s health, saying he believed he had done nothing wrong, which he hadn’t. Rodney Harrison makes the same hit on Marvin Harrison, everyone from Portland to Providence is crowing, “That’s Patriot football!” Let the collision be in the other direction and it is dirty football.

No, it was not. It was hardnosed football. It was Steelers football dating back to the 1970s and a safety named Donnie Shell, who had the right name there. When Clark took off like a bullet, at a receiver who has been tormenting safeties like him for two years on just such shallow routes, what he saw was an open receiver and a pass in the air.

As he closed, he purposely turned his head away from making contact with Welker’s head and delivered a thunderous blow. Welcome to the NFL.

Clark reminded us that this time a year ago he was in a hospital bed after having had first his spleen and then his gall bladder removed a few weeks after playing in Denver. Clark underwent two serious surgeries and lost a goodly amount of weight off his 5-foot-11, 205-pound frame.

“I was lying in a hospital last year,” Clark pointed out. “I’m not trying to hurt anybody. It was not like I was trying to be cheap. Anybody that comes across (the middle) it’s my job to tackle them. If I don’t do my job I’m going to be out there having to find another way to take care of my family and pay my bills. The ball got tipped but the official said I should not have left my feet.”

If that was the call it was incorrect, Pereira points out. Yet even at that, Pereira was not opposed to a mistaken flag being thrown because of the shocking nature of the collision and the need to protect players from the game’s obvious violence.

“The actual hit itself is probably OK but the officials are told to err on the side of safety,” Pereira said. “That was a tough call to make in real time but we want to lean toward safety. The rule clearly states if you don’t lead with your helmet it’s not a foul, but we threw the flag and I’m happy we did because I think we need to do it when in real time it looks so tough. It looked like a decleater type hit

But it wasn’t.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/2008_12_03_NFL_defends_Wes_Welker_hit:_Blow_to_Wel ker_legal__part_of_game/

XxKnightxX
12-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Clean hit, will never get tired of watching it, id rather take a flag than a fine or suspension, That was a statement hit that the cowboys receivers will have in mind.

The_WARDen
12-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm glad that I was sitting down when I read this....

I'm confused...do they realize that Clark hit a Patriot player?

TackleMeBen
12-03-2008, 09:06 AM
it has to be one of the best hits this season..and what makes it even better is that its on a pat player..lol.

i was listening to sirius yesterday and woodley was on and they asked him, if the guys are passing around the hat to collect for clarks fine..he laughed and said that it was a good hit.

SteelersMongol
12-03-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm glad that I was sitting down when I read this....

I'm confused...do they realize that Clark hit a Patriot player?

:laughing:

LambertIsGod58
12-03-2008, 09:13 AM
[/url]

It's not just Donovan who doesn't know the rules....many fans don't as well.

BozMan
12-03-2008, 09:25 AM
“The actual hit itself is probably OK but the officials are told to err on the side of safety,” Pereira said. “That was a tough call to make in real time but we want to lean toward safety. The rule clearly states if you don’t lead with your helmet it’s not a foul, but we threw the flag and I’m happy we did because I think we need to do it when in real time it looks so tough. It looked like a decleater type hit.”

What the hell is this guy thinking? Officials are supposed to throw flags on plays that "look tough" now?

That's completely subjective and will (and has) lead to wildly inconsistent officiating. You could make a case that practically any play "looks tough".

sreilly13
12-03-2008, 09:33 AM
"Football is a game of controlled violence,
Only the most violent people survive!"

NJarhead
12-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I read this about 10 minutes ago (and wanted to be the one who posted it, damn you LLT :wink02:). "The Patriot" aside, I am laughing heartily at New England. :rofl:

TackleMeBen
12-03-2008, 10:01 AM
well you know that all the pats fans are saying that it was a dirty and illegal hit. i was on the jets board they were even saying that it was a dirty and illegal hit.. i think they are just scared that they may have to play us in the playoffs if they(jets)make it.lol

fansince'76
12-03-2008, 10:02 AM
I read this about 10 minutes ago (and wanted to be the one who posted it, damn you LLT :wink02:). "The Patriot" aside, I am laughing heartily at New England. :rofl:

Well, Borges is pretty much a pariah in Patsland already because he isn't drunk on the RW&B Kool-Aid.

klick81
12-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Whoa whoa whoa...what's going on here??? Is this a game? The NFL defending a Steelers player???

TackleMeBen
12-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Whoa whoa whoa...what's going on here??? Is this a game? The NFL defending a Steelers player???
i know shocking isnt it... we know that the rooneys arent paying them b/c they are the cheapest owners in the league..lol :chuckle:

xfl2001fan
12-03-2008, 10:39 AM
“A lot of people think it’s a foul to leave your feet,” NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira said yesterday from New York. “Launching is not a foul. There is nothing in the rulebook that states that at all. It’s a misconception people have.

Fantastic! That was my only argument for why the flag may have been called. I thought there was something in the rules concerning that. (I also believed the rules should have been re-written to exclude that caveat.)

So, the hit was a great hit and can be enjoyed that much more for it's legality! Glad Welker is OK. I prefer WR's who don't fear going over the middle. I also like the non Prima Donna's. He happens to fit both categories.

OneForTheToe
12-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I just e-mailed that article to Jory Rand at KDKA, since he has stated that he thinks the hit was one of the most illegal hits he has ever seen (presumably in his months of experience watching the NFL :wink02: )

stlrtruck
12-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Well now I have to apologize to Clark for original thinking the flag was appropriate.

By all means Clark, have it again this week!!!

steelreserve
12-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Awesome! I'm glad someone from the league finally decided to grow a pair.

For all the horsecrap penalties, fines and rule changes over the past few years, I have to say most times I've seen Pereira comment on something, he comes off looking like an honest guy. Not the least of which was when he went on TV in an hourlong special a week or so after the Seahawks Super bowl and went through every single call that the Cryhawks' fans were bitching about. So if nothing else, at least HE seems like he's trying to do a good job.

Still, I bet they fine Clark anyway, because Goodell is one step away from mentally retarded.

fansince'76
12-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Well, Borges is pretty much a pariah in Patsland already because he isn't drunk on the RW&B Kool-Aid.

Went to the actual article link and perused the "comments" section. Sho' 'nuff....

WAAAHHH! :crying01:

This is exactly what I said would happen!!!! The lying pig Peirira says the same thing when the DB dove at Brady's knee,if this was a Colt being injured or one of the Mannings holy hell would have broken out!!!! Two sets of standards...The next time the NFL fines or suspends a Patriot know this its a conspiracy!!!!

Double WAAAHHH! :crying01: :crying01:

Ron boring is a idiot. That hit was obviously late. If the situation was reversed and it was a Patriot player doing the hitting he would get suspended.As for Pereira and the NOT Fair League,they have this one wrong. Stop favoring the Steelers, Colts and Giants and do something about this travesty. Stand up and do the right thing and stop being gutless.I can't believe that this is allowed. If this is okay, how soon before carrying guns will be allowed?Gutless Fools!As for Borges,ever hear of hair replacement?Maybe you could stop being an idiot and demand the NFL do the right thing?

Triple WAAAHHH! :crying01: :crying01: :crying01:

What a big frigging surprise that the NFL defended that hit...Did we think it would actually go AGAINST an opponent..? What a joke the NFL has become. And you, Borges are an even bigger joke. What was your point in bringing up Clark's past surgery...? Were you trying to evoke sympathy for the guy..??? Give me a break. That hit on Welker was DIRTY...That kid is lucky that he was able to even move or return to a standing position after that. Thank God that he did. Talk about a kid made of steel ~ that's our Wes Welker. Light was ejected from a game and fined ~ that punk Clark walks away with no punishment at all. Right ~ uh, huh. That's fair. Next time the Pats play Pittsburgh, they should make some time for retribution on the field on Welker's behalf. GO PATS...!

And I'd put money on it that these bandwagon-riding, hypocritical assclowns have rationalized and defended the actions of those cheap-shotting punks Wilfork and Harrison to the hilt for all the shit they've pulled over the years. :coffee:

SteelMember
12-03-2008, 11:27 AM
It's not just Donovan who doesn't know the rules....many fans don't as well.
:huh:
It was gruesome, [B]yet Patriots fans and radio talk show hosts who chattered on about how Clark “launched himself” at Welker, leaving his feet and throwing his shoulder illegally, are wrong. They, like Donovan McNabb, do not know the rules.
They = fans and hosts

And what of this? :scratchchin:

Isn't it in the "rule book" that a player can't launch himself over the line of scrimmage and contact a team mate (like field goal attempts or PAT's) or it's a penalty/foul.

I know that dosen't pertain to this incident, but you'd think they would know that, or maybe it's just left up to interpretation. :noidea:

I'm just glad there was no fine...yet. Just hard-nosed football.

Dino 6 Rings
12-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Cry me a river fans of other teams.

Facts are these

The Steelers are going to HIT YOU HARDER

The Steelers are NOT GOING TO LET UP

The Steelers are the Most Violent Team in the NFL

Fcking Deal with it fans of other teams.

Next up, Cowboys get to feel the pain.

OneForTheToe
12-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Ok generally, like steelreserve, I also have had good deal of respect for Mike Pereira, but this is a :huh:

One of those people that apparently has that misconception is your head referee, Ed Hoculi, because that is the explanation he gave Clark for the flag.

If that was the call it was incorrect, Pereira points out. Yet even at that, Pereira was not opposed to a mistaken flag being thrown because of the shocking nature of the collision and the need to protect players from the game’s obvious violence.

Translation from arrogence translator:

"So, we were wrong, but instead of apologizing for a mistakes now, we at the NFL offices choose to declares victory over violence, pat ourseves on the back (yea us), and move on.

lilyoder6
12-03-2008, 12:12 PM
the guy saying that the league favors the steelers,.., i wonder if he has been watching this season but the steelers were getting fined almost evry week 4 some bullshit....

those responses are just funny

steelerbackr4life
12-03-2008, 12:22 PM
That hit has been replayed over and over and every time I see it all I see is hard nosed football.

As I stated in an earlier post. Fine or no fine legal or illegal, everyone in the NFL knows it is dangerous to their health to come across the middle against the Steelers.

The over under line for the amount of catches T.O. drops is seven.

The Patriot
12-03-2008, 01:49 PM
:hunch: I'm confused. I was led to believe that the NFL and big bad Goodell were out to screw the Steelers franchise by all means necessary.

fansince'76
12-03-2008, 01:57 PM
:hunch: I'm confused. I was led to believe that the NFL and big bad Goodell were out to screw the Steelers franchise by all means necessary.

Coming from a member of a fanbase that did nothing but bitch and squawk about how their poor wittle team was "mistreated" and "victimized" over Spygate by the same big, bad commissioner. Ironic. :coffee:

That being said, I was fully expecting a fine for Clark, due to a number of earlier pussified precedents set by Kommissar Goodell this season ("tackling in too intimidating of a manner?" Please). The fact that one wasn't levied while Hines got tagged to the tune of $10K earlier in the year for slapping a guy on the helmet after the play was over only underscores how arbitrary and absolutely clueless Goodell is when it comes to disciplining players. I still say he needs to go. Yesterday.

steelerbackr4life
12-03-2008, 02:51 PM

You are confused only because you
live in Mass and deep down you probably think you are owed something. Because your pro football and baseball teams sucked for so long.

NJarhead
12-03-2008, 03:05 PM
:hunch: I'm confused.

We know. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Correction: The statement should actually be "Prior to a Patriot being hit by a player who left his feet, there was no rule against such a hit. Since the player hit in such a fashion WAS a Patriot, the hit BECAME a penalty and shall be going forward"

Also see: Tuck rule

The Patriot
12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
We know. :chuckle:

Somehow I knew you would say exactly that! :sofunny:

By the way, I like your video. Notice that the ball never appears in the frame surrounding Welker for the ENTIRE video! :doh:
If that aint a penalty then I don't know what is.

The Patriot
12-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Coming from a member of a fanbase that did nothing but bitch and squawk about how their poor wittle team was "mistreated" and "victimized" over Spygate by the same big, bad commissioner. Ironic. :coffee:

No, I wasn't a whiner. I was a downplayer. Surely you remember?

ShutDown24
12-03-2008, 03:28 PM

By the way, I like your video. Notice that the ball never appears in the frame surrounding Welker for the ENTIRE video! :doh:

Lol dude, there is barely enough room in that "frame" FOR Welker.

The_WARDen
12-03-2008, 03:31 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I've seen it all now..a Cheatriot fan complaining about penalties.

Beautiful...

stlrtruck
12-03-2008, 03:42 PM

If Welker didn't want to get hit, then he should have stopped the moment he knew the ball was uncatchable. He did his job, continued to go after the ball (regardless of where it was being tipped to) and Carter did his job, demolish any and all who dare come across the middle (regardless of location of ball).

And btw, you got your penalty in the game and it still didn't help!

The Patriot
12-03-2008, 04:02 PM
If Welker didn't want to get hit, then he should have stopped the moment he knew the ball was uncatchable.

:chuckle:
Should Welker have then written a letter to Clark, detailing how and why the ball was uncatchable, and illustrating that an ensuing hit would be unnecessary? - Because he may have been pressed for time.

lilyoder6
12-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Correction: The statement should actually be "Prior to a Patriot being hit by a player who left his feet, there was no rule against such a hit. Since the player hit in such a fashion WAS a Patriot, the hit BECAME a penalty and shall be going forward"

Also see: Tuck rule

good one rev... i'll be suprised if they make a 2 hand touch rule for the qb when brady gets back

Preacher
12-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Here is what gets me...

I was one of the ones saying.... He left his feet... He left his feet. I got that from what Clark said the REFS told him, which means...

THE REF WAS WRONG... He basically made up the rule that you can't leave your feet.

Lovely.

And I stand corrected. Beautiful hit... nothing wrong... Do it again and this time, let's hope the refs don't screw with us.

ShutDown24
12-03-2008, 04:14 PM
:chuckle:
Should Welker have then written a letter to Clark, detailing how and why the ball was uncatchable, and illustrating that an ensuing hit would be unnecessary? - Because he may have been pressed for time.

I thought you were above having a double standard like most fans in your area... Guess not... :banging:

stillers4me
12-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Here is what gets me...

I was one of the ones saying.... He left his feet... He left his feet. I got that from what Clark said the REFS told him, which means...

THE REF WAS WRONG... He basically made up the rule that you can't leave your feet.

Lovely.

And I stand corrected. Beautiful hit... nothing wrong... Do it again and this time, let's hope the refs don't screw with us.

So.......the refs don't know the rules any better than McNabb does. :hunch:

SteelersGirlTN7
12-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Ok, I know its two different situations .. BUT i still need to vent!! Someone's complaints/comments about defending Clark's hit ...

"If the situation was reversed and it was a Patriot player doing the hitting he would get suspended.As for Pereira and the NOT Fair League,they have this one wrong"

Umm, do fans have short term memories? Matt Light should not have even been playing in our game if the "NO FAIR LEAGUE" susupended for dirty hits! Did you forget about the Light/Crowder beatdown? No suspensions!

So yeah, cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it!

NJarhead
12-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, if you're going to hand them out like candy, I'm gonna take 'em.

Welker is only 5' 9". The ball popped up in the air and it's a tiiiiiiny video. Quit reachin'. To be honest, I do wish it were someone besides Welker. I like him, but I'll take what I can get when it comes to the Patriots. :chuckle:

Texasteel
12-03-2008, 05:36 PM

If I understand the rule right as soon as the ball is tipped the receiver becomes fare game. The ball doesn't have to come any place near him.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Whaaaaa the Patriots have been ch-ch-cheated!

No fine? Whaaaaaaaa! Legal hit? Whaaaaaa!

But when Rodney Harrison makes the same freaking hit, after the ball has hit the ground (i.e. late hit)...it's a great defensive football play...Patriots football circa 2001.

F the Patriots and their bandwagon pansy ass freaking fans. Most of the people in that new stadium didn't realize New England even had a football team until about half way or so into the 2001 freaking football season.

The Patriot
12-03-2008, 05:47 PM
If I understand the rule right as soon as the ball is tipped the receiver becomes fare game. The ball doesn't have to come any place near him.

If the reciever tips the ball.

Preacher
12-03-2008, 06:03 PM
If the reciever tips the ball.

Nope.

Here is the rule Note 3: Pass interference for both teams ends when the pass is touched.

There is no specification of who touches it... only that it is touched.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

steel striker
12-03-2008, 06:12 PM
A db or safety can't just stop playing because, the ball was tipped. That was a clean hit and, any other player in Clark's position would have gone for the hit that is the bottom line. Players like Ronnie Lott, Donnie Shell, Mel Blount all of them would have done the samething Clark did.

The Patriot
12-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Nope.

Here is the rule

There is no specification of who touches it... only that it is touched.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

So say, for example, that the ball is batted down at the line, can a defensive player then launch himself at the intended reciever downfield?

jjpro11
12-03-2008, 06:31 PM
So say, for example, that the ball is batted down at the line, can a defensive player then launch himself at the intended reciever downfield?

not if the ball hasnt hit the ground.. i dont know what your angle is here after the head of officiating already came out and said it was clean.. your making an even bigger ass of yourself.

fansince'76
12-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I thought you were above having a double standard like most fans in your area... Guess not... :banging:

This surprises you....why?

NJarhead
12-03-2008, 06:52 PM

Depends, did Tom Brady throw the pass or one of the 31 other bums that play QB in the league?

The Patriot
12-03-2008, 06:58 PM
not if the ball hasnt hit the ground.. i dont know what your angle is here after the head of officiating already came out and said it was clean.. your making an even bigger ass of yourself.

I didn't say it wasn't clean. I said it was unnecessary, and jokingly if that.
Not sure if I have an angle. :uhh:

The Patriot
12-03-2008, 07:00 PM
This surprises you....why?
:kiss02:

NJarhead
12-03-2008, 07:06 PM

:huh:

I think you need to change your location from Boston to P-town. No need to hide it anymore.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-03-2008, 07:32 PM
I didn't say it wasn't clean. I said it was unnecessary, and jokingly if that.
Not sure if I have an angle. :uhh:

How was it unnecessary?

Clark is coming full speed at Welker. Clark's job is to destroy a receiver coming over the middle, as Welker was doing. Welker has a rep for making big plays on short routes over the middle, so Clark wanted to teach Welker a lesson.

Your QB hangs Welker out to dry with his errant pass which gets tipped, and then Clark destroys Welker.

This is football, it's a violent contact sport. I am sure Welker knows that, seeing how he plays the game.

But if you can't take watching a sport with some violent contact, there's always golf, tennis, and the luge.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-03-2008, 08:25 PM
OK, does this mean that Clark is not being fined??

If so, that is a big step in ending this stereotyping of Steelers players as .....hitting too hard. :chuckle:

lilyoder6
12-03-2008, 08:55 PM
it was fair game and the hit was clean and clark should of not of been flagged... ser.. these are football players not foot fairy's...

HughC
12-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm really surprised at the NFL not fining Clark. As I recall, many, if not most of us were not protesting the call and expected a fine Sunday and Monday - including some that are now calling it a clean and fair hit today. Around the NFL there have been dozens of less questionable hits that have resulted in fines the last couple of years. Was it within the rules? Yes, apparently so. Regardless, I'm surprised based on fines that came about by other hits. Maybe this was a bit of a "make-up" call for some of the other fines that have gone against the Steelers recently.

As far as it being Clark's job to 'destroy the receiver coming across the middle', that's not entirely true. That kind of thinking will result in dumb penalties that keep the drive going for opponents - especially now that everybody around the league has seen that play and knows Clark's name.

While it's incredibly exciting to see plays like that, it also ends up with guys careers lasting only about three years due to injuries. The NFL is a business and it promotes its product by marketing star offensive players. It uses offense and well known names to attract fans. Like it or not, they've put in rules to protect their assets, quarterbacks and receivers. 27-24 is a lot more watchable than 6-3.

fansince'76
12-03-2008, 09:47 PM
While it's incredibly exciting to see plays like that, it also ends up with guys careers lasting only about three years due to injuries. The NFL is a business and it promotes its product by marketing star offensive players. It uses offense and well known names to attract fans. Like it or not, they've put in rules to protect their assets, quarterbacks and receivers. 27-24 is a lot more watchable than 6-3.

Depends. I've seen more than a couple 27-24 kinds of games that absolutely sucked. Bad offense and defense exhibited by both teams and the two teams scoring in spite of themselves. By the same token I have seen more than a couple excellent 6-3 kinds of games where both offenses played well, but both defenses were lights out. I personally don't like "pinball machine" kinds of games where neither team can stop the other. I appreciate defense, and I appreciate even more teams that can actually play defense well in a league where the entire rulebook pretty much favors offenses. If the NFL really wants to go all out to protect its assets, why doesn't it just go all the way and turn itself into a flag football league? It's heading that way anyway, IMO.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-03-2008, 10:00 PM
it was fair game and the hit was clean and clark should of not of been flagged... ser.. these are football players not foot fairy's...

The hit was marginally late on a defenseless receiver and the flag was warranted. I didnt think it deserved a fine any more than Ward's hit on Rivers, but expected the pansy league office to fine him anyways.

You cant go around fining players on each flag thrown and I am glad the league is starting to realize that.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-05-2008, 01:12 AM
I don't understand how anyone is arguing? The head of NFL officiating said it was cool. That's like arguing The Theory of Relativity with Einstein!

Steelers & I
12-05-2008, 03:55 AM
Well, if you're going to hand them out like candy, I'm gonna take 'em.

Welker is only 5' 9". The ball popped up in the air and it's a tiiiiiiny video. Quit reachin'. To be honest, I do wish it were someone besides Welker. I like him, but I'll take what I can get when it comes to the Patriots. :chuckle:

Yeah, me too, but I think that we can agree that Randy Moss rarely runs his PU$$Y A$$ across the middle and on the few occasions that he does, he'll drop the ball if a defender is anywhere near him. That coward is nothing but a sideline streaking fairy.

the_king_from_leon
12-05-2008, 05:39 AM
I have to say that it was a beatiful hit and dammit it was a clean hit as well!

Dino 6 Rings
12-05-2008, 06:51 PM

Can you explain to me why there are 8 pages of "Clark is a cheap shot SOB" posts on the NE Site all saying it was a dirty hit?

And there are even calls for "retribution" to take a shot at Clark.

I find it hilarious.

lilyoder6
12-05-2008, 07:25 PM
and they have the best cheap shot artist of there own in rodney harrison... ppl defend him up the wazoo and they think clark is dirty.. lz

tony hipchest
12-05-2008, 07:33 PM
its only fitting them pusfagz have to root a team w/o ripped up knee tom brady, broken arm AD thomas, and limpdick harrison (along with broken busts such as maroney and c. jackson)-

I don't root for injuries, but if Ryan Clark were to tear an ACL or something as a result of that piece of @#%)@% that passes for the football field in Pittsburgh, I would have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/190458-no-fine-clark-hit-welker-page2.html

go taste the rainbow, bitches.

i swear, theyre worse than the whining seahawk fans. atleast i can understand the seahawks fustration....

clark was penalized (for not cheating no less). the steelers were "fined" 15 yards. isnt that enough?

stlrtruck
12-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Can you explain to me why there are 8 pages of "Clark is a cheap shot SOB" posts on the NE Site all saying it was a dirty hit?

And there are even calls for "retribution" to take a shot at Clark.

I find it hilarious.

Yes because it came against the only WR who isn't afraid to play football, even wearing a patriots* uniform. They're upset that they're only none cheating player got hammered and now they are in dire straights about making the playoffs.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I think if I had to choose a player on their team I actually liked it would be Welker. I am just sad that it didn't happen to Moss. On that same note I am sad that TO doesn't go over the middle.

markymarc
12-06-2008, 02:18 PM
I think if I had to choose a player on their team I actually liked it would be Welker.

I agree. He gives 100% every single play and is a very good WR.

Rinkleroot
12-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Had to be the best hit of the year, at least so far, I'd love to see Moss get nailed like that, he'd cough up the ball for sure!!

tyler289
12-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Awesome, awesome hit. Everytime I watch it I smile.

HughC
12-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, would love to see Welker here. Got to love the guy's heart and effort. Used to feel the same way about Troy Brown, but Welker is a better player. Imagine Ben having Hines - Holmes - Welker - Miller and Parker lining up with him. The NFL could use more guys like Welker to offset all the waste-of-talent bums like Charles Rogers.