PDA

View Full Version : Barber game time decision: Updated - Barber Out

Burghfan58
12-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Looks like Barber might not be able to go. Ware and Pacman are in.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/120508dnspocowbriefs.32f1166.html

BrandonCarr39
12-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Looks like Barber might not be able to go. Ware and Pacman are in.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/120508dnspocowbriefs.32f1166.html

Yeah-it'll be interesting now how we counter the blitzes. Tashard Choice will be our starter, but he's a rookie. We'll also likely add Coleman for the game.

lilyoder6
12-05-2008, 07:35 PM
if barber is not starting that does hurt a lot.. he is so good at what he does... and choice is a smaller back that will have 2 pick up blitzes from harrison/woodly who are like twice his weight lol

BrandonCarr39
12-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Like I said earlier, putting Coleman on the active roster all but means Barber won't play, at least IMHO.

http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/cowboys/2008/12/you-won-if-you-had-quincy-butler-in-the-pool.html

You Won if You Had Quincy Butler in the Pool

Almost feel bad for former TCU cornerback Quincy Butler. According to a source, Butler will be the one who is cut to make room for Alonzo Coleman to the active roster.
Butler was signed by the Cowboys off the Saints practice squad on Oct. 29, and spend the past four games on the inactive list. He was on the team during training camp but was one of the final cuts.

- Mac Engel

BrandonCarr39
12-05-2008, 07:51 PM
if barber is not starting that does hurt a lot.. he is so good at what he does... and choice is a smaller back that will have 2 pick up blitzes from harrison/woodly who are like twice his weight lol

FWIW-when Julius Jones was here, he was actually an even better blitz picker-upper than Barber. Of course, as a runner, he wasn't very good.

steeltheone
12-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Choice looks like a nice little back.....This just won't be his week though

RoethlisBURGHer
12-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Tashard Choice had a nice game last week, but that was against the piss-poor defense of the Seagulls.

This week, he gets his first career start....good for him...except it's against the best defense in the NFL.

markymarc
12-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I actually think Barber is one tough S.O.B. I would be surprised if he does not play on Sunday. If he doesn't go then good luck Choice because you are going to need against the Steelers.

OX1947
12-05-2008, 09:17 PM
I dont think he plays on Sunday. If does though, he wont last the full game. It will be 25 degrees on Sunday and muddy, cowboys will be in a world of hurt.

BrandonCarr39
12-05-2008, 09:21 PM
What does FWIW mean? Well anyways, an injured Marion Barber doesnt bode well for the Cowboys...i still expect a really hard game. People are way too hyped about the Steelers owning the Patriots.

For what it's worth

43Hitman
12-05-2008, 09:25 PM
What does FWIW mean? Well anyways, an injured Marion Barber doesnt bode well for the Cowboys...i still expect a really hard game. People are way too hyped about the Steelers owning the Patriots.

nevermind

BrandonCarr39
12-05-2008, 11:31 PM
For anyone who's still up and wants some entertainment, one of our local news stations talked with Tashard Choice and his thoughts on stepping in for Barber, and there's also a clip of Ryan Clark talking about Romo and celebrities at the end(which, I'll admit, I found amusing).

hfJanFLp1oo&eurl

tony hipchest
12-06-2008, 12:32 AM
:laughing:

i dont know what hit was harder, the one on welker, or the one on jessica.

lol. she does suck.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-06-2008, 12:57 AM
That Ryan Clark vid was hilarious :rofl:

I think a lot of people will be surprised by Choice. He's a good RB, but he's a rookie and might find that out in blitz pickup.

The Lakelander
12-06-2008, 03:35 AM
Looks like Barber is playing now.

NYC SteelersFan
12-06-2008, 03:40 AM

In all honestly, Cassel+Moss+Welker+Belichick= a much better offense than Romo+Owens+Witten+Wade and considering the Pittsburgh defense absolutely abused the Patriots offense, it's not far fetched to expect the same kind of domination against the Cowboys offense. Now what our offense does against a better Cowboys defense is a different story.

LambertIsGod58
12-06-2008, 04:02 AM
I don't think Barber would be much of a difference maker. The Cowboys have an A$$ whoopin' comin' and as Mad Dog would say "they can take it anyway they want to take it. But they're gonna take it".

Galax Steeler
12-06-2008, 06:00 AM
It will be a tough game for who ever starts in the bacfield with woodley, Harrison, Timmons coming in from every direction.

Texasteel
12-06-2008, 07:06 AM
I actually think Barber is one tough S.O.B. I would be surprised if he does not play on Sunday. If he doesn't go then good luck Choice because you are going to need against the Steelers.

Even if he does, I'm hearing that his acceleration just isn't there, and he may have problems picking up a blitz.

stillers4me
12-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the vid TNewman41......hilarious!

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-06-2008, 10:04 AM
It will be a tough game for who ever starts in the bacfield with woodley, Harrison, Timmons coming in from every direction.
True, but Greg Ellis, Tank Johnson, Chris Canty, Demarcus Ware, Brady James, Zach Thomas are no slouches either. Plus I think the Cowboys have a much better O line than we do.

Gonna be a real competitive game.

Respect everyone.............fear none!

steelpride12
12-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Honestly Barber being in the line up or not should not affect the outcome IMO. I think the Steelers first key would be to stop the run like we do game after game which would eliminate him as a threat. None the less is does hurt the Boys chances and gives the Defense more room to feed on Romo.

lilyoder6
12-06-2008, 02:00 PM
but barber is such a pyschical player that he is one of the few rb's that like 2 block..

BrandonCarr39
12-06-2008, 02:08 PM
For anyone who's bored now on this Sat afternoon(with nothing on tv), here's a decent article about our run game from one of our local news guys...

Dec 5, 2008 11:14 AM
Road Barbarian

Posted by CBS11

How much do the Cowboys need Marion Barber on Sunday in Pittsburgh? With game time temperatures expected to be in the mid-20s with a 60% chance of snow, you would think the running game will be very important.
And, check out how the Cowboys have seemed to rely on the running game in their road games this year. The disparity in Barber's numbers home vs. road is surprising.

In six road games this season, Barber has 122 carries for 535 yards rushing and 5 TDs. That's 4.39 yards per carry.

In six home games this season, Barber has 103 carries for 235 yards rushing and 2 TDs. That's a mere 2.28 yards per carry.

That's an incredible difference in production. And, throw in Barber's receiving numbers, and the difference is even more pronounced.

Road: 147 touches--771 yards--6 TDs--5.24 yards per touch
Home: 125 touches--365 yards--3 TDs--2.92 yards per touch

Why the disparity? Well, a small part of it is that 2 of the 6 road games were started by Brad Johnson at QB, and a third was Tony Romo's 1st appearance after his finger injury (a 14-10 win at Washington). Only one of the home games was started by Johnson.

But moreso, I think it comes down to a mindset--that of Jason Garrett and the entire offense, especially the offensive line. When the team plays on the road, they know going in that they are going to have to establish a ground game to survive. At Texas Stadium, I think there's more of an attitude of pressing the envelope with all the weapons in the passing game since this team is able to play in pristine conditions at home. There's no wind issue, and cold and rain have been non-factors.

Bottom line is, whether its Marion Barber or Tashard Choice, the Cowboys better be able to have a dependable ground game Sunday if they are going to have any success against the best defense in the NFL.

Oh, and by the way, it figures to be the coldest weather the club has played in since November 23, 1997--a nightmarish 45-17 loss at Green Bay where the game time temperature was 22 degrees. In that game, the Packers' Dorsey Levens ran for 190 yards on 33 carries. Emmitt Smith had 59 yards on 11 carries.

Bill Jones

BrandonCarr39
12-06-2008, 02:28 PM
*ugh* Barber's not only out for this game, but he didn't make the trip. :banging: for me, but I guess good for you guys.

Either way-Choice was a very good player in GA State, so good or bad, I would like to see how he steps up.

markymarc
12-06-2008, 02:32 PM
*ugh* Barber's not only out for this game, but he didn't make the trip. :banging: for me, but I guess good for you guys.

Either way-Choice was a very good player in GA State, so good or bad, I would like to see how he steps up.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing TNewman41. I am surprised he didn't even make the trip. We shall see if Choice is up to the challenge. Nothing against Choice, but he is going against the #1 NFL defense. Also to see how good/bad he is at picking up the blitz.

Fire Haley
12-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Barber OUT

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=0DD26B43-048F-14F9-8624244B3E12428A

BrandonCarr39
12-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing TNewman41. I am surprised he didn't even make the trip. We shall see if Choice is up to the challenge. Nothing against Choice, but he is going against the #1 NFL defense. Also to see how good/bad he is at picking up the blitz.

Make no mistake-while I think he'll do a decent job in blitz pick-upping, rookies ARE inexperienced, so I expect his fair share of miscues. I just hope Romo plays smart and does a good job protecting the ball throughout this game, b/c it's going to be a very tough, tight game which will likely be dominated by the defenses.

Edit: Barber also is a key safety valve for Romo in the passing game(with those dumpoffs) as well. You probably saw the segment with Dukes/Woodson the NFLN talking about the game, and they showed clips of Barber running nice routes in the Sun night Skins game last month that he got for 1st downs.

Just thinking out loud here more...my guess is that Garrett will counter that by 1) Putting Cricket(our FB), Bennett, or Curtis(our 3rd string TE) in the backfield more to help out with the blitzes, and/or 2) Have Cricket involved more in the passing game with those dumpoffs, which are one of his strengths, and/or 3) Run 5 wide/2 TE sets more to get more receivers in the open field.

eafratitpm3
12-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Just saw this on NFL network, Barber did not make the trip to Pittsburgh

Makaveli
12-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Doesn't matter,....we still have the rest of their roster to contend with. Even were he to play,.....nothing would change.

They (Cowgirls) have a great deal of talent on both sides of the ball. (Not just in terms of their backfield) And as such,...we must keep things in perspective.

Bottom line,..... we must be prepared to apply the necessary force to be victorious,... no matter who stands against us upon the field.

tyler289
12-06-2008, 05:43 PM
This is huge because Barber is such a physical runner who also can catch passes. He's dangerous as hell in open field, and, well, we seem to have a tough time against dump-offs.

Now, they put a rookie back there who isn't anywhere as good as Barber. If we can force Dallas to be one-dimensional, then the game should go our way.

Dino 6 Rings
12-06-2008, 06:08 PM
I would guess that Dallas is still going to try and Rush early and attack our strength. Of coarse, our Pass D is also a strength this year so its a futal effort by them.

This game is going to be the same as all the other games have been this year and will be the rest of the season. Bottom line, the game comes down to Our Offense performing at its best and putting up over 24 points. Our D is so good, it doesn't matter what other team we play. Its all about the Steelers Offense getting enough points to win the game. Ben needs to be sharp, the oline needs to open up holes and the receivers need to make every single catch. That's it, the D will do what it does. Smash in people's skulls and break their spirits.

southmofan
12-06-2008, 06:55 PM
You guys aren't worried because Choice was only a fourth round pick? lol

Guess what round BARBER was drafted in?

Steeler fans, of all people, should know that running backs on the bench can still be awfully dangerous on the field.

Choice is shiftier and faster than Barber, not as strong but who is? Taashard probably won't block as well, and may not be as good a receiver out of the backfield, but he's pretty good for a rookie.

Problem for Dallas is Choice is the last running back of any worth that they have.

Romo will have to go to the air more, which ironically, is probably better for Dallas. If the Cowboys win, it will be because of Romo.

ShutDown24
12-06-2008, 07:18 PM
You guys aren't worried because Choice was only a fourth round pick? lol

Guess what round BARBER was drafted in?

Steeler fans, of all people, should know that running backs on the bench can still be awfully dangerous on the field.

Choice is shiftier and faster than Barber, not as strong but who is? Taashard probably won't block as well, and may not be as good a receiver out of the backfield, but he's pretty good for a rookie.

Problem for Dallas is Choice is the last running back of any worth that they have.

Romo will have to go to the air more, which ironically, is probably better for Dallas. If the Cowboys win, it will be because of Romo.

I don't think anyone specified we aren't worried of Choice because he's a fourth rounder... It's more that he has a significant lack of skill and experience at the running back position than most starters or even backups in the league...

BrandonCarr39
12-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I don't think anyone specified we aren't worried of Choice because he's a fourth rounder... It's more that he has a significant lack of skill and experience at the running back position than most starters or even backups in the league...

Like I was saying earlier, Romo needs to pay EXTRA attention in protecting that ball. Yes, I agree that even a rookie that's the number 1 overall pick has a big learning curve throughout the season, which is why I expect Choice to have his fair share of miscues(just hope it's only a few).

But yeah-if Choice misses a pickup, I hope Romo either just takes what the D gives him, or just throw the ball away, etc and play for another down.

Even WITH Barber, this game will be one big defensive struggle...assuming neither team turns the ball over like crazy.

tony hipchest
12-06-2008, 07:54 PM
i think i heard dallas was -4 in the turnover ratio and pitt is +5.

BrandonCarr39
12-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Consider the source(BSPN), but this is the FIRST I've heard about this. I hope this isn't true.:mad:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3750017

Source: Cowboys' Barber doesn't make trip to Pittsburgh, Ware questionable

"The Cowboys could also be without DeMarcus Ware, who had practiced throughout the week with a protective brace on the knee he hyperextended last week, a source told ESPN on Saturday. The status of the NFL's sack leader for the game against the Steelers will not be known with certainty until pregame warmups.

The confidence that prompted Ware to say he was ready to go "full blast'' has been tempered by new concern about how the cold weather in Pittsburgh might affect his ability to keep the damaged knee joint loose during the game."

BrandonCarr39
12-06-2008, 07:59 PM
i think i heard dallas was -4 in the turnover ratio and pitt is +5.

Terrence Newman is finally healthy now-he injured his groin in TC, missed the first game, hobbled in the next couple...before getting sports hernia surgery where he missed a month.

Ware is arguably our best D player, but Newman is the heart and soul of our entire D b/c of the energy he pumps into that entire unit. If anything, we seem to get more TOs when he's healthy and in the lineup.

43Hitman
12-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, if I were a Dallas fan I would be much more worried about Ware playing than I would Barber. Without Ware Dallas is going to have a tough time getting pressure, unless they use alot of stunts.

HughC
12-06-2008, 08:04 PM
One concern I do have is perhaps a bit of an emotional letdown after last week's game. Especially with the news that Barber is out, it's a possibility. I know these guys are all professionals and all, but it does happen in the NFL.

tony hipchest
12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
i think the steelers are offended and will take exception to the fact that someone like pacman jones is allowed to even walk into their stadium and step onto their grass.

there may be hell to pay.

billybob
12-06-2008, 08:23 PM
i think the steelers are offended and will take exception to the fact that someone like pacman jones is allowed to even walk into their stadium and step onto their grass.

there may be hell to pay.

I can feel ya there Tony. Kind of goes against the grain. It is a shame that both teams can not lay all thier cards on the table for this one. Injuries are a part of the game,and we both have them. There is nothing like takin a team behind the woodshed with everyone in tact. When we dish out the whuppin,there is no doubt we we hear the excuses fly!

jjpro11
12-06-2008, 08:49 PM
One concern I do have is perhaps a bit of an emotional letdown after last week's game. Especially with the news that Barber is out, it's a possibility. I know these guys are all professionals and all, but it does happen in the NFL.

maybe if we were playing the raiders or chiefs.. cant see a letdown facing the cowboys. this will most likely be the highest tv rated game of the nfl this year. its hard to not get up for that.. especially when the jailbirds are one game behind.

Steelers Since '75
12-06-2008, 09:01 PM
If Dallas was just missing Barber then I was a little more confident that our D would hold Choice to minimal yardage... because, face it, who as a rookie excels against the Blitzburgh D. LeBeau will take care of Choice. Romo is who we need to shut down.

On D, if Ware is out, I don't care how much an emotional boost Nueman gives Dallas... that is a MAJOR loss... like Pittsburgh losing Harrison.

If Barber and Ware are gone for a matchup at Heinz Field in a cold harsh climate... PITTSBURGH WINS! :tt::tt02::tt:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
12-06-2008, 09:04 PM
One dimentional - Good for the Steelers, baaaaaaaaaaaad for The Girls.

Stylez1877
12-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Cowboys relying on a rookie to block the BIG profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterIN HARrISOn and LAY THE profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterING WOOD WOODLEY!?!?!?
I
I Can't wiat till the game.sorry I been drinking but what I say is still true.
And there is a Santa Claus

ben7
12-06-2008, 09:51 PM
If he doesnt play the running game wont be affective just with Felix Jones. When the Cowboy offense losses a key component like there starting RB the Felix Jones cant opperate by himself.

PalmerSteel
12-06-2008, 10:05 PM
If he doesnt play the running game wont be affective just with Felix Jones. When the Cowboy offense losses a key component like there starting RB the Felix Jones cant opperate by himself.

felix was put on IR a couple weeks ago. it will be tashard choice in his firs tstart.

southmofan
12-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Choice has gotten his feet wet the last two-three weeks, so he'll be pretty good, with medium range play making ability. He'll give up something in pass protection MAYBE. Cowboys will likely compensate by keeping in a TE on passing situations. That's what they usually do.

DeMarcus Ware is going to play and should be fine once the hitting starts.

Cowboys are playing well right now, but they have a coach who isn't a great leader. Not even a good one. So there's really no telling what Cowboys team is going to show up.

If the good one shows up, you guys will have your hands full and then some, but if the group that played Cincy, the Rams, or Arizona shows up, you'll have a very good Sunday.

At any rate, best of luck the rest of the season guys and gals. Cowboy fans genuinely respect your team because of its smash mouth style and ability to find a way to win.

We actually root for you guys a lot, just not this week. Hope to see you at the Bowl.

BrandonCarr39
12-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Choice has gotten his feet wet the last two-three weeks, so he'll be pretty good, with medium range play making ability. He'll give up something in pass protection MAYBE. Cowboys will likely compensate by keeping in a TE on passing situations. That's what they usually do.

DeMarcus Ware is going to play and should be fine once the hitting starts.

Cowboys are playing well right now, but they have a coach who isn't a great leader. Not even a good one. So there's really no telling what Cowboys team is going to show up.

If the good one shows up, you guys will have your hands full and then some, but if the group that played Cincy, the Rams, or Arizona shows up, you'll have a very good Sunday.

At any rate, best of luck the rest of the season guys and gals. Cowboy fans genuinely respect your team because of its smash mouth style and ability to find a way to win.

We actually root for you guys a lot, just not this week. Hope to see you at the Bowl.

Yep-unlike the OTHER Pennsylvania team, the Steelers have always been an organization that I've always admired and respected. No-I didn't root for them all the time, but they've played their fair share of games where I DID do so. Cowher has always been a fun coach to watch.

BTW-Just wanted to say that win or lose, I've enjoyed my time here immensely this week. Having spending most of my time on Cowboys Zone, Extreme Skins, and Giants.com, coming to another teams MB you rarely follow, especially an AFC one where we only play once every 4 years, has really been a fresh change of pace.

Best of luck for tomorrow!

lilyoder6
12-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Yep-unlike the OTHER Pennsylvania team, the Steelers have always been an organization that I've always admired and respected. No-I didn't root for them all the time, but they've played their fair share of games where I DID do so. Cowher has always been a fun coach to watch.

BTW-Just wanted to say that win or lose, I've enjoyed my time here immensely this week. Having spending most of my time on Cowboys Zone, Extreme Skins, and Giants.com, coming to another teams MB you rarely follow, especially an AFC one where we only play once every 4 years, has really been a fresh change of pace.

Best of luck for tomorrow!

:crying01: it has been a blast here this week...

i do think that choice won't be as effective in blocking as barber was, but like u said they'll use a te

LVSteelersfan
12-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Harrison knocks huge tackles on their heels. You think a rookie RB is going to hold him off Romo. I highly doubt it. Besides Woodley will be coming from the other side. And Casey Hampton might get mad again and charge right up the middle.

tony hipchest
12-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Best of luck for tomorrow!i gotta admit, im really suprised and impressed with the respect, lack of smack, and appreciation, you and southmofan have shown.

you guys have kept it real and brought some good football talk and analysis to the table. i live in cowboy country, so its rare i meet a fan that can put their outlandish homerism aside.

while my dislike of the cowboys will always run deep, i have appreciation for 2 more of their fans :drink:

with that being said, nothing will make me happier than to put another stamp on our season, notch in our belt, and completely crush the cowboys playoff hopes today. :cool:

today is a stepping stone with playoff atmosphere (yet another HUGE game for the black n gold), and if the steelers win it, their 1st game in the playoffs should be like childsplay.