PDA

View Full Version : I's a shameful deal

mesaSteeler
12-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Is it an act of treason for Ravens fans to sell tickets to Steelers fans in these tough economic times?
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-faceoff1210,0,6574339.column
Faceoff

It's a shameful deal

By Bill Ordine

What could be more disturbing than to see M&T Bank Stadium, a place that should be a purple purgatory for visiting football teams, speckled with fluttering yellow Terrible Towels?

Did I say disturbing? I meant disgusting.

And yet, we have seen it far too often. Pittsburgh Steelers fans, rabid as any in the NFL, troll the Internet snapping up loose tickets to away games, and road trips to Baltimore are especially targeted.

When those tickets come from brokers who own the season tickets, it might be understandable that a few stray Ravens ducats wind up in Steelers hands. But what is unconscionable is when Ravens fans put up their own tickets for resale without regard to who winds up in the seats.

We all realize these are dire economic times. And it's a time of year when money is tight for many, so that heightens the temptation to traffic with the free-spending enemy.

But, folks, selling Ravens tickets to Steelers fans - especially for this game, perhaps the most important regular-season game in franchise history - is fan treason. Can you imagine a Green Bay Packers fan selling Lambeau Field tickets to a Chicago Bears fan or a Philadelphia Eagles fan selling Lincoln Financial Field tickets to a Dallas Cowboys fan?

Tom Paine talked of "summer soldiers" and "sunshine patriots." Yes, these are trying economic times, and a quick survey of StubHub shows nonclub-level tickets for resale at $150 to $450 apiece. That buys a lot of Guitar Hero and cranberry sauce.

But if that's what Ravens fans have to do, then they must make sure that those tickets wind up with someone wearing purple.

Cut them some slack

By Childs Walker

I'm as big a proponent of hometown loyalty as the next chap, but I can't muster any outrage at Ravens ticket holders who are flipping their ducats to Steelers fans for tidy profits.

Look, the economy is bad, worse than it has ever been in my lifetime. And the holidays, with all their gifting obligations, are upon us. So if mom and dad are strapped enough that mortgage payments are tough, and they want to sell their tickets so junior can have his Wii, who am I to wag my finger?

I might be exaggerating by planting images of Tiny Tim, heartsick over a lack of Guitar Hero, in a discussion about football loyalties. But these are unusual times. With jobs vanishing and savings funds evaporating, people have to think about new revenue streams to maintain the status quo at home.

And if you want to blame anyone for making tickets seem more like commodities than little bundles of hometown spirit, blame the teams. They're the ones who created permanent seat licenses, which are essentially long-term investments in a relationship with the local team. If the Ravens are asking fans to make such investments, shouldn't PSLs be thought of as just that - investments?

Many people already think of them as such, and there are elaborate markets for said licenses, which have proved to be great investments (better than financial stocks, certainly).

Anyway, my point is that teams have trained fans to think of their tickets as stocks. So when folks sell them for profit, they're logically participating in the American free market. No scolding necessary.

But a piece of advice to any of you sellers out there - don't mention your profiteering to the neighbor in the Ray Lewis jersey. It is the Steelers, after all.

fansince'76
12-10-2008, 06:24 AM
But, folks, selling Ravens tickets to Steelers fans - especially for this game, perhaps the most important regular-season game in franchise history - is fan treason.

Melodrama, anyone? Christ.

Burghfan58
12-10-2008, 06:51 AM
It's a rough economy. If a rats fan needs money a Steeler fan will be more than willing to help him out.:tt03:

HometownGal
12-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Personally, I think Rats fans would rather watch the Steelers kick the Rats asses on Sunday from their living rooms. That way, they don't have to wait in restroom lines when it comes time to soak their heads after the game. :tt03::tt02::applaudit: