PDA

View Full Version : FOX NFL Sunday Roundtable: Men of Steel

mesaSteeler
12-06-2008, 10:50 AM
FOX NFL Sunday Roundtable: Men of Steel
by FOX NFL Sunday
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8896506/FOX-NFL-Sunday-Roundtable:-Men-of-Steel
Updated: December 5, 2008, 10:11 PM EST 128 comments

Every week, the experts of FOX NFL Sunday will candidly reveal their observations and make their opinions known as they prepare for their top-rated pregame telecast seen each Sunday at 12 p.m. ET/9 a.m. PT. We'll share with you some of the highlights and observations from Curt, Terry, Howie, Jimmy and Strahan grabbed from their weekly conference call with insider John Czarnecki and pregame show producer Scott Ackerson.

This week, Czar probes FOX NFL Sunday on the big games of the week, including the huge matchup of former Super Bowl rivals Dallas and Pittsburgh.

THIS WEEK'S FOX NFL SUNDAY PANEL

Czar: "The math for the Cowboys to make the playoffs is not good. How do you expect them to play against the Steelers?"

Michael Strahan: "I think the Cowboys have to win this game from the standpoint that they have to learn if they can compete against the best. Because the last two games that they have won were against teams that aren't really that good. As much as the Cowboys like to say that they are back, and that T.O. is back in the offense, they still have to prove to themselves that they can beat a good team. Marion Barber's injury situation could be a factor. On top of that, you have to remember that Dallas has had problems protecting the quarterback. Here you have these two beasts at linebacker and a safety who is a freaking madman who loves to blitz.

You know they are going to try to knock Tony Romo's head off.

I don't know if Dallas is relentless enough for 60 minutes to keep those pass rushers off of Romo. I'm just not sure how good their offensive tackles are."

Czar: "So, it's up to the Dallas line to win? Isn't this a bad matchup for the Cowboys?"

Terry Bradshaw: "Pittsburgh cannot wait for Dallas to get there. "

MS: "I agree."

TB: "I tell you right now, they cannot wait for the Cowboys."

Curt Menefee: "You're going with the home team, then?"

TB: "All day long. The way they won in New England, you have no idea what that did for the Steelers. They are stoked. They feel like the rest of the season, right into the playoffs, that nobody can beat them. They are jacked up. They cannot wait for Dallas to get there. Trust me. They will get after Romo. They will blitz him and also spy him ... and if Barber cannot play, that means rookie Tashard Choice will be responsible for blitz pick-ups. If I know the Steelers, like I think I do, this could be a whipping."

Howie Long: "Those are two special linebackers in LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison."

TB: "Dick LeBeau does such a great job scheming that Pittsburgh defense. Romo better be ready. They will be coming from all sides. When he has single coverage on the outside, Romo better be quick with it and he better be accurate or it's going to be a long day."

(Rest of the article is not about our Steelers.

People were trying to come up with a new name for our Defense.

How about STEEL SWARM?

It's based on a Terry Bradshaw comment from the above article, " They will be coming from all sides". As much as I like the Steel Curtain it is from a different era. These are different players so maybe they should have their own unique name. - mesa)

Fire Haley
12-06-2008, 11:03 AM
My nipples get all tingly just reading that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I hope its easy, but dont think it will be. We all talk about Harrison and Woodley, but Ware and Ellis are just as formidable a tandem.

Plus, the Cowboys OT's Adams and Columbo are much better than Starks and Colon. Its gotta be a great team effort and Stapleton, Colon, Miller have to be great run blockers this week. I got a feeling we are running right a lot for big plays.

#1LambertFan
12-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I wanna say Steel Storm or Steel Hurricane. Swarm doesn't sound reckless and destructive enough, but neither of those sound as good.

Tankus_Maximus
12-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Shrapnel Storm?

mesaSteeler
12-06-2008, 11:21 AM
I wanna say Steel Storm or Steel Hurricane. Swarm doesn't sound reckless and destructive enough, but neither of those sound as good.

I'd go with Steel Storm. As far as swarm I was just thinking of how blitzes can come from anywhere and how they swarm down the opposing QB. Hurricane is a bit to long for me. Though the more I think of it I like the idea of having a unique name for this defense.

#1LambertFan
12-06-2008, 11:25 AM
I hope its easy, but dont think it will be. We all talk about Harrison and Woodley, but Ware and Ellis are just as formidable a tandem.

Plus, the Cowboys OT's Adams and Columbo are much better than Starks and Colon. Its gotta be a great team effort and Stapleton, Colon, Miller have to be great run blockers this week. I got a feeling we are running right a lot for big plays.

Just as formidable? Almost as formidable? Maybe. Very good? Yes. Just as formidable? NO. They have played nothing but poor teams outside of their conference.

Comparisons:
Woodley: 48 tackles, 12 sacks, 2 FF, 1 Int
Ellis: 25 tackles, 5 sacks, 0 FF, 1 Int

Harrison: 80 tackles, 14 sacks, 6 FF, 1 Int
Ware: 62 tackles, 15 sacks, 2 FF, 0 Int

Wow these stats make me think of Ham, and Lambert.

#1LambertFan
12-06-2008, 11:40 AM
I'd go with Steel Storm. As far as swarm I was just thinking of how blitzes can come from anywhere and how they swarm down the opposing QB. Hurricane is a bit to long for me. Though the more I think of it I like the idea of having a unique name for this defense.

All 3 look great written out but I wish their was just a sign as to a word for something that epitomizes the blitzing style. Yeah the unique thing is good. Steel curtain came from Winston Churchill's "Iron Curtain."

mesaSteeler
12-06-2008, 11:45 AM
All 3 look great written out but I wish their was just a sign as to a word for something that epitomizes the blitzing style. Yeah the unique thing is good. Steel curtain came from Winston Churchill's "Iron Curtain."

Interesting point.

We could call it Steel Blitz which would reference both the German armor tactics and bombing of London.

Judging by your sig you are a Lambert fan so you will love the "Steel Rose" article I posted today.

bradness113
12-06-2008, 01:30 PM
woodley has a td too btw

lilyoder6
12-06-2008, 02:57 PM
those are some scary stats of harrisona nd woodly... still can't beleive this game isn't prime-time

BrandonCarr39
12-06-2008, 03:32 PM
FWIW, here's Jay Novacek's predictions. I know he's a homer, but his record is 8-4 when he picks the Cowboys games.:drink: So I guess he's doing pretty good.:tt02:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26649461/

Cowboys (8-4) at Steelers (9-3)
The Cowboys tend to get a little sloppy when they play against an overmatched team. Their talent makes up for any mental errors.

That begs the question: How focused will Dallas be against Pittsburgh? We know the Steelers won't do anything fancy against Dallas, they'll just come out and shut down the run, pressure Tony Romo and try to wear down the Cowboys' defense.

And if the weather gets nasty, it'll slow down the Cowboys' offense, which wants a fast playing surface. The key there is how the Cowboys' offensive line plays. They'll have to be physical and nasty against the Steelers, or they'll be overrun.

I think the Cowboys are catching the Steelers at the right time. Pittsburgh's played a brutal schedule and has found ways to win close games. I think they're due for a sub-par performance.

Pick: Cowboys

SanAntonio'sHomes
12-06-2008, 05:30 PM
How about the "UNION OF STEEL" :tt:

Makaveli
12-06-2008, 07:23 PM
I think the Cowboys are catching the Steelers at the right time. Pittsburgh's played a brutal schedule and has found ways to win close games. I think they're due for a sub-par performance.

I think that the proposed "difficulty" our schedule is only pertinent because the offense has played so averagely/poorly all year long.

And IMO,...this game,... along with the contests with the Titans and Rats,... will in truth prove to be the actual measure of our worth as a "Team".

Steelers-31, Dallas-13.

CanadianSteel
12-06-2008, 10:50 PM
My nipples get all tingly just reading that.

I think I got a "semi" reading Bradshaw's comments myself...:doh:

Cowboys injuries may help but still a very talented team that we need to bring our A game against. Dont turn it over and I think we win !:tt03:

BrandonCarr39
12-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Uh....and over the period of 12 games on our "brutal" schedule, we've found ways to win 9 of them, and our losses are only to good teams. Every win on this tough schedule gives us a bigger boost of confidence and momentum than the wins the cowboys are getting. Right now, the Steelers are beckoning for a good team to take them on. Blowing out the Patriots has without a doubt been the greatest win all year. We thoroghly, dominantly, and lopsidedly put them out of it in all 3 phases of football. And i dont know if you know this, but there are plenty of steeler fans like me, who hate the patriots more than anybody, even more than our divisional rivals. And when you win like that against someone you hate so bad, you actually WANT a couple more sittings just to feel that rush of pride again. Tony Romo may have been sacked only 8 times this season, but he's been up against mostly sub par teams, and he's missed 3 games too. This is the #1 defense here, #1 in pass, run, total yards, points allowed, red zone, 3rd down, and sacks. Thats a remarkable feat. And anyone who thinks our defense is afraid of someone is sadly mistaken. The Steelers are invincible against a one dimensional team. So unless somehow Tashard and Coleman crank out yards, the black and gold remains on top. Steelers score a manageable 22.4 points a game. I really doubt the cowboys can top that with a 4th round running back who's never started, and a practice squad running back whos never even PLAYED in an NFL game. I agree that the Steelers are in for an overall, subpar performance because the cowboys are a great team, but with all of your injuries, the Steelers catch a lucky break, and in fact, the cowboys are catching the Steelers at the WRONG time. This is why:

1) We've just annihilated arguably our most hated rival, and therefore brimming with confidence and bolstered with momentum.

2) We're riding a 3 game win streak, longest of the season for us.

3) We are VERY healthy right now, especially compared to the cowboys. Our starting DE Brett Keisel and LT Marvel Smith are the only steelers out, and both have not been missed much when they have been out because our backups have performed so brilliantly. We are also getting Bryant Mcfadden back who has 2 interceptions and 6 passes defensed while starting only 5 games. The cowboys on the other hand, are losing Barber for the game, and we all know what that will do for their groundgame because barber is so dam good. Felix Jones, obviously out for the season, and 2 unproven running backs are filling in against the #1 run defense. Also, theyre going to missed WR Miles Austin who has been great when he's had the ball, and Rookie CB Mike Jenkins who has also been phenomenal in very limited playing time. Plus, Demarcus Ware and Roy E Williams are playing hurt, although they are definitely playing.

4) The weather in Pittsburgh will be in the 20's-30's if i recall correctly with wet snow. That bodes terribly for both offenses, especially the cowboys who are a pass oriented team. The Steelers are just getting back to their run game so they can handle it better.

5) Steelers are at home

6) Pacman Jones probably wont be smooth as silk, since he missed so much practice time.

7) Steelers are #1 in return coverage, no good returns are likely for the cowboys.

So i dont see why the cowboys are catching the steelers at the right time. :noidea: I think its the other way around.

I'll admit, I kinda envy your team. The system the Rooneys have set up where they emphasize stability and continuity is really amazing. ONLY 3 coaches throughout this team's tenure...WOW! You know nowdays how in this new NFL with FA/salary cap, much more pressure is put on coaches to perform...if anything, they're given a 4 year ultimatum(at most) alot like college. Look at Bill Parcells and how many teams he bolted when things weren't going his way. Sure, he always gets a pass b/c of his 2 Super Bowls...but even HE feels the heat as well.

Ultimately, you have to give the Rooneys alot of credit for exercising patience. And to boot, with 95% of wide receivers in this league being me-me prima-donas, whether it's Owens, Moss, CJ, Plaxico, Steve Smith, etc...you really have to admire Hines Ward for portraying himself on and off the field as an overall great guy(Come to think of it, Larry Fitzgerald is the only other stud WR that has this image as well).

As for Mike Tomlin-I thought it was a bad move on the Rooneys part not so much b/c of his age, but didn't think he had enough experience in the NFL level...but he's surprised me quite a bit over these 2 years.

Anyhow-like I said in another thread-best of luck tomorrow! May the best team win!

MDSteel15
12-08-2008, 01:02 AM
FWIW, here's Jay Novacek's predictions. I know he's a homer, but his record is 8-4 when he picks the Cowboys games.:drink: So I guess he's doing pretty good.:tt02:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26649461/

Cowboys (8-4) at Steelers (9-3)
The Cowboys tend to get a little sloppy when they play against an overmatched team. Their talent makes up for any mental errors.

That begs the question: How focused will Dallas be against Pittsburgh? We know the Steelers won't do anything fancy against Dallas, they'll just come out and shut down the run, pressure Tony Romo and try to wear down the Cowboys' defense.

And if the weather gets nasty, it'll slow down the Cowboys' offense, which wants a fast playing surface. The key there is how the Cowboys' offensive line plays. They'll have to be physical and nasty against the Steelers, or they'll be overrun.

How about, Pick: WRONG