PDA

View Full Version : Ready for the Crying.

steelpride12
12-14-2008, 07:00 PM
On Football night in America they are saying the TD at the end was questionable and it is a huge controversial call.
Def, going to hear this for awhile, but hey that's not what matters its the final score and the Steelers won!
2008 AFC North Champions. Congrats Steelers.

X-Terminator
12-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Well, they're right. It is a controversial call. It was also the incorrect call. And now we're going to hear nothing but bitching from the Ratbird fans about how the game was stolen from them.

I hate this.

jjpro11
12-14-2008, 07:04 PM
i have no sympathy for other teams regarding calls until the refs start calling holds on james harrison.

Jaquila
12-14-2008, 07:04 PM
haha yea i say a replay were harrison almost got choked, but no flag!? me and my friend was like WTF and the commentators reaction was "a good block" :S

i just dont give a flyin rats ass what they say, it was CLEARLY a TD for Holmes!!

collinsz
12-14-2008, 07:05 PM
I live in Baltimore and am going to have to hear about that call for months. This sucks

collinsz
12-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I really dont think that the ball crossed the line from what I could see.. But I also remember seeing 2 clear pass interference calls and a HUGE hold that didnt get called on the Ravens so i suppose it all evens out

tony hipchest
12-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Well, they're right. It is a controversial call. It was also the incorrect call. And now we're going to hear nothing but bitching from the Ratbird fans about how the game was stolen from them.

I hate this.

i dont. i called it mid-game.

the refs owed us. (and it was a TD by definition).

i love it! :tt02:

nojobny
12-14-2008, 07:08 PM
It was def a TD and had they NOT gotten it right the hellfire fury from the millions of Steelers fans around the globe would have been unleashed.

And really, do we really care what whineyass Collinsworth has to say about the call?

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 07:09 PM
11-3, they can eat crap for all I care. We won, fair and freaking square.

311 yards to 202.

92 yards in 2:32 to win the game.

Cry and dust off the golf clubs, cause unless the Ravens win out, they are home for the holidays.

SteelCityMan786
12-14-2008, 07:09 PM
On Football night in America they are saying the TD at the end was questionable and it is a huge controversial call.
Def, going to hear this for awhile, but hey that's not what matters its the final score and the Steelers won!
2008 AFC North Champions. Congrats Steelers.

It is VERY Controversial. It could just as easily be a spot short. Now Ravens will be bitching. But all I'll have to say is it's what the refs say that counts.

mesaSteeler
12-14-2008, 07:10 PM
You got that right. Already that Steeler hating Tool Florio is claiming it's not a touchdown. On the BSPN they said it should not have been overturned. However consider what would have happened if it had not been a TD. It would have been on the one inch inch line and Big Ben could have done a QB sneak or we could have kicked the field goal to tie.

Speaking of BSPN (that ESPN for those who don't know the B stands for Bullsh*t.) at least they talked about the Steelers tonight unlike last week when they didn't mention them at all. Also belive it or not they were even positive about our Steelers.

Allso I have to give the Raven's coach kudos for what he said and did not say. He handled the post game interview well and did not whine and cry like BeliCheat would have.

fordfan485
12-14-2008, 07:10 PM
You know I just wish the NFL would put high speed cameras focused on the endzone so they can make these types of calls.

but you know what even if it wasn't the right call I think this makes up for all the missed holds on harrison all season long, and them taking back Troy's INT earlier in the season

steelpride12
12-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Wow Football Night in American Says it was the wrong call, and the Steelers didn't deserve it. Wow

Rule is Receiver with full possession, 2 feet down and any part across the line is a TD. Right call!

PisnNapalm
12-14-2008, 07:12 PM
What was controversial??

Holmes had his feet down in the endzone with possession of the ball. It's similar to having having his feet in bounds while falling out of bounds holding the ball.

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Bring on the Haters

What does not kill us only makes us Stronger!

nojobny
12-14-2008, 07:14 PM
And what about Troy's TD that the refs screwed up a few weeks ago?

Please.... the ratbirds can suck it. :moon:

SteelCityMan786
12-14-2008, 07:15 PM
What was controversial??

Holmes had his feet down in the endzone with possession of the ball. It's similar to having having his feet in bounds while falling out of bounds holding the ball.

It's where the ball is at the time of possession. A piece of the ball MUST cross the goal line. The Feet only matter for if he's in bounds.

As far as I can tell, it's a total JUDGEMENT call. Even a guy like me who has played Football for 8 years was going to have a hard time to make a decision.

collinsz
12-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Im fairly sure that even if his feet are in and he had possession the ball has to cross the line..I think..

Texasteel
12-14-2008, 07:16 PM
I really dont think that the ball crossed the line from what I could see.. But I also remember seeing 2 clear pass interference calls and a HUGE hold that didnt get called on the Ravens so i suppose it all evens out

It doesn't have to cross the line, I believe it just has to touch the line to be a TD. Someone corect me if I'm wrong.

SteelCityMan786
Im fairly sure that even if his feet are in and he had possession the ball has to cross the line..I think..

You would be correct. At least some portion of the ball must cross the plain.

jaygorius
If the rule is (which I think most seem to think) that the ball has to cross the white line, even if both feet are down with possession, then no, I honestly don't think that it was a touchdown.

However, and as childish as it may or may not sound, there have been so many BS terrible calls on the Steelers this year that I have no problem finally catching a break going our way.

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 07:17 PM
It doesn't have to cross the line, I believe it just has to touch the line to be a TD. Someone corect me if I'm wrong.

you are correct, one pimple on the ball needs to touch the goal line for it to count as a td. And at least 3 pimples were on the line.

TOUCHDOWN STEELERS!

SteelersMongol
12-14-2008, 07:19 PM
i dont. i called it mid-game.

the refs owed us. (and it was a TD by definition).

Yes. & BTW, when did we start caring about how the Ravens fans feel? Win is a win. :tt02: I just love the smell of a dead crow.

KeiselPower99
12-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Cry Cry Cry.

namman
12-14-2008, 07:20 PM
congrats afc north champs finally caught a call going our way.... And well contested game for both defenses.....The best team won. Awsome game....

Sharkissle29
12-14-2008, 07:23 PM
IMO, i thought the ball crossed the line in holmes possession....

mesaSteeler
12-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Bring on the Haters

What does not kill us only makes us Stronger!

Well said. Here's another one for you.

Let them hate as long as they fear.

Steelers Since '75
12-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Once again I say that it is a 2000 Ravens team we are seeing in the Steelers this year... our D is going to carry this team on it back all the way to the SB!!!

X-Terminator
I'm sorry, but this thread is dripping with hypocrisy. If it were the Ravens and not the Steelers on the receiving end of that call, everyone here would be ready to fricassee the refs. And everyone knows it. Just because the Steelers have been on the business end of the referees' incompetence doesn't mean we have to dismiss it when we get a call like this in our favor. If nothing else, there was not enough evidence to overturn the call, because as has been mentioned, possession in the end zone is not enough - the ball has to break the plane of the goal line, and there's no way you can tell that from the regular-speed slow-mos that the replay officials use.

LetsRock

People don't realize that the front edge of the white line IS THE ENDZONE. By breaking that plane WITH the football in his hands and BOTH feet firmly planted, THAT WAS A TD. The same thing when Ben scored in the SuperBowl.

Edman
12-14-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm ready too.

The Steelers didn't win the game, the Ravens lost it. The Ravens dominated. The Ravens should be the AFC North champs. Ravens got hosed. Steelers got lucky.

The middle finger goes to everyone.

scsteeler
12-14-2008, 07:27 PM
I live in Baltimore and am going to have to hear about that call for months. This sucks

Just tell them to get over it you can't change it and you move on. Questionable calls will always be talked about when your team loses. If that Raven Defense had stopped us from getting down inside the 10 yard line this would not even be a question' just tell them the Steelers are a good team and Kicked their asses twice this year! Nothing against the Ravens they are a good team but WE WON! Period.

They can whine all they want in Baltimore, just ask them why that vaunted defense allowed us to drive over 90 yards to get that close anyway. I will tell you why we are a better team and that is why we won.

WindyCitySteelerFan
12-14-2008, 07:29 PM
It clearly crossed the plain. It was a TD.. Plain and simple

GO STEELERS

Texasteel
12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm sorry, but this thread is dripping with hypocrisy. If it were the Ravens and not the Steelers on the receiving end of that call, everyone here would be ready to fricassee the refs. And everyone knows it. Just because the Steelers have been on the business end of the referees' incompetence doesn't mean we have to dismiss it when we get a call like this in our favor. If nothing else, there was not enough evidence to overturn the call, because as has been mentioned, possession in the end zone is not enough - the ball has to break the plane of the goal line, and there's no way you can tell that from the regular-speed slow-mos that the replay officials use.

I don't see why I'm a hypocrit because I don't agree with you.

X-Terminator
12-14-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't see why I'm a hypocrit because I don't agree with you.

I wasn't calling anyone in particular a hypocrite, but I stand by what I said. Most people are going to disagree with me, and that's fine.

I would just rather win without any controversy at all so there is no dispute that the better team won.

namman
12-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Bottom line...Guys in striped shirts being paid a lot of money to call a game the way they see the evidence. regardless of a bad call or a good call they didnt call you for verification. Game over. Stats show Steelers as champs...I see the game stats as just that.

jaygorius
12-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I wasn't calling anyone in particular a hypocrite, but I stand by what I said. Most people are going to disagree with me, and that's fine.

I agree that it likely was not a touchdown, but I don't find any fault in those of us saying "hey, we got away with one there, and it is nice to have one go our way for once." We all don't like bad officiating, even if it works in the Steelers favor, but we can't do anything about it. I know it leaves a bad taste in your mouth, but we all know as NFL fans, this stuff happens all the time and unfortunately is just part of the game.

SteelCityMan786
12-14-2008, 07:37 PM

You probably would've need to see it from the other side. My guess is they think he thought that he pulled the ball in before he got pushed out.

Texasteel
12-14-2008, 07:40 PM

I would just rather win without any controversy at all so there is no dispute that the better team won.

I thought the ball got into the end zone, what I didn't like, IMO there was not enough clear evidence to over turn the call, which ever way it went.

Crow-Magnon
12-14-2008, 07:41 PM

I hate this.

I'm bitching about how the Ravens allowed the Steelers to drive the length of the field at the end of the game. That's what won game for Pittsburgh, not the bogus call.

If the Steelers wouldn't have gotten the TD, they most likely would have kicked a FG to tie it up and would have won it in OT. That's just the way that game was going down.

XxKnightxX
12-14-2008, 07:42 PM
:drink:What was controversial??

That is what im thinking as well, that he had his feets on th eendzone are. One must realize that Endzone catches and runs are a whole different ballgame whatever:blah::blah:

Good game Steelers:drink:

XxKnightxX
12-14-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm bitching about how the Ravens allowed the Steelers to drive the length of the field at the end of the game. That's what won game for Pittsburgh, not the bogus call.

If the Steelers wouldn't have gotten the TD, they most likely would have kicked a FG to tie it up and would have won it in OT. That's just the way that game was going down.

Maybe the Ref wanted to go home since he had 60 Minutes on his DVr

X-Terminator
12-14-2008, 07:45 PM
I thought the ball got into the end zone, what I didn't like, IMO there was not enough clear evidence to over turn the call, which ever way it went.

Exactly, and I agree. The call should have stood based on lack of clear evidence.

Great to see you showing some class and admitting that the Ravens' D shouldn't have put themselves in that situation, but unfortunately you are going to be in the minority among your fanbase.

Crow-Magnon
12-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Maybe the Ref wanted to go home since he had 60 Minutes on his DVr

I don't know, but I do know there were several bogus calls in that game. I think I've seen maybe one PF thrown against a kicker in my 48 years of living, and what Jeff Reed "did" was about as worthy of a flag as getting a taunting penalty for saying horse poop to an official.

I know they are part of the game, but those zebra idiots get paid $$$ to make the right call. They've blown WAY too many this year, especially that horrendous call early in the season in the Broncos game. That's what the reply is supposed to correct.

Yeah....right!

conservativesteelers
12-14-2008, 07:50 PM
from the looks of the side view of the goal line, the second Holmes touched the ball (which was possessed the entire time), it looked like the back tip of the ball broke the plane of the goal line (maybe 1-2" of the back tip of the ball). Remember.. and it has to do is go over the white goal line.. and it doesn't have to cross the line at all.

But, I really don't think it was conclusive even from the side goal line view, as the picture was not super clear. But, I"m not watching on HD either.

Besides, the extra point personal foul on Reed was rediculous, and so was the non-holding call on James Harrison. But, the spot on the 3rd down play for the steelers before they got their first field goal was a crappy call as well. So, both sides had some bad reffing..

Besides. the Ravens had their chance to 'shut the door' on the Steelers, and let them drive down the field which led to that call at the goal line. So, they can't blame anyone but themselves for letting the STeelers have that opportunity to score a touchdown.

Crow-Magnon
12-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Exactly, and I agree. The call should have stood based on lack of clear evidence.

Great to see you showing some class and admitting that the Ravens' D shouldn't have put themselves in that situation, but unfortunately you are going to be in the minority among your fanbase.

Don't I know it. But you have to call a spade a spade. After playing stellar defense all game, they let down at the worst time. They should have blitzed non-stop on that drive.

blue2noise
12-14-2008, 07:52 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bOT6Ekads6VU/340x.jpg

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 07:52 PM

Wow, hats off to you for seeing the drive as the problem and not the call at the end.

:hatsoff:

Crow-Magnon
12-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Heck, you're not the first guys to get tripped up by Ben's QB option calls. That sort of thing is tough for anyone to defend.

I don't know what Mike would've called there, but I liked our chances betting the house with a QB sneak. Your defense was stout, but our OL was getting good penetration.

If it had gone into overtime, it was anybody's game.

I know Simms was saying Pittsburgh should go for it, but after gettinf stuffed by Dallas last week, I have a feeling Tomlin would have settled for a FG and tried to win the game in OT. Trying a sneak or handing it off to a RB and not getting it in the endzone to lose the game would have been tough to swallow.

But it's a moot point now.

Crow-Magnon
12-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Wow, hats off to you for seeing the drive as the problem and not the call at the end.

:hatsoff:

Bleah!

If it wasn't for letting the Steelers pass the ball the length of the field, there would have been no bogus call. The Ravens IIRC didn't blitz once on that drive. Very disappointing. In trying to not give up the big play, they gave up several that allowed Pittsburgh to drive the field.

I'm no HC, but even I know you don't play Manning, Brady or Roethlisberger that way with 2:00 or less on the clock and the game on the line.

T.Richardson
12-14-2008, 08:00 PM
If Ed Reed didnt slip, he would have tackled Washington short of the 1st down line. Thankfully, he slipped!

Steelman16
12-14-2008, 08:05 PM
If Ed Reed didnt slip, he would have tackled Washington short of the 1st down line. Thankfully, he slipped!

Yeah, that was our biggest lucky break on that drive IMO.

The ball crossed the plane. However, as far as I understand the rules, Holmes would have had to have possesion when the ball crossed, regardless of whether or not he got both feet down for it to have been a touchdown. I think he got it, but that's a hard one to call.

I agree that there was not enough clear visual evidence to overturn the call, but it was pretty dang close.

I'll take it though. The ref made his decision. Tennessee next week, folks. :tt02:

LVSteelersfan
12-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Sorry, but I saw the back tip of the ball over the white line. It was pretty damn clear to me when they kept showing it over and over and over. The refs got that one right. The BS non holding calls on Harrison are getting EXTREMELY annoying. I can't believe they get away with it game after game after game.

scsteeler
12-14-2008, 08:07 PM

Well said and my post said the same thing. Had the Ravens not allowed the long drive this would not even be a topic of discussion. The Steelers won. No Controversy.

warddj86
12-14-2008, 08:11 PM
11-3, they can eat crap for all I care. We won, fair and freaking square.

311 yards to 202.

92 yards in 2:32 to win the game.

Cry and dust off the golf clubs, cause unless the Ravens win out, they are home for the holidays.

Exactly, and I don't see that happening, they have Dallas on Saturday and then a possible trap game against Jacksonville. I just don't see them winning out

cowboykilla
12-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Ratbird fans crying is like sweet music to the ears. I say let em crank it up.

Preacher
12-14-2008, 08:14 PM

Absolutely,

If you remember, I defended the refs after that game against the Pats. This board sure does make fun of other people whining about the refs... and then we turn around and do it quite a bit ourselves. :pity:

Matter of fact, I ticked a few people off by comparing them to Seahawk fans. :noidea:

IMO the ref saw something and made the call. He wasn't calling for us or against us. He just saw something that HE checks for, and that made it a TD. That is his choice because he is the ref. That is it. Period. If the Ravens don't like it, then don't allow the catch to be made. And yes, I have said the same thing about the Steelers when we are in that position
(X-term. .. . this thread starts out for you, but someoplace, turned general. . . So take this as a general you, not specifcally YOU)

Tankus_Maximus
12-14-2008, 08:19 PM
i have no sympathy for other teams regarding calls until the refs start calling holds on james harrison.

EXACTAMUNDO! the announcers kept saying how Harrison had been pretty quiet all game, and then Simms admits that Terry Adams was holding Harrison (he practically had him in a headlock!)

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Exactly, and I don't see that happening, they have Dallas on Saturday and then a possible trap game against Jacksonville. I just don't see them winning out

Yep, the Cowboys will be playing for their playoff lives (and future jobs) and the Jags just knocked the Packers out of the playoffs winning today. Wanna bet they'll enjoy doing the same to the Ravens. That's an old AFC Central Rivalry, same as it is Jags vs Steelers. Ravens Jags always play each other hard.

MasterOfPuppets
12-14-2008, 08:31 PM
It's where the ball is at the time of possession. A piece of the ball MUST cross the goal line. The Feet only matter for if he's in bounds.

As far as I can tell, it's a total JUDGEMENT call. Even a guy like me who has played Football for 8 years was going to have a hard time to make a decision. i played for 10 and had no problem whatsoever calling IT :a TD !!! :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
12-14-2008, 08:37 PM

PREVENT DEFENSE - prevents you from winning!

Some needs to remind them that in the NFL they play for 60 minutes, not 56 and some change.

stillers4me
12-14-2008, 08:42 PM
I have a feeling we'll see a still shot of the TD with a line through the ball just barely over the plane, just like in Superbowl XL That's all it takes.

And just for the record, for all you Seawhiners......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/11XLbenisin.jpg

BlastFurnace
12-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Admittedly...and I'm just being honest here, I would be P.O'd had that happened to us.

Do I know for sure he crossed the goalline? No

Do I completely understand the rule? No

Have we gotten the short end of the stick before in controversial plays? Yes

Am I happy the call went our way? Yes

Could the call have gone either way? Yes

steelergirl07
12-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Let um cry. We earned our spot. Even if they didn't over turn the call, it wasn't the end of the game. They don't like the calls, don't leave it up to the officials. Refs are always going to make questionable calls. No use bitchin about it.

stillers4me
12-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Even Peckerhead just said it was a TD. When they showed it in slow motion, the ball broke the plane. When showed the overhead shot, it was clearly over the plane.

fansince'76
12-14-2008, 09:02 PM
When they give us the 3 games we got dicked out of in 2000 by officiating mistakes that Mr. Rooney got apology letters from the NFL front office for back, let me know. IOW, don't want to hear it. Besides, the initial call of no TD was wrong anyway. :coffee:

BlastFurnace
12-14-2008, 09:05 PM
When they give us the 3 games we got dicked out of in 2000 by officiating mistakes that Mr. Rooney got apology letters from the NFL front office for back, let me know. IOW, don't want to hear it. Besides, the initial call of no TD was wrong anyway. :coffee:

I'll never forget the Philadelphia game.

SteelCityMan786
12-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Folks,

I just watched the highlights on NBC's Sunday Night Football. They used a magnification clip on the picture delivered through the Aerial Camera. It showed that the ball DID IN FACT BUST THE PLAIN which makes it a Touchdown.

HometownGal
12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
(and it was a TD by definition).

It most definitely was a TD - no question about it. Santo got both feet down, had possession and the ball had crossed the plane of the goal. I recorded the game on my DVR and I've watched it 6 times and still come to the same conclusion.

I love it too! :tt02:

stillers4me
12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Folks,

I just watched the highlights on NBC's Sunday Night Football. They used a magnification clip on the picture delivered through the Aerial Camera. It showed that the ball DID IN FACT BUST THE PLAIN which makes it a Touchdown.

Yep.......great shot! Great catch!

MaidenIndiana
12-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Let them cry. The ref overturned the ruling on the field, and if he was wrong the NFL will send Baltimore one of them nice apology letters saying they blew it. Just like they've done to us in the past. Bottom line, we're AFC North champs, guaranteed a buy in the playoffs, and if we win next week homefield throughout the playoffs:applaudit:

steelreserve
12-14-2008, 09:32 PM
If you want to claim the refs cost you the game, maybe you should stop your opponents from driving 90+ yards in a minute and a half. If you can't do that, feel free to suck a dick and go home.

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 09:34 PM
1998, Thanksgiving day.

"Tails"

"You called Heads"

Wtf?

Guess we all get letters from the head office once in a while.

RowHH
12-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Extremely close but the ball broke the plane. As someone else said, NBC had a couple of conclusive (IMO) angles that they showed at halftime. Though, for some reason, two or three of the announcers still said they wouldn't have overturned the call.

Enjoy the victory.

SteelHeart
12-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Let them cry. The ref overturned the ruling on the field, and if he was wrong the NFL will send Baltimore one of them nice apology letters saying they blew it. Just like they've done to us in the past. Bottom line, we're AFC North champs, guaranteed a buy in the playoffs, and if we win next week homefield throughout the playoffs:applaudit:

Actually there was no way it should have been overturned. It was way too close. The entire purpose of the instant replay is to overturn plays that are unquestionable.

But you know what? I could care less! As long as the Steelers win, I absolutely do not care how they do it. If they play 25 men on the side and the refs miss it, I don't care. If they poison the other teams water supply I don't care. Winning is EVERYTHING and the whiners in Baltimore need to deal with it. So they were right -- too bad! They still loose!:helmet:

lilyoder6
12-14-2008, 10:42 PM
It most definitely was a TD - no question about it. Santo got both feet down, had possession and the ball had crossed the plane of the goal. I recorded the game on my DVR and I've watched it 6 times and still come to the same conclusion.

I love it too! :tt02:

i would hope it would come to the same conclusion... unless ur dvr can change the past

Steeldude
12-15-2008, 12:10 AM
IMO, there wasn't enough conclusive evidence to overturn the ref's call.

the dumbest call of the day belongs to arians(i assume) for calling for a spike and wasting a down. there was no need to stop the clock. it was 1st and goal on the 4-yard line with 1:04 still on the clock and still two timeouts remaining. the steelers are lucky they called that play a TD.

jjpro11
12-15-2008, 12:25 AM
the idiot ref on the field is who called it wrong.. when you watch the replay, you can see his angle and view were obstructed by a player and he likely missed initial moment holmes caught the ball. he saw him falling out of the end zone and called him down. had he seen the whole play clearly, i think he calls it a td. nevertheless, i didnt think it was going to get overturned while they were making their decision.

fansince'76
12-15-2008, 01:10 AM

the dumbest call of the day belongs to arians(i assume) for calling for a spike and wasting a down. there was no need to stop the clock. it was 1st and goal on the 4-yard line with 1:04 still on the clock and still two timeouts remaining. the steelers are lucky they called that play a TD.

IMO, the initial call was wrong anyway, and replay did what it was actually adopted by the league to do for a change and reversed an erroneous call. How many erroneous calls have I seen stand even after replay review due to the "inconclusive evidence to overturn" argument over the years? Too many.

Actually, looking at the play-by-play log for the game (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?game_id=29738&displayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2008&week=REG15&override=true), they were down to 1 timeout remaining when the spike was made, but I agree there was no real urgent need to spike it at that point, especially considering the following two plays were passes anyway.

steel striker
12-15-2008, 04:01 AM
By the rules it was a td and, hey I've seen td's called when the ball was a good 1 yard short of the goal line. Bottom line is two feet in with ball control and, break the plain = td.
On the NFL network even Dion Sanders said it was a td, and he as always been a hater. It was a judgement call and, a great play by our offense. Ben buying time the oline doing a good job and, Tone for getting open and making one heck of a catch and toe tap.

Galax Steeler
12-15-2008, 04:12 AM
It was a touchdown there is no dought in my mind he had his feet down and the ball broke the line it was a deffinete touchdown we won and there should not be no dought from the ratbird side.

Hines4ever
12-15-2008, 07:21 AM
ESPN saying NOTHING about the "controversial call"......quite positive in fact....unbelievable yesterday...still having chest pains!!!!!:tt02:

HometownGal
12-15-2008, 07:31 AM
i would hope it would come to the same conclusion... unless ur dvr can change the past

:doh::banging::doh:

http://www.braylu.com/Ebay/MortimerNew.gif

X-Terminator
12-15-2008, 07:39 AM

Ben called that, and they only had one time out left. He wanted to save it in case they didn't get a TD and they wanted to get the FG unit on. I have no issue with it.

SteelMember
12-15-2008, 08:12 AM
I think one point to remember is that, the review was a "Booth review" and not a challange. Ben waited about 20 seconds for them to buzz down to the field refs knowing it was very close. As jjpro stated, the far side line judge was obscured by a raven player, i believe #41, and was leaning to look around when the catch was made. This, I believe altered his direct line of sight of the goal line, and it was he who made the spot short of the.

Another point is that I believe the on field ref may have mis-spoke. I don't think there was any doubt that his feet were down in the endzone, but the ball crossing the goal line (plane) had more to do with it. If he would have just came out and said..."after reviewing the play...the ball crossed the plane of the endzone" instead of the feet thing, I don't think there would be any issue.

Tip of the ball crossed the white line...Touchdown!

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 08:18 AM
They can cry all they want. SCOREBOARD !!!!!

Where are the Ravens fans now.:noidea:

Gofigure
12-15-2008, 08:35 AM
They can cry all they want. SCOREBOARD !!!!!

Where are the Ravens fans now.:noidea:

Right here buttercup! :coffee:

I would have rathered it been a clear touchdown then what tanspired, but it is what it is.

revefsreleets
12-15-2008, 10:04 AM
A few thoughts:

-The first down spot for Russell was a worse call.

-The penalty on Reed was probably the worst call of the game, and a CLEAR make-up call.

-Harrison was basically being raped all game. The Rats were called on that zero times. BS.

-Parker had a nice run called back for a hold on Colon that was 10,000 less than the atrocities that were being committed against Harrison almost every play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 10:28 AM
-Parker had a nice run called back for a hold on Colon that was 10,000 less than the atrocities that were being committed against Harrison almost every play.

That was such a Joke. When I saw the replay it was clear that Colon was engaged in the block and Lewis spun out of it and fell with a bit of a push/pull in the back and side. When a defensive player turns his back and gets pushed from behind, its perfectly legal.

The only reason he got the call was because he is the overhyped Ray Lewis and on the contrary Silverback is just a UFA that is making a name for himself.

klick81
12-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Not the best pic, but this looks like a TD to me!

Gofigure
12-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Not the best pic, but this looks like a TD to me!

Ofcourse it would to you. :doh:

tony hipchest
12-15-2008, 10:39 AM
im listenning to marty shotenheimmer and even he doesnt know the rules.

i keep hearing the ball has to "cross" the plane.

no, this is just like bens td in the superbowl... the tip of the ball simply has to touch the plane of the end zone.

either way, the refs owed us that call.

filthyfan
12-15-2008, 10:40 AM
...jjpro...you are so right re: holds on Harrison....Can you believe the no call on the Ravens 3rd and 7 where Flacco converts....that was so unbeleivably blattant...and the ref is looking right at it and does not call it....I hate to say this....but I think when that is happening Harrison should just go down....then they'll have to call it..
As far as Holmes' TD....by definition Santonio had posession with the front of the ball over the plane....albeit briefly....but thats all that is required. SC has a good shot that clearly shows the ball broke the plane while in his posession...refs made the right call....
How bout that hit on Mason by Timmons?? How's ya burger Derrick???:tt:

Steel_Bus_24
12-15-2008, 10:41 AM
I hope they keep crying and the media keeps claiming we aren't legit...It will just help us keep our edge

Steel_Bus_24
12-15-2008, 10:44 AM
How bout that hit on Mason by Timmons?? How's ya burger Derrick???:tt:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08j76do0iafTd/610x.jpg

CB1977
12-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Ofcourse it would to you. :doh:

Ya know what Gofigure? I probably dislike the Steelers just as much as you do but, there is one thing I dislike more than them; that's the Ravens.

I was watching the game with my significant other, who also happens to be a Browns fan, and we were both rooting for the Steelers!!! Imagine that!!! Browns fans cheering on the Pittsburgh Steelers! Even though we are both Browns fans, we know a good team when we see one and Pittsburgh was clearly the much better team of the two.

When Pitts scored that touchdown, I was elated! When they reviewed the play, I really thought they'd make it go the way of the Ravens, since they had the home field advantage...things just seem to go more that way at times. But, it didn't and now the Baltimore fans are going to go around thinking that they were robbed; that the touchdown didn't count; blah, blah blah...

It was a touchdown. The replay clearly showed the the players feet were both inside the line and that the ball, at one point, was actually almost over the white line.

That, my friends, is a touchdown.

Congrats to my rival Steelers. You won the game. You deserved it.

Baltimore? You deserve nothing.

Edman
12-15-2008, 10:51 AM
XT, you can either take the win or you don't. It's not the Steelers' fault the Ravens did not know the rules.

I understand not wanting to win on controversy, but it's the Ravens' fault for even letting a drive like that happen. They put THEMSELVES in that position. Credit Big Ben for standing tall when the pressure is on, but the vaunted Rats Defense faded when it counted.

I know if the Steelers' D gave up a 92-yard TD drive to lose the game, I'd be pretty pissed too.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Right here buttercup! :coffee:

I would have rathered it been a clear touchdown then what tanspired, but it is what it is.

Welcome back.

I would have rather seen Ray Lewis admitt that he knows which one of his posse killed 2 men and left their kids without fathers, but as you say....it is what it is.

As for Lewis, hes one of the only people in the world who really has any idea about what did happen to Lollar and Baker, and hes not talking he never has. http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives/features_2000/sb_feature_012401.asp

X-Terminator
12-15-2008, 11:07 AM
XT, you can either take the win or you don't. It's not the Steelers' fault the Ravens did not know the rules.

I understand not wanting to win on controversy, but it's the Ravens' fault for even letting a drive like that happen. They put THEMSELVES in that position. Credit Big Ben for standing tall when the pressure is on, but the vaunted Rats Defense faded when it counted.

I know if the Steelers' D gave up a 92-yard TD drive to lose the game, I'd be pretty pissed too.

I believe I said I'll take the win...

No question it was close, but IMO it wasn't a TD. I slowed down the slo-mo on my DVR and the ball was not touching the goal line when his feet hit. I think they'd have gone for it and punched it in from the 1 inch line, however. I'll take it, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather win without any controversy.

...and that the Rats put themselves in that situation by allowing the 92-yard drive:

I also said this:

Well, upon further review, I have to say that it was a TD from the overhead shot NBC showed on the halftime show. That is obviously what the ref saw and why he overturned the call. It can be argued that the overhead shot is skewed a bit due to the angle as it is not perpendicular to the goal line, but even so, it still looked as if it broke the plane. I still would not have overturned the call, though, because it is not indisputable evidence IMO.

filthyfan
12-15-2008, 11:16 AM
....Thanks...love that shot...

skepticsightsten
12-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I was only lurking in these forums up until now, but I needed to say what only a few other people have brought up so far.

The aerial view caught by the blimp clearly shows the ball a few inches over the white line. Granted, the ref probably didn't have access to that angle and therefore probably did not have enough evidence to overturn the call, but the right call was made regardless. I'm not entirely happy that it happened, but again, as it has been pointed out, the Ravens' D shut down. They couldn't see what we were going to do, and they couldn't catch us fast enough when we did it. We were the better team all game long and we proved it at the end. Have to give credit where credit is due, though. The Ravens' D looked like the Steelers' D's little brother. They are the second best in the league for a reason. It's because they rule. Ours just rules harder.

Gofigure
12-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Ya know what Gofigure? I probably dislike the Steelers just as much as you do but, there is one thing I dislike more than them; that's the Ravens.

I was watching the game with my significant other, who also happens to be a Browns fan, and we were both rooting for the Steelers!!! Imagine that!!! Browns fans cheering on the Pittsburgh Steelers! Even though we are both Browns fans, we know a good team when we see one and Pittsburgh was clearly the much better team of the two.

When Pitts scored that touchdown, I was elated! When they reviewed the play, I really thought they'd make it go the way of the Ravens, since they had the home field advantage...things just seem to go more that way at times. But, it didn't and now the Baltimore fans are going to go around thinking that they were robbed; that the touchdown didn't count; blah, blah blah...

It was a touchdown. The replay clearly showed the the players feet were both inside the line and that the ball, at one point, was actually almost over the white line.

That, my friends, is a touchdown.

Congrats to my rival Steelers. You won the game. You deserved it.

Baltimore? You deserve nothing.

I guess it's a good thing I could give two shits what like. Just keep doing what you're doing, sitting back and watching other teams play. :rofl:

In the end it was a hard fought game, and that's exactly what I thought it would be. Both defenses dominated most of the game. In the end the Steeler's got the W, we got the L, that's all that matters. Am I bummed? Sure, but that's just me being a fan, no differen't then anyone else.

CB1977
12-15-2008, 01:43 PM
I guess it's a good thing I could give two shits what like. Just keep doing what you're doing, sitting back and watching other teams play. :rofl:

In the end it was a hard fought game, and that's exactly what I thought it would be. Both defenses dominated most of the game. In the end the Steeler's got the W, we got the L, that's all that matters. Am I bummed? Sure, but that's just me being a fan, no differen't then anyone else.

I am a huge football fan and love watching the game. Yes I love my Browns, good or bad but, if you think that I just limit myself to watching only one team, you're dead wrong. I'm sure you watch other teams, right? :noidea:

The_WARDen
12-15-2008, 02:25 PM

That's what you'll be doing in 2 weeks...well, either that or reserving tee time.

:wave:

Steelthe#1dynasty
12-15-2008, 02:35 PM

I can't agree more with you! Just about every play Harrison is held. Funny thing is that our O-line puts one finger on the opponent and it stalls the drive. An absolute disgrace!

CB1977
12-15-2008, 02:38 PM
That's what you'll be doing in 2 weeks...well, either that or reserving tee time.

:wave:

Or, he could always take up knitting...

The_WARDen
12-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Or, he could always take up knitting...

I never stick up for Clowns' fans...I feel dirty.

:chuckle:

Frankie3521
12-15-2008, 02:44 PM
It's not like we wouldn't have had the ball with inches to go from the end zone. We drove the ball 92 yards, I believe we could have got an inch, or at least taken the game into overtime with a chippy field goal kick when our offense was looking terrific.

Lets not forget, there were many no-calls that went towards the Ravens way earlier in the game.

steelpride12
12-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Wow on NFL live today this was the headline of the Steelers-Ravens game: Pittsburgh Steal-ers?

CB1977
12-15-2008, 03:19 PM
I never stick up for Clowns' fans...I feel dirty.

:chuckle:

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy, c'mon! I've been nice to all of you Steelers fans today!

The least you could do is show this Browns fan a little love!!! :wink02:

fansince'76
12-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Wow on NFL live today this was the headline of the Steelers-Ravens game: Pittsburgh Steal-ers?

The Disney Channel II (ESPN) is a joke.

43Hitman
12-15-2008, 03:39 PM

Why am I not surprised.:coffee:

SteelCurtain7
12-15-2008, 03:48 PM
:crying03:The latest case of Sore-Loserman.