PDA

View Full Version : Am I analyzing Phillips decision correctly?

chucoblack&gold
12-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Just read this on espn ....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3743239

I took this as if though there is no need to prepare for the Steelers game. :noidea: Kinda makes me a bit :mad:

BrandonCarr39
12-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Like I said on another thread-one of the reasons why we've been fading in Dec since Parcells came(and then gave the reigns to Wade) is (partly)b/c of the way our coaches run practices.

I don't know the details, as obviously, I'm not a media member and don't attend these practices, but from what's been reported et al, our coaches don't run practices properly, apparently.

Just my 2 cents-hopefully, this is just a case where a few of the vets were merely getting a day's rest.

tony hipchest
12-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Like I said on another thread-one of the reasons why we've been fading in Dec since Parcells came(and then gave the reigns to Wade) is (partly)b/c of the way our coaches run practices.

I don't know the details, as obviously, I'm not a media member and don't attend these practices, but from what's been reported et al, our coaches don't run practices properly, apparently.

Just my 2 cents-hopefully, this is just a case where a few of the vets were merely getting a day's rest.im with you and agree. win or lose, youve brought some good opponent discussion to this board, and would probably be welcomed as a fellow regular member (despite being a "cowboy" :yeehaw: and the razzing that comes with it) :flap:

but to the point-

"If they work this week, then their legs are going to be a certain way this week. ... You still get worn down the same amount if you spend that time on the field this week, in my opinion."

this is fine giving the vets some time off (does zach thomas really need the "practice" being an ilb?) as long as the coach knows they wont spend the time off dancin all night in da clubz and havving their hammys worn down by lap dances.

therein lies the gamble of this strategy. this is the cowboys, so we will see how it plays out.

chucoblack&gold
12-04-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm far from looking at this from a coaches point of view as well, I would just think that if my hopes for the playoffs counted on winning the remaining games I would want the best edge against the opponent. That would mean rookies and or veterans being on the same page.

fansince'76
12-04-2008, 12:41 AM
I don't know, it's not like he's giving the whole team 3-4 days off. He's resting some of his older guys for the stretch run, that's all. How much rest is too much? I don't know. How much practice is too much and wears an older player down to the point of them being less than 100% effective in games later in the season? I don't know. That's part of why these HCs are paid so well - it's their job to strike that balance with their vets. I don't take it as a sign of disrespect. Just my :twocents:

chucoblack&gold
12-04-2008, 12:46 AM
I don't take it as a sign of disrespect. Just my :twocents:

I think I may be looking for any little thing to tick me off regarding the team. You must understand, I live in Texas:mad::tt03:

The Duke
12-04-2008, 12:47 AM
This is a headline news at ESPN? ridiculous

As for your question, I don't think it's any disrespect, more like a questionable decision by Dallas coaches. Like TNewman said, it may be one of the reasons why they fade late in the season

Steelman16
12-04-2008, 12:51 AM
You must understand, I live in Texas:mad::tt03:

Oh yeah, brother! I totally understand.

Dealing with a few Cowboys fans at work right now...fun stuff. :wink02: (hard for anyone to argue with the #1 defense...)

Galax Steeler
12-04-2008, 04:27 AM
I don't see nothing wrong with what phillips is doing like franchise said he is not giving the whole team 3-4 days off so I don't think it is a big deal.

The Lakelander
12-04-2008, 04:40 AM
For what it's worth, the Steelers gave several players Wednesday off as well.

stillers4me
12-04-2008, 06:10 AM
For what it's worth, the Steelers gave several players Wednesday off as well.

That's only one day and it's only a few players (Hines has said it's working well for him and I can't argue with that). We'll see how it plays out. I don't see it as disrespect but as a coaching style that may be biting them in the butt every December. Let's hope so. I don't think any team playing us this month is taking us lightly.

But it they are, that's fine with me, too. :tt02:

I enjoyed reading TNewman41's posts, also. Welcome aboard, Cowboy! :hatsoff:

revefsreleets
12-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Concede the non-conference game to a superior opponent on their turf and focus on your own conference and division games?

SteelMember
12-04-2008, 12:56 PM

Just my 2 cents-hopefully, this is just a case where a few of the vets were merely getting a day's rest.

Guess pac-man wanted some rest too. At least he got to wear his pj's.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/12/a-picture-of-pacman-jones-homer-simpson.html

I would have just posted the picture, but couldn't make it work. :noidea: Gary?

klick81
12-04-2008, 07:06 PM
I can only hope that he gives ALL his players the entire week off. That would be saweet!

Preacher
12-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Guess pac-man wanted some rest too. At least he got to wear his pj's.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/12/a-picture-of-pacman-jones-homer-simpson.html

I would have just posted the picture, but couldn't make it work. :noidea: Gary?

Absolutely hilarious picture!!

As far as the rest goes, I think it is actually a very good idea. Too be honest, I'd be a little less worried about the game if they DID workout every day.

markymarc
12-05-2008, 08:22 PM
No biggie to me, but the Cowgirls better be ready for the cold and snow and of course getting hit very often.

steeltheone
12-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Pacman....What a Bum....No wonder they struggle as a team.

Hapa
12-05-2008, 09:43 PM
I think that's fine, we should do that sometimes too.