PDA

View Full Version : Union Workers....

revefsreleets
12-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Curious what your response is to this video, in particular the last bit.

http://info.detnews.com/video/index.cfm?id=1189

GBMelBlount
12-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Management is also at fault, but the UAW is the biggest reason our auto industry is in ruins. Liberalism almost always generates the opposite result of it's stated intent. This is a perfect example......

revefsreleets
12-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't want to blast unions indiscriminately. I think they still have a place. Wal-Mart workers probably could use a Union. The people who clean office buildings at night are basically treated like garbage by their employers. There are a few other industries that have deplorable records and need to be held accountable (which is really what a union SHOULD be doing in the first place: creating accountability).

But most industries that are being held ransom by their unions are also being run into the ground because of it...

TackleMeBen
12-06-2008, 03:37 PM
it wont hurt those workers to take a pay cut.. so what if they have to give up their camper and instead of having three cars in the driveway have two... i think between them thinking that the company owes them an arm and a leg that management is also at fault.. they dont need those outlandish salaries to survive.

GBMelBlount
12-06-2008, 03:49 PM
most industries that are being held ransom by their unions are also being run into the ground because of it...

Great point. and yes, some workers at walmart, etc. may appear to be "exploited", but it also is also an issue of supply and demand. Instead of forming unions, if more people became better educated or developed a "skill" and higher paying jobs, there would likely be fewer people to fill the jobs at Walmart or clean offices at night and the wages, etc. would likely go up. THAT is the way it should be imo.

The point is, people shouldn't be looking at Walmart as a career in most cases. With unions, that could happen and my totino's pizzas would go up from $1.25 to $1.50.

fansince'76
12-06-2008, 03:51 PM
The people who clean office buildings at night are basically treated like garbage by their employers.

Don't know about Ohio, but here in Colorado, those jobs are mostly staffed by illegal immigrants who can barely speak a word of English and between 20 of them, wouldn't be able to produce one green card, but that's a whole other issue, really....

TackleMeBen
12-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Don't know about Ohio, but here in Colorado, those jobs are mostly staffed by illegal immigrants who can barely speak a word of English and between 20 of them, wouldn't be able to produce one green card, but that's a whole other issue, really....
76 that comment reminds me of a joke..lol

why dont you play UNO with immigrants??? b/c they would steal all the green cards.

revefsreleets
12-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Wal-Mart deserves to be unionized because they take advantage of the socio-economic status of their employees. Not everyone is cut out to be a skilled worker, and just because they aren't doesn't mean they need to be treated like shit and taken advantage of.

GBMelBlount
12-06-2008, 04:01 PM
I understand what you're saying Revs, but it's a slippery slope, just like government getting involved in things. Unions, like the government, often grow out of control and kill their host. and again, I am irritated that my totinos pizzas already went up from $1.00 to $1.25. Needless to say, I will not be happy if they go up to $1.50 so workers can make more money to pay their union dues that get funneled to liberal campaigns.... :chuckle:

steveironcity
12-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Management is also at fault, but the UAW is the biggest reason our auto industry is in ruins. Liberalism almost always generates the opposite result of it's stated intent. This is a perfect example......

You listen to jim Quinn, Huh?

GBMelBlount
12-06-2008, 07:54 PM
You listen to jim Quinn, Huh?

I did back in the 90's some but not too much any more. Usually it's radio Disney while taking my daughter to school and sometimes quinn on the way back for about 10 minutes or so. But just as often I forget to turn the station. I mean seriously, the Jonas brothers, Taylor Swift...how could you not lov'em? :chuckle:

hindes204
12-07-2008, 10:18 AM
I didnt even know Quinn was still on the radio...does he do a talk show now....i used to listen to quinn and banana in the morning years ago...i think it was on B94

Godfather
12-07-2008, 10:28 AM
They have a legitimate beef in this case. BoA's executives want to stiff everyone. Employees, shareholders, creditors, etc. But those same execs are busy lining their own pockets with other people's money.

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Curious what your response is to this video, in particular the last bit.

http://info.detnews.com/video/index.cfm?id=1189

Maybe this is one of the many reasons Ford is having problems???

Hammer67
12-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Having worked for Ford (in IT) and living in Detroit...I can tell you that this video is EXACTLY what the problem is. Don't get me wrong, the management of the Big 3 has been atrocious...arrogant and greedy. But the UAW is a dinosaur in this new world economy. You should hear some of these people talk. They have no idea what is going on outside of their bubble. I wouldn't either if I got paid $40 an hour to shoot a couple rivets into sheet metal all day long. Plus pension, health care for life on the shareholders, etc.

It's a double edged sword. While it was nice that the company could offer all that stuff for the assembly workers during the "golden" years, it no longer makes sense. Time for the UAW to wake up and join my and the rest of our world. Negotiate your own salary and benefits, and if you don't like your job, find a new company or new line of work. And, take out a 401k already