PDA

View Full Version : Dallas fans still having nightmares.

mesaSteeler
12-04-2008, 08:07 AM
(Ah this does my heart good to know that CowGirl fans still have nightmares for over thirty years. For those of you who did not see the second Steeler/Cowgirl Superbowl this article might not make a lot of sense. - mesa)

Cowboys-Steelers can bring out the worst of nightmares
By David Thomas / McClatchy Newspapers | Wednesday, December 3, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Columnists
http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1136468&format=&page=2&listingType=sco#articleFull

FORT WORTH, Texas — I had the weirdest dream. It was like dreaming forward and backward at the same time.

But, I guess, if anything is going to cause any weird dreams this week, it’s the looming matchup between the Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers. Hey, as important as this game is for the Cowboys’ playoff chances, most Cowboys fans would probably be happy just to be able to sleep long enough to have a weird dream.

Anyway, the Cowboys were playing the Steelers in my dream, and it was a "HUGE" game. Almost like a Super Bowl.

On the pregame shows, all they talked about was Cowboys linebacker Bradie James saying Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger "couldn’t spell ’cat’ if you spotted him the ’c’ and the ’a.’"

The Cowboys started the game by driving into Steelers territory, but turned the ball over when Terrell Owens fumbled the handoff from Marion Barber on what was supposed to be a reverse pass. Pittsburgh promptly marched downfield and took a 7-0 lead on Roethlisberger’s pass to Santonio Holmes.

It was 7-7 when a play you could only dream up occurred. Roethlisberger collided with Willie Parker in the backfield, and the ball popped loose.

Big Ben picked up the ball and scrambled right. DeMarcus Ware grabbed Roethlisberger and Greg Ellis stole the ball from the quarterback and took off for a stunning touchdown and a 14-7 Cowboys lead.

That lead was short-lived. On Pittsburgh’s next possession, Holmes caught a short pass, broke an attempted tackle by Pacman Jones and raced 75 or 80 yards for a tying touchdown. The Steelers then went up 21-14 right before halftime.

It was a great game, and the defenses really started dominating in the third quarter.

I will never forget what happened next in my dream. I can still see it like it is an NFL Films highlight or something.

The Cowboys were in the Steelers’ red zone, at the 10, poised for the tying score. On third down, Tony Romo dropped back and threw a pass over the middle to backup tight end Martellus Bennett, who was all alone in the end zone. Bennett slid to the ground to make the catch. And then ... he dropped the ball.

"Aw, bless his heart," I could hear Brad Sham say on the radio. "He’s got to be the sickest man in America." Maybe so, but I’ll never forgive Bennett.

Dallas had to settle for a field goal and trailed 21-17.

Then the Cowboys got robbed. Their "Phillips Doomsday III-IV" defense was on the verge of stopping Pittsburgh when Terence Newman and Steelers receiver Hines Ward collided on a pass play and fell to the turf. The ref closest to the play waved incomplete. The ref watching from Egypt, or some place possibly even farther away, threw his flag. It was obvious incidental contact! If anything, Ward tripped over Newman!

But Pittsburgh got the pass interference call and scored, then scored again for a 35-17 lead.

The Cowboys didn’t quit, though. Romo threw a short touchdown pass to Jason Witten with less than 3 minutes remaining, the Cowboys recovered an onside kick, and Romo threw a touchdown pass to Roy Williams with 22 seconds left.

But one last onside-kick attempt failed, and that was it. Steelers 35, Cowboys 31. End of dream.

Was that game basically the end of the Cowboys’ dream season? I think I’ll go take a nap to find out.

___

Visit the Star-Telegram on the World Wide Web at http://www.star-telegram.com.
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1136468

SCSTILLER
12-04-2008, 08:57 AM
That lead was short-lived. On Pittsburgh’s next possession, Holmes caught a short pass, broke an attempted tackle by Pacman Jones and raced 75 or 80 yards for a tying touchdown. The Steelers then went up 21-14 right before halftime.

This part of the article/dream is BS, it says Holmes broke and attempted tackle by Pacman Jones. When was the last time Adam attempted to tackle anyone besides his bodygaurd

lilyoder6
12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
or he must of been thinking of the game...

Steelman16
12-05-2008, 01:47 AM
:toofunny:

Nice article. Well done.

I'd definitely call that a "flashback". :laughing:

RoethlisBURGHer
12-05-2008, 02:17 AM
That's effen great!

southmofan
12-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Bennett doesn't drop touchdown passes.

fansince'76
12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Bennett doesn't drop touchdown passes.

Neither did Jackie Smith, until SB XIII anyway. :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
12-05-2008, 11:54 AM
In fact, for the first time in years. I have worn the very old, beat up faded, Terry Bradshaw Jersey to work today.

yes, I am waking up the echoes of the old time rivalry. People have been standing in awe of the greatness of Terry's jersey all day long here at the office.

Dallas fans, just twitch at the sight of it.

southmofan
12-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Neither did Jackie Smith, until SB XIII anyway. :coffee:

Really? Jackie's stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/jackiesmith/profile?id=SMI344578)for the season he played with the Cowboys:

1978 Dallas Cowboys 12 games -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

So truthfully, while playing for Dallas, that's ALL he did.

:banging:

fansince'76
12-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Really? Jackie's stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/jackiesmith/profile?id=SMI344578)for the season he played with the Cowboys:

1978 Dallas Cowboys 12 games -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

So truthfully, while playing for Dallas, that's ALL he did.

:banging:

He's a HoF TE now, so though he wasn't productive for the '78 'Boys, he wasn't exactly a scrub either. That drop kept him out of the HoF for a number of years, though.

southmofan
12-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I still haven't forgiven him. lol

Those were some great teams back in those days.

fansince'76
12-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Those were some great teams back in those days.

Agreed - IMO, the NFL peaked in the '70s. My only regret is that I wasn't a bit older at the time and didn't start following the game until I was an 8-year-old in 1976. :drink:

Hypocycloid3
12-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Makes sense even if you didn't see Super Bowl XIII!! But if you wanna watch it, it's on tonight on NFL network Direct TV Ch 212 at 8pm Mt (6PM ET) Dallas Cowboys vs. Pittsburgh Steelers From Jan. 21, 1979 at the Orange Bowl in Miami.