PDA

View Full Version : Steelers can solve tiebreaker with win

mesaSteeler
12-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Steelers can solve tiebreaker with win
By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/12-9-Steelers-vs--Ravens-tiebreakers
dlolley@observer-reporter.com

PITTSBURGH - After vanquishing an old rival, the Steelers now set their sights on a current one.

After a 20-13 victory Sunday over the Dallas Cowboys, the Steelers' biggest rivals from the 1970s, Pittsburgh does not have time to bask in the win, not with a game against the Baltimore Ravens looming.

The Steelers (10-3) have insisted throughout the season they aren't concerned about Baltimore (9-4) keeping pace in the AFC North.

"I'm just thinking about the next game; that's it," said Steelers linebacker James Harrison. "I don't care what (Baltimore) is doing. I don't care what they've done. Our job is to win. If we win, we don't have to look behind us."

They do have to look at the Ravens now.

There is no denying Sunday's game in Baltimore is the biggest of the season.

A win by the Steelers would sweep the Ravens and clinch the AFC North. Pittsburgh defeated Baltimore, 23-20, in overtime at Heinz Field Sept. 29. A victory by Baltimore would cloud the picture.

A Ravens' win would leave the two teams with identical records heading into the final three weeks of the season, and a spilt of the regular season series.

Baltimore would temporarily be in first place in the AFC North based on a 5-1 division record compared to 4-1 for the Steelers. Pittsburgh has one remaining division game, against Cleveland at Heinz Field in Week 17.

If the two teams finish with identical records and the Steelers beat Cleveland, the NFL would use the third criteria, won-loss percentage in common games, to break the tie.

But that might not work.

Both teams could own 7-3 records against common opponents. Baltimore finishes the season at Dallas and home to Jacksonville, two teams the Steelers have defeated this season.

Pittsburgh closes at Tennessee, which beat the Ravens Oct. 5, and home against Cleveland.

If the two teams finish tied after Week 17, and their record against common opponents remain the same, the NFL would go to the fourth tiebreaking procedure, best won-loss percentage in games played within the conference.

The Steelers currently have an advantage based on their 8-1 record within the AFC. Baltimore is 7-3.

But a loss to Baltimore would give the Steelers an 8-2 record in the conference, putting the Ravens one game behind the Steelers in that tiebreaker.

In that event, the Steelers could win the division by sweeping their final two games.

If the Steelers were to lose one of their final two games, it would give them a third conference loss and possibly force the NFL to use the fifth tiebreaker, strength of victory.

In that event, the Steelers have to hope the New England Patriots and San Diego Chargers - two teams they have beaten - continue to win, while Miami and Philadelphia - two teams the Ravens have beaten - falter.

Pittsburgh's victories have come against teams with a combined 52-55-1 record, compared to 36-57-2 for the Ravens.

"We just need to go and take care of business," said Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley. "If we do that, nothing else matters."

Odds and end zones

Safety Troy Polamalu's seven interceptions are the most by a Steelers player since Willie Williams led the AFC with seven in 1995. Only Rod Woodson, who had eight interceptions in 1993, had more than seven since 1976. ... The Steelers are allowing 3.9 yards per punt return, second only to Atlanta's 1.7. ... Pittsburgh leads the league in allowing 19.1 yards per kickoff return.

Copyright Observer Publishing Co.

Steelers Since '75
12-09-2008, 06:45 AM
I guess Tomlin really did fix the ST... those stats are amazing... what a turnaround for a team that was a joke last year on ST. :tt03:

markymarc
12-09-2008, 07:18 AM
We just need to take care of business on Sunday. I also don't believe the Rats will win against Dallas.

Dino 6 Rings
12-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Love it. 3 games last in the season, all 3 against teams I can't stand.

Starting with the Ravens. Win this one, we are AFC North Champs and on pace to get that first round bye week.

Awesome season so far. Keep focussed and lets kick the snot out of those fools from Baltimore!

stlrtruck
12-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Just take care of business and the other business will take care of itself.

Thing is if we beat the ratbirds, they are not potentially one step away from being out of the playoffs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I guess Tomlin really did fix the ST... those stats are amazing... what a turnaround for a team that was a joke last year on ST. :tt03:

I just dont get how it is that Ligashesky gets the blame for Special Teams last year, now Tomlin gets the credit for them this year. :noidea:

DarkRaven
12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Good Post ! --There is nothing more priceless then seeing Steeler fans soak in misery when they lose to the Ravens. This forum just implodes when the Ravens beat them. You gotta love it. Go Ravens !

Crow-Magnon
12-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Good Post ! --There is nothing more priceless then seeing Steeler fans soak in misery when they lose to the Ravens. This forum just implodes when the Ravens beat them. You gotta love it. Go Ravens !

Dude, let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

tony hipchest
12-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I just dont get how it is that Ligashesky gets the blame for Special Teams last year, now Tomlin gets the credit for them this year. :noidea:tomlin deserfves credit for not going knee-jerk and firing him like so many fans wanted. he stayed the course, and stuck by his man.

its paid off huge.

fansince'76
12-09-2008, 01:04 PM

:yawn:

DarkRaven
12-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Dude, let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

Well, apparently after reading all of these post you would of thought the Steelers won the Super Bowl. So who is counting their chickens before they hatch???

fansince'76
12-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Well, apparently after reading all of these post you would of thought the Steelers won the Super Bowl. So who is counting their chickens before they hatch???

It's a STEELERS board, moron.

Time to say 'bye, troll.

Crow-Magnon
12-09-2008, 01:12 PM

I think your question has been answered!

SteelMember
12-09-2008, 01:16 PM
:tombstone Here lies DarkRaven

50 posts for 2 stars, but still no class. He will not be missed.

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
12-09-2008, 02:24 PM
yeah we have our season in our own hands,.

and thats a position i like

fanofsteel
12-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I believe our "DEFENSE" will pose problems & limit raven scoring!

On the other hand our offense needs to exicute quick, mix up no huddle and most of all own the "RUN GAME".

Idea!! Give the ball to the human bowling ball Casey Hamton for 4th & inches especially goal line & go.

fansince'76
12-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Idea!! Give the ball to the human bowling ball Casey Hamton for 4th & inches especially goal line & go.

Big Snack = The "New Fridge?" :chuckle:

Great minds think alike - and so do ours! :chuckle:

Welcome to the board! :cheers:

BozMan
12-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I believe our "DEFENSE" will pose problems & limit raven scoring!

On the other hand our offense needs to exicute quick, mix up no huddle and most of all own the "RUN GAME".

Or give the ball to Troy and let him jump over top of the opposing D into the end zone. He wanted Cowher to let him do that in SB XL.

markymarc
12-10-2008, 06:15 AM

Must be nice to have a crystal ball that allows you to see the Rats winning on Sunday. And please be sure to stop back if the Steelers win on Sunday.

markymarc
12-10-2008, 06:17 AM

Yea and I am sure on the Rats boards you wouldn't find the exact same talk happening. You better make it a point to stop by on Sunday or next week if the Steelers take care of business.

Crow-Magnon
12-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Yea and I am sure on the Rats boards you wouldn't find the exact same talk happening. You better make it a point to stop by on Sunday or next week if the Steelers take care of business.

I do not think Dark Raven will be back on Sunday, Ravens win or loss. The magic word is "banned."