PDA

View Full Version : Offense. . .

Preacher
12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
People.

Now that we have won the game. Let us think for a second.

Once again, we have an offense that came out against a TOP 10 team.. this one, number 2 defense.

They did what they had to to win when they had to.

I know it isn't pretty. IT isn't the 20 point wins we would want.

However, in the end. I trust an offense that have dealt with pressure ALL SEASON.

So please. For the rest of the year. . . AND THE PLAYOFFS,

TRUST THIS OFFENSE-- THE WHOLE THING... until the clock says 00:00.

I wonder if this thread is going to have any legs? :chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 07:31 PM
I know that when the game is on the line, and we need a drive, Our QB and our Offense seems to always get the job done.

And when we need a stop, our Defense gets the job done.

Way to go Ben, 90+ yard drive to Win The Game. Bottome line. AFC North CHAMPS. First Round BYE and we Control our own Destiny for the Home Field Advantage.

Ricco Suavez
12-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I could not agree more. Great TEAM win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

X-Terminator
12-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Judging from this thread, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the O took a beating in the Gameday thread. Again. Well, what did anyone expect against the #2 D in the NFL, in their own stadium? And once again, when the game was on the line, Ben and the O came though. Again.

BTW, the TD was a gift from the refs.

XxKnightxX
12-14-2008, 07:33 PM
90 YARD DRIVE AGAINST THE 3RD DEFENSE, NUFF SAID, WE WIN UGLY, BUT dammit we win PERIOD. We clinched a BYE week too which can help out in straightening out things.

Tankus_Maximus
12-14-2008, 07:33 PM
man....the more I watch Ben play, the more he is morphing into John Elway.

Should be a sweet career to watch develop.

SuzyPeppercorn
12-14-2008, 07:34 PM
i wouldn't say a gift. No doubt it was a close. I think it was inconclusive either way.

MACH1
I hate it when that bum Ben pulls it out once again. :rolleyes:

The Duke
Never again doubt Big Ben

X-Terminator
12-14-2008, 07:35 PM
i wouldn't say a gift. No doubt it was a close. I think it was inconclusive either way.

It wasn't a TD. Sorry.

Ricco Suavez
12-14-2008, 07:36 PM
The view up top showed the ball breaking the plane. SH makes catch and drags both feet. How is it not a TD? At first i said not a TD but after slo-mo I told my wife we just scored.

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 07:37 PM
It wasn't a TD. Sorry.

He had the ball in his hands, over the Line (or right on the line) with both feet down.

That's a TD. Every Single Time.

Preacher
12-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Judging from this thread, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the O took a beating in the Gameday thread. Again. Well, what did anyone expect against the #2 D in the NFL, in their own stadium? And once again, when the game was on the line, Ben and the O came though. Again.

BTW, the TD was a gift from the refs.

Yes to the gameday thread.

On the gift of the TD... Naa. Either way it wasn't a bad call. It was THAT close.

scsteeler
People.

Once again, we have an offense that came out against a TOP 10 team.. this one, number 2 defense.

However, in the end. I trust an offense that have dealt with pressure ALL SEASON.

SO TRUE, SO TRUE YOUR STATEMENT RINGS.

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

Ricco Suavez
Dino I just posted basically the same. How did you get so smart?

steelpride12
Thats why defense wins championships! You could have a bad game on offense all day long, but the D holds them to possible 2 small scores and one drive can win the game.

scsteeler
12-14-2008, 07:39 PM
He had the ball in his hands, over the Line (or right on the line) with both feet down.

You know the Ratbirds will be singing another tune.

steelwall
12-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Yes this team has exceeded my expectations this year given this tough sceduale and our personel.

I couldnt ask for any more.

X-Terminator
12-14-2008, 07:40 PM

Yes to the gameday thread.

On the gift of the TD... Naa. Either way it wasn't a bad call. It was THAT close.

No question it was close, but IMO it wasn't a TD. I slowed down the slo-mo on my DVR and the ball was not touching the goal line when his feet hit. I think they'd have gone for it and punched it in from the 1 inch line, however. I'll take it, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather win without any controversy.

SuzyPeppercorn
12-14-2008, 07:41 PM
It wasn't a TD. Sorry.

oh, sorry about that. I won't question your almighty opinion ever again. I forgot you were always right.

/sarcasm

Tristan3B
12-14-2008, 07:41 PM
HELLO?!?!? This offense will not win in the playoffs. Does anyone really believe that, as a TEAM, we deserved to win either of the past two games? That's just delusional. Why must we be so vanilla with our offense? No wrinkles, no deception, and winning on the laurels of our defense. Bruce Arians needs to go and I am not the only one who thinks it. As I see it, there is a very simple solution. Go NO HUDDLE. Ben may be the most gifted athlete on the field at any given moment. Just don't give the man a chance to think, he will mess it up. Does anyone remember his superbowl "win"?

The Duke
12-14-2008, 07:44 PM
HELLO?!?!? This offense will not win in the playoffs. Does anyone really believe that, as a TEAM, we deserved to win either of the past two games? That's just delusional. Why must we be so vanilla with our offense? No wrinkles, no deception, and winning on the laurels of our defense. Bruce Arians needs to go and I am not the only one who thinks it. As I see it, there is a very simple solution. Go NO HUDDLE. Ben may be the most gifted athlete on the field at any given moment. Just don't give the man a chance to think, he will mess it up. Does anyone remember his superbowl "win"?

11-3

Ben may be the most gifted athlete on the field at any given moment. Just don't give the man a chance to think, he will mess it up

....:hunch:

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 07:44 PM

This offense will do exactly what is required to win playoff games.

Control the clock.

score points.

Get out of bad situations like starting at their own 5, 8, 13, and flip the field. Then when it matters most, they'll drive the ball on the # (something other than 1) defense in the league and score to win the game.

Shhhh....hush....Bottom Line. 11-3. Bye Week, AFC North Champs with the potential of having every single playoff game at Home!

Ricco Suavez
12-14-2008, 07:45 PM

Wow Join date of Dec 08 and you have already lost your Steeler faith. Short lesson here we are 11-3 with the number 1 defense and we are 2-0 in Dec before the playoffs.

X-Terminator
12-14-2008, 07:47 PM

We just won the f'ing division title and the O drove NINETY TWO YARDS against the 2nd best D in the NFL for the winning score with the damn game on the line. What in the HELL do you want???

I'm SO sick of you f'ing newbies coming on here with your negative bullshit - get the hell out of here!!

Steelman16
12-14-2008, 07:47 PM

Why can't this offense win a playoff game? We've played against some of the toughest defenses in the league and each time controlled our own destinies. Once or twice we shot ourselves in the foot, but most of the time we came up big like we did tonight.

I see no reason why we can't win a playoff game.

That said, I totally agree Preacher. It's the new forumla...

1st & 2nd Quarter - stalled drives, poor field position. Pound on the defensive side.

3rd Quarter - almost look like we've got it together, but make a bad play. (more continued pounding by our defense)

4th Quarter - suddenly get it together, go down, score a touchdown and win. Viola. :chuckle:

MACH1
12-14-2008, 07:48 PM

Great way to introduce yourself.

You know ya can jump off the bandwagon at anytime.

Ricco Suavez
12-14-2008, 07:49 PM

My bad, This was your first post. WE always excuse the first moronic post.

X-Terminator
12-14-2008, 07:50 PM
My bad, This was your first post. WE always excuse the first moronic post.

I don't.

Ban the jackass.

43Hitman
12-14-2008, 07:55 PM
It wasn't a TD. Sorry.

I agree. There wasn't enough evidence to overturn that call. But hell I'll take it. We should however be watching overtime right now.

43Hitman
12-14-2008, 07:57 PM

:thmbdown::troll::banned:

X-Terminator
12-14-2008, 07:57 PM
I agree. There wasn't enough evidence to overturn that call. But hell I'll take it. We should however be watching overtime right now.

I think Tomlin would have gone for it since it would have been right at the goal line. QB sneak, game over.

Godfather
12-14-2008, 07:59 PM

The ref's explanation was the receiver being in the end zone...maybe that's different from running it in where you have to get the ball over the goal line.

43Hitman
12-14-2008, 08:00 PM
I think Tomlin would have gone for it since it would have been right at the goal line. QB sneak, game over.

And personally I would have been livid. In that kind of game, that would have been in my opinion the absolutely the wrong call. You put it on the defense in OT if you have to. Thank goodness we only have to speculate about that situation.

collinsz
12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Ill be honest, I don't think that the ball crossed the line. Dont get me wrong Im happy we won and we would have probably (hopefully) won regardless but its still tough. I live in Baltimore and I have been talking allot of S*&T this past week and now I have to go and listed to people wine about that call all day tomorrow t work...bummer

MACH1
12-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Stu on espn was saying its the ball going into the endzone (breaking the plane) whether or not it comes back out, with possession of both feet in the endzone = TD.

X-Terminator
12-14-2008, 08:06 PM
And personally I would have been livid. In that kind of game, that would have been in my opinion the absolutely the wrong call. You put it on the defense in OT if you have to. Thank goodness we only have to speculate about that situation.

I wouldn't have liked it either - you play for the tie on the road and take your chances in OT. But I just felt that Tomlin would have gone for it.

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Ill be honest, I don't think that the ball crossed the line. Dont get me wrong Im happy we won and we would have probably (hopefully) won regardless but its still tough. I live in Baltimore and I have been talking allot of S*&T this past week and now I have to go and listed to people wine about that call all day tomorrow t work...bummer

Dude, its easy, it was a 90+ yard drive. They can stfu and eat crow...

43Hitman
12-14-2008, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't have liked it either - you play for the tie on the road and take your chances in OT. But I just felt that Tomlin would have gone for it.

Somehow deep in my gut I think you are right. Man this board would have literally blown the eff up if that happened and we didn't score. Whew, we dodged one there.

:tt03::helmet:

Tristan3B
12-14-2008, 08:18 PM
I am no less a fan just because I happen to have a dissenting opinion. Nor do I have blind faith. I love my team, period. What fan would not want to see them improve in any way they can? Though some people may enjoy the heart attack, come from behind, games...it kills me to watch it. Who among us is satisfied with 3 points in three quarters? Wins are always phenomenal but many of our wins could have easily become losses. Ben is flat out incredible when he is forced to run no huddle. He's been campaigning for it for years. i think he's paid his dues enough so that the staff might consider loosening the reigns a little. That's all. These close ones are killing me.

T.Richardson
12-14-2008, 08:27 PM
It was like not even an inch from the goal line. I think it was close, but the refs decided it was a TD due to the ball being sooo close to the goal line.

T.Richardson
12-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I am no less a fan just because I happen to have a dissenting opinion. Nor do I have blind faith. I love my team, period. What fan would not want to see them improve in any way they can? Though some people may enjoy the heart attack, come from behind, games...it kills me to watch it. Who among us is satisfied with 3 points in three quarters? Wins are always phenomenal but many of our wins could have easily become losses. Ben is flat out incredible when he is forced to run no huddle. He's been campaigning for it for years. i think he's paid his dues enough so that the staff might consider loosening the reigns a little. That's all. These close ones are killing me.

What in the heck did you think this offense would do against the NUMBER 2 DEFENSE!?

Preacher
12-14-2008, 08:33 PM
What in the heck did you think this offense would do against the NUMBER 2 DEFENSE!?

That was my point last week. We played a number 10 defense.. still TOP 3rd of the league.

Some people here just don't understand thatl

43Hitman
12-14-2008, 08:35 PM
That was my point last week. We played a number 10 defense.. still TOP 3rd of the league.

Your right they all think that we should hang a 50 burger on any team just because they can do it in Madden. :doh:

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Touchdown: When any part of the ball, legally in possession of a player inbounds, breaks the plane of the opponent’s goal line, provided it is not a touchback.

NV STEELERS 723
12-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Seems like when we have too......... we do...STEELERS are awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!

NYC SteelersFan
12-14-2008, 08:41 PM

You would say the same thing about the offense no matter who we play and where they rank defensively.

I just don't care about the offense anymore. It is what it is and there is no way it will be fixed this year. As long as Roethlisberger doesn't do anything stupid (aside from throwing INT's on 3rd and shorts because Arian's is an idiot) to turn the ball over, then I am more than confident that this defense is better than the 00' Ravens defense and can easily take us to the Superbowl.

Preacher
12-14-2008, 08:47 PM
You would say the same thing about the offense no matter who we play and where they rank defensively.

I just don't care about the offense anymore. It is what it is and there is no way it will be fixed this year. As long as Roethlisberger doesn't do anything stupid (aside from throwing INT's on 3rd and shorts because Arian's is an idiot) to turn the ball over, then I am more than confident that this defense is better than the 00' Ravens defense and can easily take us to the Superbowl.

You know....

I suggest you read through some more of my posts before you make hilarious comments like that.

I usually tend to base things on stats... even t-test stats to show the difference between statistical difference and nominal differences.

But assume all you want

devilsdancefloor
12-14-2008, 08:51 PM
QUOTE=Preacher;497123]People.

I wonder if this thread is going to have any legs? :chuckle:[/QUOTE]

http://xs134.xs.to/xs134/08500/legs_20stone883.jpg[

sorry couldnt help myself! :laughing::wink02:

43Hitman
12-14-2008, 08:53 PM
QUOTE=Preacher;497123]People.

I wonder if this thread is going to have any legs? :chuckle:

http://xs134.xs.to/xs134/08500/legs_20stone883.jpg[

sorry couldnt help myself! :laughing::wink02:[/quote]

Nice legs.. :drink:

T.Richardson
12-14-2008, 08:55 PM
The only thing wrong with this offense is the running game. They never produce yards when needed.

43Hitman
12-14-2008, 08:58 PM
The only thing wrong with this offense is the running game. They never produce yards when needed.

That really goes to the fact that our o-line hasn't been doing there job this year. I just hope it can hold up in the playoffs.

NYC SteelersFan
12-14-2008, 09:00 PM
You know....

I suggest you read through some more of my posts before you make hilarious comments like that.

I usually tend to base things on stats... even t-test stats to show the difference between statistical difference and nominal differences.

But assume all you want

I won't start an "offensive problems" debate in your thread. I'll give you offensive peace and quiet in this thread Preacher. But be sure to stop by in the "offensive problems" thread that I'll start later tonight (If someone else doesn't start it first) and we can continue the conversation if you'de like. :tt::drink:

NYC SteelersFan
12-14-2008, 09:02 PM

That really goes to the fact that our o-line hasn't been doing there job this year. I just hope it can hold up in the playoffs.

Let's save it for another thread guys, let Preacher have one thread he can go into without getting annoyed by the "offensive woes" of the team being complained about. :tt:

Mcgee
12-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Amen I say to you GoSlash77, that was simply one of the best games things I've seen as a Steelers fan.

Preacher
12-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I won't start an "offensive problems" debate in your thread. I'll give you offensive peace and quiet in this thread Preacher. But be sure to stop by in the "offensive problems" thread that I'll start later tonight (If someone else doesn't start it first) and we can continue the conversation if you'de like. :tt::drink:

I don't doubt we have problems... Heck, we have lots of them.

It is just that, at the end of the day, I will take this offense with these problems over any other offense with their problems.

does that make sense? I just trust Ben and the offense to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. That is all.

(BTW, thanks for not hijacking the thread).

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 09:26 PM
You know, early in the game, we had a penalty and a couple dropped balls that if our guys, EXECUTE the plays we would have driven the ball and not had to deal with the bad field position all first half. That Berger punt was bad too. But really, Nate dropped one early that would have moved the chains, we had a couple holding calls on good running plays, couple falst starts. If we execute, we do much better. Its one thing to call bad plays, its another to have guys dropping balls, making bone head plays or moving on the Oline early.

Oh yeah, and Delay of Game on the 1st drive. I'm going to punch someone in the face if I see that again.

Preacher
12-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I noticed that we put in Mewelde when the chips were down. Not coincidentally, they were also able to move the sticks. Not dissin' Fast Willie, but somebody finally recognized that he's not a power back.
The entire offense *including the line* did a great job tonight. That's 300 yards against the second most stifling defense in the league. You gotta respect that.

Yep. You gotta give the line their props tonight.

Willie got the most yards... and the best percentage.

Willie, 14 carries, 47 yards.
MeMo 7 carries, 16 yards.

Willie had the better day stat wise. But the point is... Willie came in during the game and gave a good effort. Then fresh legs in MeMo were able to have that extra burst at the end of the game.

It isn't about Willie being a power back or not... MeMo isn't either. IT is about having to back that can run the ball, so they put the fresh legs in at the end of the game.

NoFieldFive
We really need a punter. First half Baltimore was starting at mid field the entire time. If not for the great D by Pitts the Ravens could have scored with that great field postion.

Dino 6 Rings
The Good news, after 56 minutes, we were warmed up and made all the plays we had to and won the game.

Did anyone really think the Ravens would drive the field and get into the endzone? Didn't think so.

Preacher
12-14-2008, 09:28 PM
We really need a punter. First half Baltimore was starting at mid field the entire time. If not for the great D by Pitts the Ravens could have scored with that great field postion.

We preachers have a saying for this statement...

.... You're preaching to the choir.

stillers4me
12-14-2008, 09:38 PM
edit

xbroughneck
12-14-2008, 10:13 PM
No.

Happy with a win. Not happy that the Steelers were one dropped pass away from losing the game.

I liked the last drive because the Steelers didn't have time to do anything other than pass.

I still don't like the offensive scheme. I saw ONE play with the biggest fullback we've got, it ended up being a pass play...that Ben completely misthrew the pass to the ground.

The offense after 14 games still doesn't look like it knows what it's doing. The players are playing. The scheme still sucks.

NYC SteelersFan
12-14-2008, 10:21 PM
You know, early in the game, we had a penalty and a couple dropped balls that if our guys, EXECUTE the plays we would have driven the ball and not had to deal with the bad field position all first half. That Berger punt was bad too. But really, Nate dropped one early that would have moved the chains, we had a couple holding calls on good running plays, couple falst starts. If we execute, we do much better. Its one thing to call bad plays, its another to have guys dropping balls, making bone head plays or moving on the Oline early.

Oh yeah, and Delay of Game on the 1st drive. I'm going to punch someone in the face if I see that again.

Nate made 2 drops that not even a WR could argue in favor of Washington and he dropped another that he should've been in position for but allowed himself to get boxed out. Plus Holmes had one nasty drop as well, not including the fumble.

Preacher
12-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Nate made 2 drops that not even a WR could argue in favor of Washington and he dropped another that he should've been in position for but allowed himself to get boxed out. Plus Holmes had one nasty drop as well, not including the fumble.

Yep, we are still struggling in execution. I wonder if... Hey, time for a new thread. . ..

NYC, you may be interested in this one. . .

lilyoder6
12-14-2008, 11:31 PM
we need 3 threads bout nate dropping balls... 2 threads bout the muffed punt... 1 thread bout fox getting the ball... 3 threads bout holmes fumble and how much he blows... then 2 more threads bout how great holmes is....

anything i missed preach??

Steelers & I
12-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Great game indeed. Thank GOD for the Steelers no huddle offense. You see what happens when Roethlisberger gets that freaking Arians out of his ear piece, TOUCHDOWN! GAME OVER!

BozMan
12-15-2008, 01:25 AM

I still do not understand the long snap counts. It is far more likely to draw a penalty on yourself for false start or delay of game than it is to draw the opposing defense off sides.

eafratitpm3
12-15-2008, 03:45 AM
As for the TD, I don't understand how SH's feet have anything to do with it being a TD or not. His feet shouldn't have anything to do with it IMO. How many times do you see RB's or WR's dive from the 3 or 4 yd line and just have the ball touch inside the pylon. The only thing that had to happen is SH had to have control of the ball while it touches the front part of the goal line. TD, get over it!

jjpro11
12-15-2008, 03:54 AM
As for the TD, I don't understand how SH's feet have anything to do with it being a TD or not. His feet shouldn't have anything to do with it IMO. How many times do you see RB's or WR's dive from the 3 or 4 yd line and just have the ball touch inside the pylon. The only thing that had to happen is SH had to have control of the ball while it touches the front part of the goal line. TD, get over it!

that is correct.. a lot of people dont seem to be grasping the rule. it is the same thing that happened in 2002 in overtime vs the falcons when burress caught the hail mary ball in the end zone, but the ball clearly never went past the goal line. it resulted in him being down at the one yard line with no time left. feet have nothing to do with it.. of all people, we steelers fans should know this one.

Preacher
12-15-2008, 04:57 AM
that is correct.. a lot of people dont seem to be grasping the rule. it is the same thing that happened in 2002 in overtime vs the falcons when burress caught the hail mary ball in the end zone, but the ball clearly never went past the goal line. it resulted in him being down at the one yard line with no time left. feet have nothing to do with it.. of all people, we steelers fans should know this one.

Right off the NFL rules website: Touchdown: When any part of the ball, legally in possession of a player inbounds, breaks the plane of the opponent’s goal line, provided it is not a touchback.

I sure didn't see a touchback, did you?

markymarc
12-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Had a feeling this game would come down to the last minutes in the 4th quarter. While we did not rack up a lot of yards on the ground, it was nice to see FWP and Moore bust off a few nice runs. Ben and the entire offense was clutch down the stretch and that's all that matters.

jjpro11
12-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Right off the NFL rules website: Touchdown: When any part of the ball, legally in possession of a player inbounds, breaks the plane of the opponent’s goal line, provided it is not a touchback.

I sure didn't see a touchback, did you?

im not quite sure i understand your post.. im just saying that a lot of people are interpreting the rule that as long as two feet are down in the end zone, the ball doesnt have to cross the goal line.. that is obviously wrong as the ball must cross the plane regardless of where the feet are. we all saw an example of the rule in the 2002 overtime game, so we should know the rule.

HometownGal
12-15-2008, 08:48 AM

And 2 of our 3 losses could easily have become wins. :doh:

A win is a win is a win - no matter how glitzy or how ugly. Championship teams rise from adversity and that is what the Steelers have done the past 2 games.

If these close ones are "killing you", might I suggest some Xanax and a couple of Molson Golden's (not together, of course). :wink02:

Bottom line? Never count this team out of any game. I sure don't.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-15-2008, 08:59 AM
I think many forget that the Steelers have the toughest nfl schedule this year (some on espn said at the beginning of the year that it was the toughest schedule that they have ever seen)

With that said, our offense will not be a high scoring offense.... did anyone here think at the beginning of the year that we would have a chance to be first in the AFC.. I didnt. (i was just hoping for a playoff spot).

The best thing about this is we already played all the best teams (minus the Titans...next week).
I think we have a great shot at winning it all.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 09:12 AM
man....the more I watch Ben play, the more he is morphing into John Elway.

Should be a sweet career to watch develop.

Yeah, but the 2nd last drive that ended up with a FG, he looked more like Montana, Young or Esiason. Throwing the ball out of bounds on 2nd down at the 20 was sooooo smart of a thing to do. He gave himself a chance to convert on 3rd down(which he did) and got a new set of downs.

The more ben manages the games......the more impressive of a QB he becomes to me.

Shane Oliver
12-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I, too, thought this game would come down to the wire. It was a defensive gridlock. I'm glad we pulled it out.

Yeah, I got issues with our o-line... but bottom line, we still pulled out a win.

The_WARDen
12-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Yeah, but the 2nd last drive that ended up with a FG, he looked more like Montana, Young or Esiason. Throwing the ball out of bounds on 2nd down at the 20 was sooooo smart of a thing to do. He gave himself a chance to convert on 3rd down(which he did) and got a new set of downs.

The more ben manages the games......the more impressive of a QB he becomes to me.

hey hey! he was promoted to supervisor last year!

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
12-15-2008, 09:31 AM

yeah +1 to that, the talk radio shows in baltimore said the ref said he described the call wrong and that the ball did cross the plane, he just assumed everyone knew that

fansince'76
12-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Wins are always phenomenal but many of our wins could have easily become losses.

And if my aunt had been born with a pecker she'd be my uncle. Point please? :coffee:

Sorry, but "fans" like you are why I wish this team would go into the tank for a few years just to clear the damn bandwagon out.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 01:29 PM
hey hey! he was promoted to supervisor last year!

I find it funny how the term "game manager" or "he manages the game well" is taken as derrogatory. Its actually a good thing.

I was listening to a game on the radio and Dan Reeves and Mark Malone were basically saying that "A QB that manages the game, doesnt turn the ball over, doesnt hurt his team and keeps moving the chains was always a good thing to me". "People talk like its a bad thing, but its always something I looked for in a good QB".

I think we want a QB that manages the game well.......otherwise we would all want Bubby Brister or Kordell Stewart back.

X-Terminator
12-15-2008, 01:34 PM
And if my aunt had been born with a pecker she'd be my uncle. Point please? :coffee:

Sorry, but "fans" like you are why I wish this team would go into the tank for a few years just to clear the damn bandwagon out.

Ditto.

I lived through the 80s and the Mark Malone/Cliff Stoudt/Bubby Brister days. Fans like that have no idea how good they have it. The Lions are looking for some fans - he can go join them. Maybe then he'll appreciate what we have.

fansince'76
12-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I was listening to a game on the radio and Dan Reeves and Mark Malone were basically saying that "A QB that manages the game, doesnt turn the ball over, doesnt hurt his team and keeps moving the chains was always a good thing to me". "People talk like its a bad thing, but its always something I looked for in a good QB".

Kinda funny that the two guys discussing why a "game manager" is a good thing is a guy who couldn't pass his way out of a paper bag and another guy who was basically run out of a job and city by one of the all-time great QBs (Elway) who railed at his coaching style. I think the connotation usually assigned to it is a QB that can't win a game with his arm when necessary.

The_WARDen
12-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I find it funny how the term "game manager" or "he manages the game well" is taken as derrogatory. Its actually a good thing.

I think we want a QB that manages the game well.......otherwise we would all want Bubby Brister or Kordell Stewart back.

they can call Ben what they want...all I know is that he gives them a chance to win every game. It's nice to have that in a QB, especially after sitting through all the garbage this team has had at QB since Bradshaw.

Dino 6 Rings
12-15-2008, 01:46 PM
they can call Ben what they want...all I know is that he gives them a chance to win every game. It's nice to have that in a QB, especially after sitting through all the garbage this team has had at QB since Bradshaw.

BINGO!

key being "since Bradshaw"

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Kinda funny that the two guys discussing why a "game manager" is a good thing is a guy who couldn't pass his way out of a paper bag and another guy who was basically run out of a job and city by one of the all-time great QBs (Elway) who railed at his coaching style. I think the connotation usually assigned to it is a QB that can't win a game with his arm when necessary.

Yeah, that is the fan's connotation of the game. It doesnt have to be a negative connotation though.

I respect Reeves opinion, he is one of the top 10 winningist football coaches in NFL history (which is more than most enlightened fans can say) and a good player in his day. I can remember him talking about evaluating youg players with a great line "if they dont bite when they are puppies, then they ususally dont bite when they are dogs".

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 01:51 PM

I dont think anybody tries to label Ben as a game manager. I was just saying that its nice to see him manage the game better the past 4-5 games. He's been making better decisions and still taking his trademark chances. .:thumbsup:

fansince'76
12-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah, that is the fan's connotation of the game. It doesnt have to be a negative connotation though.

I respect Reeves opinion, he is one of the top 10 winningist football coaches in NFL history (which is more than most enlightened fans can say) and a good player in his day. I can remember him talking about evaluating youg players with a great line "if they dont bite when they are puppies, then they ususally dont bite when they are dogs".

Oh yeah, I have no problem with Reeves and respect his opinion as well. He's forgotten more about the game than I'll probably ever know. I think that term being applied to Ben will always have a negative connotation in most fans' minds, that's all.