PDA

View Full Version : Do you have that same feeling as '95?

Avoid LLoyd1975
12-10-2008, 11:04 PM
The past few weeks of dissecting our team, I have come to it that this team reminds me a heck of alot like our team from 95 that went to the bowl. Offense kind of suspect hit or miss every now like back then, but still getting it done in the 4th when needed and our defense revolving around our great linebacking corps. There are many similarities IMO, too many for me individually to list but does anyone else agree? THOUGHTS/OPINIONS?

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-11-2008, 01:39 AM
Except our QB won't throw a billion picks in the super bowl and we will win it all! :tt02:

NYC SteelersFan
12-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Offense was much better in '95, That was one of O'Donnell's best years but he shined through in the end in the Superbowl.

markymarc
12-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Both teams had great defenses, but the 95 team had a much better offense. Hopefully at the end of this season we can talk about the 08 version making it to the super bowl.

Dino 6 Rings
12-11-2008, 07:24 AM
I have that 1978 Feeling!

HometownGal
12-11-2008, 07:24 AM
I wish I could say yes, but in all honesty, I can't. While I believe this season's D is stronger and better overall than the D of 1995, I too feel that the O of '95 was much more consistent and O'Donnell had better protection from his line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Agreed, the Offense of '95 was much more productive and dynamic. Chan Gailey used to pound it with Bam Morris, but then have the ability to go 5-wide in the passing game and be productive.

LambertIsGod58
12-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Agreed, the Offense of '95 was much more productive and dynamic. Chan Gailey used to pound it with Bam Morris, but then have the ability to go 5-wide in the passing game and be productive.

great point.....

tony hipchest
12-11-2008, 08:32 AM
we had the ability to go 5 wide with kordell lined up under center. i think that year we surpassed jim kellys bills with the most productive 2 minute offense in the league.

thigpen, mills, graham, hastings, johnson, breuner, was one heck of a set of targets to throw too. add in all the miracle plays kordell threw in (remember the mad scramble at qb and td toss against the browns?)

despite rod being lost for the season, that was a very fun year.

SteelCityKingsVP
12-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Agreed, the Offense of '95 was much more productive and dynamic. Chan Gailey used to pound it with Bam Morris, but then have the ability to go 5-wide in the passing game and be productive.:blah::banging:

This years offense has way more talent than that years offense did. Who are you trying to kid?! The only problem with the offense is the oline. We fix that and we cant be stopped. Either way, the O gets it done when it counts as we saw in the cowboy game

Michael Keller
12-11-2008, 09:13 AM

EG you are absolutely , 100% correct. The 4 & 5 receivers set developed its proficiency as the season progressed. It was beautiful to watch.

I am still hoping for the smelling salt to be used in the Offensive Coordinator's office because a few additions to this offense (we all know what they are) and I sincerely believe this Steeler teams goes to the head of the class. We are one flick of the light switch away. I keep thinking it is going to happen in our next game.

I am thinking Tomlin is going to have to turn it own. I do not think Arian gets it.

revefsreleets
12-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Wow. 1995? We threw the ball 100 times more than we ran it that year, and we wnet to the Super Bowl?

Do the purists know that?

Steelerfreak58
12-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Until the offense shows some discipline and actually gets their act together we won't do well. We have struggled in games AT HOME with false starts, and delay's of game over the last few weeks that won't cut it in the playoffs if we make it in to them.

We still have to win this division something that may not be that easy against the Ravens and Titans if the Steelers offense does not get it together quickly. The Giants and Indy game may come back to haunt us.

43Hitman
12-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Until the offense shows some discipline and actually gets their act together we won't do well. We have struggled in games AT HOME with false starts, and delay's of game over the last few weeks that won't cut it in the playoffs if we make it in to them.

We still have to win this division something that may not be that easy against the Ravens and Titans if the Steelers offense does not get it together quickly. The Giants and Indy game may come back to haunt us.

We will make the playoffs no doubt. But how can the Giants game effect that? It wasn't a conference game. We've only had one loss in the AFC and that was to Indy. Indy won't win their division so they can only get a wildcard. Even if we lose all of our remaining games (which we won't, remember we get the clowns at home the last game of the season) we still would probably get the other wildcard.

scsteeler
12-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I do have a special feeling and it is that our Defense can win the remainder of the regular season games for us. Looking at this weeks game and who we have left on shcedule. Those teams defenses are the strongest part of the game just like the Steelers and with that being said I think our Defense will stand up for the challenge and do what they have done all year allow us to win. The killer for us all season has been turnovers.

In games where the offense did not play well or not at all and we had no turnovers or ones that gave up points we won those games. I have a feeling that this year is setting the Steel City to be rooting for this team in January for the Big one.

Our Biggest challenge will be the Ravens. My wish is that after we beat them they suffer a let down and lose to the Dallas Crybabies and not make the playoffs I would not want to have to beat them a 3rd time.

fordfan485
12-11-2008, 11:04 AM
I know this is a bit off topic but sort of related

Does anyone know if u can buy a dvd of every game from the 95 season or any other season for that matter? And not just highlights the full game. I was 10 years old then and remember very little except the AFC championship game and the Superbowl.

BlastFurnace
12-11-2008, 11:50 AM
The offense of 1995 was much more consistent.

The O'line was light years better. I just watched Bam Morris plow through the Indy D'Line at the end of that game to win it. Right up the gut...behind Dermonti Dawson....Oh do I miss him.

I feel we were stronger at the #3 through 5 in receivers that year. Hastings is much better than Nate as far as moving the chains and has better hands. Our WR corps of Thigpen, Mills, C. Johnson, Hastings, and Holliday was a better group.

Also, John L. Williams was a threat out of the backfield as a FB and wa a great blocker. We don't have that option in this offense.

Of course, I take Ben over Neil though. Although, I still feel Neil was a darn good QB for us.

The Defense of 2008 is better than 1995 though..overall. Dare I say it...I would rather take Harrison and Woodley over Lloyd and Greene. IMO, they are more disruptive.

BlastFurnace
12-11-2008, 11:52 AM
I know this is a bit off topic but sort of related

Does anyone know if u can buy a dvd of every game from the 95 season or any other season for that matter? And not just highlights the full game. I was 10 years old then and remember very little except the AFC championship game and the Superbowl.

If anyone responds to you...PLEASE send me an IM of who and where. I would absolutely love to get a copy of every game that year.

Edman
12-11-2008, 08:40 PM
This 2008 team has a better defense than the 1995 team and even the 1994 team, but the '95 team had a much, MUCH better offense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Wow. 1995? We threw the ball 100 times more than we ran it that year, and we wnet to the Super Bowl?

Do the purists know that?

1995 play breakdown
Rushing attempts...........494
Passing attempts...........592

But at least for the purists acceptance...we had a BIG RB. So I guess it was OK then. :chuckle:

thebus36idf
12-11-2008, 11:00 PM
:blah::banging:

This years offense has way more talent than that years offense did. Who are you trying to kid?! The only problem with the offense is the oline. We fix that and we cant be stopped. Either way, the O gets it done when it counts as we saw in the cowboy game

accept we can't convert it from the two yard line, and on short yardage like Bam could. This could be our demise, because teams know it.

augustashark
12-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Searcy, Jackson, Dawson, Stai, Strzelczyk and Newberry!

Nuff said!