PDA

View Full Version : Randel El to the Bears?

TasmanianTroy271
12-15-2005, 08:45 PM
From ChicagoSports.com, you need to register to get it, so I'll summarize the story and post it if anyone wants to see the whole thing.

First Antwaan talks about his faith, and how he believes in God, Family, then football, and how religious he is. Then it goes into how he wants to be a sports broadcaster after his playing days, then it talks about his Free Agency

"Just as directly, Randle El answers a question about his upcoming free agency that could make him an attractive and affordable option for the team he grew up loving, the Bears, who will be in the market for a dynamic punt returner and a No. 2 receiver.

"Whatever God is going to bless or send us," Randle El said. "I don't know. Certainly I want to be here [in Pittsburgh], but at the same time you don't know what to expect."

Steelers coach Bill Cowher loves Randle El's toughness and the Rooney family-run organization values the strength of his character, but overall Randle El's season has fallen short of expectations. Pegged to replace Plaxico Burress as the team's deep threat, Randle El has caught 29 passes for 449 yards (15.5-yard average) and only one touchdown. He also has averaged a modest 7.6 yards per punt return.

"I think people would miss his personality and as a kick returner if he left, but many people don't think he has been an adequate replacement for Plaxico," said Savran, a Randle El supporter speaking for fans but not himself.

Randle El, still focused on making the playoffs, considers it premature to speculate on next season. He said he has "thought about" what it might be like to play for the Bears one day but quickly added, "That's not something I'm going to worry about right now."

This week offered enough potential distractions.

Tuesday, Randle El battled Kyle Orton in a promotional computer-game matchup for Xbox, the first time the two have competed against one another since November 2001 when Randle El's Indiana team beat Purdue 13-7 in Orton's first college start.

Wednesday, Randle El will scramble to find extra tickets for family members traveling from Chicago to Heinz Field for the game. He also has Saturday night dinner reservations to firm up with college teammate Adewale Ogunleye at a downtown steakhouse.

But the man with a street named after him in Riverdale will savor every hectic moment preparing to play against a Bears team he was "in awe of" as a three-sport standout at Thornton High School in Harvey.

"The only thing that would be better," Randle El said, smiling, "is if the game was at Soldier Field."

I wouldn't mind that much if El went to the Bears. I mean, of course I'd rather have him here, but The Bears are my NFC team, so if I could pick a team for him to go to, it'd be them. What do you think are the chances of us signing him back next year? Has he lived up to expectations? or is he still getting used to being a starter? He does have the added bonus of being a back-up QB ieeded, and he is a good punt returner f nwhen he gets a chance to get moving. Does he have a future here?

Dook
12-15-2005, 09:26 PM
The Steelers website shows Randel El with 31 catches, 2 less than the TE Heath Miller and 9 more than Cedric Wilson.

His cap hit is $616k, in my opinion this is about all he is worth.

It depends on how much money Randel El wants and thinks he is worth. I'm sure the Steelers will offer him a new contract for about the same amount of money as they are paying him, Randel will probably try to test the market and see if he can get more. Someone might pay him slightly more but I don't think there is really going to be much interest. He hasn't proven that he can play anything more than slot WR and special teams and he hasn't had any big games to impress other coach's.

I hope we seriously go after Reggie Wayne this off season but Philadelphia is $16 million under the cap (not counting money they will get back from TO) and they need to replace TO so he's probably going there.

We will likely draft a WR. I'm hoping in the 1st or 2nd.

BigDude66687
12-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Or we pursue owens, not many teams will

Dook
12-15-2005, 09:56 PM
TO destroys everything he gets close to, a product of a poor childhood where he didn't get enough attention. Unselfishness just isn't something he ever had a need for.

Keep the Steelers a class act.

Atlanta Dan
12-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Randel El is a #3 receiver and punt/kickoff returner; part of his problem has been the injuries to Ben all season, but he is simply too small to be a #2 receiver, which the Steelers clearly suspected when they gambled on bringing in Wilson to play opposite Hines and guessed wrong. Now they have starting WR $$$ tied up in malcontent Wilson

Randel-El might work out as a FA with a team that throws a lot, but that ain't the Bears. Steelers have other cap concerns and will not spend for what Randle-El can get from some team that is mesmerized by his occasional big returns - he seems to be a good guy but life goes on.

Sharkissle29
12-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Or we pursue owens, not many teams will
people really need to stop talking about TO, no offense. the rooneys would never go after a player like him. thats not what the pittsburgh steelers are about. our best bet is drafting a WR, hopefully he's not a dud like gibson. (sigh)

Mean Machine
12-17-2005, 05:45 AM
I don't know why all of the TO dialog because the Rooneys would never bring this kind of headcase to the team. TO is good in video games but that's it.

ARE isn't much on the team but if we can sign him to a cap friendly deal then I think it would be great to keep him around as a 3WR on this team. He's not All Pro type of player but he's good enough to have a place on this team. Don't break the bank or anything...

clevestinks
12-17-2005, 08:04 AM
I love Els versatility. But I think his punt returns have been below average this season. Get up field! He is a number three, but we need a big time number one.

2006 A big, tall , strong number one wideout. NO.1 A
Hines Ward will be our NO.1 B
And EL for the right cash NO.3

Dook
12-17-2005, 09:40 AM
I think we need an improvement at the WR position as well but we are a team that runs a lot so even if we had Reggie Wayne, he and Ward might not get enough attention.

Surely we could then open it up a bit, which I would like.

Stlrs4Life
12-17-2005, 09:45 AM
I like El also, but I think his days are numbered. He's not really worth a big raise that's for sure. I also believe we draft a WR this next draft.

Randle el#82
12-17-2005, 10:18 PM
NOOOO we better sign him next year or ill die X_X

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2005, 10:48 PM
El may attract some decent attention in FA, especially w/ teams needing a spark to special teams and good slot guy.

It shouldnt be that hard to resign him, especially w/ Wilson not liking his position on the team and probably will want a trade or outright release.

24seven
12-17-2005, 11:43 PM
I believe in Randle.. He's got a great personality and excellent moves.. Unfortunate events this year have kept his play mediocre but I'm sure you would see him shine wherever he goes.. I hope he goes right back where he belongs in the Steelers huddle!! Now if he'd lose that spin move on punt returns and the 10 yard backwards run I foresee an excellent return man.. we know he's got excellent hands and quick feet.. Why give up on him after 1 ok year.. ??

BlitzburghRockCity
12-18-2005, 12:44 AM
El's stats havent been that great for us.. when you consider our QB situation since mid way thru when tommy was in there and charlie.. that explains some of it. But also too the emergence of Heath has taken alot of balls that might have been thrown El's way too, especially across the middle.

LondonSteeler
12-18-2005, 02:18 AM
El may attract some decent attention in FA, especially w/ teams needing a spark to special teams and good slot guy.

It shouldnt be that hard to resign him, especially w/ Wilson not liking his position on the team and probably will want a trade or outright release.

some idiot team will throw no.2- no.1 money at him, i cant see him coming back, jeez i sound like the grim reaper, he'll want top tier no.2 money and its more than hes worth, dont get me wrong i really like ARE, but hes a good slot receiver, a good no.3 but he hasnt shown he can be the guy opposite hines every down.