PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Berger to keep punting job despite bad day

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Steelers Notebook: Berger to keep punting job despite bad day
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Marvel Smith will miss his ninth consecutive game and Mitch Berger will keep his job as the team's punter.

That and the possible return of defensive end Brett Keisel highlighted the news from Mike Tomlin's news conference yesterday.

Of course, Smith missing a game is nothing new. He has had back issues for more than two months. The surprise is they keep holding a roster spot for him. Max Starks will make his ninth consecutive start at offensive left tackle in place of Smith.

Berger has been terrible this season, particularly so Sunday against Dallas when he averaged just 32.8 gross yards on six punts. In his two stints with the Steelers this season, Berger has averaged 40.6 yards gross and 37.6 net. His net ranks 19th in the NFL and is still better than the punter who replaced him earlier, Paul Ernster; he had a 31.6 gross average, 31.3 net.

Tomlin blamed the wind for Berger's bad day Sunday.

"Hopefully, the weather conditions won't be as bad as they were last Sunday, but they probably will. The good thing about it from Sunday's standpoint was that their punter struggled when he punted in that direction as well."

Keisel has missed two games with a sprained left MCL but might "participate" this week. Travis Kirschke has done well as his replacement at defensive right end.

"Travis is doing a heck of a job for us," Tomlin said. "This isn't his first stint. Brett's been down before, and he's stepped in and played quality ball for us in the first part of the year along with Chris Hoke and some other guys."

A thumbs-up
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger grabbed his left hand in pain after he lost a fumble on a sneak in the game against Dallas Sunday. Roethlisberger previously announced that a ligament in his left thumb was damaged earlier this season and he needed to wear a brace.

"No issue with his thumb whatsoever," Tomlin explained yesterday.

Pleasant dilemma
Cornerback Bryant McFadden played in some nickel and dime defenses in his first game back after missing six with a broken forearm.

The question now is whether he will regain his starting job at left cornerback from William Gay, who has started four games there. Even though Gay began the season as the No. 4 cornerback, he is tied for the team lead with Ike Taylor with 11 passes defensed.

"I thought he did a nice job," Tomlin said of McFadden's play against the Cowboys. "He knocked the rust off rather quickly. It looked like he was decisive. He moved around fluidly. He made the plays that he needed to make.

"But I think William Gay is continuing to play well. Those are good problems to have. We're going to address those as the week unfolds, but we feel good with either one of those guys or both of those guys on the field for us."

Kings of the road
The Steelers are 5-1 on the road, their only loss at Philadelphia. They are 5-2 at home and play two on the road before they finish at Heinz Field.

"I know it's one of the things we talked about in the offseason," Tomlin said. "If we wanted to be one of those kind of teams that are vying for the Lombardi [Trophy], we had to be capable of winning in all environments, different circumstances, game times, etc.

"I did point out and acknowledge to the group that last year's Super Bowl champions, the [New York] Giants, were 7-1 on the road in '07. I just think that's a sign of great teams. Great teams are capable of winning in hostile environments. But in terms of what we're doing to prepare, how we're preparing, nothing has changed."

Looking ahead
The Steelers will clinch the AFC North Division with a victory in Baltimore and virtually assure themselves of the No. 2 playoff seed in the conference. They can lose and would still win the division and earn the No. 2 seed with victories in their final two games

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08345/934022-66.stm

tyler289
12-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Berger > Ernester. I'm just happy Ernester is gone. As long as Berger gets 40 yards a punt this year, I'll be happy.

Fire Haley
12-10-2008, 09:47 AM
One of these days our punting will lose us a game, mark my words.

I blame Berger's noodle leg.

HometownGal
12-10-2008, 09:51 AM
I always wondered why the Steelers didn't re-sign Chris "The Finger" for this season instead of Berger. Oh well - it is what it is and no one will be happier to see Sep back next season than me (for a whole LOT of reasons!).

I do believe the wind definitely played a factor in the kicking/punting game last Sunday. I live 7 miles south of the Burgh and the wind was atrocious that entire day and evening. I'm sure Jeff Reed could corroborate my opinion on that, as well.

steelreserve
12-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Before he got injured, Berger was doing a decent job, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope it was just one bad game. Next year we shouldn't have these problems.

Glace
12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Lets not forget that Berger's one crappy punt was basically a long completion to us because Dallas got down there before further than the ball!!!

We can't count on idiots every week, but it was nice!

cubanstogie
12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Before he got injured, Berger was doing a decent job, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope it was just one bad game. Next year we shouldn't have these problems.

I will give him another chance, Dallas' kicker didn't fare well kicking into wind either.

steelreserve
12-10-2008, 11:15 AM
It also helps that the last guy was so bad, it's almost impossible for Berger not to look better by comparison. I mean, Ernster had a day like that EVERY game, whether there was wind or not.

fansince'76
12-10-2008, 11:29 AM
It also helps that the last guy was so bad, it's almost impossible for Berger not to look better by comparison. I mean, Ernster had a day like that EVERY game, whether there was wind or not.

Agreed. Just think how short the punts would have been if Ernster would have been kicking them. :horror:

steelreserve
12-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Agreed. Just think how short the punts would have been if Ernster would have been kicking them. :horror:

The way he was kicking, some of them probably would have gone backwards.

If that happens, does it count as a block? and who gets credit for it? The wind?

lilyoder6
12-10-2008, 11:38 AM
maybe we should just put reed back there and se what he can do... dan dan dan, y did u have 2 tear ur acl?

Phade
12-10-2008, 03:23 PM
bergers 20 yard punt actually helped us one time..

CanadianSteel
12-10-2008, 08:30 PM
The Dallas punter had one bad punt into the wind, but Bergers were all brutal....
I agree this could cost us a game one day and just hope its not in the playoffs.
Watch Bereger punt and he does not "drive" into the bal like other punters he just sorta "pooches it"

shovelnose
12-10-2008, 08:34 PM
The Dallas punter had one bad punt into the wind, but Bergers were all brutal....
I agree this could cost us a game one day and just hope its not in the playoffs.
Watch Bereger punt and he does not "drive" into the bal like other punters he just sorta "pooches it"

To his defense, I think his hamstring is still acting up.

SteelersHoss
12-10-2008, 08:39 PM
My wife complains when Berger punts. My Wife, she doesn't know a lot about football, but she knows when that shitty punter is about to kick the ball.....

steeltheone
12-10-2008, 08:56 PM
My question is, why not try guys out. This is a very important part of the game, just to call a guy up with a bad hammy.

Hines0wnz
12-11-2008, 01:03 AM
One of these days our punting will lose us a game, mark my words.

I blame Berger's noodle leg.

Dont remember the Harrison bad snap a couple months ago?

Fire Haley
12-11-2008, 06:11 AM
Dont remember the Harrison bad snap a couple months ago?

A bad snap that had NOTHING to with a punter - and it DIDN'T cause us to lose that Colts game. You can blame our brain-damaged QB and his 3 INT's for that one.