PDA

View Full Version : am I legit to say "we" about the Steelers?

Jaquila
12-07-2008, 08:50 PM
when i talk with people I use the term "we" when im talking about Steelers and a lot of people laugh at me and mugs me. they tell me that its a term i am not legit to use since im not a part of the team and i live in Denmark(europe) and not in Pittsburgh or even in USA.
personally i think im legit to say we about the Steelers since i followed and been rooting for them for 8 years now, i buy my jerseys and merchandise from steelers.com, i pay 250$ every year for NFL gamepass so i can watch every Steelers game and even though im not from pittsburgh i am planning on going there next year to watch a game.
So i was just curios about what you guys think. am i legit to use the term "we" about the Steelers or should i shut my mouth and use "they" or "the Steelers" in future hehe?

stillers4me
12-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I do.

Because they are mine. All mine.

markymarc
12-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I find myself using the "we" term very often when talking about the Steelers.

Frankie3521
12-07-2008, 09:01 PM
I always say "we", my buddies always mess with me because of that, but I can't help it.

fansince'76
12-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I've caught stick for saying "we" when discussing the Steelers as well, but to me, it sounds more awkward saying "they."

Brandon
12-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Without us the Steelers don't exist. We pay their salaries. They are ours.

MACH1
12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
I've caught stick for saying "we" when discussing the Steelers as well, but to me, it sounds more awkward saying "they."

Same here. But most people I know say "we" when talking about their team.
Like we are going to kick your a$$ next time. :chuckle:

adam10
12-07-2008, 09:10 PM
"We" are Steeler Nation and "we" are a part of the team and who they are...

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Damn right I say "we" and "my" Steelers!

Stlrs4Life
12-07-2008, 09:44 PM
I always say we also. Because as a fan, we are a part of the team.

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2008, 09:45 PM
I always say we also. Because as a fan, we are a part of the team.

Once you become a fan, you feel like you're part of the team.

OX1947
12-07-2008, 09:47 PM
If their O can just play OK in the playoffs, we are in great shape. They cant keep playing like this, they have way too much talent to be playing like this. They make too many bonehead players. Its fine if they cant make plays all the time but they make way too many dumb mistakes.

beSteelmyheart
12-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Yep, I am "guilty" as well! And when I'm asking other fans about their teams I will often say something like "Who are you guys playing this week?" or something like that.

hindes204
12-07-2008, 09:52 PM
i also say we.....and catch hell for it all the time

SteelersMongol
12-08-2008, 12:16 AM
I always say "WE" & "OUR TEAM".

When I was working at my previous job, one guy tried to make fun of me and asked me about those words usages. Then I told him "Well, what am I suppose to say? I can't say "Your Steelers", can I?" That shut him up pretty good.

verks36
12-08-2008, 12:35 AM
must definitley say we. I always do but it does some times sound a little weird

Galax Steeler
12-08-2008, 04:03 AM
I say we all the time I see nothing wrong with it I catch hell at work but I don't care.

Busforever
12-08-2008, 04:46 AM
I'm from France and I say "nous" :chuckle:

The_WARDen
12-08-2008, 08:57 AM
when i talk with people I use the term "we" when im talking about Steelers and a lot of people laugh at me and mugs me. they tell me that its a term i am not legit to use since im not a part of the team and i live in Denmark(europe) and not in Pittsburgh or even in USA.
personally i think im legit to say we about the Steelers since i followed and been rooting for them for 8 years now, i buy my jerseys and merchandise from steelers.com, i pay 250$ every year for NFL gamepass so i can watch every Steelers game and even though im not from pittsburgh i am planning on going there next year to watch a game.
So i was just curios about what you guys think. am i legit to use the term "we" about the Steelers or should i shut my mouth and use "they" or "the Steelers" in future hehe?

if you are on the payroll, you can say we. Otherwise, you're just a fan.

TailgateMel
12-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Considering:

a) I pay the extra 1% sales tax in Allegheny County that helped pay for the new Stadium
b) The Steelers "represent" the Pittsburgh area, and I live in that area
c) I have spent over $1,000 this year attending home Steelers games
d) I yell my a-s off at the game to help the defense.

Yep.. I think I have the right to say "we".

If you buy Steelers stuff, you are contributing to the team
If you go to a game, you are contributing to the team

If you contribute to the team.. IMHO.. you have earned the right to say "we"...

Mel

klick81
12-08-2008, 09:39 AM
I think most people that give "looks" to whoever says "we" when discussing a football team are not actual football fans and therefore cannot understand the actual connection between a fan and his or her team.

But yes, I say "we" many times. I try not to because it does sound a little weird but dammit, that's MY TEAM!

Dino 6 Rings
12-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I don't mind if you refer to us and say we.

We Steelers don't mind at all if you say Us when talking about your favorite team.

After all, we did just beat the Cowboys, we do have 5 titles, we are the best defense in the NFL right now and we are just freaking awesome.

T&B fan
12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
here WE go steelers here WE go

decleater
12-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I always say we also. Because as a fan, we are a part of the team. That say's it!:tt02:

GutterflowerSteel
12-08-2008, 11:27 AM
I always use WE when referring to my Steelers. And if someone doesn't like it ... EFF 'em! :wink02: Their opinion has no effect on my world.

steelreserve
12-08-2008, 12:41 PM
I find myself saying "we" more often for positive things (e.g. "We're kicking their ass!") and "you" or "they" more often when criticizing decisions (e.g. "Why the hell would you call that play on 3rd-and-12?" or "They need to put Parker's sorry ass on the bench.")

Self-serving, I know, but what do you expect. At least there's consistently some swearing no matter what's being talked about.

thirstypirate
12-08-2008, 12:47 PM
I've always said "we" with pride. When the Steelers do well I feel a lot of pride in them and our city and when the are stinking it up I feel down about it "with" them. The players, fans, and city are all connected in this thing.

stlrtruck
12-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I say, "WE" because being a fan of the Steelers is like being a member of a huge family. And while I understand that I'm not part of the team on the field and do not play for the Steelers, I think other team's fan bases don't get it.

WE ARE STEELERS NATION!

And therefore, we are part of the Steelers

cowboykilla
12-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Use ''we'',and do so proudly. We are STEELER NATION! Forget those haters>

Texasteel
12-08-2008, 06:36 PM
The steelers have always had a very special bond with their fans, that is far above any other team, not matter what the cowboys would like to tell you. Even back when they were not very good. They have depended on their fans love and faithfulness. I think that when Mr. Rooney obtained ownership of the team he himself caused that bond and was very proud of it. I truly believe that The Chief would be offended if the fans did not use the word we.

By the way one guy tried to give me a hard time about using to term we. They tell me he is healing nicely.