PDA

View Full Version : When the Bus retires

TexaSteeler
12-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Pondering our running game recently, I thought of a couple of ideas for a replacement for Bettis once he retires. That is if Duce never pans out.

I'm believing that like Denver our running game is more of a system that requires a certain type of back, the big kind. Jerome's great footwork made it that much more effective.

So on Monday night a couple of big backs with potential came to mind.

Anthony Thomas - Saints; showed some good years with the bears 2 years ago, not sure why he got cut (by the Cowboys too)

TJ Duckett - Falcons; won't be the premier back with Dunn around.

What do you think?

Any other ideas?

Koopa
12-14-2005, 05:53 PM
yeah i was thinking about duckett too monday, he's in his fourth year, and if we can get him he can help this team a lot and he can have a good career with us. a-train he got cut by the cowboys cause they have julius, barber, and thompson so there was no need for him there. i think he's probably just be a back up now i don't know why i just have a feeling isn't starting material anymore.

SteelR1
12-14-2005, 05:59 PM
It'll will certainly be interesting what Cowher does when the BUS retires. I'm just glad I'm the spectactor, not the coach. Very tough decision to make!!!

I'm sure he'll find somebody or rearrange something, but nobody will ever REPLACE the BUS!!!!!!!!

Prosdo
12-14-2005, 06:20 PM
The idea of Larry Johnson has been thrown around here a bit or maybe drafting LenDale White.

Here's a list of upcoming free agents RBs.

http://www.theredzone.org/2006/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=RB

tony hipchest
12-14-2005, 06:24 PM
can we get eddie george out of retirement?

we struck gold when we traded for a future hof'er. he was looked at as a premier back after his rookie season. i think the equivalent today would be trading for larry johnson. there really isnt no answer out there for replacing him and the steelers should be happy they had 2 elite backs in their history in franco and jerome.

right now i can only think of walter, and sayers
emmitt and dorsett
and maybe o.j. and thurman thomas

barring injuries i still see alot of upside with w. parker. he is very raw and looks like hes still struggling slowing down and waiting for his blocks to develop. he didnt play a full college carreer like many backs you see though. hes still gaining experience. i bet he'd look like clinton portis in denver.

Sharkissle29
12-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Pondering our running game recently, I thought of a couple of ideas for a replacement for Bettis once he retires. That is if Duce never pans out.

I'm believing that like Denver our running game is more of a system that requires a certain type of back, the big kind. Jerome's great footwork made it that much more effective.

So on Monday night a couple of big backs with potential came to mind.

Anthony Thomas - Saints; showed some good years with the bears 2 years ago, not sure why he got cut (by the Cowboys too)

TJ Duckett - Falcons; won't be the premier back with Dunn around.

What do you think?

Any other ideas?
seems like duckett is just a dud in the NFL...to slow

clevestinks
12-14-2005, 06:25 PM
I just cant think about Da Bus retiring right now. First SF goes down for 24 hours, now talk of the Bus leaving. How much do you think I can handle in a day?? LOL

Sharkissle29
12-14-2005, 06:29 PM
The idea of Larry Johnson has been thrown around here a bit or maybe drafting LenDale White.

after looking at that list...here are some guys i think would be good in our system. (in order)
1. Ahman Green
2. Jamal Lewis
3. Lamar Gordon
4. Travis Minor

anyone?

tony hipchest
12-14-2005, 06:34 PM
1.w. parker has more upside
2. ravens would slap him with the franchise tag and bench him before theyd let him be a steeler
3. duce or haynes is better
4. see #3

Sharkissle29
12-14-2005, 06:42 PM
1.w. parker has more upside
2. ravens would slap him with the franchise tag and bench him before theyd let him be a steeler
3. duce or haynes is better
4. see #3
haynes is garbage....duce cant stay healthy, ahman green is "the running back that will fit this team (for all you willie parker haters)" 3 and 4 are better than haynes/duce, but are nothing special. threw them in to make a list

clevestinks
12-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Green fumbles way to much, I would be real surprised if Cowher would put up with that!

Dook
12-14-2005, 08:13 PM
When "A Train" Anthony Thomas was let go by Dallas I posted it on another Steelers forum. Nobody seemed very interested even though he had a 1,000 yard season with the Bears a few years ago. Not sure if the Saints will release him or not.

I think we should cut Duce outright and use our first draft pick to get RB Lendale White of USC. He's big, 6'-2'' and 235, the biggest in the draft and from all the mock drafts I've seen only 2 other teams (Jets and 49'ers, some have Minnesota taking one) take RB's. So I think there is a very good chance that Lendale White will be available.

I think there is another scenario, less likely though. We could trade Duce to SF (they need an RB bad) for their 2nd round draft pick. They could use their first pick to still get Reggie Bush if they want. I'd bet SF would only give up their 3rd round pick for him though, I wouldn't take it.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Can anyone give me any evidence why Larry Johnson will not be a Chief next year...
Why would they let him go.....Holmes is done........hes doing great there??????

tony hipchest
12-14-2005, 09:31 PM
i think l. johnson is pretty much a pipe dream cause many thought the steelers shouldve tAKen him when t. polamalu was drafted. running backs are a dime a dozen. just ask any denver rb, w. parker, or p. holmes. players like polamalu are not though.

TexaSteeler
12-14-2005, 09:42 PM
When "A Train" Anthony Thomas was let go by Dallas I posted it on another Steelers forum. Nobody seemed very interested even though he had a 1,000 yard season with the Bears a few years ago. Not sure if the Saints will release him or not.

I think the A-train could be obtained for an easy price. Some backs excel running down hill and I think he would. He can actually still turn a corner too.

Larry Johnson type backs don't seem to fit in. Barry Foster, Bam Morris, Jerome Bettis... there's no B in his name (and they're usually bigger). He'd definitely be worth a look.

Have they called Holmes injury career ending?

TexaSteeler
12-14-2005, 09:48 PM

Guys worth a try:
Ron Dayne (doing well in Denver this year) - interesting, 5 fumbles in 617 carries
A-train
Edge - pipe dream
Jamaal Lewis - Rooney veto

stand undefeated
12-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Personally Duckett would be NICE... sheeeeit.

Prosdo
12-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Can anyone give me any evidence why Larry Johnson will not be a Chief next year...
Why would they let him go.....Holmes is done........hes doing great there??????

A few stories about him not being happy in KC a little bit ago.

BigDude66687
12-14-2005, 10:34 PM
I'd love to get Johnson but KC wont give him
Duckett would be a good acquisiton
What about Ron Dayne??
Or in the Draft:
LENDALE WHITE would be amazing in the steelrs
or that 6'3" back from somehwere would be another intring prospect :)
But Parker is good when he has a hole to run through

LondonSteeler
12-15-2005, 12:21 AM
am i the only one who thinks larry johnson is a 'good' back playing behind the best line in the league?, which makes him seem all pro, every time ive seen a chiefs game this year, hes not even touched until 3 yards past the LOS...

edge, green & lewis will never happen, whereas duckett or anthony thomas could be usefull and cheap, id love lendale white, 21 TDs this year, doubt he gets to 32nd spot in the draft though! haha

BB2W
12-15-2005, 12:34 AM
The last month I have been thinking about Najeh Davenport coming to Pittsburgh... he is a free agent, along with Green, and with the emergence of Samkon Gado they might let him go, he is coming off an injury, but...

Then I heard the story about him breaking into an apartment and taking a deuce in a womans closet. :laughing:

link-----> http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0708/1403417.html

LondonSteeler
12-15-2005, 12:50 AM
The last month I have been thinking about Najeh Davenport coming to Pittsburgh... he is a free agent, along with Green, and with the emergence of Samkon Gado they might let him go, he is coming off an injury, but...

Then I heard the story about him breaking into an apartment and taking a deuce in a womans closet. :laughing:

link-----> http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0708/1403417.html

yea, great shout, a player with alot of potential, downhill runner, who hasnt been used as a workhorse, and cheap!
as for him taking a squat :grin: how could anyone forget that lol

SteelerFanInATL
12-15-2005, 07:17 AM
I just cant think about Da Bus retiring right now. First SF goes down for 24 hours, now talk of the Bus leaving. How much do you think I can handle in a day?? LOL

I agree, lets at least wait till the end of the season. Although being here in ATL I have seen TJ run and he is a monster. He is probably just as strong or stronger than Bettis and
also younger. The Bus is not that fast. Remember he did caught from behind against the Bears. I think he would be a great fit with us.

bangpow
12-15-2005, 08:15 AM
Ron Dayne (doing well in Denver this year) - interesting, 5 fumbles in 617 carries

I was waiting to see if anyone was going to sugggest Dayne. I think Dayne would be a PERFECT fit in the Steelers system. Plus, he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear on the body.

SalukiSteelers
12-15-2005, 09:31 AM
I don't know about Dayne. For as big as he is, he has a reputation as a guy that likes to avoid contact.

Davenport seems like Duce, and I'm not talking about throwing one.

Too bad Alexander is having an MVP season in Seattle. After all the "franchise" tagging he's gone through, he might feel a little frustration. If he hits the market he's going to command big dollars.

Same for the Edge but I think that he would be a great fit for Pittsburgh. The guy just seems to make great yards after contact and he's always moving his feet. Plus, he's a great receiver out of the backfield. But again it comes down to cost.

LJ has to get re-signed in KC. Holmes says he's coming back but who knows?

TJ Duckett might be a possibility but I would hate for the Steelers to overpay for the guy.

Looking at the RB situation for next season worries me a little but I have to think that the Steelers are going to air it out more in '06.

If White is available he seems like the guy but I'm not sure where the 'Do or any other "draft experts" have him slotted.

Nobody on the FA list seems like all that great of a deal since the best backs are going to command huge contracts and I'm sure that Pittsburgh's tap-dancing around consistent carries for one feature back would influence decisions.

As far as Thomas goes, there has to be a reason why he can't stick with one team and I wonder what it is.

PS - I'm glad this site was down for a day or two since I had three finals this week. If it would have been up I'm sure I would have spent more time here than studying Victorian literature.

Eztarget
12-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Edgrin James is a HUGE name on that list. Signing him away from the Superbowl Champs would be nice and deal a nice blow the Colts.

rowedf
12-15-2005, 10:08 AM
I speculated J. Lewis a while back...the reasons why.

Baltimore has already stated they do not have an interest in re-signing him. Also, people are calling the Rooney veto card on this one and I just don't see it. The guy has been a class act in the NFL, he gets a ton of bad publicity over a bad decision he made in college, what four years ago?? He has a good repuation in the locker, community, etc.....I think taht's enough for the Rooney's to at least consider. It's impossible to deny that he fits our system perfectly, with Lewis and Parker, I think you'd have a lethal one two punch, restructure Deuce to be the primary 3rd down back and I think your backfield is very strong.

Steel - X
12-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Jamal Lewis would be a great fit but I do not see the Ravens letting him get to the Burgh.

Ahman Green from what I have heard the injury he has had was pretty bad and I dont think there will be a lot of action on him come next season. Maybe he is a possibilty to get him cheap for basically a crap shoot.

Najeh Davenport would be my choice but if Green is gone from GB he will be going back. One of these 3 guys would fit well with the Steelers.

There is no WAY LJ goes away from the Chiefs. Everyone was like why would they draft that guy so early if they had Padre? Well since Padre is so brittle they were looking for a backup plan. It maybe the system/line but everyteam that has a good running game needs to have a good system/good line. Just my .02

LondonSteeler
12-15-2005, 11:40 AM
I speculated J. Lewis a while back...the reasons why.

Baltimore has already stated they do not have an interest in re-signing him. Also, people are calling the Rooney veto card on this one and I just don't see it. The guy has been a class act in the NFL, he gets a ton of bad publicity over a bad decision he made in college, what four years ago?? He has a good repuation in the locker, community, etc.....I think taht's enough for the Rooney's to at least consider. It's impossible to deny that he fits our system perfectly, with Lewis and Parker, I think you'd have a lethal one two punch, restructure Deuce to be the primary 3rd down back and I think your backfield is very strong.

err arent we talking about the same jamal lewis who was caught with a pound of crack in his car a couple years back??

no chance in hell we pay out for lewis, green or edge, no chance in my opinion

TexaSteeler
12-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Ultimately, Jamaal Lewis, as a running back is by far the best fit.

BUT, can anyone name an instance where the Steelers signed someone that had off the field legal problems of any sort?

rowedf
12-15-2005, 12:31 PM
err arent we talking about the same jamal lewis who was caught with a pound of crack in his car a couple years back??

I don't know if your thinking of Bam Morris or not, but no, J. Lewis was never caught or accused of possesing drugs. What happened in college was he let someone use his phone, or made a phone call for someone to make a drug deal. But it was quite a few years ago.

SalukiSteelers
12-15-2005, 12:52 PM

I'm guessing that you're joking. I think that Lewis, while in college or just out, set up two dudes he knew that were drug dealers to get together and do some business. He wasn't pulling a Nate Newton but the smear is there.

As for Edge, why wouldn't the Steelers -- aside from any cap number -- pay for him to play in the 'Burgh? I think he may have had some pot issues back in the day but he looks like a great fit for the team. If Indy wins the SB maybe he's gone, maybe he stays, but if he does leave I'm gonna be pissed if the Steelers don't at least look in to it. I'm not saying break the bank, but he's definitely worth a look.

LondonSteeler
12-15-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm guessing that you're joking. I think that Lewis, while in college or just out, set up two dudes he knew that were drug dealers to get together and do some business. He wasn't pulling a Nate Newton but the smear is there.

As for Edge, why wouldn't the Steelers -- aside from any cap number -- pay for him to play in the 'Burgh? I think he may have had some pot issues back in the day but he looks like a great fit for the team. If Indy wins the SB maybe he's gone, maybe he stays, but if he does leave I'm gonna be pissed if the Steelers don't at least look in to it. I'm not saying break the bank, but he's definitely worth a look.

hi rowedf, i swear i could remember lewis being pulled over with crack in his car, i cant find anything on it, i must have mixed it up with his drug/ jail sentence he faced :smile:

with edge and others, its strictly the cap, name me one big ticket free agent we've brought in the past 5 years, other than lock up our own, we dont play the free agent game and we certainly wont be giving edge his 15+million siging bonus hes wanting.
its fun to speculate, but we dont go after big ticket free agents, bottom line.

clevestinks
12-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Sounds like Bam, wanst he with another NFL player??

rowedf
12-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Actually he was doing it for his cousin, Tamerick Vanover.

SteelerFanInCA
12-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Jamal Lewis would look sweet in the black & gold. He's only 26 and probably still has quite a bit of milage left on him.

Ambridge
12-15-2005, 05:14 PM
I think there is another scenario, less likely though. We could trade Duce to SF (they need an RB bad) for their 2nd round draft pick. They could use their first pick to still get Reggie Bush if they want. I'd bet SF would only give up their 3rd round pick for him though, I wouldn't take it.

I think the Steelers would be lucky if they could get a 4th round pick for Duce considering his injury proneness.

Larry Johnson said on Sirius NFL Radio this past Tuesday the only way he would want out of KC is if he had to play behind Priest Holmes again and I wouldn't count on that happening because it sounds like Priest's career is probably over.

CASTEEL
12-15-2005, 05:35 PM
I am one who somewhat agrees with the Jemal Lewis talk. Aside from this season, which he hasn't had any help with from the ratbirds o-line or anything else on that team, he's been quite an amazing RB. What he did in college was stupid, but at least he didn't try to kill anyone.....
I think he would fit nicely into the Steelers system......

....but then again, I'm not a coach or anything else other than a fan...... :smile:

In any case, I absolutley hate the thought of Jermome leaving. It just plain SUCKS. :crying01:

GO STEELERS!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-15-2005, 05:51 PM
i agree with the site being down.
today was my last final..gave me extra study time...

clevestinks
12-15-2005, 06:44 PM
There is no way Lewis will ever be a Steeler. Mr. Art Rooney would roll over in his coffin. We don`t need criminals

BigDude66687
12-15-2005, 09:02 PM
, id love lendale white, 21 TDs this year, doubt he gets to 32nd spot in the draft though! haha[/QUOTE]

we could always trade like we did to get polamulu, another USC playa another trade up situation?

Sharkissle29
12-16-2005, 01:39 PM
i dont like all this talk on running backs, we have a possible star in the making, its just gonna take some time and experience.

have faith in willie

clevestinks
12-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Its not just a matter of faith. We need some good depth. Staley is rarely healthy, and the Bus is more than likely done. Also a descision needs to be made with Haynes, and his contract coming up!

Prosdo
12-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Its not just a matter of faith. We need some good depth. Staley is rarely healthy, and the Bus is more than likely done. Also a descision needs to be made with Haynes, and his contract coming up!

I agree completely. This year we have a very crowded backfield, but next year we probably won't. As Cleve said Bettis is likely to retire and it always seems that Duce is banged up. Haynes has shown some good spots, but I'm not fully sold on him. I think with some more experience Willie can be a very good back, but I would like to have a power running back to compliment him. I think us drafting a guy like LenDale White could do this or we go the free agency route.