PDA

View Full Version : Chambliss wins in Georgia

SCSTILLER
12-03-2008, 11:44 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-12-02-georgia-runoff_N.htm

SMYRNA, Ga. Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss easily won Georgia's contentious, month-long runoff election Tuesday, ending Democratic hopes of reaching a 60-seat majority in the Senate.

Chambliss, who beat Democratic challenger Jim Martin, promised voters throughout the campaign that he would serve as a check on Democratic power after the party expanded its majority in Congress last month.

"People all around the world have truly had their eyes on Georgia," he said. "And you have delivered tonight a strong message that conservative Georgia values matter."

Robert "Mike" Duncan, chairman of the Republican National Committee, said the victory "sends a strong message to Washington that unchecked power is not acceptable."

On stage with Chambliss, Duncan said "the resurgence of the Republican Party is beginning tonight here in Georgia."

With 96% of precincts reporting, Chambliss was ahead 57.5% to 42.5%. In his concession speech, Martin called his defeat "a sad moment" for his family, campaign and supporters.

Turnout appeared to be lower than the Nov. 4 general election, when 3.8 million people voted. Turnout was below general election levels in every county where all the votes had been counted by late Tuesday evening.

Georgia requires a runoff when no candidate receives more than 50% of the vote in a general election. On Nov. 4, Chambliss topped Martin 49.8% to 46.8%.

Senate Democrats will control at least 58 votes next year, up from 51 in the current Congress. To reach 60, which would have given the Democrats a filibuster-proof majority, they needed to win in Georgia and Minnesota, where a recount is underway.

Both of Georgia's candidates played up the national significance of the race. Martin said a wider Democratic majority would help President-elect Barack Obama cut income taxes. Chambliss said he would serve as a check on Democratic power.

"The balance of power is important," said Rick Mianulli, a 46-year-old Cobb County businessman who voted for Chambliss. "If it were the other way, and the Republicans held everything, I would have voted Democrat."

Merribel McKeever, a 23-year-old student who voted for Martin, said: "I thought it was time to do better."

A parade of high-profile party leaders visited in the final weeks of the campaign. Republican presidential nominee, Sen. John McCain, and his former running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, both campaigned for Chambliss.

Former president Bill Clinton and former vice president Al Gore visited Georgia for Martin. Obama did not, but he recorded a radio advertisement for Martin.

I am glad that the Dems didn't get the filibuster proof vote. I don't want either party to ever have the complete rule of our government per say, we need checks and balances in place. But, there are alot of Liberal Republicans in the senate and this runoff might not matter anyways.

xfl2001fan
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
It's a small step in the right direction. Balance is key in everything we do.

Godfather
12-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Dangit. I can't stand Bum Knee Saxby.

58/59/60 seats isn't that much of a difference because there's no procedural ban on a filibuster if you get to 60. You still have to round up the votes on individual bills, and there are Senators on both sides who will cross over on at least some issues.

It's good to keep it from being too lopsided, but I'd rather have one more D seat than have an unpatriotic coward like Chambliss in public office.

revefsreleets
12-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I don't like draft dodgers either, but there are an awful lot of them still in politics today.

The balance trumps the lack of character in the man in my book.

Godfather
12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
I don't like draft dodgers either, but there are an awful lot of them still in politics today.

True. But most of the draft dodgers at least keep their mouths shut. Chambliss questioned the patriotism of a man who lost both legs and an arm in Nam and that puts him in a special class of douchebag.

BrandonCarr39
12-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Dangit. I can't stand Bum Knee Saxby.

58/59/60 seats isn't that much of a difference because there's no procedural ban on a filibuster if you get to 60. You still have to round up the votes on individual bills, and there are Senators on both sides who will cross over on at least some issues.

It's good to keep it from being too lopsided, but I'd rather have one more D seat than have an unpatriotic coward like Chambliss in public office.

Honestly-with all this hoopla how the Dems wanted that magic 60 number...

1) Especially from that '06 midterm election, there are a good number of Reaganites, Pro Life, Pro 2nd Ammendment Democrats(i.e. VA's Jim Webb and PA's Bill Casey).

2) The Senate also has their fair share of Rhino Republicans as well(i.e. Arlen Spector, Susan Collins, and Olympia Snowe).

In the end, it could very well even out. And besides-everyone said how having even the slightest GOP majority in the Senate was great for Bush. I would think 58 is GREAT for any President.

Havik
12-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Chambliss is a douchebag. I hate seeing people like him in Congress.

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Chambliss is a douchebag. I hate seeing people like him in Congress.

I've started to hate having 1 party in charge of all branches of govt. Allows a lot of room for corruption.