PDA

View Full Version : Sponsor Exodus From Troubled Nascar Nation

Fire Haley
12-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Cash King Hits the Skids as Ad Dollars, Viewership Fall and Fans Stay Home

NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- Once-unstoppable Nascar is hitting a wall as its fan base erodes, race attendance declines, TV ratings slip, the auto industry implodes and economically stressed marketers slam the brakes on sponsorships.

"Just as we have transformed our company, we are transforming our marketing," said Kodak's Betty Noonan, VP-corporate marketing and branding. Kodak said it is concentrating most of its business on digital cameras, and is putting more of its sports marketing dollars into golf, whose audience demographic is far more lucrative than Nascar's.

CEO Brian France, speaking last week in New York at its big year-end promotional event, Champions Week, said Nascar won't see increased sponsorship revenue in 2009 -- a seemingly unthinkable turn of events for a sport that added $150 million in sponsorship dollars last year. "Next year, we will not obviously make that kind of a gain," he warned, then added, "The question is, are we going to back up?"

"Nobody appreciates sponsors more than us," said the VP-business development of a Nascar team who asked not to be identified. (Indeed, the sport did sign on a number of sponsors in 2008, among them Wrigley and Best Buy.) "But you look around as you're trying to form partnerships, and you look at who's leaving, and it's just disheartening."

It's not only sponsors that are abandoning Nascar; fans are too. This is the third consecutive season it has suffered from declining TV ratings and third straight year track attendance has fallen -- down some 9% from last season.

http://adage.com/article?article_id=133070#correct

---------------------------

Time to sell off my car collection before the bottom drops out?

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/PICT0910.jpg

revefsreleets
12-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Dump Dewalt. Invest heavily in Dupont.

"Plastics, my boy!"

Fire Haley
12-10-2008, 09:51 AM
I'd rather swallow a gallon of rusty nails.

PisnNapalm
12-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Why sell the cars? Surely you're not going to get any where near what you piad for them. Keep them and enjoy them.

revefsreleets
12-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Spike's being facetious...and I'm just joshing him.

Fire Haley
12-11-2008, 09:45 AM
I blame Brian France and the COT crap.

The racing just isn't the same.

TackleMeBen
12-12-2008, 08:58 AM
I blame Brian France and the COT crap.

The racing just isn't the same.
i think you hit the nail on the head. since this new COT the racing has been boring. i use to could put on golf if i wanted to fall asleep, now i just have to watch a nascar race. i mean even the good race tracks are now boring. dega and daytona you have the big one... not this past year.. and bristol and richmond were even boring. and getting a ticket to bristol is usually impossible.

revefsreleets
12-12-2008, 09:42 AM
COT is part of it. They have also sanitized the racing too much (Lucky dog, below the line, etc...) and taken the fun out of it by trying to tame the drivers too much. That's why I still like Tony Stewart and Kevin Harvick. They are the only two guys who don't act like corporate automatons...

Fire Haley
12-12-2008, 09:58 AM
They got what they wanted with the COT - an IROC series, with ugly cars that can't pass and half the races turn into fuel mileage runs.

And they wonder why fans are losing interest.

drizze99
12-12-2008, 10:16 AM
I could care less about this.... I never viewed NASCAR as "racing". Definitely the most boring motorsport we have in this country.

Fire Haley
12-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Blow it out your ear - nobody asked you.

revefsreleets
12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
It is interesting...every time there is a NASCAR thread, there always has to be somebody who pops in to thrall us with their opinion as to how much they hate it.

Fire Haley
12-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Every time.

Let them go play with their soccer balls if they's so askeered of fast cars, that's what I say.

Fire Haley
12-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Labonte and Petty part ways

Shoulda went to the 4th RCR car when he had the chance, now he's outside-looking-in.

From Jayski:

Labonte and Petty part ways: Bobby Labonte and Petty Enterprises have reached a mutual agreement to separate, the team confirmed on Thursday. The 2000 Sprint Cup champion signed a four-year extension with partial ownership to remain in the famed #43 car that Richard Petty drove to seven titles earlier this season when Boston Ventures purchased majority interest in NASCAR's most storied organization. But with the car unsponsored -- General Mills is moving to [#33 Clint Bowyer] Richard Childress Racing in 2009 -- and the future of the organization in doubt he has opted to seek employment elsewhere. A possible scenario for Labonte could be the new Earnhardt-Ganassi team that has an open spot in the #41 Target car. Sources said the organization has had informal discussions with Labonte and would be interested if he were available, although his car number may not be the #41. Labonte, in a prepared statement, said only that he did not have a contract for 2009 and that he was ready to explore all options.

"In over 15 years of racing in the Sprint Cup Series, I can't remember a time when the sport's landscape looks as it does today,'' he said. "Saying that, Petty Enterprises and I had serious and very sincere discussions about what was best for myself and everyone involved at Petty Enterprises moving forward. These discussions culminated with us agreeing that moving in a separate direction will be the greatest way to reach our end goals. It was by no means an easy decision. I am, and will always be, very appreciative of what Richard Petty and the Petty family, every employee of Petty Enterprises and members of Boston Ventures did to invest in bettering my career the past three seasons.''

Pretty soon there will be only 3 teams running everything, sad, really.

TackleMeBen
12-12-2008, 06:57 PM
and to think that nascar was having a fit about roush owning 5 cars.... they may be luckly to field 43 cars this upcoming season. thanks brian france for the wonderful job you have done in RUINING nascar

Fire Haley
12-16-2008, 02:03 PM
and to think that nascar was having a fit about roush owning 5 cars.... they may be luckly to field 43 cars this upcoming season. thanks brian france for the wonderful job you have done in RUINING nascar

That's affirmative.

I'm not a nascar fan, I'm a Matt Kenseth fan.

NASCAR mostly brought it on themselves by betraying their core fan base,along with bowing to big business sponsors. Also, NASCAR has gone too Hollywood,and made the racing secondary.

Yep. You can't just put crap on a plate and expect everyone to eat it up.

I know that this year, I missed quite a few more races than in years past. These were generally uncompetetive, run away races.

The other thing that bothered me a lot this year was the amount of fuel mileage races. Perhaps it is due to the reduction of the fuel cell from 22 to 18 gallons, but it seemed to me that at the end of every race, all we heard was "save fuel, save fuel."

Did anyone else get tired of this? I know that the NASCAR.com guys seem to eat up the fuel mileage stuff, but I'd rather see guys driving their hearts out (ala Dover in the Fall) than sitting there, waiting for them to run out of gas.

I can run my own car out of gas, I can't drive my own car at 190 door to door with 2 other cars ready to pass. That's entertainment.

mcort8173
12-16-2008, 02:10 PM
whats up guys im new on here. but i use to go to 4 or more races a year. and im only doing 2 next year. im going to them because i dont pay and im with my family. my father-in-law pays. nascar fell to the back burner for me.

Fire Haley
12-16-2008, 02:21 PM
I can make it to Atlanta and Talladega in 4-5 hrs, Daytona is a little longer.

If they want my money - they need a better product or I'll take my entertainment funds and save it for another football game.

mcort8173
12-16-2008, 02:26 PM
i can make it to dover in 3 hrs. and to martisville in 4. i like bristol martinsville and dover. they where the best races . the other seemed boring.

revefsreleets
12-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't go at all, and, to be honest, the only race I watched from start to finish was Daytona.

It's pretty safe to say they lost me, for the most part.

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 10:01 AM
It's not only sponsors that are abandoning Nascar; fans are too. This is the third consecutive season it has suffered from declining TV ratings and third straight year track attendance has fallen -- down some 9% from last season.

http://adage.com/article?article_id=133070#correct

theres more to this than just the economy. what has happened in the past 3 years?

rusty wallace, the coolest cat to ever grip the wheel, retired.

jimmie johnson. if watching him win dont turn off the fans, nothing will.

thats ok. nobody will watch him win his 4th straight championship and then his fan can claim he's equal to or better than jeffy. that'll be slightly amusing. :yawn:

revefsreleets
01-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Incidentally, the tally of Cups Jeff would have won under the old rules is now up to 6.

Is it coincidental that the fans starting turning away right about the time they started the Chase? I don't know...

Fire Haley
01-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Matt ruined it for everyone when he won The Cup in the old format and they had to change the sport to keep him down.

Oh yeah - we got a new crew chief, finally. woo-hoo!
Chip sucked.

Blickensderfer named new crew chief for 17 team

Roush Fenway’s Drew Blickensderfer, who guided Matt Kenseth to one Nationwide series victory in 2008 before moving over to a very successful stint with Carl Edwards’ #60 Nationwide team, has been named crew chief for the #17 DeWALT Sprint Cup series team beginning with the 2009 season. Chip Bolin, who spent 2008 atop the #17 pit box, will return to his engineering position with the DeWALT team. As previously announced, former #17 team spotter Mike Calinoff will return to that post beginning in 2009.

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Incidentally, the tally of Cups Jeff would have won under the old rules is now up to 6.

Is it coincidental that the fans starting turning away right about the time they started the Chase? I don't know...
nah, it has more to do with rusty retiring and jj being a pud. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
01-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I never get tired of seeing Rusty's kid hitting the wall.

Now that's entertainment.

TackleMeBen
01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
has anyone else heard that nascar expects to only have 35 cars on the track for some of the races this year?

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 10:30 AM
i wish penske would forget about putting stremme in the #12 and grab elliot saddler.

stremme is a stiff who will probably never win in cup, and saddler has good marketability.

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I never get tired of seeing Rusty's kid hitting the wall.

Now that's entertainment.a driver with turrets syndrome is kind of a scary thing. i cant wait til he makes the jump to the big leagues.

TackleMeBen
01-07-2009, 10:33 AM
i wish penske would forget about putting stremme in the #12 and grab elliot saddler.

stremme is a stiff who will probably never win in cup, and saddler has good marketability.
i tend to agree with you about stremme. he does well in the nationwide series, but when he comes to the cup level he tends to back off.

have you heard that saddler is going to sue b/c his contract wasnt up and the new owner just put a.j. into his ride.

Fire Haley
01-07-2009, 10:52 AM
has anyone else heard that nascar expects to only have 35 cars on the track for some of the races this year?

I heard something about that for the Nationwide series - not Cup

TackleMeBen
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
oh ok. i am sure it probably is going to be tough for the cup series as well.

revefsreleets
01-07-2009, 02:49 PM
They had trouble fiedling 43 for a few races last year. It'll be worse this year. In fact, Daytona may be the only race where they run a full field of cars.

Fire Haley
01-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Daytona tailgate?

revefsreleets
01-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Man, I would LOVE that! I still feel like an idiot for living in Orlando all those years and never making the drive across...

TackleMeBen
01-08-2009, 09:48 AM
daytona is fun, but if you want to see some wild stuff go to talladega.

Fire Haley
01-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Daytona 500 - 15 Feb.