PDA

View Full Version : HERE is the Reality...

revefsreleets
12-07-2008, 07:35 PM
First off, let's dispel the excuses. The Cowboys were really no more injured than we were. Nothing there.

The Steelers had a great gameplan on both sides of the ball. There was poor execution. As a microcosm, look at the 4th and goal play when Colon slipped. Tipped balls. Etc, etc...

We are 10-3. We have played a tough schedule. It won't get easier. Yeah, we win ugly, but WE WIN.

It's time for the haters and doubters to hop on board. This Steelers team is legit. Is it perfect? Eff no. But do they win? Hell yeah!

Glace
12-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm with you rev...

It was an ugly win...one of the ugliest wins I've seen all year....but the last few minutes of the game might have been the most beautiful I've seen all year.

If we could just capture the emotion we played with in those last few minutes and apply it to the ENTIRE game....I can't even fathom the possibility.

I love the way this game ended up...but a sense of urgency needs to take hold of the offense. We're taking our #1 defense for granted. We can't put so much pressure on them. They've performed beautifully all year, but at some point the offense needs to compliment them.

revefsreleets
12-07-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm with you rev...

It was an ugly win...one of the ugliest wins I've seen all year....but the last few minutes of the game might have been the most beautiful I've seen all year.

If we could just capture the emotion we played with in those last few minutes and apply it to the ENTIRE game....I can't even fathom the possibility.

I love the way this game ended up...but a sense of urgency needs to take hold of the offense. We're taking our #1 defense for granted. We can't put so much pressure on them. They've performed beautifully all year, but at some point the offense needs to compliment them.

Make no mistake about it. The Cowboys needed this win. They played their guts out. They are a quality football team. And we found a way...

I suspect that will be the 2008 "Steelers way" : We find a way to win.

Burghfan58
12-07-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm with you rev...

Winning ugly sometimes builds character.

Edman
12-07-2008, 07:46 PM
It's definately an ugly win, not exactly proud of it, but you'll have to take it.

Mikee
12-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Win is a win.

fansince'76
12-07-2008, 07:48 PM
It's definately an ugly win, not exactly proud of it, but you'll have to take it.

Dude, what do you want? We scored 17 unanswered in the 4th quarter when just about everybody - including you, had left us for dead on the side of the road against probably the 2nd-best team the NFC had to offer. I'm damned proud of it.

DoctorCAD
12-07-2008, 07:50 PM
I still would like to see what this team is capable of if they play 60 entire minutes of Steeler football.

They would be among the best EVER.

SteelCurtain7
12-07-2008, 07:50 PM
I'd rather have an ugly win, than a pretty loss.

ben7
12-07-2008, 07:51 PM
we have already matched are win total from last year, which makes me extremely happy

RoethlisBURGHer
12-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I'd much rather win ugly than lose pretty.

And this isn't the screwed up BCS, and ugly win counts just as much as a pretty win...polls and power rankings don't decide champions in the NFL.

lilyoder6
12-07-2008, 07:53 PM
was a great game... but even tho the boys lost this game... they are the number 6th seed in the nfc

fansince'76
12-07-2008, 07:53 PM
we have already matched are win total from last year, which makes me extremely happy

Remember all the folks who had us winning 6, maybe 7 games tops against this "brutal schedule?" LMAO @ them now.

Steeldude
12-07-2008, 07:56 PM
the steelers need to stop shooting themselves in the foot. you have to capitalize on TOs.

the steelers can't keep going week-in and week-out expecting the defense to win the game. the offense needs to help out or at least show some consistency. 3 and out doesn't give the steelers' defense much rest.

Edman
12-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Dude, what do you want? We scored 17 unanswered in the 4th quarter when just about everybody - including you, had left us for dead on the side of the road against probably the 2nd-best team the NFC had to offer. I'm damned proud of it.

Yeah, I left them for dead. The offense was completely horrible. You can feed me as much crow as you like.

The Cowboys are a hugely overrated team. They are hardly the second best team in the NFC. The Defense punched them in the mouth and forced 5 turnovers. Four in the first half. That should be more than enough to win by ten points or more. Instead we had to get a Deshea Townsend pick 6 to put them away for good because the offense was miserable the majority of the day.

You can be proud of it as much as you want. That's what being a fan is all about. But I hate games like this. The Cowboys suck and they had no business being in this game let alone leading by ten. Plain and simple.

fansince'76
12-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I left them for dead. The offense was completely horrible. You can feed me as much crow as you like.

Nope, we're all Steelers fans - we all vent in different ways. :drink:

43Hitman
12-07-2008, 08:21 PM
the steelers need to stop shooting themselves in the foot. you have to capitalize on TOs.

the steelers can't keep going week-in and week-out expecting the defense to win the game. the offense needs to help out or at least show some consistency. 3 and out doesn't give the steelers' defense much rest.

I agree. The offensive line had a really bad game tonight. Ben held the ball to long on several occasions. Our defense saved the day. Great job by Townsend, and by Miller for making up on his early turnover. Ben did what hero's do at the end of the day though, he saved it.

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2008, 08:23 PM
First off, let's dispel the excuses. The Cowboys were really no more injured than we were. Nothing there.

The Steelers had a great gameplan on both sides of the ball. There was poor execution. As a microcosm, look at the 4th and goal play when Colon slipped. Tipped balls. Etc, etc...

We are 10-3. We have played a tough schedule. It won't get easier. Yeah, we win ugly, but WE WIN.

It's time for the haters and doubters to hop on board. This Steelers team is legit. Is it perfect? Eff no. But do they win? Hell yeah!

Amen. It doesn't matter how you win, all that matters in the end is that you GET THE WIN!

Busforever
12-07-2008, 08:26 PM

The Cowboys are a hugely overrated team. They are hardly the second best team in the NFC. The Defense punched them in the mouth and forced 5 turnovers. Four in the first half. That should be more than enough to win by ten points or more. Instead we had to get a Deshea Townsend pick 6 to put them away for good because the offense was miserable the majority of the day.

You can be proud of it as much as you want. That's what being a fan is all about. But I hate games like this. The Cowboys suck and they had no business being in this game let alone leading by ten. Plain and simple.

I agree with your analysis but what makes me proud of this team is that no other NFL unit should have won this game after those 3 first quarters of horrible offense. And few offenses could have step up in the 4th quarter with enough pride and effort to score 10 points under those circunstances.

The game should have been decided in overtime, but it was clearly enough for Romo who gave us the final pick. But hey, with all we can say about our offense, our QB didn't throw a critical pick, and in a tight game like that, that was crucial.

And you know what? I'm pretty happy when I see our 10 wins and thinking that we are not playing at our full potential. I'm pretty sure that those kind of hard wins build confidence and help play better. Maybe we won today because we won enough confidence last week against the Pats. Every win helps built a better team, and I think we haven't seen the best of Steelers football this year yet.

Preacher
12-07-2008, 08:52 PM
I still would like to see what this team is capable of if they play 60 entire minutes of Steeler football.

Intersting.

Of your 40 or so posts, I think this was the best one so far.

you're right.... we aren't putting it all together. Your right, we aren't playing all 60 minutes (well, the D played about 58 minutes today).

And You are right that if we put it all together, well, it would just absolutely scary.

fansince'76
12-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Intersting.

Of your 40 or so posts, I think this was the best one so far.

you're right.... we aren't putting it all together. Your right, we aren't playing all 60 minutes (well, the D played about 58 minutes today).

And You are right that if we put it all together, well, it would just absolutely scary.

I'd like to see a LOT more no-huddle.

MasterOfPuppets
12-07-2008, 09:31 PM
i.m still trying to figure out where that short ,chain moving passing game from a few weeks ago went......looked to me like ben was focused 20+ yards down the field all day long, and it just wasn't happening. where the hell was our possession reciever (hines) all day?

stillers4me
12-07-2008, 09:33 PM
i.m still trying to figure out where that short ,chain moving passing game from a few weeks ago went......looked to me like ben was focused 20+ yards down the field all day long, and it just wasn't happening. where the hell was our possession reciever (hines) all day?

Bingo! The whole Steelrs bar was asking........screaming, the same question!

Dino 6 Rings
12-07-2008, 09:36 PM

It happens sometimes, Hines gets shut down, the D keys on him.

I bet Cowboy fans were screaming about TO not getting the ball for most of the game as well. It happens. Other guys need to step up. That is something we need to work on.

The entire offense needs to work on its plays, from calling to execution.

But the Real Reality is this

10-3 with 3 to play.

Guess I'll take it.

markymarc
12-07-2008, 09:57 PM

So would I. There were a few times during the Cowgirls game I felt we should have gone no huddle.

Stlrs4Life
12-07-2008, 10:46 PM
If this team had half an offense, we would be unstoppable.

SunshineMan21
12-07-2008, 11:53 PM

While I agree that our offense played horribly for most of the game, there really isn't much reason to say the Cowboys suck and devalue the win like that.

The Cowboys are probably going to make the playoffs despite playing in possibly the toughest division in football and losing their QB for part of the season (during which they lost to the Rams), losing their star RB just now, and losing pretty much their entire secondary at different points.

They are a legitimitely solid team, with many offensive weapons and star defenders. And we beat them. Just like we beat the Redskins, the Patriots, and the Ravens, all of whom have a good shot at the playoffs.

Our offense performed when it mattered. Now we are a shoo-in for the playoffs and we've already faced most of the game's top teams.

Petesburgh66
12-07-2008, 11:56 PM

Pretty sure Ben wanted to attack the Dallas secondary, who are suspect to begin with and banged up. But I would have rather seen the short game that worked for a couple of games prior to the Dallas game. At least you get some decent positive yards on first down.

And just like fansince'76, I would rather see the hurry up O more. It seems the the Steeler O gets going most of the time with it.

Steelman16
12-08-2008, 12:45 AM
The offense looked anemic until that last 5 minutes. I too, was calling loudly for the no-huddle early on because the long balls weren't working.

I also didn't see many draw plays. (were there any?) It seems like Willie excels in that role, especially when we set it up successfully or not.

I actually thought the offensive line did an adequete job today. People will read the boxscore and see 5 sacks allowed and shake their heads, but IMO the line played well and had a few bad reads.

The real fact is that the rest of the offense did not execute (aside from the last few minutes). When that happens it places too much pressure on the line, which creates sacks and turnovers. We CAN play well-executed offense behind this line, but when that doesn't happen, well, the o-line takes the grief.

GridironWarrior
12-08-2008, 12:59 AM
The Oline did not play well IMO. Especially on that 4th and Goal. You see Colon fall and miss the block? They had no running game today at all. The whole Offense is keeping this team from being a Super Bowl team. Even the 2000 Ravens O knew how to convert turnovers and goaline situations.

verks36
12-08-2008, 01:42 AM

totally agreed the defense always plays all 60 minutes. Lets just see if the offense can muster up more than 1 drive

lardlad
12-08-2008, 03:33 AM
Yeah I think this game was all about execution. As much as I'd like to blame Arians, the plays were there to make.

I do wonder though where our run game has gone. Even with the OL as shaky as it has been this season, I think they are good enough to get a decent run game going. And I think we have the backs to do it too. I think a goo run game cures all the problems we saw today, at least nearly all.

BUT I think you do have to appreciate what the Steelers did today, they got so many breaks. The Cowboys were begging us to take this game and run with it and for what ever reason it wasn't happening. Most teams would have packed it in. So I do feel very good about the character of the Steelers this year. I really get the feeling they believe they are better than what they showed today, and that belief kept them alive. I have to agree, they are much better than this.

SteelCityKingsVP
12-08-2008, 03:37 AM
AMEN BROTHERS! It was an ugly win with poor poor poor execution. None the less it was a GREAT game to watch. Bottom line?...........WE WON

Steelers & I
12-08-2008, 05:14 AM
I've watched this offense all season and I've said to myself, Dude, if we play versus a team with an explosive offense, we're bound to lose. I just felt as if there was no way that the Steelers offense would be able to bring them back from a 14 point defict.

I still believe that, I don't feel as if yesterdays game proved anything. I mean after all, it was essentially the defense that won the game.

Now to the BUT: I started looking ahead to the playoffs and came to this realization.
With the exception of the Colts, the remaining AFC playoff contending teams DO NOT possess explosive offenses. Some may say that the Broncos have been explosive at times this season but really, are any of you Steelers fans worried about a playoff match up versus the Broncos? The Steeelers can handle the Broncos.

New England? We already kicked that A$$, I would love to meet them again.

Miami, no freaking offense, just trickery.

New York Jets, bring your interception throwing A$$ on Favre.

Tennessee, solid running game but not against the Steelers defense, old A$$ QB with little arm strength.

Baltimore, we beat them once this year, lets see what happens Sunday. Either way, we all know that the Steelers are capable of beating the Ravens in a playoff match up.

Indianapolis, yes, I'll have to define them as an explosive offense. Although they've had their problems this season, they're coming on and I view them as the only viable threat to the Steelers. With that being said, are any of us afraid to face the Colts @ Heinz Field in January? We absolutely gave them the win on November 9th.

I'm just trying to keep a positive outlook. After viewing potential playoff opponents, I'm not so damn worried about our offensive woes. Here's to kicking the Ravens A$$ this Sunday, and with that comes the AFC North CROWN! :drink:

revefsreleets
12-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Take a look at this OL:

Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Stapleton, Colon.

Anybody notice anything about it? Look at the depth chart in 07. Check it out at the beginning of this season. It's a minor miracle that these guys are playing as well as they are.

I'd also like to add that I can pretty much guarantee two ugly games over the next two weeks. Ratbirds and Titans are both gonna be knock-down, drag out barroom brawls, and both games will be ugly and low scoring. That's how this team plays. That's how this team wins. I don't give an eff if we win all the rest of our games 3-0 and each win comes with a triple OT FG, as long as WE WIN!

SuzyPeppercorn
12-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Take a look at this OL:

Anybody notice anything about it? Look at the depth chart in 07. Check it out at the beginning of this season. It's a minor miracle that these guys are playing as well as they are.

I'd also like to add that I can pretty much guarantee two ugly games over the next two weeks. Ratbirds and Titans are both gonna be knock-down, drag out barroom brawls, and both games will be ugly and low scoring. That's how this team plays. That's how this team wins. I don't give an eff if we win all the rest of our games 3-0 and each win comes with a triple OT FG, as long as WE WIN!

There is only one overtime during the regular season Mr. Mcnabb. Sorry for being a smart ass. :chuckle:

stlrtruck
12-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Sometimes winning ugly can be a beautiful thing in the long run.....like the long run in the playoffs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Take a look at this OL:

!

The thing is, that if you look at the strengths of Starks, Kemo and Hartwig, you would think we can run the ball behind them effectively. Slide Heath Miller over there to block and you have some pretty good run blockers.

I just dont see the committment to running the football as something this offense looks to establish any longer.

charlie martel
12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
The thing is, that if you look at the strengths of Starks, Kemo and Hartwig, you would think we can run the ball behind them effectively. Slide Heath Miller over there to block and you have some pretty good run blockers.

I just dont see the committment to running the football as something this offense looks to establish any longer.

Yes - from the time he took over it seems that Arians has sought to de-emphasize the run - we let go of arguably the best run blocking fullback in the nfl. The problem is that without a dominant running game, other teams have less problems unleashing their pass rush. To compound matters, most of Arians' pass plays (and his limited run plays) are slow developing and therefore susceptible to the blitz. We don't even run many screen plays to offset the blitz.

#1LambertFan
12-08-2008, 10:23 PM

They would? They are already comparing them to the Steel Curtain of old, Gang Green, and the Purple People Eaters. The tribe has spoken, we have been weighed and measured! Our defense is great and I'd like to tell my grandchildren how dominant we were on defense!:tt03:

WindyCitySteelerFan
12-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Football is 4 quarters. I don't care how hard anyone plays for 3 quarters, the game is played in 4. Our defense knocked them down so we could win in the 4th quarter. Its as simple as that. We won.

We Win,

We are the Steelers.

BlastFurnace
12-09-2008, 12:22 PM
I gotta admit this offense has me nervous. If they were capable of even putting forth an average showing, this team would be a shoe-in for the Superbowl. And we've got the people to do it. We've got the fastest RB in the league, a great QB and receiver corps, and 2 great TEs. Even the OL (which catches a lot of catcalls) is a good crew.
Willie Colon, Darnell Stapleton, Chris Kemoeatu, Marvel Smith, and Justin Hartwig.
Who do you point out in that crew and claim he sucks? Maybe the dismal performance this year is simply a result of the difficulty of the schedule. I dunno.
I'd like to see more flexible (and less obvious) play calling and formations. I'd like to see some lead blocking for Parker and barring that, more plays for Moore. Screens and quick-outs aren't glamorous, but at least they move the sticks.

I don't agree that the "hardest part of our schedule" is behind us. We're taking on the #1 threat to our playoff seat this week, followed by the #1 ranked AFC team. And if we succeed, it's "win or go home" against the best teams in the league.
I'm not sneezing at 10-3, but I think we've got to do a better job of moving the ball from here on out if we hope to get anywhere.

/just sayin'. :tt02::tt::tt03:

We are still not playing our best football on offense. The good thing is that we all know what kind of High Level Ben can play at....and it's entirely possible for him to drive us to victory throughout the playoffs.

What we need to remember is the quality of opponent our offense has been playing. Many of the defenses we are playing are good defenses. It's not like we are going to go 10 play / 80 yards against any of them consistenly. No one does.

d2609j
12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I think Dallas outplayed us one quarter in the game. Wind played a huge factor in the game with field position, kicking, and passing. They scored 10 pts in the 3rd quarter because we couldnt kick the ball farther than 35 yrds. We left 6-10 pts on the field with the missed FG and 4th down stop. Biggest play of the game was 3rd and 16 play to Holmes for 47 yrds. It changed field position and we got the wind shortly after that. When we tied it with 2 mins to go, I was secretly hoping we would lose the OT coin flip so we could have the wind. The thing that concerns me is we outplayed them for 3 quarters, had all the turnovers and the game was still close. Our OC needs to do a better job at play calling and getting the right personel in there. What the heck was parker doing in there on 1 and 2 down when we have the ball on the 3???

Fire Haley
12-09-2008, 01:03 PM
. Our defense knocked them down so we could win in the 4th quarter. Its as simple as that. We won.

They did more than knock them down, they knocked them out.

It's a bloodbath - da boys lost one of their starting guards too, Giants can thank us later.

Anthony Henry to safety news
Yahoo! Buzz
E-mail News tips

It looks like Anthony Henry's move to safety could be a long-term thing. Ken Hamlin is walking around in a walking boot. Keith Davis is limping around with a busted knee.

Two safeties are down. Henry played some in the dime package and he could move there Sunday against the Giants.

NYC SteelersFan
12-09-2008, 01:37 PM
We've got the fastest RB in the league

That doesn't mean he's good, 23rd ranked rushing offense sums up our problems.

If you can't rush, it hurts the pass, if you can't pass, it hurts the rush. The cycle is neverending.

LambertIsGod58
12-09-2008, 01:55 PM
That doesn't mean he's good, 23rd ranked rushing offense sums up our problems.

If you can't rush, it hurts the pass, if you can't pass, it hurts the rush. The cycle is neverending.

Hence, stuck in neutral.

The_WARDen
12-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I think Dallas outplayed us one quarter in the game. Wind played a huge factor in the game with field position, kicking, and passing. They scored 10 pts in the 3rd quarter because we couldnt kick the ball farther than 35 yrds. We left 6-10 pts on the field with the missed FG and 4th down stop. Biggest play of the game was 3rd and 16 play to Holmes for 47 yrds. It changed field position and we got the wind shortly after that. When we tied it with 2 mins to go, I was secretly hoping we would lose the OT coin flip so we could have the wind. The thing that concerns me is we outplayed them for 3 quarters, had all the turnovers and the game was still close. Our OC needs to do a better job at play calling and getting the right personel in there. What the heck was parker doing in there on 1 and 2 down when we have the ball on the 3???

They scored 10 in th 3rd with the wind and the Steelers scored 17 in the 4th with the wind.

Bring on the Felons!

:coffee:

DarkRaven
12-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm sorry but the Steelers were not impressive against Dallas. The Steelers are a good team, but be honest with yourself. The game was a gift. If Romo would of ran the ball to kill the clock. There is no way Ben would of got it down the field in the time. The Steelers just don't have that type of offense. What I think will be done differently this week is that the Ravens will put at least 17-21 points on the board and milk the clock. The Ravens are #1 in T.O.P. I can easily see the Steelers rushing to get the ball back.

fansince'76
12-09-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm sorry but the Steelers were not impressive against Dallas. The Steelers are a good team, but be honest with yourself. The game was a gift. If Romo would of ran the ball to kill the clock. There is no way Ben would of got it down the field in the time. The Steelers just don't have that type of offense. What I think will be done differently this week is that the Ravens will put at least 17-21 points on the board and milk the clock. The Ravens are #1 in T.O.P. I can easily see the Steelers rushing to get the ball back.

And you sucked and sucked hard against the Giants. We at least stopped their run and handed them the game the same way you claim Dallas handed the game to us. They punched you in the mouth and took your lunch money. What is your point?

LambertIsGod58
12-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Doesn't mean he's bad, either. That's my point; we've got the weapons for a stellar offense, but it's just not clicking.

nah....actually we don't. Ben's the only one that can really play. We need a new offensive line, a new offensive coordinator, new receivers and running backs. Ben has had to do it all himself since coming to Pittsburgh. It's time we get him some help.:coffee:

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
yeah a big hell yeah to this post!

a win is a win is a win