PDA

View Full Version : Please cover Derrick Mason

conservativesteelers
12-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Why doesnt' anyone ever cover this guy? It's not like he is catching balls with defenders standing right next to him.

He is always WIDE open. Is he really that good? It seems like the Steelers always leave him open for 5-10 catches per game.

Burghfan58
12-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Agreed. He's having a great season and is Flaccos favorite target. I'm sure the Steelers are aware of that. They just need to make plays.

Steel_Bus_24
12-10-2008, 09:40 AM
I think they approach Balt differently then other teams, and they sellout against the run a lot.....leaving Mason to run around

Anyone remember that 05 MNF where we couldn't get to anthony wright all night it seemed like...Expect the same type of game from the rats.

Lots of Max protect and Shotgun Draws on 3rd and manageable to take advantage of our 2 D-line Nickle...

Whoever is the most successful on 1st down will most likely win.....because both Ds are terrors on obvious passing downs

The Duke
12-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Other than him and clayton the ratbirds have nothing at receiver. Todd heap is good but he either isn't used much or has lost a step

If ike can cover Moss, TO, Plax, Wayne, etc, he can cover Mason. Believe me, Derrick will learn the meaning of face me ike :tt03:

as for the rest, a healthier secondary will take care of them easily. Plus, Gay is more experienced now

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Tough call. Need to cover Mason, Clayton, Heap, Williams. A lot of people think the Ravens are all defense, but Flacco has a lot of weapons to work with and a solid O line.

It all depends if Flacco is gonna play like a rookie or not.

The Duke
12-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Tough call. Need to cover Mason, Clayton, Heap, Williams. A lot of people think the Ravens are all defense, but Flacco has a lot of weapons to work with and a solid O line.

It all depends if Flacco is gonna play like a rookie or not.

Williams is on IR. Leaving them with Yamon Figurs as their 3rd receiver I believe

Once they play a real defense those receivers won't be a big factor

The ravens should get Flaco a young talented receiver next year though. They are missing that on offense

tyler289
12-10-2008, 10:49 AM
What scares me about the Ravens is that their o-line is extremely young and will continue to grow. They have a young franchise QB. They have young RBs. All they need is a young WR and their offense will be very good.

But that's the future.

On Sunday, I expect the Steelers defense to play better than the first time. They have more tape on Flacco now and are a little healthier.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Willis McGahee is on the downhill side of his carreer, Ray Rice is a great young back, but has a lot of miles on him from Rutgers.

You are absolutely right though about everything else. Especially that young line of Grubbs, Yanda, Gathier, etc.

steelreserve
12-10-2008, 11:00 AM
He had a good game last time, but I'm also worried about Todd Heap. It seems like every time he's in the lineup against us, he has something like 50 catches for 600 yards.

Or maybe it's just a few catches, but they always seem to come at horrible times, like a 15-yard catch and run on a crappy underneath dump-off on third-and-12. I guess what really bothers me is that for some reason, we always seem to have an infuriating inability to cover big, slow tight ends.

Edman
12-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Baltimore's offense has a future, but the bread and butter of that team for years has been the defense. It's not getting any younger. And Neither is ours.

SteelCityKingsVP
12-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Dont worry about Mason. The Steelers havent allowed any wideouts to have big games so far this year let alone someone as inconsistent as Mason. He's a bum along with every other ravens player. Ike will shut him out.

conservativesteelers
12-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Dont worry about Mason. The Steelers havent allowed any wideouts to have big games so far this year let alone someone as inconsistent as Mason. He's a bum along with every other ravens player. Ike will shut him out.

ok.. we'll see, but I can tell you the Steelers never shut him out.. In fact, they hardly ever cover him.

tony hipchest
12-10-2008, 09:17 PM
mason had over 130 yds in the 1st game this year. ike only gave up 2 receptions and 19 of those yards though.

HometownGal
12-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Derrick Mason is always a very dangerous threat. The guy runs great routes, catches most everything thrown his way and does what it takes to make a play happen and then some. Whoever is covering him needs to make him hear footsteps and when given the opportunity, knock him on his hiney and put the fear of the black 'n gold into him.

GridironWarrior
12-10-2008, 09:57 PM
I thought I'd never say this, but the Ravens O is light years ahead of the Steelers.

XxKnightxX
12-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Mason runs a 4 route most of the time against the steelers. Its a 15 yd deep in if Im correct, somehow that route just kills us all the time. Hes a hell of a comeback route runner so give him some credit. Hes a great route runner, but if the D gets to Flacco its a done deal

Avoid LLoyd1975
12-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Our defense is designed to prevent the long pass plays, we will give them the underneath shiz all day long. Mason will be set back down to earth this week. Anybody got any stats on how many deep plays we have allowed thus far this season compared to any of the other NFL teams?

SunshineMan21
12-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Mason plays well against the Steelers because he has excellent hands and he might be the NFL's best route runner, which makes him the ideal receiver against our zone-blitz defense. This is especially important because we don't give up vertical passing plays, so Clayton is pretty much going to be out of the picture.

Hines0wnz
12-11-2008, 12:51 AM
I thought I'd never say this, but the Ravens O is light years ahead of the Steelers.

That's not news since many teams' O-lines are.

ShutDown24
12-11-2008, 02:16 AM
What scares me about the Ravens is that their o-line is extremely young and will continue to grow. They have a young franchise QB. They have young RBs. All they need is a young WR and their offense will be very good.

The thing is though, by then their already aging defense will be much more than just on the decline - it will be gone. So while they might gain a semi potent offense, that team is going to have to rebuild their defense. See how long it has taken them to get an offense worthy of that D? It will most likely take just as long to do vice-versa in a few years. I think we will be alright. :flap:

Mason? Put Ike on him and it's over. Leave the other 10 guys to the rest of that young offense and we're fine. I think it was already mentioned in this thread that the vast majority of Mason's production against us earlier this season came when Taylor wasn't assigned to him.

markymarc
12-11-2008, 07:29 AM
I would be disappointed if Ike does not cover Mason the whole game. Still the #1 priority will be to shut down their running game. It's very nice to have our entire secondary back healthy now.

revefsreleets
12-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Yeah, Mason was lights out in that first game, 8 catches for 137 yards. I'd say just have Ike shadow him all day. IF they do that, I expect him to have maybe 3 catches for 30 yards.

43Hitman
12-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Mason been killing us since his days in Tennessee. I agree with Rev and Marky that Ike should cover him all day. And the days of Mason beating us like drum will end.

Edman
12-11-2008, 03:18 PM
The Ravens offense is definately better than the Steelers Offense, but then, what offense isn't this year? It all traces to the coaching, and they have a better O-Line than we do.

Cam Cameron has done more with less. A testament to his prowess as a O-Coordinator. Bruce Airhead on the other hand has done less with more. With his cute little bunch formations, obsession with tight ends, and phasing out of the power running game.

markymarc
12-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Bruce Airhead on the other hand has done less with more. With his cute little bunch formations, obsession with tight ends, and phasing out of the power running game.

Statement of the year!

revefsreleets
12-12-2008, 11:08 AM
The Ravens offense is definately better than the Steelers Offense, but then, what offense isn't this year? It all traces to the coaching, and they have a better O-Line than we do.

Cam Cameron has done more with less. A testament to his prowess as a O-Coordinator. Bruce Airhead on the other hand has done less with more. With his cute little bunch formations, obsession with tight ends, and phasing out of the power running game.

That is the key statement. They have a better Oline than we do. It all starts up front.

meelanova
12-12-2008, 12:40 PM
So, Derrick = Hines, right? They both run good routes minus blazing speed. And both are seemingly always open.

conservativesteelers
12-12-2008, 03:22 PM
So, Derrick = Hines, right? They both run good routes minus blazing speed. And both are seemingly always open.

kind of.. but atleast other teams try to cover Hines, and Hines is not always wide open, he just makes tough catches

.. teams forget about Mason (even though he is Flacco's number 1 target, and has been killing the Steelers for years), and leave him WIDE open all of the time, I mean atleast 5 yards wide open.

Penn St Steelers
12-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Willis McGahee is on the downhill side of his carreer, Ray Rice is a great young back, but has a lot of miles on him from Rutgers.

McGahee and Rice are basically a no go this weekend (at least that's what all the sports radio around here is saying), and they just signed some RB from off the Dolphins pratice squad...so basically it's going to be LeRon McClain day

Edman
12-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Derrick Mason has been out of practice for two days also with a bum shoulder according to the injury report.

It's too bad, I want to beat the Rats at full strength so they don't have any excuses.

The Duke
12-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Derrick Mason has been out of practice for two days also with a bum shoulder according to the injury report.

It's too bad, I want to beat the Rats at full strength so they don't have any excuses.

He practiced today

WWIIOwheelz
12-12-2008, 07:43 PM
I have a feeling Mr Mason is going to get rocked this week. Honestly, I like the guy.... the older I get, I cheer for some of the guys closer to my own age! lol

BozMan
12-12-2008, 08:36 PM
It was very aggravating watching Mason catch all those balls on us last time around.

Mason is obviously Flacco's favorite and first target. Take him away, and he has to start looking for other options. That gives Harrison and Woodley a few more seconds to shed their blocks and put Flacco on his back.

markymarc
12-13-2008, 12:05 PM
McGahee and Rice are basically a no go this weekend (at least that's what all the sports radio around here is saying), and they just signed some RB from off the Dolphins pratice squad...so basically it's going to be LeRon McClain day

That is very interesting. No way do I see McClain running the ball on us all day. Shut down McClain and make Flacco beat you.

stlrtruck
12-13-2008, 09:26 PM
That is very interesting. No way do I see McClain running the ball on us all day. Shut down McClain and make Flacco beat you.

Yeah, but even Flacco has shown that he can handle the pressure of the game. He's done well this season. I say there are two options we need to take away from him - Mason and Heap.

Keep those two covered and then he'll have to start checking down. Then at that point he's either going to have to run, eat turf, or throw the ball away.

ben7
12-14-2008, 09:02 AM
No Michael Jackson dances today.

steelpride12
12-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Mason reminds me of Ward alot. Not the fastest, tall, or best route runner, but he always finds ways to get open and catch the tough passes.
Ike should have his hands full today.

Steelcitygal87
12-14-2008, 09:40 AM

Last week I didn't see Choice running the ball on us either, but come game time I was wrong( ended up with what, 88 yards? Most any back has had against us all season). Hopefully McClain won't have the success Choice did.

Go Steelers!!:tt03::tt03:

Steelcitygal87
12-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah, but even Flacco has shown that he can handle the pressure of the game. He's done well this season. I say there are two options we need to take away from him - Mason and Heap.

Keep those two covered and then he'll have to start checking down. Then at that point he's either going to have to run, eat turf, or throw the ball away.

I agree. Heap and Mason are the biggest threats they have on offense. Ike is going to have his hands full today. Speaking of hands...hopefully if the ball ends up in his he will actually HOLD ONTO it and make the interception. Something he has had trouble with in the past.

GO STEELERS!:tt03::helmet:

markymarc
12-14-2008, 12:29 PM

I definitely agree that we must shut down Mason. That will be Ike's job today and we now have a healthy secondary. To be honest I am not really worried about Heap. By the way you do realize when Flacco faces good defenses he has struggled big time. He only plays well when he faces inferior defenses. LeBeau has film on him now and that is not a good thing for the rookie. He will be very confused today.

conservativesteelers
12-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Thank you Steelers for COVERING Derrick Mason!!

T.Richardson
12-14-2008, 07:45 PM
He would have had a TD if he timed his jump right. But he was covered the whole game.

conservativesteelers
01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Please cover Derrick Mason AGAIN!! Don't forget about this guy. Now he seems to be talking trash.

Stover4Prez
01-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Mason is your number one threat by far. But I think Heap is still a big target for Flacco, especially as a check down guy for short yards. And a suprise to everyone, Clayton has actually turned it on at the end of the season. His catch in triple coverage against the Titans was insane. AND he got mugged on the play. I am afraid though that we will not be able to get our running game going allowing the Steelers to concentrate on the recievers thus shutting the whole O down. McClain really needs to break a couple 7-10 yard runs to free up the receivers.

LVSteelersfan
01-15-2009, 02:40 PM
If Mr. one arm beats us, then the Steelers defense is not ready to play. He needs to be jammed and jammed hard coming off the line. He won't last long if they hit him every play.

Edman
01-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Mcclain, Mason, and Heap are the true Ravens threats on offense.

McClain, as we all know, is a bruising runner that is a load to bring down, even if he is gimpy. Mason is the Ravens closest thing they have to an answer to Hines Ward. He's a wily vet who can make the tough catch. Heap is a Tight end. We all know the story there with Steelers versus Tight Ends.

None of them would be a factor though if the Steelers can get to Flacco and feed him grass.

The Duke
01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Mason is your number one threat by far. But I think Heap is still a big target for Flacco, especially as a check down guy for short yards. And a suprise to everyone, Clayton has actually turned it on at the end of the season. His catch in triple coverage against the Titans was insane. AND he got mugged on the play. I am afraid though that we will not be able to get our running game going allowing the Steelers to concentrate on the recievers thus shutting the whole O down. McClain really needs to break a couple 7-10 yard runs to free up the receivers.

Hey man, I've noticed Heap now stays blocking about 75 percent of the time

What do you think about that as a ravens fan? He certainly is a big target for a young QB, and other than mason and clayton you have no targets. Marcus smith looks lost out there.

And I've seen heap have very good games against the steelers in the past

SteelersinCA
01-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Hey man, I've noticed Heap now stays blocking about 75 percent of the time

What do you think about that as a ravens fan? He certainly is a big target for a young QB, and other than mason and clayton you have no targets. Marcus smith looks lost out there.

And I've seen heap have very good games against the steelers in the past

Heap hasn't done anything all year, I doubt they are going to roll out the play book for him now. Would you with Woodley and Harrison tracking you? I wouldn't.

The Duke
01-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Heap hasn't done anything all year, I doubt they are going to roll out the play book for him now. Would you with Woodley and Harrison tracking you? I wouldn't.

If you mean nothing in the passing game, yeah. But he is a very efficient blocker

Just wondering if the ravens fan knows if it is to help get more protection to their young QB, or heap has been on a big decline the past 2 years

I expect him to have about one catch, but it will be a valuable one, he always has those

SteelersinCA
01-15-2009, 03:36 PM
If you mean nothing in the passing game, yeah. But he is a very efficiet blocer

Just wondering if the ravens fan knows if it is to help get more protection to their young QB, or heap has been on a big decline the past 2 years

I expect him to have about one catch, but it will be a valuable one, he always has those

Yeah that's what I meant. He is a blocker now. They need him for that. He'll convert a 1st down for them at some point, beyond that, try not to hold #92 and #56 too much Todd!!!! :rofl:

CaliStillersFan
01-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Mason is very much like Hines, except for one major difference. Hines can lay someone out; his blocking skills are solid. Mason does not block like Hines.

joeyssteelcurtain
01-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Mason is very much like Hines, except for one major difference. Hines can lay someone out; his blocking skills are solid. Mason does not block like Hines.

Nobody block's like Hines

markymarc
01-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Sounds like a job for Ike!