PDA

View Full Version : Coach Tomlin not happy with Parker's comments

SteelersMongol
12-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin was not happy with comments made by two-time Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker, saying they could be misinterpreted as uninformed and selfish, and said he told Parker and all the players about it today in a team meeting.

"The issue for us has been, is and hopefully will continue to be winning -- that's my interpretation of Steelers football," Tomlin said. "Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

Parker said yesterday that the offense, which ranks 20th in the NFL in rushing, has gotten away from "Steelers football" and that the two-tight end offense used by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is not effective for running the ball.

Parker, who carried 12 times for 25 yards against the Dallas Cowboys, said opposing teams even know when and where the Steelers are going to run the ball.

"He needs to be a little more careful with things he says and how he says it because it can be misinterpreted as uninformed or selfish, of which he is neither," Tomlin said.

Asked how the two-tight end offense, which rarely employs a fullback, is performing, Tomlin said, "It was working pretty good last year when he was leading the league in rushing before he was hurt. It's not working as well right now. But we're in a better position than we were a year ago."

Parker was leading the NFL in rushing with 1,316 yards last season when he broke his leg in Week 15 in St. Louis. He also began this season with back-to-back 100-yard rushing performances before spraining the medial collateral ligament in his left knee in Week 3 in Philadelphia -- an injury that caused him to miss four games and still limits his effectiveness.

"Do we need to get better in terms of running the football? Absolutely," Tomlin said. "And the reason is this -- because it increases our chances of winning.

"I talked to the football team. We're a 10-3 team trying to be an 11-3 team, and the issue and singular focus we should have is on winning."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08346/934535-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Exactly what I was thinking. It could've been interpreted wrongly. Cuz we all know Parker is not a "Me-me-me" player like Moss or T.O.

devilsdancefloor
12-11-2008, 09:51 PM
"The issue for us has been, is and hopefully will continue to be winning -- that's my interpretation of Steelers football," Tomlin said. "Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

AMEN COACH! Gotta love coach T!

Edman
12-11-2008, 09:53 PM
The drafting of Mendenhall, the surge of Mewelde Moore, the comeuppance of Russell...

Parker....expendable?

bradness113
12-11-2008, 09:54 PM
NO.

TeeJay
12-11-2008, 10:36 PM
When Fast Willie gives a 1000 yd+ season next year, we'll all look back at this and chuckle, and thank whoever he was never sold.

He's still got the juice, and next season he'll prove it. He's had a shit year, with one thing or another, and he's frustrated. End of story.

The Media will probably hang on to this story and ring it dry till it bleeds, but meh.....They can go f**k themselves.

brick
12-11-2008, 10:38 PM
The drafting of Mendenhall, the surge of Mewelde Moore, the comeuppance of Russell...

Parker....expendable?

no way. we play better all around when he's on the field and healthy

jjpro11
12-11-2008, 11:33 PM
people thought polamalu was washed up last year too. believe it or not injuries actually can have a negative effect on a player. that doesnt mean he is done.

SteelCityKingsVP
12-12-2008, 12:07 AM
people thought polamalu was washed up last year too. believe it or not injuries actually can have a negative effect on a player. that doesnt mean he is done.

I think you mean that injuries can actually have a POSITIVE affect on a player. If thats what you were trying to say my hats off to you and I couldnt agree more.

On a side note.....why cant people be this optimistic about quarterbacks?

Madhunter
12-12-2008, 12:12 AM
The running games all comes down to a pathetic Offensive Line. I don"t care who it was behind this line, they still couldn't be effective. And give up on Marvel Smith already he can' t stay healthy if his life depended on it.

Steelman16
12-12-2008, 12:37 AM
"Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

Am I the only one who feels a burning desire within Mike Tomlin's heart to add to that collection? It's like this slow-match that will eventually turn into a giant flame.

I love Tomlin more and more. He's a great coach.

Concerning Parker, I think he just vented a little too much due to frustration about the horrible year he's had. He knows what Steelers football is, and he doesn't want to change it, he's just mad at himself.

The chip on his shoulder is growing larger folks. I agree with TeeJay that he'll come back strong next year.

SunshineMan21
12-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Willie is fine, and he's still in our plans. We'll probably keep 4 RBs next year--at least it will remove the temptation for the FO to draft one.

jdsdaguy
12-12-2008, 03:18 AM
[QUOTE=Steelman16;494780]Am I the only one who feels a burning desire within Mike Tomlin's heart to add to that collection? It's like this slow-match that will eventually turn into a giant flame.

I love Tomlin more and more. He's a great coach.

i've seen it too, lately. he is all fired up when our defence is dominating. just wish the offence could get him fired up in a good way.

Galax Steeler
12-12-2008, 03:34 AM
It is just Parkers opinion he probably would not be saying this if he had been healthy all year and running the ball in a more productive way I am going to stand behind Tomlin on this after all we have only lost three games if it was a loosing season I would be questioning some of the things he is doing.

markymarc
12-12-2008, 06:30 AM
While I like how Tomlin reacted to the comments, FWP was dead on with his comments. Bruce Arians needs to be called out, although this should have been done behind closed doors. And I really hope Tomlin is not kidding himself and actually think the OL and Arians is not hurting our offense. This off season will be key for Tomlin. I am very interested to see how he handles our dreadful OC and addresses the OL issues. I hope he continues to put his stamp on this team and of course it will be nice to get FWP healthy again. His knee injury is definitely hurting his this season.

chucoblack&gold
12-12-2008, 07:53 PM
The Dallas Crybabies should take notes on how to handle frustrated players.

Tomlin's the man.:hatsoff: I'll admit I was one of the skeptics, but he has proven me wrong.

Lets enjoy this first class trip with Tomlin as our Pilot.:drink:

markymarc
12-13-2008, 11:52 AM
While some people are concerned about this being a distraction, IMO this really sparks the team and they come out Sunday and show who is the best team in the AFC North.

T.Richardson
12-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Why are people calling out Arians for his play calling?

First off, when te Steelers call som erunning plays, and they each gain 1-3 yards, and its like 3rd & 5, Arians calls a pass play, and then it is incomplete, this happens like 5 or 6 times, and then you guys say this is horrible playcalling. If Arians called a run play on the next possession on a 3rd & 5, you guys will say that is horrible playcalling. So what is Arians supposed to do? I think he is doing an ok job as OC, but jeesh...Its not his fault Parker/Moore/Russel cant get a run of 4-5 yards consistantly.

Makaveli
12-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Of course Tomlin is "upset" about Willie's evaluation because it was true,...and it ultimately rests at his (Tomlin's) feet.

It's a classic case of Tomlin having crocodile dreams with a hummingbird ass,... and bit off more than he could chew by allowing Arians to attempt to implement this new"offensive scheme". (Not that said scheme is ineffective,...we just do not have that personel. From the QB on down)

Steeler football,...though simple and not exactly "sexy" was in fact productive. And that formula was to impose our will by running the ball behind a fullback, sustain drives and limit Roethliberger's opportunities to throw picks, throw behind receivers, too low for receivers, too high for receivers, under throw them deep and take "i can't process coverages fast enough" sacks.

And every now and then we'd throw in a "gadget" play that was often effective because other teams were so focused upon the ground game.

Oldest cliche in the world,..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it",..even at the expense of Tomlins ego in terms of his ability to select quality players and make his on Mark upon the organization as a "Head Coach".

steelpride12
12-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Parker was just immature with him comments in the sense they came at the wrong time. The Steelers are 10-3 and winning footballs from help from the defense as well as offense. Yes the run has not been what it has been, but with MeMo, Russell and used to be Mendy he has to realize he will not get the carries he wants.

Parker also should know that if he is not producing on his carries and MeMo is then he will be the one sidelined it's common sense.

Tomlin knows that the team does not need drama at this point and the fact is the Steelers are winning, and unless the season is lost because of the loss of a run game Parker shouldn't get worked up.

Edman
12-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Should Parker put up another turd game against Baltimore tomorrow thus limiting the offense and putting even more pressure on Ben, I don't wanna hear his mouth for the rest of the year.

43Hitman
12-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Well to be completely fair no one has put up a good running game against the Ravens. So I wouldn't expect to much in the running game. Just like they (Ravens) probabaly aren't expecting to run the ball very well against us.

MasterOfPuppets
12-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Asked how the two-tight end offense, which rarely employs a fullback, is performing, Tomlin said, "It was working pretty good last year when he was leading the league in rushing before he was hurt. so whats the difference from last year to this year? faneca,smith, and simmons. not good pass blockers, but they DID open holes for the backs...:coffee:

Steelers & I
12-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Of course Tomlin is "upset" about Willie's evaluation because it was true,...and it ultimately rests at his (Tomlin's) feet.

It's a classic case of Tomlin having crocodile dreams with a hummingbird ass,... and bit off more than he could chew by allowing Arians to attempt to implement this new"offensive scheme". (Not that said scheme is ineffective,...we just do not have that personel. From the QB on down)

Steeler football,...though simple and not exactly "sexy" was in fact productive. And that formula was to impose our will by running the ball behind a fullback, sustain drives and limit Roethliberger's opportunities to throw picks, throw behind receivers, too low for receivers, too high for receivers, under throw them deep and take "i can't process coverages fast enough" sacks.

And every now and then we'd throw in a "gadget" play that was often effective because other teams were so focused upon the ground game.

Oldest cliche in the world,..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it",..even at the expense of Tomlins ego in terms of his ability to select quality players and make his on Mark upon the organization as a "Head Coach".

Great Post!

Another old cliche, "Put the cart before the horse" I too believe that Arians is attempting to instill an offensive system into player personnel who aren't capable of executing it.

43Hitman
12-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Like the new avatar Master of Puppets ;-)

cowboykilla
12-13-2008, 04:24 PM
YOU TELL HIM COACH!

Makaveli
12-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,...."Randy Mike Tomlin Watson",........

http://www.xcomment.com/g2/img/303277228_5a398b7676010908024548.gif

"I beeleeve that Big Ben is the fewtcha,....teach him well and let him,.... leedtheway"
Show him all tha beauty he possez insiiiiiiiiiiiiide.

Give him a sense,....of pride,....Tomakeiteasier.

Let not tha league's lauuuuughter,...remind us how,....goooood,... we could be.

See Ben decided long ago,....never to walk in any playbook or great quarterback's shadow.

So when he fail,...so miserably,...his groupies still ride his sack just as well as meeeeeee,......

Be cause tha,...greatest,.....nuts of all,..belooong to Heeee,....eeee,...eeeee,..ee"

JackHammer
12-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Should Parker put up another turd game against Baltimore tomorrow thus limiting the offense and putting even more pressure on Ben, I don't wanna hear his mouth for the rest of the year.

Yeah because RB's NEVER put up turd games against the Ravens....

I hope you didn't get livingl legend by saying things as dumb as this :rofl:

markymarc
12-14-2008, 11:30 AM

Perfect post because it is dead on. Don't get me wrong because I think Tomlin is a very good HC, but I just don't like how he has handled the Arians debacle. This off season will say a lot about Tomlin and how he addresses our issues offensively.