PDA

View Full Version : Has fantasy football and madden ruined fans

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Has the fans of today become so enamored with the fantasy football league play that we can no longer enjoy great football. Is everything now viewed as a statical footnote as to how the game is or should be played. If our players do not thrive on game day with outstanding stats do we just ignore the little things that they do that make them and their team winners.On this forum I have read some of the most incredulous post that we should bench Ben, Parker, trade rookies who have not even been in the league a year yet. We hear about how our QB does not compare to the elites such as Favre,Elway, Marino, Peyton, and Brady. I got a newsflash for everyone, those five guys are HOFers or sure future HOFers. But lets not just look at their careers lets be honest and look back at the early years. Favre could not lead his team to a playoff appearance until R. White showed up to bolster the D. Marino lead his team to a SB early in his career and then never got close again, Elway and Peyton where both viewed as overrated until they lead their teams to the SB. BTW the Broncos SB just so happened to coincide with a a great back named T Davis. Only Brady has entered the league winning from the start. I am not going to even begin to talk Spygate, I will just say he is a great QB even if I personally hate him. We as fans love football and play fantasy leagues and madden and in some way we wonder if we could call the shots for a real team I.E. make trades, bench players, call plays. Sadly that is why I or 99.9% of everyone else should stick to video games and fantasy. I fully trust Tomlin and his Staff at this juncture of the season, win or lose, because I believe they know more than me. And since I believe I know more than most of you(judging from your posts) than you should have faith in your team as it is today. Remember I said most of you not all.

fansince'76
12-09-2008, 02:00 PM
In a word? Yup. :coffee:

X-Terminator
12-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Yes, without a doubt.

The_WARDen
12-09-2008, 02:18 PM
While I agree...just one correction from an Elway fan here.

Elway went to several SBs in the late 80's early 90's way b4 TD got there.

That's it...nothing major.

Fire Haley
12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Absolutely, positively, 100% "yes".

We wouldn't have to listen to all the Madden GM geniuses tell us how to run a team or hear how every player should be a Pro-Bower with a Pro-Bowler as back-up too.

The only lower forms of life in my book are the "mock draft experts".

Sit down , shut up and watch the games.

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Warden while I agree Elway did get to SBs early in his career I said he was considered overrated (before he won his last two years) That is why he was perceived as .overrated in that he got there but his team lost badly. Just as Peyton, while leading his team to terrific w-l regular seasons, was considered overrated simply because he could not get by NE in the playoffs.Thank you for pointing this out and letting me clarify my thinking.

Edman
12-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Yep. Pretty much.

John Elway is a Hall of Famer, but it wasn't until the final few years of his career when he started putting up great numbers. Young Elway would be castrated by the media in his day and age. He, like Ben, got sacked a lot.

Troy Aikman had quite a few pedestrian seasons as well. He's in the HOF, too.

The_WARDen
12-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Warden while I agree Elway did get to SBs early in his career I said he was considered overrated (before he won his last two years) That is why he was perceived as .overrated in that he got there but his team lost badly. Just as Peyton, while leading his team to terrific w-l regular seasons, was considered overrated simply because he could not get by NE in the playoffs.Thank you for pointing this out and letting me clarify my thinking.

Like I said, no biggie....

:tt03:

Dino 6 Rings
12-09-2008, 02:57 PM
I blame the forward pass

Where has smash mouth gone!

stlrtruck
12-09-2008, 03:12 PM
I think Fantasy Football and Madden has made some fans think that every player on "their team" should be the A-Caliber top fantasy player.

Therefore, it ruins the game to an extent.

43Hitman
12-09-2008, 03:15 PM
If only we had Kuhn..Then there would be peace in Steeler land.

The Duke
12-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I like playing FF. I like playing madden

But I know there's a big difference between the two and actual football. A win is a win no matter what, I don't care if my QB and RB get 0 yards

Like our beloved coach would say, It is what it is

lilyoder6
12-09-2008, 03:31 PM
u are correct.. i think that some ppl think that if they can run plays successfully in madden then y can't they work in real-life and what not...

NYC SteelersFan
12-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Has the fans of today become so enamored with the fantasy football league play that we can no longer enjoy great football. Is everything now viewed as a statical footnote as to how the game is or should be played.

Sadly that is why I or 99.9% of everyone else should stick to video games and fantasy. I fully trust Tomlin and his Staff at this juncture of the season, win or lose, because I believe they know more than me. And since I believe I know more than most of you(judging from your posts) than you should have faith in your team as it is today. Remember I said most of you not all.

I have not played Madden or any other football game since 2003-2004. And I have not played fantasy football in 4 years.

All sports are based on stats, without stats sports would be less interesting because then there are always 2 possible outcomes; You win and you're happy, you lose and you're upset. Sports without stats are from the days of the gladiators. They created sports with stats so fans would have something to talk about other than how bloody the competition was or how perfectly the guy from the red team properly speared and killed the guy from blue team. Would I sill watched if stats were removed? Of course, the competition while it is happening is the best part after all. If you like sports without stats, go rent "The Blood of Heroes" GREAT MOVIE.

The American public fully trusted the current administration when they said that weapons of mass destruction were in Iraq and that they were responsible for 9/11. Those who questioned were told by others to, "fully trust in the president and his staff because they know more than most of us do."

Questioning is what created this country in the first place and gave us all the freedom to write whatever the hell we want on these imaginary walls in cyber space. I respect my ability to question, I'm thankful for it, and I will continue to do so in every aspect of my life including my love for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Bench Tomlin, put Ricco Suavez in!

Steelman16
12-09-2008, 04:58 PM
But, but, but...

In Madden, Mendenhall would be starting over Willie, Timmons would be HoF materiel already, Ben would have been traded for a "take your pick quarterback", Limas Sweed would be starting over Ward, and...

:chuckle:

LetsRock
12-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Fantasy Football is a total waste of time.

Hammer Of The GODS
12-09-2008, 05:30 PM
The American public fully trusted the current administration when they said that weapons of mass destruction were in Iraq and that they were responsible for 9/11. Those who questioned were told by others to, "fully trust in the president and his staff because they know more than most of us do."

Questioning is what created this country in the first place and gave us all the freedom to write whatever the hell we want on these imaginary walls in cyber space. I respect my ability to question, I'm thankful for it, and I will continue to do so in every aspect of my life including my love for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

What the hell does that have to do with fantasty football ?

Back to the topic.... Yes to a degree. But personally I think the media is more to blame. Teams like the Steelers are just a blip on thier radar because the "sling it all day" style isn't Steeler football. So people who tune in to these clowns listen to them and think they have a point. Just look at this past win. ALL the douchebags in the media said the cowboys lost the game. They said that Homo and the boys played below thier standard. Hmmmm how about the fact that the Steelers defense ate thier lunch !??! The Steelers D din't dominate. oh nooo it was the cowgirls O that played subpar? As if thier Offense wasn't trying win or something!

A combination of both FF and the media for sure!

Brandon
12-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Has the fans of today become so enamored with the fantasy football league play that we can no longer enjoy great football. Is everything now viewed as a statical footnote as to how the game is or should be played. If our players do not thrive on game day with outstanding stats do we just ignore the little things that they do that make them and their team winners.On this forum I have read some of the most incredulous post that we should bench Ben, Parker, trade rookies who have not even been in the league a year yet. We hear about how our QB does not compare to the elites such as Favre,Elway, Marino, Peyton, and Brady. I got a newsflash for everyone, those five guys are HOFers or sure future HOFers. But lets not just look at their careers lets be honest and look back at the early years. Favre could not lead his team to a playoff appearance until R. White showed up to bolster the D. Marino lead his team to a SB early in his career and then never got close again, Elway and Peyton where both viewed as overrated until they lead their teams to the SB. BTW the Broncos SB just so happened to coincide with a a great back named T Davis. Only Brady has entered the league winning from the start. I am not going to even begin to talk Spygate, I will just say he is a great QB even if I personally hate him. We as fans love football and play fantasy leagues and madden and in some way we wonder if we could call the shots for a real team I.E. make trades, bench players, call plays. Sadly that is why I or 99.9% of everyone else should stick to video games and fantasy. I fully trust Tomlin and his Staff at this juncture of the season, win or lose, because I believe they know more than me. And since I believe I know more than most of you(judging from your posts) than you should have faith in your team as it is today. Remember I said most of you not all.

Yep, on Madden you can trade A first round pick and Hines Ward for Peyton Manning.

NYC SteelersFan
12-09-2008, 05:42 PM
What the hell does that have to do with fantasty football ?

Back to the topic.... Yes to a degree. But personally I think the media is more to blame. Teams like the Steelers are just a blip on thier radar because the "sling it all day" style isn't Steeler football. So people who tune in to these clowns listen to them and think they have a point. Just look at this past win. ALL the douchebags in the media said the cowboys lost the game. They said that Homo and the boys played below thier standard. Hmmmm how about the fact that the Steelers defense ate thier lunch !??! The Steelers D din't dominate. oh nooo it was the cowgirls O that played subpar? As if thier Offense wasn't trying win or something!

A combination of both FF and the media for sure!

The OP said we should keep our mouths shut and trust whatever the coaches do cause they know better than us. I was making a point of be able to state your opinion and question things you think are wrong. I quoted the specific statement he made that I was responding to. I'm sorry you didn't read it properly.

fansince'76
12-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Bench Tomlin, put Ricco Suavez in!

:chuckle:

moedap
12-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I am of the opinion that Madden and Fantasy Sports has made the fans more knowledgeable about football. I played this 12 year old kid in Madden who actually understood a cosiderable number of the differences between a 3-4 versus a 4-3 defense (He beat me!).
Back in the day I didnt care about stats when rooting for the Steelers. I didnt care how many yards Rocky B racked up. I dont care how many yards Carey Davis racks up. Did the Steelers win or lose? .Blank However, fantasy football allows you to respect the individuals contribution. I attribute this to the guys who love football that also love to gamble. Fantasy football can create a knowledgeable fan. It even brings the NFL fans who have no clue about football.

I think it only ruins the individuals who didnt have a love or grow to love the sport of football. As for calling the shots I recently volunteered to coach a youth football team. In preparation I began attending clinics giving by high school and college coaches and was amazed at how clueless I was when it came to "calling the shots".

SteelCityKing
12-09-2008, 07:13 PM
i've lost my love for Fantasy Football after this season. all of my first rounders in my 3 leagues got hurt and out for the season. i barely got any wins and i blamed it all on the players who i really have no control over. i realize...Fantasy Football is a waste of time.

Madden has gained in luster but is lost in my life as well. i just can't get into it anymore. maybe it's because i don't own a next gen system or anything like that, but i do play when i can and i realize...Madden is tedious and is nowhere close to being as fun as watching a REAL game on tv and rooting for your boys. Madden is fun for competitors and has basically taken away from chilling and watching it in real time.

i can't tell you how many times i sat there and sat..."awww...man! that sucks so bad. i didn't start him in Fantasy" or "whew! good thing i have him in Fantasy!" -- sadly, i went as far to say "go for it on 4th and 5...it'd work in Madden!" haha!

i'm retiring from Fantasy after this year and Madden might get back on my good graces if i get a PS3 (or 4...or 5)! =)

steelwall
12-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Yes I agree totally with the poster of the thread...

beSteelmyheart
12-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I agree with the poster who said it was a waste of time...
I'm a Steelers fan & enjoy keeping close track on what other teams are doing, & don't memorize all of the stats & don't have the patience for video games.
I think it's contributed to some of the players' inflated celebrity status, though, guys who act like TO & Ocho Stinko, & I bet it has added to the pressure of coaches & staff to produce, to feed that need & if they don't produce instant results, they are gone.

(Stats do come in handy when a drunken Cleveland Browns fan makes a stupid bet about who or who didn't play the Steelers in the first of our Superbowl wins. What kind of a dumbass would put money on a Steelers fan not knowing that one?)