PDA

View Full Version : Browns have Schottenheimer on radar

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-07-2008, 01:01 PM
If Romeo Crennel is fired by the Browns, a familiar name to Cleveland fans could get a chance to return to coach the team.

AFC North blog

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

The Browns are looking very hard at bringing back Marty Schottenheimer to the place where he got his NFL head coaching start, team sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Schottenheimer has been out of coaching since he was fired by the Chargers after a 14-2 season in 2006.

His resume and his desire to coach a team with some playoff potential could entice him to return, even though he has not stated publicly he's ready to come back.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3752018

Dino 6 Rings
12-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Its not a bad move for the Browns. I don't remember there being any staff infections when he was the coach. He will clean up things and get them heading in the right direction.

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Marty will fit perfectly in Browns Country.

St33lersguy
12-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Smart move to hire the only coach other than Paul Brown that had success with the team, and that says something considering the fact that Bellicheater was coach ( unless he didn't cheat at Cleveland :chuckle:)

Steeler in Carolina
12-07-2008, 03:55 PM
This would be a good hire. I can't believe SD let him go a couple of years ago.

xfl2001fan
12-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Smart move to hire the only coach other than Paul Brown that had success with the team, and that says something considering the fact that Bellicheater was coach ( unless he didn't cheat at Cleveland :chuckle:)

Bellicheat was a failure at Cleveland because of his piss poor attitude and coaches management. He was not able to manage players or his coaching staff effectively. He got better at it later on...plus finding better ways to skirt the rules.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-07-2008, 06:27 PM

It was down to Belichick and Cowher in '91, and Art chose Belichick because The Chin was too much like Marty, :doh:. Stupid choice, and it still haunts the franchise to this day, but enough of that.

Belichick if Art had not moved the team had the team slowly going in the right direction, a couple of the Browns fans I know, who followed the team back then, said the Browns were even picked to contend for the AFC, of course after the announcement was made, the Browns flattened like a pancake.

Marty is a decent choice, it seems almost destiny some what, IF we can't the Chin here, which I don't think has been through out, because on the CBS pregame, him and Boomer easion were dropping hints.

It would kick ass if the Bill came in as head coach and Marty came in as hm an Bill trained Marty's son,, Brian as Bills eventual replacement and then Bill can get a job high up in the Brown, as president/VP.

I'm a dreamer though.

revefsreleets
12-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Smoke. And it's working. The fans in Cleveland aren't going to accept the "same ole same ole". But I can understand why the Browns might launch a disinformation campaign, and I certainly see why Steelers fans would jump on board with it.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Smoke. And it's working. The fans in Cleveland aren't going to accept the "same ole same ole". But I can understand why the Browns might launch a disinformation campaign, and I certainly see why Steelers fans would jump on board with it.

Heard the same actually.

Its just sort of a hint that Cowher is being offered the job.

Again, the way he's acting on CBS and has not given a definitive answer and said "Wait it out 5 games", for the browns. Could be saying a lot.

Dino 6 Rings
12-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Marty and Bill are pretty tight with each other so it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't working together to sweeten the pot for Bill.

Detroit would still be better for Bill. Zero expectations and more up side.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-08-2008, 05:53 PM
My friend has this plan in mind if they hire Marty:

Marty would come in and immediatly bring in his son Brian to be Offensive Coordiantor/Assistant Head Coach. In a few years, Brian gets "Head Coach In Waiting" added to his title so when his dad retires, he can just step in and take over as head coach.

Hey, if they do hire Cowher it means that they will most likley fire Phil Savage. I can definatly see Cowher influencing the hiring of Marty as a GM.

Big D
12-08-2008, 05:53 PM
whether they choose cowher or shotty you can't put lipstick on a pig. Doesn't matter who the coach is the clowns are the clowns

Fire Haley
12-08-2008, 06:31 PM

Clowns fans I've been hearing are still down on their knees praying for Cowher to be their savior, (just like a dozen other teams), they don't really want a dinosaur retread

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/MarsFlyTrap/CowherForChange.jpg

TerribleTInBigD
12-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Geez...been offline for a while since the holidays, and I pop back on and all I'm hearing is about the Frownies wanting either Bill Cowher or Marty Schottenheimer.

This post says it all:

Tale of the tape - Cowher or Schottenheimer (http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2008/12/bill-cowher-marty-schottenheimer-browns/)

First off, they either have to go to a great former Steeler or an old Browns retread who can't win in the playoffs. Desperate!

Both of these guys are from PA - that will shut up all those Frownies who say the best football in Ohio. (They're out there!)

And the sad thing is, both Marty and Bill Cowher have great career records. Neither one of them will want to ruin their legacy by joining the cursed franchise in Cleveland.

That post was at least good for a few chuckles though.

I miss Coach Cowher -- but I love Mike Tomlin. That game was BEAUTIFUL!

CB1977
12-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Geez...been offline for a while since the holidays, and I pop back on and all I'm hearing is about the Frownies wanting either Bill Cowher or Marty Schottenheimer.

This post says it all:

Tale of the tape - Cowher or Schottenheimer (http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2008/12/bill-cowher-marty-schottenheimer-browns/)

First off, they either have to go to a great former Steeler or an old Browns retread who can't win in the playoffs. Desperate!

Both of these guys are from PA - that will shut up all those Frownies who say the best football in Ohio. (They're out there!)

And the sad thing is, both Marty and Bill Cowher have great career records. Neither one of them will want to ruin their legacy by joining the cursed franchise in Cleveland.

That post was at least good for a few chuckles though.

I miss Coach Cowher -- but I love Mike Tomlin. That game was BEAUTIFUL!

Know some of the facts before you post:

Yes, although Cowher is most known for being the great coach of the Steelers for years, he also has some brief history in Cleveland:

He played three seasons (1980-1982) for the Cleveland Browns football team.

He also began his coaching career for the Cleveland Browns (at the age of 28) in 1985-1988 under Marty Schottenheimer.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-09-2008, 09:03 AM

No offense, but didn't the coach that won you 4 super bowls a Paul Brown protege, played for us, and was even born and raised in Cleveland?

What about the QB that led your team to get that "one for the thumb"?

Or the guy who's called Silverback on your D?

Or the face of your franchise in the 70's from mantua?

All of them are from Ohio. :)

revefsreleets
12-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Three weeks and this is all over. Lerner wants Cowher, he knows what Cowher wants, he knows what Cowher costs, and this opening is available NOW.

CB1977
12-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Rod, I thought Cowher was born in Crafton, PA....?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Rod, I thought Cowher was born in Crafton, PA....?

He is.

The coach I was talking about was Chuck Noll. :)

memphissteelergirl
12-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Sorry...I still say Bill ain't giving up his cushy desk job.

TackleMeBen
12-09-2008, 10:28 AM
marty said yesterday on sirius that he wasnt going back into coaching. he liked what he was doing now.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Sorry...I still say Bill ain't giving up his cushy desk job.

If someone offered you 8-9 million dollars to do a job you've done before in the past, over 1 million where you'd just work one day a week, would you take it?

Thats the "dilemma" bill faces right now. :)

memphissteelergirl
12-09-2008, 01:02 PM
If someone offered you 8-9 million dollars to do a job you've done before in the past, over 1 million where you'd just work one day a week, would you take it?

Thats the "dilemma" bill faces right now. :)

Yeah, but unless he's dabbled in real estate or put a lot of $$ in hedge funds recently, he's sitting on a big ole nest egg right now and doesn't need the money per se. And like you said, he's getting paid a nice little bit of change ($1 million or so) to sit in a comfy studio in a nice suit and spout fonts of football wisdom. No stress...no worries....and the Mrs. is happy. Why give that up? Unless the "competitive fever" strikes and won't relent. And frankly, I don't see that happening.

revefsreleets
12-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Steelers fans continued state of denial aside, here are the latest developments:

Marty said he's not coaching again, BUT he'd be interested in working in the FO of a Bill Cowher coached Browns, kind of in the role Parcells has with the Phins. The two are friends, by the by.

Lerner has now made it clear that Cowher is his first choice. Lerner also knows EXACTLY what demands Cowher will make to coach.

Cowher himself has said that Cleveland would be his first choice should he come back.

Crennel will be fired 10 minutes after the Browns last game this year, leaving the position open (and even though the Browns go through a lot of coaches, it doesn't happen EVERY year)

Cowher's contract for TV is up this year.

Time to face up to it, Cowher's heading to Cleveland next year.

CB1977
12-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Steelers fans continued state of denial aside, here are the latest developments: :rofl:

Cowher's contract for TV is up this year.

Football is in Cowher's blood and coaching the Browns would give him a huge challenge.

Ya never know!!! :wink02:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Cowher himself has said that Cleveland would be his first choice should he come back.

Not denying that this is right, but when was this said? Was this the car show that you mentioned a while back?

Big Ben has said as much, that even the loyalty to the Rooneys thing would not interfere.

Could Bill Cowher become the next coach of the Cleveland Browns? His former QB, Ben Roethlisberger, wouldn't rule it out.

Roethlisberger was asked Wednesday if he thought Cowher would never coach the Browns out of loyalty to the Rooney family, which has owned the Pittsburgh Steelers since 1933.

It was as though Roethlisberger anticipated the question and was eager to pounce on it. "Only he could tell you that," Roethlisberger said. "Honestly and I can only talk for a few of the players here we joke around and say that (Cleveland) could be his No. 1 spot."

Old news..but there's very little obstacles for this to block Lerner from doing this if he wants to give the job to bill.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Cowher-to-Cleveland-?urn=nfl,44046&cp=2

stlrtruck
12-09-2008, 01:30 PM

And soon there after, he'll understand what it felt like to be on the back side of a Steelers arse whoopin' on Sunday.

revefsreleets
12-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Bill knows how to win in this league. Hell, he did it with Kordell freaking Stewart as his QB.

Yes, the quote came from his luncheon with the Cleveland Auto Dealers Association.

I'm not sure why people refuse to believe it? I, for one, don't love the idea. The ONLY upside I see is that it instantly renews the rivalry.

tony hipchest
12-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure why people refuse to believe it? I, for one, don't love the idea. The ONLY upside I see is that it instantly renews the rivalry.i think most people just need a little bit more than your word on it.

this morning shottenhiemer said he would love the idea of being VP and working with bill though and that they have always remained close friends. he gave it a 10% chance he would return to coaching and said he wouldnt rule anything out.

Fire Haley
12-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Bill knows how to win in this league. Hell, he did it with Kordell freaking Stewart as his QB..

He KEPT Kordell for 7 YEARS as a failed experiment while great defenses were squandered.

If it wasn't for Ben, FG Bill would still be ringless. Let them have him.
We'll still crush the Brownstains twice every year for the next decade.

Besides, the real reason the Rooneys shitcanned Bill was he wanted shares in the franchise + $8 M a year to keep on coaching - buh bye.

I watched the Pats game, and I see NE fans at the end of the game, still cheering in the wet & cold, as their team goes down in defeat.

In Clowntown, the only fans who'd be left would be the drunken boo-birds, trashing their own team worse than the opposition's fans.

memphissteelergirl
12-09-2008, 03:41 PM
i think most people just need a little bit more than your word on it.

:applaudit:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-09-2008, 03:41 PM
He KEPT Kordell for 7 YEARS as a failed experiment while great defenses were squandered.

Besides, the real reason the Rooneys shitcanned Bill was he wanted shares in the franchise + $8 M a year to keep on coaching - buh bye.

I watched the Pats game, and I see NE fans at the end of the game, still cheering in the wet & cold, as their team goes down in defeat.

In Clowntown, the only fans who'd be left would be the drunken boo-birds, trashing their own team worse than the opposition's fans.

Honestly with the Kordell thing, what else could he have done? The Steelers wer in the playoffs or at .500 most of the 90's and the early part of the decade, taking a look at the draft there were no other QB's really available by the time Pittsburgh pick came up. And you can rule out immediately getting a guy from free agency because the steelers "Build from the draft". So to pin him on the Stewart/O'Donell/Tomczak/Tommy gun eras at QB, are really sort of moot.

As far the bolded part, I'd bet money Lerner would be willing to do those things for Cowher.

CB1977
12-09-2008, 03:43 PM

You are so wrong with that above statement!!! Diehard Browns fans, and there are a lot of those around, stick with their team through good and bad. Lately, we've had more bad than good and we still stay true to our team. There have been many bitter cold days at CBS with that wind blowing off of Lake Erie where, win or lose, Browns fans have remained in the stadium.

I'm not dissing any Pats fans on their loyalty to their team. I'm just sticking up for the many Browns fans that have remained true to their team over the years. If you can't see that, then you must have your face stuck up your a$$. :chuckle:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-09-2008, 03:47 PM
You are so wrong with that above statement!!! Diehard Browns fans, and there are a lot of those around, stick with their team through good and bad. Lately, we've had more bad than good and we still stay true to our team. There have been many bitter cold days at CBS with that wind blowing off of Lake Erie where, win or lose, Browns fans have remained in the stadium.

I'm not dissing any Pats fans on their loyalty to their team. I'm just sticking up for the many Browns fans that have remained true to their team over the years. If you can't see that, then you must have your face stuck up your a$$. :chuckle:

Here, Here, BB!

:applaudit:

Edman
12-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't mind Cowher going to Cleveland. It just renews the Browns/Steelers rivalry.

KeiselPower99
12-09-2008, 03:57 PM
No offense, but didn't the coach that won you 4 super bowls a Paul Brown protege, played for us, and was even born and raised in Cleveland?

What about the QB that led your team to get that "one for the thumb"?

Or the guy who's called Silverback on your D?

Or the face of your franchise in the 70's from mantua?

All of them are from Ohio. :)

Yep we stole alot of talent from right under yalls noses.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Yep we stole alot of talent from right under yalls noses.

We may return the favor. :)

Depends on how good LeSean McCoy looks come draft day. That guys a beast.

EDIT: damn, the guys only a sophomore..Will have to wait a year.

Fire Haley
12-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Holy crap! Since when can Browns fans read?

Must be Old Browns fans who moved to Baltimore with their team who wanted to watch a winner. Not that I have any love for the Ratbirds - but they did keep a SB outta the hands of the Stains - I guess I'll give them credit for that.

I say Romeo Jelly Donut comes back for another year and brings Andersukk with him.

Trade Quinn now - save him from a life of hopelessness that doomed Tim Couch. He should still be worth a 5th or 6th rd pick, more than you'll ever get from DA - he's now worthless

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I say Romeo Jelly Donut comes back for another year and brings Andersukk with him.

uhh...no

Theres already been countdowns on the local radio shows going something along the lines "Only X Days, X Hours, X minutes until Crennel is fired"

That would probably be the stupidest move this current Browns organization has ever made. It'd be great for the Steelers, because it would put the Browns with the Bungals right at the bottom every year. But it's not going to happen.

ESPN is now saying, Cowher will go to the Jets...Which I doubt.

MACH1
12-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Can't see Cowher going to the Jets.

lilyoder6
12-09-2008, 04:42 PM
We may return the favor. :)

Depends on how good LeSean McCoy looks come draft day. That guys a beast.

EDIT: damn, the guys only a sophomore..Will have to wait a year.

no, lesean mccoy can declare 4 the draft!!! b4 he went to pitt he went 1 yr at a college that i don't know the name of... so Technically he can go 4 the draft... and according to the "experts" that are involved / the panthers think he will go pro...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Can't see Cowher going to the Jets.

I don't really either.

I just see one of these 6 scenarios if he does want to come back:

Cleveland
Carolina
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington
NC State

All but one of those of are playoff teams (philly is on the fence, but for argument sake, they have the potential to make the playoffs :noidea:). The Jets are also a playoff team, and could win the division. You don't fire a coach with his team in the hunt like that.

MACH1
12-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't really either.

I just see one of these 6 scenarios if he does want to come back:

Cleveland
Carolina
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington
NC State

All but one of those of are playoff teams (philly is on the fence, but for argument sake, they have the potential to make the playoffs :noidea:). The Jets are also a playoff team, and could win the division. You don't fire a coach with his team in the hunt like that.

You do if your the Chargers. :laughing:

CB1977
12-09-2008, 07:42 PM

Must be Old Browns fans who moved to Baltimore with their team who wanted to watch a winner. Not that I have any love for the Ratbirds - but they did keep a SB outta the hands of the Stains - I guess I'll give them credit for that.

Trade Quinn now - save him from a life of hopelessness that doomed Tim Couch. He should still be worth a 5th or 6th rd pick, more than you'll ever get from DA - he's now worthless

RAC will be gone after this season; he's earned that much.

As for the rest of your post: :yawn: You bore me.

Fire Haley
12-09-2008, 07:44 PM
RAC will be gone after this season; he's earned that much..

Well, there ya go.

One radio station rumor is the same as another.

Face it, you're in a bidding war for FG Bill.

He's no Parcells, trust me.

"Maybe next year" will be the Browns tune for the next decade no matter who they have as coach. Write that down in your kellerin' books.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-09-2008, 08:01 PM
"Maybe next year" will be the Browns tune for the next decade no matter who they have as coach. Write that down in your kellerin' books.

What's a "kellerin' book"?

oh,

You mean a "coloring book?", I thought you were supposed to present yourself as being smarter than browns fans, and you misspell something simple like that? Sounds like someone dropped out of the 2nd grade. :sofunny:

I kid. I kid. It's all in fun. :)

XxKnightxX
12-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Cowher wouldnt want to come back to cle if he controlled the whole team, dont see it happening, maybe he can be our O line coach next year lol

decleater
12-09-2008, 10:21 PM
I look for the Browns to steal their new head coach from Baltimore (Rex Ryan). There's poetic justice in that. :tt:

CB1977
12-10-2008, 08:16 AM
I look for the Browns to steal their new head coach from Baltimore (Rex Ryan). There's poetic justice in that. :tt:

I hope you're kidding... :noidea:

If Cleveland gets anything from Baltimore, you're going to see a lot of unhappy Browns fans.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-10-2008, 10:36 AM
CLAYTON SAYS COWHER UNLIKELY TO COACH BROWNS

ESPN’s John Clayton, who as far as we can tell has not broached this specific subject on ESPN.com, told a Cleveland radio station on Tuesday night that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher will most likely not become the next coach of the Browns.

In an appearance on WKNR, the Cleveland ESPN Radio affiliate, Clayton confirmed our past report that discussions have been occurred between the two sides, and he predicted that an offer would be made after the season.

“Has there been a direct conversation?” Clayton said. “Has there been an interview? No, but there are enough people talking to both sides. They will talk to him after the season. They will make him his offer. He’s probably going to turn it down.”

Our take has been that Cowher is using the Cleveland interest as a way to ensure that his name will remain at the top of the “A” list for the coming hiring cycle. Regardless of whether he’s doing it with his eyes on a potential opportunity elsewhere in 2009 or simply to ensure that his name remains in the conversation for coaching vacancies until he’s ready to return, we believe that Cowher wants to nurture the notion that, in any given year, he’s the gleaming brass ring on the NFL coaching carousel.

Clayton said that other possible arrivals are former Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer (who could serve as coach or Parcells-style executive or both) and current Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli, who worked for the “Browns” from 1992-95.

As to Schottenheimer, a league source points out that hiring him could allow the franchise to avoid buying out the big-money contract of offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, who previously worked with Schottenheimer and would be more likely to remain on staff if Schottenheimer were running the show. After the team’s 10-6 performance in 2008 (which apparently was an “amorition“), Chudzinski received a deal that’s believed to be equivalent to head coach compensation in some cities in order to rebuff the interest of the Ravens in hiring him to replace Brian Billick.

The wild card in this situation is current G.M. Phil Savage. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen recently pointed out that owner Randy Lerner’s preference would be to keep Savage in the fold, but to strip him of final-say authority over the roster. Such a move would allow Lerner to avoid owing Savage a buyout of roughly $8.1 million — unless Savage quits, or is fired for cause due to his “go root for Buffalo” escapades and his role in the Kellen Winslow staph fiasco from earlier in the year.

Frankly, if Savage ends up sticking around, we think his wings would need to be dramatically clipped; as one league insider opined of Savage, “His skin’s like an onion and he loves the microphone. It’s a recipe for disaster.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/10/clayton-says-cowher-unlikely-to-coach-browns/

Fire Haley
12-10-2008, 10:42 AM
uhh...no

That would probably be the stupidest move this current Browns organization has ever made. It'd be great for the Steelers, because it would put the Browns with the Bungals right at the bottom every year. But it's not going to happen.

ESPN is now saying, Cowher will go to the Jets...Which I doubt.

I don't see why everyone is so giddy over getting Cowher, I'll never forget how Mr Rooney had to tell Bill to shut up and twirl when Cowher said 'no' to drafting Big Ben. He was over-ruled. (thank the gods)

He might still have some motivator power left in him, but he's no talent evaluator - look to the 7 year failed KORDELL experiment for that.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-10-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't see why everyone is so giddy over getting Cowher, I'll never forget how Mr Rooney had to tell Bill to shut up and twirl when Cowher said 'no' to drafting Big Ben. He was over-ruled. (thank the gods)

He might still have some motivator power left in him, but he's no talent evaluator - look to the 7 year failed KORDELL experiment for that.

I'd be more excited if he auctually decided to take the job.

:doh:

Another 5 years of sucking and being mediocre.

At least we have the Cavs.

xfl2001fan
12-10-2008, 10:58 AM

The biggest difference between Tim Couch and Brady Quinn will come down to the offensive line. Tim Couch had a line that isn't half as good (on their best days) than what the Steelers have currently. Brady Quinn actually has a pretty damn good offensive line in front of him.

Quinn is also more mobile than Couch was.

Real fans or Trolls? There are two vastly different typs of fans. I'd venture to say that the (current) regular Browns fans here (myself, CB, RWWC) are the former.

xfl2001fan
12-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Stupid computer glitch...

Sorry for the double post. If a Mod could delete this I'd be appreciative.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
The biggest difference between Tim Couch and Brady Quinn will come down to the offensive line. Tim Couch had a line that isn't half as good (on their best days) than what the Steelers have currently. Brady Quinn actually has a pretty damn good offensive line in front of him.

Quinn is also more mobile than Couch was.

I agree that Quinn is more mobile than Couch, but the difference isnt just O line. Couch played in a kind of spread-run and shoot offense at Kentucky and put up big numbers. Quinn played in more of an NFL style offense at ND, so its not such a big learning curve for Quinn.

Cowher or Schotty......still gonna be just another mediocre team.

Fire Haley
12-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Couch / Holcomb = DA / Quinn

Both the starters were cheered when they went down with injuries.

The resemblance is striking.

Fire Haley
12-10-2008, 12:36 PM
ho ho ho!

ESPN NFL analyst John Clayton joined Greg Brinda on ESPN 850 WKNR Tuesday night to discuss the Browns' struggles this year and the impending coaching search.

Clayton told Brinda that while Cleveland plans to make an offer to Bill Cowher in the off-season, the former Steelers' coach is not interested in the job.

http://www.espncleveland.com/

stlrtruck
12-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Thing is, that Cowher's interest could change overnight!

revefsreleets
12-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Clayton is often wrong...

I'm sticking with my prediction.

Fire Haley
12-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Cleveland Browns official says team will not rush into decisions on Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 Tony GrossiPlain Dealer Reporter

Everyone wants to fire Browns coach Romeo Crennel now! Reassign General Manager Phil Savage now! Move on to the next Browns regime right now!

That's not the way it's going to work, according to Bob Kain, Browns vice chairman.

"What we plan to do is exactly what [owner] Randy Lerner said [on Nov. 25]," Kain said on Tuesday. "Immediately following the season he's going to review everything and he will make decisions. It's what he said to the press and it's what he's said to Romeo and Phil.

"Nothing has changed. He has a good relationship with Romeo and with Phil. They both have worked unbelievably hard with the Browns. He's not happy with the results, obvi ously, and will review every thing. He's also respectful of these guys."

The latest - one floated by former Browns coach Marty Schottenheimer in a Sirius Radio interview - had Schottenheimer teaming with Bill Cowher as a front office-coaching tandem.

"All these rumors . . . some of these things are crazy," Kain said. "

Kain said there has been no contact whatsoever with Cowher or Schottenheimer and there wouldn't be contact until after Lerner conducts his season-ending review.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1228901428175700.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

revefsreleets
12-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Really, though, what do you expect them to say?

"Crennel is a dead man walking. Our owner hates him and can't wait to fire him. We are currently in discussion with the following prospects to replace him; yada yada yada..."

Al Davis might do that, but he's clinically insane.

Fire Haley
12-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Here's a new team to add to the 'Cowher Sweepstakes' list...

Cowher in line to coach Redskins?

Redskins coach Jim Zorn may be vying for his job over the final three games. Sports talk callers aren't the only ones wondering whether the Redskins might have Bill Cowher on speed dial for 2009. Redskins Park sources are also pondering if the team's 1-4 collapse to practically ruin its once sure playoff chances could also claim the coach.

"The honeymoon is definitely over," said one team insider of Redskins owner Dan Snyder and Zorn. Zorn was given a modest contract by NFL standards as insiders questioned whether Washington was awaiting Cowher's possible return in 2009. Indeed, Cowher recently told The Washington Times that Snyder tried to lure him from retirement before hiring Zorn despite the owner's earlier denial.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/80937-cowher-in-line-to-coach-redskins?eref=fromSI

revefsreleets
12-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Now THAT may have some merit. Snyder is a baffoon, and he would probably fire Zorn without giving the guy a fair shake. He'd also write Cowher whatever sized check he wanted.

But does Cowher want to work for a retard?

Fire Haley
12-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Cowher wants total control, Snyder let Joe Gibbs do whatever he wanted, why not Bill?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Now THAT may have some merit. Snyder is a baffoon, and he would probably fire Zorn without giving the guy a fair shake. He'd also write Cowher whatever sized check he wanted.

But does Cowher want to work for a retard?

My bias for the Cowher sweepstakes showing here, but why fire Zorn?

He's done alright in a conference that features New York, Dallas and Philly all regular contenders, and I really think they could be a Super Bowl team in a couple of years, if they keep building on what they have. Their final 3 games are against, Cincy, Philly and the '9ers, they have a good shot at winning all three of those, if not just 2. They're missing a few o-linemen and a few d-linemen, something that can be fixed easily without firing the coach.

Cowher wants total control, Snyder let Joe Gibbs do whatever he wanted, why not Bill?

Ah, but lerner could probably offer the same, if not more.

As for Snyder vs. Lerner you have different types of owners here somewhat. One is very active with the team, and sometimes does so Jerry Jones like moves to get talent there, the other likes to hire a guy who knows football and be a very hands off owner and travel to england to watch his soccer team. Both are loaded. It just really depends on what he wants really. L

revefsreleets
12-10-2008, 02:28 PM
My bias for the Cowher sweepstakes showing here, but why fire Zorn?

Easy. Because he's like the 3rd most unstable owner in the league.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-10-2008, 02:44 PM

I could see him firing Zorn that easily if that is the case, but after firing him so quickly,putting myself in Cowhers shoes, Would I want a job where a lot of my predecessers were fired within a season or two? Marty his mentor was let go after one season, so Snyder could go and hire Spurrier.

Thats also why him going to Dallas wouldn't work, the parcells/jones experiment failed to a certain degree, and you know jones would not leave Cowher alone on a lot of things, like drafting his players and all sorts of things.

SteelCurtain7
12-10-2008, 05:20 PM

Behind Davis and Jones, right?

revefsreleets
12-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Behind Davis and Jones, right?

Davis and Brown.

Jerry Jones is a little nutty, but he's shaped the Cowboys into an international money-making juggernaut. He's unstable but there are mitigating circumstances.

Al Davis? A f**cking nutty fruitcake.
Mike Brown? Mentally retarded.
Dan Snyder? Has some business acumen (although knowing what we now know, it may have just been luck), but a complete stooge when it come to football.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Heres the sound of things coming from Clayton:

Q: John, fellow Duquesne alum here. The idea of Bill Cowher going to Cleveland saddens me greatly -- like seeing an ex-girlfriend date your brother. I had hoped he'd move into the Carolina Panthers coaching job in another year, but John Fox has them looking good. Do you really think Cleveland is the leading candidate for Cowher? What about Dallas, St. Louis, San Diego or Detroit? Also, I'd wager Steeler Nation would give him one round of applause at his first game at Heinz Field, then that's it. Thoughts?

A.J. in Savannah, Ga.

A: A.J., I can give you news that should appeal to you. From the sound of things, Cowher isn't going to take the Cleveland offer. That's what I'm hearing, anyway. Even though the money, organization and power concerns would be what he would like with the Browns, it is apparently hard for him to go to Cleveland. The Rooney family gave him his head-coaching chance, and he would find it hard to coach against the Steelers in Cleveland. You know the rivalry. Plus, he'd hate to take a job away from his mentor, Marty Schottenheimer, who has a chance to get it. Cowher will be back, if not next season then in 2010. By the way, "Go Dukes.''

Do you think his loyalty to Pittsburgh would prevent coaching in the division? Does that trump a whole brinks trunk full of money, and everything he'd want to do in a franchise? Or could this be just him using Clayton as a mouthpiece saying "Randy, you're going to have to offer me more", or is it just Clayton speculating things? He is after all from the Steel city, so there could be a slight bias there.

I'm curious if he left on good terms with the Rooneys, I've heard that he was forced out, I've also heard that he had/has a good relationship with them.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-10-2008, 10:31 PM

Do you think his loyalty to Pittsburgh would prevent coaching in the division? Does that trump a whole brinks trunk full of money, and everything he'd want to do in a franchise? Or could this be just him using Clayton as a mouthpiece saying "Randy, you're going to have to offer me more", or is it just Clayton speculating things? He is after all from the Steel city, so there could be a slight bias there.

I'm curious if he left on good terms with the Rooneys, I've heard that he was forced out, I've also heard that he had/has a good relationship with them.

His relationship with the Rooneys very well could keep him from coaching within the division.

Cowher grew up in the Pittsburgh area and grew up a Steelers fan. The Browns chose Bellichick over Cowher and look at where that has gotten the Browns. It got them one playoff appearance, a loss to Cowher's Steelers.

I do not know how Cowher left, there is only speculation. The only people that truly know how Cowher left is Cowher, his family, and the Rooneys.

We'll see how much his bond with the Rooneys and the rest of the Steelers orginization means to him when he makes his desicion on coaching (go the Cleveland, go somewhere else, stay on tv).

Also, I highly doubt Bill Cowher needs the money. Unless he invested it all into the stock market, he's sitting on quite a lot...plus making a nice chunk working one day a week. So loyalty to the Rooneys could keep him from having a Brinks truck from Cleveland backing up to his door.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-10-2008, 10:44 PM
His relationship with the Rooneys very well could keep him from coaching within the division.

Cowher grew up in the Pittsburgh area and grew up a Steelers fan. The Browns chose Bellichick over Cowher and look at where that has gotten the Browns. It got them one playoff appearance, a loss to Cowher's Steelers.

I do not know how Cowher left, there is only speculation. The only people that truly know how Cowher left is Cowher, his family, and the Rooneys.

We'll see how much his bond with the Rooneys and the rest of the Steelers orginization means to him when he makes his desicion on coaching (go the Cleveland, go somewhere else, stay on tv).

Also, I highly doubt Bill Cowher needs the money. Unless he invested it all into the stock market, he's sitting on quite a lot...plus making a nice chunk working one day a week. So loyalty to the Rooneys could keep him from having a Brinks truck from Cleveland backing up to his door.

We now know how Cleveland apparently treated him last time around, this is from Fred Phelps,the guy who does the Cavs pre/post-game on FSNOhio:

From the sound of things, the Art Moddell led Browns treated Cowher like crap when trying to get the job. Heard on the radio, that when Belichick came to the airport for his job interview, he was privately chauffeured as to avoid the press, and moddell kissed his ass the whole way. When Cowher came, he was really excited and wanted the job very badly, shows up to the airport expecting a taxi or something to pick him up and let him go to berea, thing is, Moddell left him hanging, and a TV news truck that was set to interview him, had to give him a ride to Berea.

Many of the Browns fans were auctually sort of pissed that Moddel hired mumbles instead of Bill, "We hired the wrong Bill!", was the call that rang out by the end of Mumbles first season, Dude was hated.

Just more proof that Art was a scumbag, but thats for another time.

What was the speculation when he did quit back in '07? I'm curious is there any thread on here about what may have happened?

XxKnightxX
12-10-2008, 11:06 PM

Cowher still bleeds black and gold, I can hear him every time he announces on the steelers or anything like that, he gets excited, his chin starts to jut out lol.

But playing what if scenario, If cowher does decide to go to the Browns, then the Rooneys can play hardball because if Im correct, Cowher did still have 1 more year left in his contract and try to bust cowhers chops or ask $$$$ from the browns, but then again, I can be wrong. I say fire o line coach z and put him as the new coach lol. That would be impossible because I can see a massive locker room split coming up.

Fire Haley
12-11-2008, 07:27 AM
If cowher does decide to go to the Browns, then the Rooneys can play hardball because if Im correct, Cowher did still have 1 more year left in his contract.

That's a negative - Cowher's last contract year with the Steelers ended with the 2007 season.

He's free and clear to do what he wants.

revefsreleets
12-11-2008, 11:17 AM
This whole "He's loyal to the Rooney's" thing is a ruse concocted by Steelers fans who are trying to find ways to convice themselves that this won't happen.

I also put pretty much zero stock in Clayton's claims that Cowher is playing games with the Browns to increase his stock. His asking price is what it is regardless.

lilyoder6
12-11-2008, 11:26 AM
it's like saying that lebron james will def stay with the cavs b/c he is an ohio kid... ppl go where either A: the money is or B: where the championship is.... so if bill does decide 2 coach the browns, it's b/c he may need the money

Fire Haley
12-11-2008, 01:12 PM
This whole "He's loyal to the Rooney's" thing is a ruse concocted by Steelers fans who are trying to find ways to convice themselves that this won't happen..

I think you're dead on with that one.

Bill will take the money and run, but I don't think his ego could stand losing twice a year to the Steelers, that's what will keep him out of the AFC North.

xfl2001fan
12-11-2008, 01:27 PM
it's like saying that lebron james will def stay with the cavs b/c he is an ohio kid... ppl go where either A: the money is or B: where the championship is.... so if bill does decide 2 coach the browns, it's b/c he may need the money

I think in Bill's case, it's both. If he comes to the Browns it's because he's getting paid and believes he'll have a chance at winning a ring for Cleveland.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-11-2008, 02:50 PM
This whole "He's loyal to the Rooney's" thing is a ruse concocted by Steelers fans who are trying to find ways to convice themselves that this won't happen.

I also put pretty much zero stock in Clayton's claims that Cowher is playing games with the Browns to increase his stock. His asking price is what it is regardless.

Right, Right...Top three things he wants contract wise would be:

1.) 8-9 mill.
2.) To call the shots on who runs the front office.
3.)Some form of stock in the team, (IE Minority Ownership)

LeBron..is..Up in the air about being an Ohio kid, its defintly a plus for him wanting to stay here, as far as the two that were mentioned you're dead on, the reason I see him staying with the Cavs are those two reasons right now.

Now, with those applied to Cowher, The money I think is there, and the talent on the team to contend for a championship...is still missing a lot of pieces...But there are a few pieces in place, again from the sound of him talking on the CBS pre game the other day, he was very defensive of Cleveland, something that struck me as odd.

Now, Bernie Kosar (who does a part time job with lerner, gives him his opinion, etc) was on the radio just a few hours a go, and had said, that coaches when they're approached about another mans job, while the guy still has the job and whether they would take it, the coach will always say no, regardless of the situation, until that coach is fired. I tend to think that theory is right.

Fire Haley
12-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I still say FG Bill is too comfy sitting in the studio with the stuffed shirts to come back to coaching just yet.

Maybe in another year or two, like he's been saying.

SteelCityKing
12-11-2008, 04:49 PM
the Browns and f*cking have him. =)

revefsreleets
12-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Cowher believes himself to truly be an elite coach. Why do you think he wants 10 mil a year? He thinks he deserves that.

So losing to Pittsburgh isn't even on his radar. In his mind, I'm sure he believes that a team he builds will not only beat the Steelers, but will contend for Championships perennially. I've always liked Cowherball. I think he was hamstrung by a limited budget at the QB posittion which is the only reason he didn't win 1-2 more SB's.

I'm actually inclined to concur with Cowher that he IS an elite NFL coach, therefore I also believe he will break "The Cleveland Curse", and take the Browns all the way. I think THAT challenge alone will be the thing that brings him to Cleveland (presuming they meet all his other prerequisites).

Fire Haley
12-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Jets fans are jumping aboard the Cowher-train too.

ha ha! He's truly the new messiah!

Cowher to Jets if we miss playoffs !

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=39379

revefsreleets
12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
They certainly do have a fascination with all things formerly Steelers. Of course if the Jets sign him, following their own MO, it'd have to be a 20 year contract for 15 million a year, since they always overpay for too long for our former players...

Fire Haley
12-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Hilarious!

I almost want to miss the playoffs now. Cowher will give us the identity we want and will make things happen. Mangini lacks the balls to get it done.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Cowher believes himself to truly be an elite coach. Why do you think he wants 10 mil a year? He thinks he deserves that.

So losing to Pittsburgh isn't even on his radar. In his mind, I'm sure he believes that a team he builds will not only beat the Steelers, but will contend for Championships perennially. I've always liked Cowherball.I think he was hamstrung by a limited budget at the QB posittion which is the only reason he didn't win 1-2 more SB's.

I'm actually inclined to concur with Cowher that he IS an elite NFL coach, therefore I also believe he will break "The Cleveland Curse", and take the Browns all the way. I think THAT challenge alone will be the thing that brings him to Cleveland (presuming they meet all his other prerequisites).

I think for Cowher he also wants to say he owns part of a team somewhat, something that the Rooney's didn't want to give him.

I think he gets the rivalry, I flat out think he does. He's been on both sides of it, and understands why both cities hate each other. HUGE reason why II want him here is so we can quit being a joke and a thing of pity to Steeler fans and become the hated enemy once again. :)

This will sound stupid and very bias, but this could actually bode well for both teams. I'd love to see the Pittsburgh-Cleveland rivalry become what TOSU-Michigan was in the 70's during the 10 year war. It's a joke to me, that the biggest rivalry in the division right now is Baltimore-Pittsburgh. Cleveland and Pittsburgh seem just perfect to me for a division showdown that constantly decides the AFC North title. So much history with both franchises, both have large fan bases, both have been described as Blue collar.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-14-2008, 03:42 PM
They were teasing on CBS yet again.

something tells me he's going to go the highest bidder between Cleveland, Kansas City and some other team.

KeiselPower99
12-14-2008, 06:32 PM
They were teasing on CBS yet again.

something tells me he's going to go the highest bidder between Cleveland, Kansas City and some other team.

The team that gives him the most of everything is the one that gets him. Weve been saying that for months now.

revefsreleets
12-15-2008, 09:49 AM
As of this moment, there is only one team that is going to give him what he wants AND has an opening, and that's Cleveland.

But the situation in Washington is interesting. Zorn could get the boot. Jets and Cowboys winning big games yesterday probably keep those coaches in their spots another year.

KC is way too cheap to pay. Same with Detroit.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-15-2008, 01:18 PM
As of this moment, there is only one team that is going to give him what he wants AND has an opening, and that's Cleveland.

But the situation in Washington is interesting. Zorn could get the boot. Jets and Cowboys winning big games yesterday probably keep those coaches in their spots another year.

KC is way too cheap to pay. Same with Detroit.

So as of right now, its probably going to be between us, the Skins and maybe the Iggles.

Cowher made it tough to read him on the pregame yesterday, I spotted him with a :tt02: over his shoulder talking about his old team with Shannon Sharpe. I'm unsure of what to make of that. But at the same time, He's from Pittsburgh, coached there and won a super bowl there. I'd find it hard for him to ever trash it, and if he said a few good things about it, I'm more than understand where he's coming from. But, he's also never trashed Cleveland really, The Car Show, and him keeping seats from the our old stadium were in his office as two obvious examples.

As far as loyalties go, Being from Pittsburgh and coaching the Browns didn't stop Bud Carson from, uh, beating them 51-0, though he did feel bad about it after that game, saying he would've preferred it to be closer.

revefsreleets
12-15-2008, 01:27 PM
The Eagles?

They aren't shelling out 10 mil for Cowher either.

Fire Haley
12-16-2008, 08:45 AM
As of this moment, there is only one team that is going to give him what he wants AND has an opening, and that's Cleveland..

Hmmmm. Your agenda sounds like something a closet Browns-lover would say.

I don't want Cowher to go to Cleveland for the simple fact it's a cursed organization and would only drag him to the bottom of the pit like the rest of their coaches.

This season was over the day Savage announced that Anderson would be the starter in training camp, it all rolled downhill from there.

CB1977
12-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Hmmmm. Your agenda sounds like something a closet Browns-lover would say.

I don't want Cowher to go to Cleveland for the simple fact it's a cursed organization and would only drag him to the bottom of the pit like the rest of their coaches.

This season was over the day Savage announced that Anderson would be the starter in training camp, it all rolled downhill from there.

Killer, you sound like a broken record. Refer to my post on page 2 of this thread.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: You bore me. :coffee:

Fire Haley
12-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Was I talking to you?

If your ears are bleeding, go get a kleenex.

CB1977
12-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Was I talking to you?

If your ears are bleeding, go get a kleenex.

No, you weren't talking to me but this is a public forum about the Browns so I responded. You put it out for people to see so don't go acting surprised if someone gives their opinion.

If you've got a problem with that, well, I really could care less.

Fire Haley
12-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Feeling depressed?

Maybe this will cheer you up.
Everybody loves a clown.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/clowns.jpg

CB1977
12-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Oh Killer...you kill me!!! LOL

revefsreleets
12-16-2008, 03:47 PM
No agenda, other than perhaps having a counter-agenda to all the Steelers fans who refuse to believe this could ever happen.

Fire Haley
12-16-2008, 04:07 PM
No agenda, other than perhaps having a counter-agenda to all the Steelers fans who refuse to believe this could ever happen.

Oh I know what you're doing - making all the yinzers nervous an at.

OK, Pimp that ride - and more power to ya.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-16-2008, 04:41 PM
There’s a code, the source explained, among the folks who hold high-profile jobs in pro sports. Under that code, a guy holding or hoping to hold one of those positions should never, ever talk about the fate of another guy who still has one of those jobs.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/16/floyd-reese-at-it-again/

thought this was intresting.