PDA

View Full Version : Why the divison is basically clinched already

HereWeGoSteelers219
12-08-2008, 02:30 PM
This is assuming us and Baltimore beat Cleveland and Jacksonville the last week of the season. Even if we lose to Baltimore, we will still be tied, and the Titans will have the home field advantage clinched since they play Houston. Then, I highliy doubt that the Titans would play their starters against our defense that is very likely to force some injuries. So, if we beat the Titans, we win the divison even if Baltimore beats Dallas, because the Common Games will be tied, and we will have the better AFC record.

Besides, I think we can beat Tennessee with their starters. We will shut down the run, and they won't pass on our secondary. But, I don't think they want to see James Harrison light up Chris Johnson and end his season in a game they don't need.

VTsteel
12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
I love the positive attitude - And I do largely agree.

That being said . . . If we lose our last three we have to hope Baltimore loses their last two (At Dallas and Home vs. Jacksonville). This Division could go down to the wire . . .

Brandon
12-08-2008, 02:41 PM
So say we lose to Baltimore. And then we end the season, who would win the division?

Fire Haley
I prefer the simpler method of winning the division by beating the snot outta the Ratbirds this Sunday.

HereWeGoSteelers219
I love the positive attitude - And I do largely agree.

That being said . . . If we lose our last three we have to hope Baltimore loses their last two (At Dallas and Home vs. Jacksonville). This Division could go down to the wire . . .

If we lose to Cleveland with Ken Dorsey, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs, and I don't see Tennessee as a threat at all. They looked bad vs. Cleveland.

HereWeGoSteelers219
12-08-2008, 02:43 PM
So say we lose to Baltimore. And then we end the season, who would win the division?

You can't tell since the common games and AFC matchups aren't even. But, if the common games and AFC records are tied, I think it goes down to Strength of Victory, which I believe they will have us in since they got to run up their scores against Oakland and Miami.

T&B fan
12-08-2008, 02:58 PM
You can't tell since the common games and AFC matchups aren't even. But, if the common games and AFC records are tied, I think it goes down to Strength of Victory, which I believe they will have us in since they got to run up their scores against Oakland and Miami.

this is why the TD that was not given to us by the NFL sucked and it took away from Troys stats

The_WARDen
12-08-2008, 03:02 PM
I prefer the simpler method of winning the division by beating the snot outta the Ratbirds this Sunday.

that solves everything!

:tt03:

Fire Haley
12-08-2008, 03:17 PM
If you want the tiebreaker scenarios - it's a bit more komplikated

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
Head-to-head, if applicable.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best net points in conference games.
Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best net points in conference games.
Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Crow-Magnon
12-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Even if the Ravens beat the Steelers this Sunday, I still think they will have a hard road to hoe to win the division. Unless I'm mistaken, the Steelers have a one-game advantage in conference wins, and the Ravens have two games remaining within the AFC (Steelers-Jags) while Pittsburgh has three (Ravens-Titans-Browns).

So if both teams end up 11-5 or 12-4, I think the Steelers have the edge.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Please!

devilsdancefloor
12-08-2008, 03:34 PM

AMEN!!!:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

stlrtruck
12-08-2008, 03:35 PM

Now those are some words to live by.

Let's forget all the ifs and thens and just beat the ratbirds worse than a rented mule!!!

Fire Haley
12-08-2008, 03:37 PM
One game at a time, grasshoppers.

steelreserve
12-08-2008, 03:37 PM
First, even if Baltimore beats us, I don't think they're very likely to win out. They've just been beating up on piss-poor teams all season. There's no way they go undefeated.

Second, we can just settle the whole thing next week by murdering them like we're capable of. Now that our defense is firing on all cylinders, there's no way in hell a mediocre offense with a rookie QB should be able to touch us.

TailgateMel
12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Nothing is basically clinched... we either have to win next week, or win vs. the next two after that.... but, considering there is a good chance we might see the Ravens again in the playoffs, we need to win... I don't want to see this be the same situation we were in last year with Jacksonville.

Mel

RoethlisBURGHer
12-08-2008, 04:03 PM
I say beat the Ravens. The ONLY tiebreaker I like to win a division by is head-to-head matchup.

Also, aint it screwed up that Strength of Victory comes before Strength of Schedule in the tiebreakers?

SteelCurtain7
12-08-2008, 04:23 PM

That's the proper attitude, Mr. Killer. :tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-08-2008, 04:39 PM
I say beat the Ravens. The ONLY tiebreaker I like to win a division by is head-to-head matchup.

Exactly, because if we cant beat Baltimore on the road, we cant beat the Titans. Not likely that the Titans rest their starters on the 2nd last weekend of the season, then have a bye. Giving your guys 3 weeks off isnt resting them,......its rusting them.

Crow-Magnon
12-08-2008, 05:13 PM
First, even if Baltimore beats us, I don't think they're very likely to win out. They've just been beating up on piss-poor teams all season. There's no way they go undefeated.

Second, we can just settle the whole thing next week by murdering them like we're capable of. Now that our defense is firing on all cylinders, there's no way in hell a mediocre offense with a rookie QB should be able to touch us.

I seem to remember another rookie QB who won a SB ring a few years back.

Just sayin'.......

fansince'76
12-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I seem to remember another rookie QB who won a SB ring a few years back.

Just sayin'.......

He won it in his second year as a starter - not a rookie. He hit the rookie wall in the '04 postseason.

Crow-Magnon
12-08-2008, 05:29 PM
He won it in his second year as a starter - not a rookie. He hit the rookie wall in the '04 postseason.

My mistake. He did go 13-3 in the regular season though, right?

VTsteel
12-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Nothing is basically clinched... we either have to win next week, or win vs. the next two after that.... but, considering there is a good chance we might see the Ravens again in the playoffs, we need to win... I don't want to see this be the same situation we were in last year with Jacksonville.

Mel

If we do win next week . . . And we do meet the Ratbirds in the playoffs . . . Statistically teams that have won the first two meetings are 11-7 in their third meeting.

Since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, there have been 18 times when a team went into a playoff game with a chance to complete a three-game season sweep, according to STATS, Inc. Those teams are 11-7.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/010708dnsponfl3wins.19ede6b.html

Steeler in Carolina
12-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I say we beat the Ravens, then Dallas beats the Ravens, and then Jax beats them and they miss the playoffs.

stillers4me
12-08-2008, 06:11 PM
I say we beat the Ravens, then Dallas beats the Ravens, and then Jax beats them and they miss the playoffs.

I say we go with your plan. :chuckle:

tyler289
12-08-2008, 06:13 PM
My mistake. He did go 13-3 in the regular season though, right?

15-1.

fansince'76
12-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I'd like to see us win the next two and then take the foot off the gas a bit in the regular season finale against Cleveland. 12-4 assures us of at least the 2nd seed with no tiebreakers necessary - hell, we may still be able to beat the Browns with our starters out for the most part.

EDIT: On second thought, scratch that. We need to win out. There's still an outside possibility of the Colts going 12-4 too - they'd beat us out for the playoff bye week with the head-to-head meeting tiebreaker. Damn, I REALLY wish we could have that game back.

Dino 6 Rings
12-08-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm a fan of having to earn the AFC North Title by beating the Ravens on their home field. Especially in game that they will be giving us their very best and will won't be sitting anyone either.

Mano y Mano

or whatever...this is what December football is all about.

PalmerSteel
12-08-2008, 06:53 PM
this will be a very physical game. win or lose, i just hope we make it out of there ok with no injuries to have enough energy and starters for the titans.

#1LambertFan
12-08-2008, 06:58 PM
We can't afford injuries. Not when we are looking this good this late on an injury standpoint. Although if we do get the first round bye that is a week to rest.

lilyoder6
12-08-2008, 07:22 PM
I'd like to see us win the next two and then take the foot off the gas a bit in the regular season finale against Cleveland. 12-4 assures us of at least the 2nd seed with no tiebreakers necessary - hell, we may still be able to beat the Browns with our starters out for the most part.

EDIT: On second thought, scratch that. We need to win out. There's still an outside possibility of the Colts going 12-4 too - they'd beat us out for the playoff bye week with the head-to-head meeting tiebreaker. Damn, I REALLY wish we could have that game back.

the colts can't get a 1st rd bye.. they are a wildcard team, and i do beleive wildcard teams can't get a 1st rd bye... with the titans winning the division and all.. so on that note we are still safe

steelersgab
12-08-2008, 07:25 PM
The Colts cannot have the bye, as they would only be a wild card

MasterOfPuppets
12-08-2008, 07:31 PM
The Colts cannot have the bye, as they would only be a wild card

:tap: .....GOOD POINT !!!.....10 POINTS TO YOU :thumbsup: